The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"OTBC 2009 - The Horse Boy - Rupert Isaacson"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

Ahtumbreez 10456 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

07-07-09, 12:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ahtumbreez Click to send private message to Ahtumbreez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"OTBC 2009 - The Horse Boy - Rupert Isaacson"
LAST EDITED ON 07-07-09 AT 12:54 PM (EST)

When his son Rowan was diagnosed with autism, Rupert Isaacson was devastated, afraid he might never be able to communicate with his child. But when Isaacson, a lifelong horseman, rode their neighbor's horse with Rowan, Rowan improved immeasurably. He was struck with a crazy idea: why not take Rowan to Mongolia, the one place in the world where horses and shamanic healing intersected?

THE HORSE BOY is the dramatic and heartwarming story of that impossible adventure. In Mongolia, the family found undreamed of landscapes and people, unbearable setbacks, and advances beyond their wildest dreams. This is a deeply moving, truly one-of-a-kind story--of a family willing to go to the ends of the earth to help their son, and of a boy learning to connect with the world for the first time.

Ok - so I know I'm jumping the gun but I just wanted to remind everyone that this discussion starts on the 13th. Hopefully some of you have read it.

I'll edit this post to start the discussion.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: OTBC 2009 - The Horse Boy - Rup... Breezy 07-07-09 1
   RE: OTBC 2009 - The Horse Boy - Rup... Ahtumbreez 07-09-09 2
       RE: OTBC 2009 - The Horse Boy - Rup... Breezy 07-12-09 3
 RE: OTBC 2009 - The Horse Boy - Rup... Ahtumbreez 07-13-09 4
   My answers Breezy 07-13-09 5
   RE: OTBC 2009 - The Horse Boy - Rup... Ahtumbreez 07-14-09 6
       RE: OTBC 2009 - The Horse Boy - Rup... Breezy 07-14-09 7
           RE: OTBC 2009 - The Horse Boy - Rup... Ahtumbreez 07-14-09 8
 RE: OTBC 2009 - The Horse Boy - Rup... kingfish 07-14-09 9
   RE: OTBC 2009 - The Horse Boy - Rup... Breezy 07-14-09 10
       RE: OTBC 2009 - The Horse Boy - Rup... Ahtumbreez 07-14-09 11

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings

07-07-09, 03:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: OTBC 2009 - The Horse Boy - Rupert Isaacson"
I'm picking it up today or tomorrow, so I can read it on the train to Chicago Thursday.

Not sure what happened to Sherps and his flashfiction. I talked to him the week before the 4th and he was set...

An Agman original

07-09-09, 10:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ahtumbreez Click to send private message to Ahtumbreez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: OTBC 2009 - The Horse Boy - Rupert Isaacson"
*bumping

Everyone needs to take Breezy's lead and read this over the weekend.

07-12-09, 09:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: OTBC 2009 - The Horse Boy - Rupert Isaacson"
Finished it yesterday on the train back from Chicago.

07-13-09, 09:00 AM (EST)
4. "RE: OTBC 2009 - The Horse Boy - Rupert Isaacson"
1. Would you have picked up this book had it not been an OTBC book?

2. Isaacson takes us pretty much straight into the life of a parent of an autistic child. Did you find that you were imagining yourself in his place?

3. What did you think of the way the grandmother's behaved?

4. What was your reaction when Betsy and Rowan first met, and their first ride? Their relationship?

5. Without Isaacson's background do you think he would have ever thought of the idea to travel to Mongolia? Do you think if he were from a traditional religious background that the trip would have ever taken place? Would you set aside your religious background to persue an off the wall idea to help your child?

6. What did you think of Kristin's reaction to the idea of the trip? What would have been your reaction had your spouse presented you with the idea?

7. What did you think of Rowan's first meeting with the Shaman's in Mongolia? Kristin's and the black energy and the washing with vodka?

8. What was your reaction to what Ghoste told the Isaacson's, the ritual and the results? The statement that Rowan would be a shaman? Would you have taken the medicine that Ghoste prepared?

9. What do you think the Isaacson's biggest challenge was on the trip?

10. What do you think the Isaacson's biggest accomplishment was on the trip? Rowan's?

11. Did you enjoy the book?

07-13-09, 09:26 PM (EST)
5. "My answers"
Nope, so thanks for hosting it.

2. Isaacson takes us pretty much straight into the life of a parent of an autistic child. Did you find that you were imagining yourself in his place?
I did and it was scary.

Why can't I remember how the grandmother's behaved? I remember one mention of saying they were spoiling Rowen by letting him do what ever he wanted. Do you mean that? I believe it's because of the age, back in the day they wouldn't have handled Rowan the same way. Atleast that's how I read it.

4. What was your reaction when Betsy and Rowan first met, and their first ride? Their relationship?
It was wonderful and inspiring to read. Animals really can have a wonderful effect on children and the ailing. It was interesting to read how Betsy would submit to Rowan. How did she know? How do animals sense and know who needs to be treated specially?

5. Without Isaacson's background do you think he would have ever thought of the idea to travel to Mongolia? Do you think if he were from a traditional religious background that the trip would have ever taken place? Would you set aside your religious background to persue an off the wall idea to help your child?
I don't think he would have gone to Mongolia. Without his background he wouldn't have even had Rowan see the first shamans. It's hard to say if Ru and Kristin were from a traditional religious background that they would have explored this non-traditional idea. I would. But some truly religious would never, ever.

6. What did you think of Kristin's reaction to the idea of the trip? What would have been your reaction had your spouse presented you with the idea?
I agreed with Kristin, it was a crazy idea. I would have told him the same, if he could raise the money then "maybe". LOL It was a crazy idea!

7. What did you think of Rowan's first meeting with the Shaman's in Mongolia? Kristin's and the black energy and the washing with vodka?
His first meeting there was pretty intense. I do wonder if some of them were charltains, but some obviously did help some. I felt bad for Kristin, they all pretty much told her it was her fault Rowan was the way he was. She went into water she shouldn't have while pregnant, and then her crazy grandma.

8. What was your reaction to what Ghoste told the Isaacson's, the ritual and the results? The statement that Rowan would be a shaman? Would you have taken the medicine that Ghoste prepared?
After everything that already happened, yes I would have taken the medicine. Rowan being a shaman isn't that surprising. Most shaman's have a different way of thinking and seeing the world, so an autistic boy would be a very good candidate for a shaman.

I was on pins and needles waiting to read if what Ghoste told them about the results would come true. I teared up a little when Ru was dancing a happy dance for the indoor poopy.

What wasn't a challenge on the trip? I just can't imagine. The stress had to have been horrible. Ru's second guessing himself constantly had to be the worst. I think they found wonderful people to help them. I could totally see a guide leaving them out in the wilderness after one of Rowan's tantrums. That everyone stuck with them was amazing.

10. What do you think the Isaacson's biggest accomplishment was on the trip? Rowan's?
Keeping the faith and believing that they could help Rowan.

Not sure on Rowan. Maybe when the lightbulbs started coming on for him, he accepted it? I mean he could have put up a wall and not paid attention.

Yes I did. It was a very interesting read. I realize that this wouldn't work for all autistic children, but it was interesting to read what one family did.

07-14-09, 08:57 AM (EST)
6. "RE: OTBC 2009 - The Horse Boy - Rupert Isaacson"
LAST EDITED ON 07-14-09 AT 11:04 AM (EST)

I saw this book in an airport bookstore and didn't buy it but kept thinking about it. OTBC gave me an excuse to go find it and get it.

Through out the whole book I found myself wondering how I would handle situations. I think I was exhausted by books end, because of all the highs and lows.

I felt sorry for both Ru and Kristin. Having both grandmothers not understand a special needs kid today had to be hard on them. You'd think one of them would have been supportive instead of criticizing.

A long time ago I participated in a riding class for the handicap for a short time and never saw a horse submit like Betsy and other horses did for Rowan. I kept wondering if autistic children have a sort of, I don't know, electrical energy that the horses pick up on that the physical handicap don't have.

I was intrigued by how Ru's mind worked and how interesting his background was. I think I was more in awe of the scope of his plan than anything else. As far as pertaining to myself, in the same circumstances I would have persued it, so many things fell into place it would have been hard not too.

I can understand Kristin's reaction. But for myself I would have been more involved from the beginning. But I think I would have felt daunted at the perspective of flying from Texas to Mongolia with Rowan.

I loved every encounter with the shamans. But when they started with the whipping I cringed. I think I sympathized more with Kristin's skepticism then than at any other time. And then like Breezy I felt totally sorry for her.

The ritual wasn't nearly as intense as I thought it would be and who could argue with the results. I do wonder how Rowan becoming a shaman in the US will work. And yes, I would have taken the medicine but would have preferred they not tell me reindeer poop was in it.

I think for me it would have been keeping positive, or after a setback getting positive again.

I think the whole trip was such a bonding experience, and it gave them time with their son without outside distractions. For Rowan I think it was making a friend, his friendship with Tomoo made me cry.

Yep. It's one I would pick up again after a while. But I'd like a follow-up, because I find myself wondering how Rowan's doing now.

07-14-09, 09:35 AM (EST)
7. "RE: OTBC 2009 - The Horse Boy - Rupert Isaacson"
I wonder if they do a follow up in the documentary?

07-14-09, 11:05 AM (EST)
8. "RE: OTBC 2009 - The Horse Boy - Rupert Isaacson"
I hope so. I need to look and figure out what age Rowan is now.

kingfish 20752 desperate attention whore postings

07-14-09, 11:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: OTBC 2009 - The Horse Boy - Rupert Isaacson"
I can't join this discussion becasue I haven't read this book, nor will I in the near future. But FWIW, after reading your discussion, I am intrigued. Sounds very interesting. I think I'll order it and have it on hand for when I can read it.

07-14-09, 01:29 PM (EST)
10. "RE: OTBC 2009 - The Horse Boy - Rupert Isaacson"
I can send you my copy if you want.

07-14-09, 02:50 PM (EST)
11. "RE: OTBC 2009 - The Horse Boy - Rupert Isaacson"
My copy is making the rounds but if anyone wants to borrow it when it comes home, let me know.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •