The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"It won't stop him, but maybe it'll slow him down."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-05-09, 11:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"It won't stop him, but maybe it'll slow him down."
The consensus review for Land Of The Lost: it svcks. It royally svcks. As more reviews come in to pull down the number, it may wind up svcking even more. There may even be a chance that said svckage will hold down the ticket sales, although that brings us back to the lack of people who've gone broke betting on the stupidity of the American public -- especially when there's a false nostalgia factor involved.

And what I really, really hope it does is get someone to agree with me on the following:

I don't think Will Ferrell is funny.

I've never found him funny. In anything. He has never made me laugh. To sit through a Ferrell vehicle is to spend ninety minutes cringing so deep into the seat, there's a chance of ending the movie covered in other people's gum. He cannot pull off a joke. He can't be sympathetic, bold, self-parodying, or anything other than a smirking failed clown knowing he's getting paid for this no matter what anyone thinks of the work.

He has had material which would be funny in the hands of just about anyone else. He drags his scripts down. Some actors elevate their lines: he is the thespian equivalent of sewage-tainted quicksand.

And yet people go to see his svcky movies. And he keeps making more movies, which svck even more. Because he's playing a game, and the name of it is 'How long will people keep paying for this?' He gets worse and worse, no longer caring to even pretend about an effort on any level of the film, and it doesn't bother him because he still gets paid.

All I can hope is that this particular box office will svck so much, it slows him down just a little. Not stopping him. Nothing will stop him. But at the very least, a minor hit of the brakes. Maybe if I'm very lucky, he'll only get paid fifteen million for his next piece of ultra-svck.

In closing: Will Ferrell is completely useless as an actor and a comedian. Please stop seeing his movies. Oh, and if you see him on the street, consider punching him in the face. You'll feel better. Or at least I will.

Thank you.

http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/landofthelost

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: It won't stop him, but m... HistoryDetective 06-05-09 1
   RE: It won't stop him, but m... Estee 06-05-09 4
       RE: It won't stop him, but m... HistoryDetective 06-05-09 7
           RE: It won't stop him, but m... Estee 06-05-09 9
   RE: It won't stop him, but m... Max Headroom 06-05-09 12
   RE: It won't stop him, but m... bacon 06-05-09 21
       RE: It won't stop him, but m... HistoryDetective 06-05-09 23
 RE: It won't stop him, but m... grit 06-05-09 2
 RE: It won't stop him, but m... Ahtumbreez 06-05-09 3
   RE: It won't stop him, but m... thndrkttn 06-05-09 10
 RE: It won't stop him, but m... Snidget 06-05-09 5
 RE: It won't stop him, but m... kingfish 06-05-09 6
 RE: It won't stop him, but m... J Slice 06-05-09 8
   RE: It won't stop him, but m... Sagebrush Dan 06-05-09 11
   RE: It won't stop him, but m... SherpaDave 06-05-09 16
   ...more cow bell! bondt007 06-06-09 25
 Alert: Thread Hijacking in progr... kingfish 06-05-09 13
 Opposite Opinion bacon 06-05-09 14
   RE: Opposite Opinion Ahtumbreez 06-05-09 17
       RE: Opposite Opinion bacon 06-05-09 18
       RE: Opposite Opinion HistoryDetective 06-05-09 19
 RE: It won't stop him, but m... arkiegrl 06-05-09 15
   RE: It won't stop him, but m... cahaya 06-05-09 22
 RE: It won't stop him, but m... cahaya 06-05-09 20
 RE: It won't stop him, but m... Jims02 06-05-09 24

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

HistoryDetective 9516 desperate attention whore postings

06-05-09, 11:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail HistoryDetective Click to send private message to HistoryDetective Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: It won't stop him, but maybe it'll slow him down."
The consensus review for Land Of The Lost: it svcks. It royally svcks.

Of course it does: it stars Will Ferrell.

The only way to increase the suckage quotient would be to throw in Jim Carrey and Adam Sandler.

Mike Myers too!

06-05-09, 11:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: It won't stop him, but maybe it'll slow him down."
LAST EDITED ON 06-05-09 AT 11:33 AM (EST)

What saves Carrey and Sandler for me is that each has made one movie I really enjoyed: The Truman Show and 50 First Dates, respectively. (I've been advised to see Punch-Drunk Love, but haven't gotten to it on the list.) They've both made bad movies (more for Sandler than Carrey), but at least there's a core of real comedic talent there: with the right material, either one can shine. And they've each developed real characters that go beyond single-note roles, so there are acting chops on tap.

Ferrell, as noted in the Austin Chronicle review (I've been browsing), has one shtick and one note: man-child forced to mature by as much as one whole week. It wore out in less than the time it took to write that line. And he never, ever changes it. Because people keep paying to see it.

People can be really hard to understand sometimes.

ETA: As for Mike Myers: he makes movies?

06-05-09, 11:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail HistoryDetective Click to send private message to HistoryDetective Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: It won't stop him, but maybe it'll slow him down."
As for Mike Myers: he makes movies?

Well, I suppose Love Guru was closer to waterboarding than entertainment so, indeed, it might not really qualify as a movie.

"We must scrupulously guard the civil rights and civil liberties of all our citizens, whatever their background. We must remember that any oppression, any injustice, any hatred, is a wedge designed to attack our civilization." --- Franklin Delano Roosevelt, 9 January 1940

06-05-09, 11:59 AM (EST)
9. "RE: It won't stop him, but maybe it'll slow him down."
Metacritic rating on The Love Guru: 24 out of 100.

Which at least puts it on the level of repeated kicks to the shin.

Max Headroom 10069 desperate attention whore postings

06-05-09, 01:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: It won't stop him, but maybe it'll slow him down."
*sits with HD and Estee*

I won't watch a movie if it stars Will Ferrell, Jim Carrey, or Adam Sandler either.

"Play expert, you noob." - Max's DS

bacon 2824 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

06-05-09, 05:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bacon Click to send private message to bacon Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: It won't stop him, but maybe it'll slow him down."
I would actually disagree that the consensus among critics is that Will Ferrell is unfunny. His roles in Anchorman, Talladega Nights, Old School, and Wedding Crashers were generally well received. His portrayal of President Bush is also well respected, and generally thought to be the best of the Bush impressions.

Besides, I'm not sure why Ferrell is being picked on when a comedian of epic suckage seems to keep making his way into movies, seemingly every weekend. Dane Cook is easily the worst comedian of the last 20 years. Now tell me how that guy gets work?

06-05-09, 05:45 PM (EST)
23. "RE: It won't stop him, but maybe it'll slow him down."
Well, with those abs I have a suggestion for another film genre where you could send him...

"We must scrupulously guard the civil rights and civil liberties of all our citizens, whatever their background. We must remember that any oppression, any injustice, any hatred, is a wedge designed to attack our civilization." --- Franklin Delano Roosevelt, 9 January 1940

grit 4868 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

06-05-09, 11:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail grit Click to send private message to grit Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: It won't stop him, but maybe it'll slow him down."
*sits with estee*

Okay, you've said EVERYTHING I feel about Will Ferrell. My immature, goofus nephew loves all of his movies which only confirms my feelings that Will Ferrell is a moron.

another agman creation

And the man probably laughs his way to the bank every time...

Ahtumbreez 10456 desperate attention whore postings

06-05-09, 11:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Ahtumbreez Click to send private message to Ahtumbreez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: It won't stop him, but maybe it'll slow him down."
I'm seeing it, AND I plan on enjoying it. But I come from a family that still says and snickers at "Dear sweet 8lb 6oz little Baby Jesus" when we're all together. And we still get smacked by our Dad.

Mangalicious by The Slice
09/25/2008 Bre left for Iraq
04/29/2009 Bre left Iraq
06/11/2009 Bre gets a hug from Mom

thndrkttn 3216 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

06-05-09, 12:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail thndrkttn Click to send private message to thndrkttn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: It won't stop him, but maybe it'll slow him down."
Ha! We throw Baby Jesus references around all the time. That scene had my DH and me on the floor laughing.

And yes, we're going to see the movie tomorrow. HOWEVER, this is more for love of Kenny Effing Powers than Will Ferrel.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

06-05-09, 11:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: It won't stop him, but maybe it'll slow him down."
There was a time where I think some of what he did on SNL made me smile.

But I think that was probably more because of other people in the skit or the writers.

I don't think I've actually seen any Will Ferrel Movies. I don't see that many and they all seem really high on the dumb scale. I like comedy, but I don't really like the how stupid can we get comedy movies.

SoYouThinkYouCanTribe!
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10009083-land_of_the_lost/ has similarly bad numbers.

kingfish 20752 desperate attention whore postings

06-05-09, 11:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: It won't stop him, but maybe it'll slow him down."
I agree about Ferrell, when he is funny it's because of his co-stars, or exceptional writing that he can't quite ruin. Or Special Effects which seem to be pretty good in the trailers of LoL.

And this is coming from me, a guy who thinks Larry the Cable guy is funny. He has some pretty good lines in his stage acts.

Also about Sandler, his humor seems so self indulgent.

However, I did think it was funny when Ferrell ate an deer's eyeball during his survival in the wilderness experience with Bear Grils. It appeared that he actually did it. As we all know (now, if not previously) there are a lot of self-entitled "Hollywood Celebrities" who would not do that, for money, laughs, or anything else.

J Slice 13166 desperate attention whore postings

06-05-09, 11:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail J%20Slice Click to send private message to J%20Slice Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: It won't stop him, but maybe it'll slow him down."
I hate Anchorman, and I never understood what was so hilarious about Old School.

He did one thing on SNL many years ago that I enjoyed, when he and Ana Gasteyer were the Culps, and they sang HORRIBLY.

I will also freely admit to liking Stranger Than Fiction, but I say that as a writer, above all else. Also, he wasn't doing his idiot-mugging thing for 2 hours straight.

Sagebrush Dan 10002 desperate attention whore postings

06-05-09, 12:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sagebrush%20Dan Click to send private message to Sagebrush%20Dan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: It won't stop him, but maybe it'll slow him down."
Yeah, liked the Culps. Also liked his deer-in-the-headlights take on W. But, otherwise, I'm with Estee.

Utsukushii Kaiga Kire Cho

SherpaDave 8326 desperate attention whore postings

06-05-09, 02:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SherpaDave Click to send private message to SherpaDave Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: It won't stop him, but maybe it'll slow him down."
Ditto on "Stranger than Fiction." He wasn't Will Ferrell in that, though.

bondt007 3413 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

06-06-09, 01:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail bondt007 Click to send private message to bondt007 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "...more cow bell!"

Stranger Then Fiction is an amazing movie.

kingfish 20752 desperate attention whore postings

06-05-09, 01:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "Alert: Thread Hijacking in progress.."
This thread has now become "What is mas funnier than Will Ferrell?"

This, for instance:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090605/ap_on_en_ot/us_games_e3_protest_2

Now, we return you to your regularly scheduled (for Starshine, this is Shed-uled) thread before Estee figures out my new FBI bestowed identity.

06-05-09, 01:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bacon Click to send private message to bacon Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "Opposite Opinion"
No, I won't be seeing "Land of the Lost", but that's mostly because I don't understand the connection between the original show being combined with Ferrell's brand of comedy. The two just don't seem to mesh well. It's as if the creators realized they didn't have a good idea and said "Gee, maybe if we got someone like Will Ferrell to star in it he could add a zippy line or two and save us from this 100 million dollar mistake!".

That being said, Anchorman is hilarious. It's one of the most quoted comedies of the last 10 years. Just the idea of a movie parody about newsmen of the 70's is enough to make me laugh, nevertheless when Ferrell can't help but read everything on a teleprompter("I'm Ron Burgundy?").

Ferrell may play slight variations on the same character, angry man-child, but his comic timing is so precise that I can't help but laugh at him.

I also don't understand why people get completely offended when comedic actors, like Ferrell, don't "grow up". Do we really want him to? Jim Carrey and Adam Sandler have attempted such things with very little success. Carrey, to his credit, did work in excellent dramatic material("Endless Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" and "Truman Show"), but he also has just as many, if not more, clunkers in drama than he does in comedy. I mean, did anyone see "The Number 23"? You call that growth? Personally I'd rather see him try another "Dumb and Dumber" style comedy. And if you can honestly say D&D wasn't funny, well, you have no funnybone.

Ahtumbreez 10456 desperate attention whore postings

06-05-09, 02:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ahtumbreez Click to send private message to Ahtumbreez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Opposite Opinion"
I also don't understand why people get completely offended when comedic actors, like Ferrell, don't "grow up". Do we really want him to?

I'm sitting with bacon on this one.

Mangalicious by The Slice
09/25/2008 Bre left for Iraq
04/29/2009 Bre left Iraq
06/11/2009 Bre gets a hug from Mom

06-05-09, 02:59 PM (EST)
18. "RE: Opposite Opinion"
*feels the love*

06-05-09, 03:42 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Opposite Opinion"
I also don't understand why people get completely offended when comedic actors, like Ferrell, don't "grow up". Do we really want him to?

I'm not offended, just annoyed. And whether or not I want him to grow up doesn't matter. I just want him to go away.

arkiegrl 9421 desperate attention whore postings

06-05-09, 01:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail arkiegrl Click to send private message to arkiegrl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: It won't stop him, but maybe it'll slow him down."
I just don't get Will Ferrell. I think my son may want to go see this movie. Luckily, he's 17, so if he wants to waste his money and time, that's on him, my presence would not be required.

I also don't like most of Jim Carrey's work. I do like a couple of Adam Sandler's movies, but most of them just seem to be the same script, just with a few details changed here and there. And while we're listing other actors that just aren't that funny, I'd have to throw in Jack Black.

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

06-05-09, 05:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: It won't stop him, but maybe it'll slow him down."
LAST EDITED ON 06-05-09 AT 05:39 PM (EST)

Both Carrey and Sandler (and even Black) are good in limited dosages as they put a different spin on things, although too much of the same slapstick can be tiresome. As a guitarist, I liked The School of Rock. Pretty good sets in there that progressed with the plot line.

Agman's Muse

Music? comedy? it's The Blues Brothers.

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

06-05-09, 05:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: It won't stop him, but maybe it'll slow him down."
LAST EDITED ON 06-05-09 AT 05:25 PM (EST)

ed. is/was

Hey, I (usually with my family) only go out to movies about five times a year with two or three of these at a classic rural summer drive-in with both speakers and AM/FM, like WALL•E last summer.

This clown out of a few movie outings in a year? ain' no way. I actually had to google his image to get a fix on who he is/was.

Jims02 7407 desperate attention whore postings

06-05-09, 11:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Jims02 Click to send private message to Jims02 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: It won't stop him, but maybe it'll slow him down."
LAST EDITED ON 06-05-09 AT 11:03 PM (EST)

Yeah, I don't get the love for Will Ferrell. I've never been able to stand him in any of his comedies. I can understand that others might like it, but his brand of humor does little for me.

I did, however, think he was really great in Stranger Than Fiction. Mostly because Will Ferrell plays the straight man really well. I mean, anyone who saw him in the Celebrity Jeopardy skits on SNL would agree with me on that one. It's when he gets cuckoo-bananas wacky that he annoying. At least to me.

Of course, I always like comedians more when they do their dramatic films. My favorite Jim Carrey movies are The Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. And Adam Sandler was absolutely brilliant in Punch-Drunk Love. It's definitely a quirky movie to say the least and can feel pretentious sometimes, but Sandler's performance is amazing.

A 2003 IceCat original

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •