The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Quick product satisfaction survey"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

Molaholic 9015 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-03-09, 03:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Quick product satisfaction survey"
My dad is in the market from one of those stick-to-the-windshield type GPS/trip planner devices. Any recommendations? Any anti-recommendations? He wants to keep the price in the $150 neighborhood.

TYVM

Zounds! Agman dos’t make sig!
Mole Speak < --- It’s updated!

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Quick product satisfaction surv... Lasann 06-03-09 1
 RE: Quick product satisfaction surv... cipher5150 06-03-09 2
 RE: Quick product satisfaction surv... PepeLePew13 06-03-09 3
   RE: Quick product satisfaction surv... Silvergirl1 06-03-09 10
 RE: Quick product satisfaction surv... SherpaDave 06-03-09 4
 I *heart* my nüvi moonbaby 06-03-09 5
   RE: I *heart* my nüvi PepeLePew13 06-03-09 7
       RE: I *heart* my nüvi sica077 06-04-09 11
 RE: Quick product satisfaction surv... kingfish 06-03-09 6
   RE: Quick product satisfaction surv... grit 06-03-09 8
       RE: Quick product satisfaction surv... kingfish 06-04-09 12
       RE: Quick product satisfaction surv... byoffer 06-04-09 16
       RE: Quick product satisfaction surv... HobbsofMI 06-04-09 17
       RE: Quick product satisfaction surv... CTgirl 06-04-09 21
   name dropper! Capn2patch 06-03-09 9
       RE: name dropper! kingfish 06-04-09 13
 RE: Quick product satisfaction surv... samboohoo 06-04-09 14
 Garmin Nuvi byoffer 06-04-09 15
   RE: Garmin Nuvi PepeLePew13 06-04-09 18
       RE: Garmin Nuvi HobbsofMI 06-04-09 19
 RE: Quick product satisfaction surv... bystander 06-04-09 20
 RE: Quick product satisfaction surv... Colonel Zoidberg 06-04-09 22

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Lasann 3616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

06-03-09, 03:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Lasann Click to send private message to Lasann Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Quick product satisfaction survey"
Yep - I love mine.

Sorry no guidance however because I don't know the brand or who put it in for me. Dbf took care of it.

cipher5150 166 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

06-03-09, 04:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cipher5150 Click to send private message to cipher5150 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Quick product satisfaction survey"
I’m not familiar with all the types of GPS devices – are there any that don’t attached to the windshield? I ask because he should be aware that in many jurisdictions having anything that obscures/blocks the windshield is illegal. In my experience most law enforcement generally won’t pull you over specifically because of it, but they can if they want to. And if they pull him over for something else they can give him a ticket for the device attached to his windshield too. Although given the proliferation of GPS devices I don’t think there is a lot of enforcement of this.

One officer I talked to in Pennsylvania told me they can even pull you over for the little parking permit tags that many people have hanging from their rearview mirror (which block a lot less of the windshield than a GPS unit).

Probably not an issue for your father as I expect the police aren’t looking for a reason to pull him over…just an fyi.

PepeLePew13 26135 desperate attention whore postings

06-03-09, 04:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Quick product satisfaction survey"
Mine is a Garmin Nuvi 270. Love it. I don't use the voice commands on there, so I can't tell you if that part is any good or not, but the visuals/directions are excellent and clear for me.

You can keep an eye out for sales - there are frequently sales for all kinds of GPS planners, sometimes they'll be more than half price off (i.e. $99). Garmin and TomTom are apparently the most popular brands up here, while I don't know much about the Magellan and Mio brands.

Stinky Musings <--- blog's been updated!

Silvergirl1 9342 desperate attention whore postings

06-03-09, 10:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Silvergirl1 Click to send private message to Silvergirl1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Quick product satisfaction survey"

While my niece was visiting, she and I drove to several places unknown, and she used her Garmin GPS to get there. I don't know the model, but it's a handheld unit.

I was impressed by it. I really want one now.

It has a nice female voice, with the option of choosing a man's voice, which J said has an English accent.

It got us where we wanted to go, and when J forgot to make a turn, it told her it was recalculating the route. I thought that it was very helpful.

Agman, 2008

SherpaDave 8326 desperate attention whore postings

06-03-09, 06:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SherpaDave Click to send private message to SherpaDave Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Quick product satisfaction survey"
Once I figured out how to reset destinations, I got to really liking our Tomtom. It seems to be among the cheaper models out there, but is just as effective. Only the interface was confusing at first.

moonbaby 17120 desperate attention whore postings

06-03-09, 07:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail moonbaby Click to send private message to moonbaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "I *heart* my nüvi"
I don't know what model it is, I got it as a gift and it is wonderful but in some rare instances not always correct I also got the beanbag thing to plop it on the dash instead of sticking it on the windshield. Better visibility that way.

You can download other vehicles into it, I use a little red wagon. There are seasonal voices, too, for Halloween and Christmas. Fun!

06-03-09, 07:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: I *heart* my nüvi"
I used a white car with a Christmas tree on the roof for a while as my Nuvi vehicle...

You're right, it's not perfect -- it inexplicably cuts off one street block around the corner from my house where it gives you directions to turn right, turn left, turn left again and turn right back onto the same street as there's a missing block that stretches a mere 3 or 4 houses on the Nuvi. And there's one going up from Niagara Falls where, if I followed their directions exactly, I'd end up floating my car for 50km across Lake Ontario.

Still, it's very accurate for probably 99 percent of the routes and I've never ended up in an odd place (yet). I punched in the address for the Rochester Institute of Technology about 2.5 hours away, and I didn't have to look up at the highway signs once to double check - took me exactly where I needed to go.

sica077 523 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

06-04-09, 08:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail sica077 Click to send private message to sica077 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: I *heart* my nüvi"
>And there's one going
>up from Niagara Falls where,
>if I followed their directions
>exactly, I'd end up floating
>my car for 50km across
>Lake Ontario.

I cannot stop smiling... if anyone watches The Office, I hope you are smiling, too!

kingfish 20752 desperate attention whore postings

06-03-09, 07:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Quick product satisfaction survey"
LAST EDITED ON 06-03-09 AT 08:02 PM (EST)

I used a Garmin (model unknown, it did talk though) to help me drive from Madrid thru northern Spain, Portugal, and back through Southern Spain to Madrid. And it was a lifesaver. You have to have the right maps loaded into it. But it knew all the most out of the way roads. It was wonderful. We rented villas in Portugal and S. Spain, and it took us right up to them. I've taken driving trips through foreign countries before, and it's doable without the Garmin, but it made it so much easier. The extras such as the restaurant locater, hotels, shopping areas, were very helpful.

So I bought one. I got the Garmin because I became enamored of it on that trip, but from what I hear Tomtom is just as good. Heck, maybe it's better.

Here in the states I pretty much know how to get wherever I need to go, so I rarely use it. If I had been smart I wouldn't have bought it, I can still just rent one when I rent a car in an unfamiliar town or country.

If I get a new car (I hear Pontiacs are a steal right now-jk-) I'll probably get that as an accessory, against my better judgement.

The only dissatisfaction I have with it is the windshield suction holder. Once you get it to hold, it's like a death grip, but I have a devil of a time getting it to grip right, and it's very inconvenient when it falls off for seemingly no reason at just the most wrong time.

grit 4868 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

06-03-09, 08:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail grit Click to send private message to grit Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Quick product satisfaction survey"
Don't get the GPS in the car. That adds about $1,000 to the price of the car. You can get a good GPS for a lot less than that. Plus you can take it out of the car in a city and use it to navigate the streets. My Nuvi was really helpful in Ottawa and NYC. I don't remember what model I have but I know it's a higher end model. It works very well for me.

I got sliced!

06-04-09, 08:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Quick product satisfaction survey"
Good point!

byoffer 15947 desperate attention whore postings

06-04-09, 09:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Quick product satisfaction survey"
Very good point, Grit. The other problem I have with getting that sort of thing in the car is maintenance costs. If a store-bought GPS breaks, then you can return it to the store (if there is a warranty) or replace it for about $250. I don't want to imagine how much it would cost to have the car dealership repair a non-warranty built-in GPS. Ditto to built-in DVD players.

HobbsofMI 16065 desperate attention whore postings

06-04-09, 09:28 AM (EST)
Click to EMail HobbsofMI Click to send private message to HobbsofMI Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Quick product satisfaction survey"
If you have a MS Mobile phone with a built in GPS, you can download MS Live Search. It does what all the hand held can do but no voice.

The Nav in our Mariner is ok, but the CD was out of data when we got it and a replacement is a couple of hundred bucks but so far we have not had that big of problems with things missing to shell out the money. I think Chrysler's it downloads up to date maps and I'm not sure what others do.

GO WINGS! 2008 Stanley Cup Champs!
sig JSlice and by IceCat, and bobble head by Tribephyl

CTgirl 8013 desperate attention whore postings

06-04-09, 05:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CTgirl Click to send private message to CTgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Quick product satisfaction survey"
In addition, you can take the GPS with you when you rent a car and don't have to pay to rent one.

Capn2patch 2785 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

06-03-09, 10:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Capn2patch Click to send private message to Capn2patch Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "name dropper!"

06-04-09, 08:42 AM (EST)
13. "RE: name dropper!"
LAST EDITED ON 06-04-09 AT 08:42 AM (EST)

Hey, I'm a celebrity! Too big a celebrity to be here! And I'm holier than all of you too!

But if you let me back in I'll sleep with spiders and snakes.

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings

06-04-09, 08:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Quick product satisfaction survey"
LAST EDITED ON 06-04-09 AT 08:51 AM (EST)

I think we have one of those Garmin ones. DH bought it for about $300 two years ago. Now you can get it for about $200.

It's nice, and you can adjust the voice. The only downside is that there are times when an address is not in its database, so it's useless. Make sure you program it before you are on the road.

ETA: We didn't mount ours, we just plug it in and keep it up in the radio/dash area.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

byoffer 15947 desperate attention whore postings

06-04-09, 09:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "Garmin Nuvi"
I have one of these also, and found it very useful on our recent trip to Florida. Not sure how your dad will use his, but here are the features that I liked:
- big(ish) easy-to-read screen, with touch screen navigation
- map mode and direction mode. I usually left the display on direction mode so that I knew the distance to the next instruction
- search capabilities (sort of like rolling yellow pages). On the one I have, while driving down the road I can search for upcoming gas stations, restaurants, hotels, etc. The one I have lets me search by category or business name. I used that feature a bunch of times.

Good luck.

06-04-09, 10:57 AM (EST)
18. "RE: Garmin Nuvi"
Yeah that's one of my favourite things about the Garmin Nuvi - I punch in where I'm going, then along the way one of the kids say they have to go to the bathroom or we need to refuel (both the car with gas and our brains with coffee), I can just punch in a search for what's in the immediate vicinity, it comes up on the Nuvi as a 'via point' without losing your final destination. Great for temporary highway stops for meals/gas.

HobbsofMI 16065 desperate attention whore postings

06-04-09, 11:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail HobbsofMI Click to send private message to HobbsofMI Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Garmin Nuvi"
I know most of the in-car Nav systems won't like you do that because it's a safety hazard. Our Mariner says pull over to do that with is annoying because there could be a passenger using it.

GO WINGS! 2008 Stanley Cup Champs!
sig JSlice and by IceCat, and bobble head by Tribephyl

bystander 4968 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

06-04-09, 12:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bystander Click to send private message to bystander Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Quick product satisfaction survey"
Go for a Garmin. Stay away from the TomTom. I have one of each and my Garmin that is 5 years old has much better maps than my TomTom which is 1 year old. I can't tell you how many times my TomTom showed me driving off the road. It's ridiculous.

Colonel Zoidberg 3662 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

06-04-09, 10:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to send private message to Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Quick product satisfaction survey"
My wife got a Tomtom for her birthday two years ago, and it got her through the streets of Miami, Chicago, and Detroit with no difficulty. It's great - though it's not perfect; it seems never to have heard of Rt. 23 and tried to take us a rather bizarre way up to the Joe when we went in April for a day trip.

I can't really speak for the Garmins or anything else.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •