The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Two for Twosday - My Generation"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-02-09, 08:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Two for Twosday - My Generation"
People try to put us d-down (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Just because we get around (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Things they do look awful c-c-cold (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I hope I die before I get old (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

This is my generation
This is my generation, baby

Oh, sorry. I forgot. The only people who think I can sing are me and my son.

IMO, it's very easy to think about all the good stuff of today that we wish could have been a part of life in our day - whenever "your" day was. So today, I want you to tell us two things from your generation that today's will never have the pleasure of experiencing.

Me:

1. Walking. I suppose I could lump in other methods of travel here, but walking is the big one. Growing up, there was no car for my immediate family. An aunt or another family would take us to church on Sundays. Everywhere else, I walked. For years. There were some round trips of 6 - 8 miles, and it was nothing to do it. I did occasionally ride the city bus and, when older, rode a bike. But I walked a lot growing up.

2. Sending letters in the mail. I used to love writing letters. There was a store that I would go to and buy stationery with matching envelopes. I still try to send notes, cards, etc., but I have found that I don't have the time for it these days.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation frodis 06-02-09 1
   RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation samboohoo 06-02-09 4
   RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation Breezy 06-02-09 5
       RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation byoffer 06-02-09 24
           RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation Ahtumbreez 06-02-09 29
 RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation Tenorsaxy 06-02-09 2
   RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation frodis 06-02-09 3
       RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation Tenorsaxy 06-02-09 7
           RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation frodis 06-02-09 9
       RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation samboohoo 06-02-09 10
           Just got one word for you Breezy 06-02-09 11
           RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation frodis 06-02-09 18
   RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation Breezy 06-02-09 8
       RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation samboohoo 06-02-09 12
       RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation Tenorsaxy 06-02-09 16
       RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation frodis 06-02-09 17
       RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation Starshine 06-02-09 44
 RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation brvnkrz 06-02-09 6
   RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation samboohoo 06-02-09 13
       RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation brvnkrz 06-02-09 20
           RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation Starshine 06-02-09 45
   RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation arkiegrl 06-02-09 14
       RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation brvnkrz 06-02-09 19
           RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation byoffer 06-02-09 25
 RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation arkiegrl 06-02-09 15
 RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation Sagebrush Dan 06-02-09 21
   RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation jbug 06-02-09 53
 RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation Molaholic 06-02-09 22
 RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation Max Headroom 06-02-09 23
 RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation nailbone 06-02-09 26
 RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation byoffer 06-02-09 27
 RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation jbug 06-02-09 28
   RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation Silvergirl1 06-02-09 34
   RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation Lasann 06-02-09 46
 RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation Ahtumbreez 06-02-09 30
   RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation jbug 06-02-09 31
   RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation Snidget 06-02-09 36
 RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation Silvergirl1 06-02-09 32
   RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation jbug 06-02-09 35
 RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation J Slice 06-02-09 33
 RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation Snidget 06-02-09 37
 RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation DoodleBug 06-02-09 38
   RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation CTgirl 06-02-09 51
       RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation jbug 06-02-09 52
 RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation mysticwolf 06-02-09 39
 RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation PepeLePew13 06-02-09 40
   RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation bullzeye 06-02-09 49
       RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation CTgirl 06-02-09 54
       RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation Breezy 06-03-09 57
   RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation cahaya 06-03-09 58
 RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation Starshine 06-02-09 41
   RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation jbug 06-02-09 48
       RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation Starshine 06-02-09 50
 RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation sittem 06-02-09 42
   RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation jbug 06-02-09 47
 RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation Sunny_Bunny 06-02-09 43
   RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation Silvergirl1 06-03-09 56
 RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation cahaya 06-02-09 55
 RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation weltek 06-04-09 59
   RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation samboohoo 06-04-09 60

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

frodis 4442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

06-02-09, 09:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail frodis Click to send private message to frodis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
1. Having to find things to amuse ourselves. We didn't have cable (the earliest cable-like service we had was OnTV, and it only had programming at night) and I remember on Saturdays there wasn't really anything on TV unless we wanted to watch Wide World of Sports (which I did, sometimes. I miss Wide World of Sports, too.)

My brother and I would have to spend hours and hours making up our own games and adventures. I think today there are so many activities and distractions and toys that direct play that kids don't have the challenge to make up their own stuff as much. I mean, my brother and I had a game where we'd throw an uneven number of M&Ms around the basement and whoever found the most, "won." Then we'd throw them again. It wasn't Nintendo, but it kept us busy for hours.

2. Freedom, or some childhood version of it. We used to take off on our bikes first thing in the morning and be gone all day. I don't remember ever having a plan to be able to tell my mother where we were going. We'd ride to the 7-11 to buy grape Hubba-Bubba and then chew all of it before we went home because we weren't allowed to have gum. We'd ride to the park, then to the far park, then to the park by Grammy's house. . .

Even though my neighborhood is quiet and friendly I just don't see my kids having the freedom to hop on their bikes and be gone all day. It's just not possible these days.

Summer fun, Sharnina-style!

06-02-09, 09:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
Right there with you on the freedom issue. When I was 5, I was on my own. Sunup to Sundown. As I am sitting here trying to figure out the plan for Conner when he goes to school this fall, I'm shaking my head thinking about what I used to do.

Our county is not allowed to let a kid off the bus without a parent or other guardian there (up to 3rd grade). There are times I am happy about this, but other times I think it completely sucks.

Guess what one of the "busy things" we used to do when we had all that freedom growing up: sitting in the library for hours.

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 09:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
The only one I could think of was Freedom. We kids were kicked out of the house when the sun came up and told to come home for dinner during the summer. Too many crazies in the world now, I know there were some when we were young... but there seem to be a lot more now.

My Personal 3Day Page

byoffer 15947 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 10:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
We kids were kicked out of the house when the sun came up and told to come home for dinner during the summer.

That is exactly how it was for us too. "Home when the street lights come on" was the mantra. I can't even imagine suggesting that to kids now.

Ahtumbreez 10456 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 11:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Ahtumbreez Click to send private message to Ahtumbreez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
*squeezes into the group

We didn't have street lights out in the country so the mantra at our house was "I better see you before the moon does."

I'll have to think on the other for a bit.

Mangalicious by The Slice

Tenorsaxy 947 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

06-02-09, 09:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Tenorsaxy Click to send private message to Tenorsaxy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
1) I'm completely with you on the letter-writing thing. It takes more time, thought, and love to write and mail it as opposed to texting, posting, or emailing. A couple months back I discovered a bunch of letters that my friends had written to me from summer camps and grandma's house during our middle school years - they were so cute.

2) Home cooked meals. I suppose some kids still have a parent who insists on a sit-down full-family meal with a full plate of "balanced" nutrition, but I don't know any of those families. I also personally miss being able to eat that full plate of food that someone else cooked while being oblivious to the fat and calorie content.

SpringTime SharTribe 2008

06-02-09, 09:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail frodis Click to send private message to frodis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
I agree with you and Boo on the letter-writing, too. in college my roommate spent a semester abroad, and we wrote massive missives to each other while she was gone. The funny thing was that we had email, but we saved all of the good stuff for the letters. They were big, fat, 30-pages handwritten on college-ruled notebook paper. I used to use different colored pens to keep the reading interesting.

As for family dinner, I'm trying to have sit down family meals with as balanced nutrition as I can muster. I do cook dinner every night (well, almost every night) and try to include veggies and fruits and whole grains. (My latest new thing is Quinoa.)

My daughter doesn't always eat everything and more often than not my son decides to wake up and need to be fed right when i pick up a fork, but I figure if I don't at least try to establish family dinner time now, while they're small, it'll never happen down the road when the kids have schedules of their own.

But then sometimes? It's pizza night. I'm not that good all the time.

06-02-09, 09:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Tenorsaxy Click to send private message to Tenorsaxy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
So when is this family meal time? I'll bring the soap so I can do the dishes afterwords!

06-02-09, 09:32 AM (EST)
9. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
Come on over. Tonight it's stuffed pork chops and sauteed spinach with bacon and onions.

Last night it was meatloaf with mashed potatoes and green beans (can you think of a more 1950's family dinner than that?)

I'm trying. I have to admit that some days Mr. Fro gets home and asks what's for dinner and I just say, "I don't know" and we all end up eating macaroni and cheese.

06-02-09, 09:32 AM (EST)
10. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
I will agree with the two of you on the meal thing. I used to love to cook, but I have grown tired of getting home at 6, starting dinner and cleaning up after. Plus my kid is so darn picky - getting better, but still picky. Dinner has become another job for me, and it sucks.

Frody: We didn't have email during my college days. Or cell phones. It could have made a difference in a certain relationship. Possibly. And when we broke up, I gave all of the letters he ever wrote me back to him. I now wish I hadn't - it was dramatic.

06-02-09, 09:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "Just got one word for you"
Crockpot

06-02-09, 09:47 AM (EST)
18. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
I don't think my college days were very far off from yours. However, in my day (creaks rocking chair) at my school not everyone had email - only the computer science majors. If you weren't a computer science major (I wasn't) you had to go hunt down a particular professor and ask her to set up an account for you. Most people didn't know this, but I had connections. Geek connections.

06-02-09, 09:28 AM (EST)
8. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
Here's my issue with home cooked meals... I cook them, but I don't make DD eat them. I HATED being made to eat something I didn't like while growing up. So I don't make DD eat with us every night. I do ask that she try something, one bite. If she doesn't like it, she doesn't have to eat it.

06-02-09, 09:34 AM (EST)
12. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
The neighborhood moms loved having me over for dinner because I ate everything.

I still try to get us to sit down together once a week. Even if it's three different meals at the table. And no TV on these nights.

06-02-09, 09:39 AM (EST)
16. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
We always had the "clean plate club" too.

So much for that dieting advice that recommends leaving a couple bites on the plate. I just cannot do that!

17. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
I agree with not forcing kids to eat. There are days that my daughter doesn't eat a single thing for dinner and I don't sweat it. If she's hungry, she'll eat.

I have a one-bite rule too. My DD almost always says "don't like it!" after trying her one bite, but occasionally she goes back for more.

Starshine 5033 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 07:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
44. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
My Mother used to always cook three vegetables, the rule was that we had to eat two of them, however as my parents grew up during rationing the rule was always "eat the meat" you could leave vegetables if you had to, but meat was so rare when they were growing up that my brother and I had to eat the meat on our plates.

brvnkrz 20491 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 09:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
1. Records. Nothing was better than rushing home after buying vinyl and hearing the scratchy noises on the turntable.
2. Belly Boppers. My brother and I would beat the crap out of each other's bellies with these things. *BOPS BOO*

Tribe made me gay

06-02-09, 09:35 AM (EST)
13. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
*bops back*

Rule Number 1 of Twosdays. No bopping Boo.

Rule Number 2 of Twosdays. See Number 1.

My first ever vinyl single was Upset Down by Diana Ross. I think I still now all the words.

06-02-09, 09:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
My first 45 was "Yesterday" by the Beatles. I still have it.

Tribe made me gay

06-02-09, 07:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
45. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
Beach Baby by The First Class, but I was a late developer!

arkiegrl 9421 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 09:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail arkiegrl Click to send private message to arkiegrl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
Belly Bopper? What's that?

06-02-09, 09:48 AM (EST)
19. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
They were these inflatable "vests" that you put your arms through. Then you would bump into each other. Sort of like a mini version of the Sumo suits that they have out there now. But instead of your entire body being in a suit, it's just your front side. *BOPS ARKIE*

Tribe made me gay

06-02-09, 10:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
I've never heard of them, but they look like fun...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFZMbl160Y0

arkiegrl 9421 desperate attention whore postings

Click to EMail arkiegrl Click to send private message to arkiegrl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
Right with all the ones who've said Freedom.

I'm not sure what my second one would be, though.

Sagebrush Dan 10002 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 10:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Sagebrush%20Dan Click to send private message to Sagebrush%20Dan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
1. Freedom was the first thing that came to my mind, too. I could just take off and do stuff as well. I would walk to the local hot springs/pool daily to swim—the owner let us in for free.

2. I can't really say this is universally true, but a childhood without TV. I learned the joy of creating without realizing that's what I was doing. Friends and I were constantly figuring out new stuff to do—or simply hang out and be bored together.

Forged by Cahaya, the Brave and True

jbug 17146 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 08:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
53. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
yes, we did have to be creative. Even tho we had tv, we would much rather be outside.

Molaholic 9015 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 10:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
I guess I'll join the ranks with the Freedom message.

1. I remember going out on Halloween with my sister and a couple of cousins - the oldest would have been my cousin at 11 or 12, I was 7 or 8 - and we wandered all over the place, hitting places six or seven blocks away from home. We even went out the night before ('beggars night') and were able to collect a significant swag.

2. Boy Scout trips - including riding to in the back of an open pickup truck with five other kids (before hiking in to the campsite).

3. Saturday morning cartoons. Grab a bowl of Cap'n Crunch and plop down in front of the tube for The Bugs Bunny Hour, Space Ghost, Johnny Quest and The Archies. Then a little Chris Schenkle and the Pro Bowlers Tour before finally getting kicked out of the house.

Tribe made me. Thanks. An Agman salute MCMIX

Max Headroom 10069 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 10:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
1. CB radios.

They were the 70's version of OT-- lots of people talking, but few people saying anything relevant or important. I remember sitting in my dad's car as a kid (he was too cheap to buy a base station) and talking on the CB for hours.

2. Baseball games.

As a kid I attended Reds games at Riverfront Stadium, and my grandpa took me to watch the American League Milwaukee Brewers play at County Stadium (*waves to df*). While the Great American Ballpark and Miller Park are both exceptionally nice places to watch baseball games, they don't come with childhood memories.

A SharTribe creation!

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 11:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
I'm throwing in a vote for the freedom thing, too. We used to walk to school, and spend all day every day out running around the neighborhood. Playing tag or Army or Kick-the-Can or hide-and-seek. The front doors stayed unlocked, and we went in and out of everyone's houses at will. And didn't come home until dark, or we heard mom yelling for us to get home.

I think more than anything, I miss that for my kids.

06-02-09, 11:03 AM (EST)
27. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
1. Freedom and a sense of adventure. - I think Fro nailed it, and wins the prize for this week's Two for Twosday post.

I was reliving many of those memories of playing on the streets and in the woods and at the parks on the weekend at the funeral of a friend of mine from that time. The group of us stood around for a long time telling stories of our youth. I wonder what stories our kids will tell ("remember that time when I totally beat your high score on Bejeweled Blitz, and then poked you on Facebook to rub it in??"). Sigh.

2. I think another thing that I miss from back then is what I will call "non-addictive TV". As as kid I used to occassionally watch Gilligan's Island, WKRP, etc, but never in the addictive mode that reality TV shows and PVRs have created. My son is going to camp for 7 weeks this summer, and has asked me to record all of SYTYCD for him. That would be a lot of hours of TV for him to return to, and judging by the way he watched 6 straight hours of that show on the weekend maybe I will find a way NOT to record for him.

Of course, it would probably be better if I didn't watch all that TV also. Am I allowed to say that around here?

06-02-09, 11:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
~~~leans forward in rocking chair~~~

We all know I'm one of the oldest here, so I'll try to go waaaaaay back. We had even more freedom than ya'll - but we didn't have street lights to signal us that it was time to go home. We followed the cows home

1. Party line telephones - with rotary dials. We were lucky to be just on a 3-party line (as opposed to the 10-party line). All three parties had a different ring (1 ring, or 2 rings, or 3 rings) and you answered your "ring". Course you could also listen in to others calls (& they could listen to yours). I remember when the phone company (Ma Bell was the only phone company-no choices back then) fixed it where your phone only rang when it was for you! But of course then, you didn't know when others were using the line.
And the rotary dial - and when the "princess" style phones can out! The dial was in the handset! wow!

2. Drawing water out of a well for drinking, bathing, washing clothes! Not at home, but at my grandparents! I must've been about 8 when they finally got indoor plumbing & running water.
Of course living out in the country, the water was the coldest & freshest imaginable. The washing machine was electric, but you had to pour the water into it to wash; and then again to rinse.
That meant outhouses too. I hated those! But Papa kept it clean and no spider webs or wasp nests. And? there was a 'chamber pot' under the bed so you didn't have to go outside in the dark.

3. I have to add another.
Picking cotton. Anyone else here e.v.e.r pick cotton? I did! & not just for fun!

~~~leans back in rocking chair~~~~time to rest a bit~~~

Summertime 2009 with smokeysmom

Silvergirl1 9342 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 12:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Silvergirl1 Click to send private message to Silvergirl1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"

I've never picked cotton, but I've chopped tobacco... for pay.

Agman, 2008

Lasann 3616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

06-02-09, 07:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Lasann Click to send private message to Lasann Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
46. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
I challenge you on the intro and I so remember #1

Ahtumbreez 10456 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 11:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Ahtumbreez Click to send private message to Ahtumbreez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
Number 2 - Clackers!
http://www.bigredtoybox.com/cgi-bin/toynfo.pl?clackersindex

I was a Clacker champ, but it looks like I am lucky to still have both eyes.

Mangalicious by The Slice
09/25/2008 Bre left for Iraq
04/29/2009 Bre left Iraq
06/09/2009 Bre gets a hug from Mom

06-02-09, 11:25 AM (EST)
31. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
Oh my! I forgot about clackers!!

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 01:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
36. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
Ah the days when toys were lethal and we liked it.

I'll add Lawn Darts to the clackers.

06-02-09, 11:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Silvergirl1 Click to send private message to Silvergirl1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"

Great topic, Boo!

1. Penny candy - so cheap that a nickel would give you a small brown bag full. I love the memories of walking down to the liquor store to purchase a bag of candy. If you had a dime, you had an even bigger bag of candy. We bought stuff like tootsie rolls (2 for a penny), atomic fireballs, jawbreakers, watermelon slices (coconut), orange slices, spearmint leaves, squirrels, nut chews, and so much more. I remember a tootsie pop would cost 2 cents.

2. Playing cowboys and indians, and Tarzan in the woods. We did not worry about kidnappers or molesters, because we were middle class kids, just having fun. Now everyone has to worry, at least I know I did, and still do, about their child being snatched.

This is not really an answer to the topic, but I do miss a particular fashion sense from back then. In high school we wore dresses, instead of pants, and I especially loved the boy suits worn with a poor boy top. The suits were a flowered material - a blazer style with 3/4 length sleeves, with an aline skirt. The poor boy top could be worn with anything, and was a ribbed t shirt. I remember some of my outfits from back then. I also had a nice collection of hip hugger bell bottoms. Most of these bell bottoms were denim, some with colored stripes, and one pair was a bright red with white stars on it.

We also started wearing mini-skirts back then, and pantyhose took the place of stockings held up with garter belts. Nowadays, most women and girls don't bother with hose or slips, especially in the summertime, but back then I didn't feel dressed without them.

Agman, 2008

06-02-09, 01:10 PM (EST)
35. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
SG, I think you & I are from the same generation

The candy? Even tho sales tax was very little, we'd still buy our penny candy in small quantities - so that there would be no tax added; then we'd go outside the store - and then back in to buy another bag - still keeping it under the amount that would have tax on it . Hey! Every penny counted back in our day!

Seems that girls were allowed to wear pants suits about the time I started 11th grade maybe? It had to be a matching top and pants - never just a blouse/shirt or t-shirt (heaven forbid!) and never jeans! And yes, the mini skirts. The length was measured by having the girl kneel on a chair - and measure from the chair seat to the hem - I think the max was 4".

Summertime 2009 with smokeysmom

J Slice 13166 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 11:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail J%20Slice Click to send private message to J%20Slice Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
1. Part of me does feel genuinely sorry for kids who will never understand how awesome Michael Jackson and Madonna used to be. I know it sounds stupid, but musical icons don't seem as HUGE and DISTINCT as those two. Also, the music was insanely good, and for the most part, every parent would allow you to bring the tapes into their houses to play on the boom box somewhere. That's childhood defining stuff right there.

2. Every child should be able to eat whatever garbage they like, at least a little. I felt really, really bad for a little girl at the summer camp where I used to work because she brought in a cake for her birthday and had it turned away by the directors because there was not proper documentation certifying that it had never been in the same zip code as a peanut.

Because this is closer to how I look...

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 01:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
37. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
1. I'll agree with the freedom thing. I didn't have as much as a lot of my friends from elementary school through the first part of junior high

(we actually got phone calls from the wackos of the time but my folks were able to hide most of the restrictions from me, like I didn't know Mom started working at the school library to keep an eye on me and the staff actually had to keep an eye out to see that she was the one that took me home, I thought I was lucky not to have to take the bus *shrug*. I think the main one I never figured out was I never answered the phone until I was in high school, turns out it is so I never heard the threats)

but I still had a heck of a lot more unstructured go outside and play time than most kids have these days. My folks had to know my approximate location at all times and what time I had to be home by. Most of the families in the neighborhood had stay at home Moms so there was usually someone who would hear something if I stayed in the subdivision. I did get to go further with friends, but I never really wanted to go to the store by myself, if nothing else we liked to do that in groups to watch the traffic better when crossing a couple of the major streets.

2. Getting to stay up late to watch the moon landing live. There was something in the shared experience when you had to watch it when it happened or that was it. Sure things sometimes got a bit of replay on the evening news, but if you really wanted to see it you had to watch it when it happened.

While sometimes I like the 24 hour news cycle and the DVR and the TIVO I do think it takes some of the shared event out of our lives.

DoodleBug 5133 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 03:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DoodleBug Click to send private message to DoodleBug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
38. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
1. Riding in the backseat of the station wagon facing backwards - no booster seats back in my day!

2. Writing a paper using an Enclyclopedia - we had the row of Encyclopedia Britannicas in my house. Now the kids surf the web for their information (like everyone else).

On the freedom thing, I live in a very safe neighborhood. My kids can run around from backyard to backyard without much fear which is a luxury I take for granted some times.

CTgirl 8013 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 08:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CTgirl Click to send private message to CTgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
51. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
LAST EDITED ON 06-02-09 AT 08:38 PM (EST)

1. Riding in the backseat of the station wagon facing backwards - no booster seats back in my day!

Our station wagon didn't have a third seat (and I was so jealous of my friends who did!), but my brothers and I used to bring our pillows and blankets and sleep back there on the way home from the beach. So much more comfortable than trying to sleep with a seat belt digging into your neck!

06-02-09, 08:45 PM (EST)
52. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
Our station wagon didn't have a third seat either! Yep, pillows were the only way to travel!

mysticwolf 10692 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 05:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mysticwolf Click to send private message to mysticwolf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
39. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
1) Playing outside, without adult supervision & often nowhere near the house, all day long and until well after dusk on summer evenings.

2) Swimming in whatever natural body of water presented itself. Now, if it's not posted as being polluted it's posted as off limits for safety reasons.

PepeLePew13 26138 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 05:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
40. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
1. A&W drive-ins

2. Operating the T.V. without a remote control.
Nothing is funnier than watching the kids say, "where's the remote?" and then spending the next 20 minutes searching for it, and then finally being able to change the channel. I mentioned that all they had to do was to walk over to the T.V. and they could change the channel that way, and was greeted with a "We have to get up?!?"

Stinky Musings <--- blog's been updated!

bullzeye 5030 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 08:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bullzeye Click to send private message to bullzeye Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
49. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
A&W drive-ins

Yep - sure miss those! But what about the other drive-in's - the one's that showed movies? They seemed to be in every small town out west. I recall many a night where my folks bundled us into the back of the station wagon (faux wood paneling and all), to go see a double header. Hanging that brutal speaker on the side of the window (which allowed the mosquitos valet access), and seeing the show! I actually saw Star Wars at a drive in.

And when you got older - the drive in provided a whole new set of opportunities

Made by Maroonclown; resurrected by Agdude.

CTgirl 8013 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 08:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CTgirl Click to send private message to CTgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
54. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
There is still a movie drive-in on Cape Cod near where we used to vacation every year. I can still remember the first time we took our son to the drive in to see 'George of the Jungle.' He was about 7 and was quite upset that we would have to watch the movie from the car. He thought we'd have to watch it without sound and kept on saying, "why can't we go inside?!" Being able to tune in the dialog on your car radio was a vast improvement over that crackling, static-filled speaker that we used to have to hang on the side of the car! He loved the experience and I was psyched that I could share a little bit of "my generation" with him.

06-03-09, 08:22 AM (EST)
57. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
We have a movie Drive-In here, they tried to tear it down about six years ago to make more low income housing and the community had a fit. So it still stands and is open all summer long. Three screens, movies begin at dusk. Come on over.

Also in the UP, Marquette still has a drive in A&W.

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

06-03-09, 09:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
58. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
There is still an A&W drive-in in Petaling Jaya, just outside Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, complete with curbside service. We went there a lot whenever I needed to satisfy my American fast food craving.

06-02-09, 07:16 PM (EST)
41. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
Just for Boo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqfFrCUrEbY

Sorry bit emotional now post later

06-02-09, 08:05 PM (EST)
48. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
I loved it!

06-02-09, 08:21 PM (EST)
50. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
The lead singer was 90, and the oldest member of the band 102

J Slice what a cool lady

Just another Sleeperbloke

Something or Other

Thank heavens for the BBC, I watched this four times over and was crying like a baby almost all the time

sittem 4186 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 07:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sittem Click to send private message to sittem Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
42. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
1. Walking in the country to our one room school house with 8 grades, 40 students and one teacher. I learned a lot from the older kids and we all got along well.

2. Dartball league in church basements during the winter. Great fun as a kid hanging out with the men and being able to play and hold my own.

2002 IceCat Originals, Inc. All rights reserved.

06-02-09, 08:01 PM (EST)
47. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
My school was a little bigger but . . .
one teacher (Mrs Louise) taught grades 1, 2 & 3 all in one classroom - maybe 10-12 kids per grade (we didn't have kdg). Another teacher (Mrs Lucille) taught grades 4, 5 & 6 - all in one classroom. Actually Mrs Lucille was my teacher for grades 4 & 5; then she took over as librarian and Mrs Hargett got those three grades.

Grades 1 - 12 all in one school - one building.

Sunny_Bunny 5597 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 07:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sunny_Bunny Click to send private message to Sunny_Bunny Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
43. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
LAST EDITED ON 06-02-09 AT 07:26 PM (EST)

Since playing outside was already used, I'm editing this post.

1. Learning to LEARN in school, not learning to the test. The same stuff got covered that they learn now, but teachers had the freedom to teach "extras." that We don't have time to toss in many extras now, as we have to make sure the kiddies can pass a multiple choice waste of time.

2. I had a 1972 Chevy Nova big block, V8 engine. Cost of filling the tank: $5.00

06-03-09, 00:56 AM (EST)
56. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"

1972 Chevy Nova big block, V8 engine

I'm guessing that it got 8 MPG?

I'm so old, I can remember gas at 29 cents per gallon, and they gave you drinking glasses or steak knives for filling up.

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 09:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
55. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
1. Yup, free as a bird, wander the neighborhood, oft with friends, on foot or by bike 'til dark, anything from swinging on swing sets, watching National Guard crackerbox P-38's fly up from a fieldline treehouse, climbing trees (each with its own number - Tree 17 was a big, tall, easily climbable tuliptree), and eating whole boxes of graham crackers along the way.

2. Wander the library, Dewey and fiction and all.

Ragtop Ride by foonermints

weltek 16936 desperate attention whore postings

06-04-09, 12:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
59. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
1. Riding the bus to school and having the bus driver stop for "treat buying" at the gas station on the way home on Fridays and days before holiday breaks. Country kids didn't have easy access to a soda, candy bar or ice cream after school if it wasn't at home, so this was a fun treat. Now, not only have they cut back on bus routes, I can't imagine a bus driver would be allowed to make an unscheduled stop.

2.ABC Afternoon Specials
These were rather silly, but I loved when one was on! Now with cable, after school specials aren't so special anymore, nor does ABC even make them.

-A Tribetastic Creation

06-04-09, 01:48 PM (EST)
60. "RE: Two for Twosday - My Generation"
Did your bus driver ever stop at a bar on the way home? You know, a la, in route to a wedding reception?

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •