The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Wish us luck, Sam goes in for dental work later today."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

qwertypie 9776 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-02-09, 02:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Wish us luck, Sam goes in for dental work later today."
I have to take Sam to the dentist to get a bunch of unknown work done. Why unknown? Well, as most of you know, Sam has autism and extreme sensory issues, so noone has been able to get a good look in his mouth. Brushing his teeth has been near impossible and forget flossing. He grinds his teeth and chews on anything he can get his hands on (wood seems to be a favorite)
So tomorrow at 7:45 AM, Sam will get general anesthetic, the dentist will look in his mouth to see the extent of what needs to get done. I am worried, because I can see a couple of the cavities.
I am angry because Sam was supposed to get this work done with a different dentist at the hospital several months ago. The cavities were found in November (actually, they were extremely small at the previous checkup, the dentist took a wait and see attitude). Originally the date was set for early spring, and got delayed and delayed again. I was told to have his pre-op medical ready to go because we would get very short notice of his surgical date. So we got everything in order. Then I got a call 4 weeks ago and I assumed it was the news that Sam had a date. I was informed by the receptionist that this dentist has decide to suspend his hospital privileges immediately for at least a year and in the mean time I should continue to brush and floss Sam's teeth. WTF! I think dumbfounded would be the word to describe what I felt. I did have the presense of mind to ask for some names of dentists that could also handle Sam's case and starting phoning the minute I got off the phone with the dipstick because I knew that there was going to be a rush for all the families with special needs kids to find a dentist. The guy Sam was seeing took a year to get into (you basically booked next year's appt. when you left the current one). Sam couldn't wait another year for the work to get done.
Luckily, one of the names was a dental surgical office that does general anesthetic on site. They didn't much of a wait list because they didn't have the ability to bill the insurance company directly, you had to pay up front and get reimbursed later. We could have gotten in sooner, but this was the first day that the early morning appointment was available (it would have been impossible to keep Sam from food and water if his appointment was later in the day.)
I was concerned that this would not be done in a hospital on the slim chance that anything went wrong when he was put under. They have a good reputation and I had to trade off my comfort vs. the fact that Sam needs alot of work done ASAP.
Please keep us in your thoughts that the work Sam needs is pretty straight forward and recovery is quick. I wish I had known about this group sooner because if the cavities were taken care as soon as they were apparent, we wouldn't be in this mess right now. The agencies that recommend the dentists didn't think to put the ones that don't direct bill the insurance companies. SIGH.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Wish us luck, Sam goes in for d... Sagebrush Dan 06-02-09 1
 RE: Wish us luck, Sam goes in for d... foonermints 06-02-09 2
 RE: Wish us luck, Sam goes in for d... Snidget 06-02-09 3
 RE: Wish us luck, Sam goes in for d... PepeLePew13 06-02-09 4
 RE: Wish us luck, Sam goes in for d... Max Headroom 06-02-09 5
 RE: Wish us luck, Sam goes in for d... Ahtumbreez 06-02-09 6
 RE: Wish us luck, Sam goes in for d... kingfish 06-02-09 7
 RE: Wish us luck, Sam goes in for d... samboohoo 06-02-09 8
 RE: Wish us luck, Sam goes in for d... Buggy 06-02-09 9
 RE: Wish us luck, Sam goes in for d... frodis 06-02-09 10
 RE: Wish us luck, Sam goes in for d... brvnkrz 06-02-09 11
 RE: Wish us luck, Sam goes in for d... grit 06-02-09 12
 RE: Wish us luck, Sam goes in for d... jbug 06-02-09 13
 RE: Wish us luck, Sam goes in for d... azkate 06-02-09 14
 RE: Wish us luck, Sam goes in for d... byoffer 06-02-09 15
 UPDATE: qwertypie 06-02-09 16
   RE: UPDATE: Snidget 06-02-09 17
   RE: UPDATE: Silvergirl1 06-02-09 18
   RE: UPDATE: emydi 06-02-09 19
   RE: UPDATE: kingfish 06-02-09 20
   RE: UPDATE: Molaholic 06-02-09 21
   RE: UPDATE: Max Headroom 06-02-09 22
   RE: UPDATE: Sagebrush Dan 06-02-09 23
   RE: UPDATE: byoffer 06-02-09 24
   RE: UPDATE: Seana 06-02-09 25
   RE: UPDATE: CTgirl 06-02-09 26
   RE: UPDATE: Ahtumbreez 06-02-09 27
   RE: UPDATE: Starshine 06-02-09 28

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Sagebrush Dan 10002 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 02:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Sagebrush%20Dan Click to send private message to Sagebrush%20Dan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Wish us luck, Sam goes in for dental work later today."
Smoooooch!

I've brought a friend......

Born and bred by Arkie

foonermints 14531 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 02:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Wish us luck, Sam goes in for dental work later today."
Good Luck, Qwerty and Sam! *waves*

lazing in the sun with sharnina

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 05:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Wish us luck, Sam goes in for dental work later today."
Good Luck.

My dentist when I was growing up was always crowded because not only did he specialize in kids, but he was one of the few in the area that would do special needs kids. For some reason he had the knack of getting kids to sit still and open their mouths.

PepeLePew13 26135 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 06:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Wish us luck, Sam goes in for dental work later today."
Good luck, qwerty! Going to the dentist with a smallish one is a chore even in the best of times, so I can only imagine what it's going to be like with Sam. Hope it all works out and there won't be a need for too many repeat appointments in the near future.

Max Headroom 10069 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 07:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Wish us luck, Sam goes in for dental work later today."
Good luck. Going to the dentist isn't anyone's favorite thing to do, and I can only imagine how difficult it is for Sam. Hope everything goes well.

A SharTribe creation!

Ahtumbreez 10456 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 08:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Ahtumbreez Click to send private message to Ahtumbreez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Wish us luck, Sam goes in for dental work later today."
Good luck Qwerty and Sam! Ask them if you can have some nitrous for yourself.

Mangalicious by The Slice

kingfish 20752 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 08:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Wish us luck, Sam goes in for dental work later today."
Good luck to you and Sam, Q. I feel for you both. I had not until now considered the problem of dentistry in caring for an autistic son, I wish I could help.

It's a good day to be pious, my Dad (90) is having hip replacement this morning if his bloodwork is OK.

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 08:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Wish us luck, Sam goes in for dental work later today."
Good luck to both of you, Querty. *sending you lots of good vibes*

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

Buggy 5089 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 09:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Buggy Click to send private message to Buggy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Wish us luck, Sam goes in for dental work later today."
*HUGS*
So frustrating to deal with all that.
*Special HUGS for Sam*

I was informed by the receptionist that this dentist has decide to suspend his hospital privileges immediately for at least a year

This so doesn't sound right to me. Are you sure his priviledges weren't suspended by someone else? Why would the dentist suspend his own? I once had a Doc whose hospital priviledges were suspended by the state, of course he didn't inform me of the fact until the very last minute that I would have to see a different doctor ( for my c-section!).

I think it's probably a good thing that you're seeing a different dentist, they didn't seem very concerned with your child's needs.

frodis 4442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

06-02-09, 09:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail frodis Click to send private message to frodis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Wish us luck, Sam goes in for dental work later today."
Good luck, Qwerty, and good luck to Sam, too. Dental work isn't fun for anyone and I imagine that with the additional challenges that Sam faces that it's doubly not-fun.

brvnkrz 20491 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 09:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Wish us luck, Sam goes in for dental work later today."
Yikes. Good luck. We have issues with our niece when it is dentist and doctor time. She once called the doctor a dirty a-hole. It wasn't funny at the time but looking back it is quite funny. We think that her branch of autism includes a form of turrets, sometimes.
Good luck.

Tribe made me gay

grit 4868 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

06-02-09, 09:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail grit Click to send private message to grit Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Wish us luck, Sam goes in for dental work later today."
Sending good thoughts your way, qwerty. As I type this I'm waiting for my novocaine to wear off so I feel your son's pain. I hope everything goes well.

a berry nice sigpic from agman

jbug 17146 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 10:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Wish us luck, Sam goes in for dental work later today."
Good luck qwerty & Sam.
I know how much I hate going to the dentist - this must be very traumatic for him.

{hugs} for Sam

Summertime 2009 with smokeysmom

azkate 240 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

06-02-09, 11:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail azkate Click to send private message to azkate Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Wish us luck, Sam goes in for dental work later today."
Good luck and calming thoughts go out to you and Sam.

DS had to have a root canal when he was visiting his Dad - it took the dentist three days (evening visits so his Dad didn't have to take off work) to complete with novacaine and nitrous.

((For some reason drugs don't seem to have the same effect on my son as they do for the general population.))

I was practically in hysterics because DS should have gone to a special needs dentist that could put him under (which I firmly recommended to the ex). It was a nightmare and DS had a few choice words for the dentist too. I totally didn't blame him!

I hope they fix up Sams teeth and he (and you) recover quickly.

{hugs}

Kate

byoffer 15947 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 11:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Wish us luck, Sam goes in for dental work later today."
*sigh*

That sounds like an awful run around. Good luck tomorrow for you and for Sam.

(could he wear a mouth guard to avoid all the grinding? I think my mom had one for a period of time when she was grinding. Even better if the mouthguard can release flouride to help with tooth care!)

qwertypie 9776 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 12:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "UPDATE:"
We are both home now and Sam is sleeping on the couch. I am pretty emotionally wiped. The experience went better than expected since they got the IV started with minimal fuss (I was stunned, whenever we need blood work done it takes 4 of us, plus the person colelcting the sample to get it done). I made the mistake of dressing Sam in a white shirt and since one of the baby molars had to be pulled he looks like something out of a slasher flick. He also had some serious cavities filled, sealants, crowns put in. I'll get all the gory details tonight when the dentist phones. Here's hoping the insurance company reimburses without too much fuss cause I am now out $2300. At least I get Airmiles.
They gave me the tooth they pulled and it is really obvious it was too far gone to be saved. And of course I am beating myself up that I didn't somehow find out about this option a couple of years ago. (Intellectually I know there was nothing I could have reasonably done, but as a self-blaming mom......)
Thanks for all your support!

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 12:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: UPDATE:"
Pries emotional baseball bat out of qwerty's hands.

Glad to hear things went pretty well. It is funny how sometimes kids will let certain people do certain things (like I said my childhood dentist could get kids that wouldn't do it for anyone else sit in the chair and open up their mouths).

Hopefully now you've got a place that can do the work the way your kid needs it things will look up. Hope the insurance kicks in.

SoYouThinkYouCanTribe!

Silvergirl1 9342 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 12:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Silvergirl1 Click to send private message to Silvergirl1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: UPDATE:"

Being a parent, especially a parent to a special needs child, is educational. It's good that you found out before too long, so don't beat yourself up over it.

I hope Sam's recovery goes well. It's probably hard for him to have the empty socket from the molar being pulled. Does he have to watch what he eats for a while?

(((Hugs)))

Agman, 2008

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 12:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: UPDATE:"
LAST EDITED ON 06-02-09 AT 12:49 PM (EST)

glad it worked out qpie

Poppin' with tribey

kingfish 20752 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 12:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: UPDATE:"
I think you've got a lot of references here as to your stellar Mom-manship (Moms-personship?).

Molaholic 9015 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 12:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: UPDATE:"
Glad to hear things went so well. Now you can relax (for the moment, anyway).

{{HUGS}} for mom

{{HUGS}} for Sam

Max Headroom 10069 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 01:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: UPDATE:"
I bet you're glad to have that event behind you! Glad to hear everything went as well as could be expected.

A SharTribe creation!

Sagebrush Dan 10002 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 02:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sagebrush%20Dan Click to send private message to Sagebrush%20Dan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: UPDATE:"

byoffer 15947 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 02:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: UPDATE:"
Glad to hear it went well. Sounds like you both need a nap.

Seana 5044 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 03:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Seana Click to send private message to Seana Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: UPDATE:"
Wow, qwerty, what a day. I hope you got a chance to rest while Sam was napping. *hugs* to you and *affection* for Sam+.

+Not sure if he's a hugger.

CTgirl 8013 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 03:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CTgirl Click to send private message to CTgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: UPDATE:"
((hugs)) to you qpie. What a day!

Don't beat yourself up! It is what it is and now you've found a better doctor for Sam. Take some time for yourself while Sam sleeps!

Springtime frolic by Tribe

Ahtumbreez 10456 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 04:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ahtumbreez Click to send private message to Ahtumbreez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: UPDATE:"
Awesome. I'm glad you've found a good dentist. You're a wonderful mother so cut it out.

and remember - no straws. You don't want a dry socket!

Mangalicious by The Slice

Starshine 5033 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 06:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: UPDATE:"
2300 airmiles <gets out calculator> OK not quite!

Glad to hear that Sam has had his teeth repaired, hopefully now you have found this dentist he will be OK about it in the future.

Don't beat yourself up that you didn't find the dentist earlier, just think that it could have been a couple more years of Sam having problems if you hadn't found the dentist now.

J Slice what a cool lady

Just another Sleeperbloke

Something or Other

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •