The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"What is your vacation style?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

grit 4868 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

05-21-09, 08:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail grit Click to send private message to grit Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"What is your vacation style?"
Everyone vacations differently. My sisters-in-law always have snide comments about the way DH & I vacation every year. And sometimes my husband and I have conflicting ideas on vacation plans. What are your feelings about vacations?

1. How far in advance do you make reservations - air, hotel, car, campground, etc. - before your trip?

a. 1 year or more
b. 6 months
c. 1 month
d. a couple of days before the trip

2. Before your trip takes place, do you:

a. Do intensive research on the location, buy guide books, print out pages from the Internet to bring along, make sure you know the address, operating hours, and cost of any tourist attraction where you are going, and then draw up a detailed schedule for every moment of your trip?
b. Do general research about the location, making note of only the things you're most interested in doing, and then plan a loose schedule for your trip?
c. Do no research and then wing it when you get to your destination?

3. Once you've reached your destination, do you

a. Make sure you see and do everything humanly possible during the time you're there?
b. See and do some things but make time to relax?
c. Veg out the entire trip?

4. Do you vacation with anyone besides your immediate family?

a. Yes, I love to have extended family members and friends on the trip because it's so much fun.
b. Yes, I like to have extended family members and friends on the trip as a relief from my immediate family members.
c. No, it's just the immediate family.
d. I leave the family behind and vacation by myself.

5. What kind of lodgings do you prefer?

a. Luxury hotel/resort where my every desire is fulfilled.
b. A nice hotel with amenities.
c. A rental home where I can feel right at home.
d. A cheap hotel - it's only a place to sleep at night so why spend the money?
e. Camping in a tent or camper.

6. Where do you go on vacation?

a. Somewhere new every year.
b. Somewhere new most of the time, with occasional returns to places visited previously.
c. The same place every year.
d. The backyard.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: What is your vacation style? jbug 05-21-09 1
 RE: What is your vacation style? weltek 05-21-09 2
 RE: What is your vacation style? Ahtumbreez 05-21-09 3
 RE: What is your vacation style? samboohoo 05-21-09 4
   RE: What is your vacation style? grit 05-21-09 5
       RE: What is your vacation style? samboohoo 05-21-09 7
           RE: What is your vacation style? newsomewayne 05-21-09 12
               RE: What is your vacation style? Ahtumbreez 05-21-09 17
                   RE: What is your vacation style? weltek 05-21-09 18
                   RE: What is your vacation style? samboohoo 05-21-09 20
 My answers... grit 05-21-09 6
 This reminds me! zombiebaby 05-21-09 8
   RE: This reminds me! weltek 05-21-09 13
 RE: What is your vacation style? Estee 05-21-09 9
 RE: What is your vacation style? Max Headroom 05-21-09 10
 RE: What is your vacation style? newsomewayne 05-21-09 11
   RE: What is your vacation style? Estee 05-21-09 14
       RE: What is your vacation style? newsomewayne 05-21-09 15
           RE: What is your vacation style? Estee 05-21-09 16
 RE: What is your vacation style? blacknwhitedog 05-21-09 19
 RE: What is your vacation style? Starshine 05-21-09 21
 RE: What is your vacation style? mysticwolf 05-21-09 22
 RE: What is your vacation style? MKitty 05-21-09 23
 RE: What is your vacation style? jbug 05-21-09 24
   RE: What is your vacation style? weltek 05-21-09 25

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

jbug 17146 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-21-09, 08:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: What is your vacation style?"
When living so far from home for almost 20 years, all our vacations were used to come home for visits.

Now that we're home (10 years! wow!) we still haven't really had a vacation - due to needing/wanting to stay close to home because of responsibilities for parents.

So, I'll vacation vicariously thru all of ya'll. Bring it on! Take me away!

Crusin w/ Tribe

weltek 16936 desperate attention whore postings

05-21-09, 08:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: What is your vacation style?"
My BIL & SIL think we do too "touristy" things (particularly cruising, but I know a lot of people feel that way about cruising).

1. How far in advance do you make reservations - air, hotel, car, campground, etc. - before your trip?
b. 6 months

b. Do general research about the location, making note of only the things you're most interested in doing, and then plan a loose schedule for your trip?

I PREFER b, Although we tailor our lodging to our purpose and location and have no problem with any of the choices you listed.

There's so, so much to see in this world! I have trouble going back to the same place twice.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Ahtumbreez 10456 desperate attention whore postings

05-21-09, 08:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Ahtumbreez Click to send private message to Ahtumbreez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: What is your vacation style?"
Boy, those are hard questions. I barely ever follow a pattern and in fact could pick almost all of your answers to each question.

1. There are times I really like to plan early. I've been known to plan early and obsessmap out exactly where and what were doing. I've also been known to say on a Thursday - tell them you need some time off next week and lets go.

2. Again - it depends on how random things were - but I never ever obsess about every minute of every day.

3. B and C - I learned on my first real vacation as an adult that you can't do everything or you come back frazzled.

4. Usually with family but my Longtime Friend and I go somewhere every other year. She and I have known each other since 6th grade.

5. A, B, C, D and E - love it all.

6. This is the only one I can truly answer - B. I love seeing new places but every once in a while we find some place we fall in love with and want to go back to.

Mangalicious by The Slice
09/25/2008 Bre left for Iraq
04/29/2009 Bre left Iraq
06/09/2009 Bre gets a hug from Mom

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings

05-21-09, 08:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: What is your vacation style?"

a. 1 year or more
b. 6 months
c. 1 month
e. that depends on when we decide to take the trip, but it's usually within days or a couple of weeks of deciding.

a. Do intensive research on the location, buy guide books, print out pages from the Internet to bring along, make sure you know the address, operating hours, and cost of any tourist attraction where you are going, and then draw up a detailed schedule for every moment of your trip?

a. Make sure you see and do everything humanly possible during the time you're there?

a. Yes, I love to have extended family members and friends on the trip because it's so much fun.
b. Yes, I like to have extended family members and friends on the trip as a relief from my immediate family members.
e. We've done both, lately vacations have pretty much involved just the family. But two years ago, we did it with friends.

I will also say that I like resorts and, in those cases, I prefer a nice hotel room. My idea of vacation does not involve camping at all.

b. Somewhere new most of the time, with occasional returns to places visited previously.
d. The backyard.
e. The same place most years, but we are not locked into that decision. If the right opportunity presents itself, we will take it.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

05-21-09, 08:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail grit Click to send private message to grit Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: What is your vacation style?"
*crosses boo off of list of people to invite camping*

More chocolate kahlua cake for me.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

I used to feel the same way as you when it came to camping but then I was converted.

05-21-09, 09:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: What is your vacation style?"
I actually used to feel the same way you do about camping and then I was converted. I think it was just too many bad weather experiences.

newsomewayne 9353 desperate attention whore postings

05-21-09, 12:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail newsomewayne Click to send private message to newsomewayne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: What is your vacation style?"
If done right, bad weather can be part of a great camping experience.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

Ahtumbreez 10456 desperate attention whore postings

05-21-09, 12:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ahtumbreez Click to send private message to Ahtumbreez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: What is your vacation style?"
You're talking "storm sex" aren't you?!

Mangalicious by The Slice
09/25/2008 Bre left for Iraq
04/29/2009 Bre left Iraq
06/09/2009 Bre gets a hug from Mom

05-21-09, 01:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: What is your vacation style?"
*giggle*

-A Tribetastic Creation

05-21-09, 02:37 PM (EST)
20. "RE: What is your vacation style?"
He totally is.

05-21-09, 09:22 AM (EST)
6. "My answers..."
1. Making reservations - It really depends on the trip. Trips to Germany to visit my husband's family require a lot of advanced planning. Trips requiring a hotel stay in a touristy area also require reservations at least 6 months in advance. But we've been known to make camping reservations a couple of days before the trip.

2. Before a trip, I try to make sure we know about everything in a particular area because it makes things more efficient. But I don't do a detailed schedule. I try to leave some wiggle room so we can go with the flow.

3. We rarely return to a vacation spot a second time so we like to see everything we possibly can. However, being on the go every waking minute is hard on me so last vacation, I lobbied for some veg-out time. My husband let me stay at the cabin and read on the beach while he took the kids hiking. It was a good compromise.

4. Most of the time we vacation with friends. DH feels it's more fun with other people. I think he hates me & the girls and wants people he likes with him... He's usually nicer to our girls when other people are with us, so they like when we go with friends.

5. We like all types of lodging. However, we tend to camp a lot because it's pretty economical, but that doesn't mean we don't stay in hotels or houses once in a while. Three years ago, we went to the Outer Banks and it was the first time in a while that we stayed at a hotel. The girls were ecstatic.

6. Most of the time we go somewhere new. We like to see new stuff as much as possible, but we've been to some pretty great places so we like to go back and see them again.

a berry nice sigpic from agman

zombiebaby 7356 desperate attention whore postings

05-21-09, 09:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail zombiebaby Click to send private message to zombiebaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "This reminds me!"
I need to do my annual vacation thread!

To answer your questions:

Depends. Big vacation maybe 6 months but I start the research up to a year or even longer. I looooooooove planning and researching vacations.

Weirdly I do reasearch. Usually I am a wing it type of gal. However since this usually costs some money I always want to get the biggest bang for our buck. Plus I like finding out the little secrets of a location that might not have been found otherwise.

Always try to do something each day but plan on relaxing the other half.

Usually just hubby and the kids. When we go to MIL's house in Lake George his family is usally there. I like to go with others. I would love to vacation with other families but it never seems to work out. Growing up I traveled a lot with my parents and I always wish we did more family trips with my brother and sisters' families. I hope one day our kids will holiday with us sometimes.

Any and all! While we have not really tried camping yet we are totally up for it. We would love to try out a trailer with bathroom. Not so into the tent and no bathroom thing. We hope to rent one once then decide if we want to buy. We love road trips.

We love luxury hotels, who wouldn't? I love any hotel though. I love roadside motels with the burnt out sign. I love looking for the ice machine. I'm a sucker for beautiful lobby though!

Don't really care for a home though, with the exception being if it is in a foreign country and we will be there for awhile, renting a flat in the city or a country cottage has many advantages.

Ah in a perfect world with money we would take two a year at least. I prefer going to new places but sometimes a repeat visit is needed. See Disney. We usually do Lake George at least for a long weekend once a year.

You've been hotpocketed!

05-21-09, 12:14 PM (EST)
13. "RE: This reminds me!"
I think wasting time and money is why I like to research, too. I hate to waste those precious vacation days and money doing something that's not worthwhile, or learning that I missed something that only is open/happens on certain days.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

05-21-09, 09:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: What is your vacation style?"
vacation

Seriously: what language are you people speaking?

Max Headroom 10069 desperate attention whore postings

05-21-09, 09:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: What is your vacation style?"

a. 1 year or more
b. 6 months
c. 1 month

It depends on the nature of the trip. Our summer vacations are usually planned months in advance (but not this year, since DW, the designated vacation spot-picker, hasn't made up her mind on where we should go), while shorter getaways like our annual pre-Christmas Chicago weekend trip get planned on much less notice.

We usually have a rough idea of what we'll be doing each day on trips, but that's it unless we have pre-scheduled events like a baseball game or a tour with a designated start time.

I almost never go anyplace twice, so I want to see everything when I'm there.

Traveling with kids and their schedules is challenging enough without adding extra opinions from outside the family.

With four people and three separate bedtimes, we need space. Typically that's a suite hotel, but lately we've starting renting condos for longer stays.

d. The backyard.

With very few exceptions, if I've seen it once, that's enough. Certain destinations that I haven't seen in many years (Grand Canyon, the Utah national parks, Mesa Verde, etc.) might end up on the re-visit list, especially if DW hasn't seen them before.

Headbanger by IceCat, siggie by agman

05-21-09, 12:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail newsomewayne Click to send private message to newsomewayne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: What is your vacation style?"

b. 6 months - actually closer to 4 months for our main vacation at the beach
c. 1 month - for long weekends through the year

c. The same place every year. - Occasionally we will go someplace new.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

05-21-09, 12:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: What is your vacation style?"
Oh, come on. There's no way you can fit an entire family in that sigpic.

05-21-09, 12:22 PM (EST)
15. "RE: What is your vacation style?"
Well, we're not very tall.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

05-21-09, 12:30 PM (EST)
16. "RE: What is your vacation style?"
But what's your collective file size?

blacknwhitedog 6532 desperate attention whore postings

05-21-09, 02:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail blacknwhitedog Click to send private message to blacknwhitedog Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: What is your vacation style?"
What is this vacation thing that you speak of?

When we were little- one summer mom and dad packed us in the station wagon and we spent an overnight at an air-conditioned motel with a swimming pool (about 15 minutes from our house). I thought that was glorious. (we may be doing that this year)

Syren 2007

Starshine 5033 desperate attention whore postings

05-21-09, 03:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: What is your vacation style?"

Generally two or three months.

I had never vegged on a holiday until I ended up in Floridia at a fiends wedding, rushed around for a week, and then ended up on Siesta Key, where I vegged for three whole days and loved it. I still have a $10 voucher for a bar there (I came third in a quiz)

There's only me

However that does mean I can just do what I want when I want, for example if I had gone with fiends I would never have had my hand shaken by various American politicians at Pride in Boston.

A nice hotel in the middle of somewhere, 90% of the time an Hilton chain (Although I wouldn't go to a Doubletree again).

I like seeing new places, however I am lucky enough to be generally able to have two holidays a year, so one somewhere new, and one somewhere I like (normally Orlando)

J Slice what a cool lady

Just another Sleeperbloke

Something or Other

mysticwolf 10692 desperate attention whore postings

05-21-09, 03:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mysticwolf Click to send private message to mysticwolf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: What is your vacation style?"
Everyone vacations differently. My sisters-in-law always have snide comments about the way DH & I vacation every year. And sometimes my husband and I have conflicting ideas on vacation plans. What are your feelings about vacations?

a. 1 year or more
b. 6 months
c. 1 month
e. Depends on the trip. Usually 6 mos. or so for anything major like dive trips, Europe/Australia, etc. Our trip to the Olympics was set up a year or so in advance. Stratford and family trips varied from 6 mos. (when the new season program came out) to spur-of-the-moment "let's go tomorrow" trips.

b. Do general research about the location, making note of only the things you're most interested in doing, and then plan a loose schedule for your trip? Usually, if it's a major destination. Dives and theatre arrangements were generally set up in advance, along with any "must do's" that have long waits for tickets or the potential of not happening if not prepared for.

b. See and do some things but make time to relax? Mostly. Stratford was always highly regulated--get up, eat breakfast, wander for a bit, make dinner reservations if necessary, eat lunch, go to matinee, change clothes, eat dinner, go to evening performance, have cocktails, go to bed, rinse, repeat. Other vacations were more loosely planned around whatever our major focus was. But there's almost always a little veg time involved.

c. No, it's just the immediate family. But we may spend a portion of the vacation with others along, as we did in Australia.

Bed and breakfast, resort, nice hotel, depending on location and price. I'd camp; John didn't.

d. The backyard.
Mix. Stratford was an annual given, as was VA at Christmas to see my sister and maybe Columbus for Thanksgiving with my eldest sister (haven't been there in years, though). Didn't repeat any other locations except England, but I'd agreed to run the Honolulu marathon (his favorite marathon) with him next year, so that would have been a return to Hawaii.

MKitty 2976 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

05-21-09, 03:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MKitty Click to send private message to MKitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: What is your vacation style?"
Answer: Depends on the vacation. A couple of months or less if going somewhere close and not too crowded, but at least six months if it involves overseas travel due to bookings, etc..

Yep, I do "A" if going overseas as you often have to book things in advance or you don't get in! (ie, famous museums, etc..) But, just some fun research and loose schedule if going somewher where I don't have to book museums or things like that.

I've never been a trip where I vegged out...probably should try that sometime as I often return exhauasted!

Sometimes vacation with business partners and their spouses, often just vacation with immediate family or just DH.

Depends on the trip. I have rented apartments in foreign cities and they were terrific. I have very rarely stayed in a fancy hotel with everything..but that sure is nice if you can afford it! If camping, I like to stay in a cabin, rather than a tent. Or an RV...i just hate sleeping on the ground as I wake up all hobbled up with pain.

This year, the backyard and down the road. I wish I could go somewhere new every year...but it's often to see family who live several hours away...or occassionally to a new place or an old favourite. We went on a pretty great , read expensive, vacation last year, so this year it is my own backyard!

stylin' by Agdude

jbug 17146 desperate attention whore postings

05-21-09, 05:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: What is your vacation style?"

Putting the good stuff up top!

Hey, no posting! It brings it back! oh, please?

05-21-09, 05:03 PM (EST)
25. "RE: What is your vacation style?"
My cat's breath smells like cat food.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •