The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Helen Providence Newspaper article"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

Boilermaker 260 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

12-09-02, 01:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Boilermaker Click to send private message to Boilermaker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Helen Providence Newspaper article"
LAST EDITED ON 12-09-02 AT 01:08 PM (EST)

I always hate starting a new post but thought this might be worthy. While reading another link on this board I found a link to Voted Off TV and the Providence Journal newspaper with an article with recent comments from Helen. The article follows in its entirety.

Glover: The queen of plum pudding, too
By Richard Salit
Journal Staff Writer
----

It's a few days before last Thursday's episode of Survivor and I've got Middletown's Helen Glover on the phone. With only three episodes left to air, she's one of six remaining contestants competing for $1 million. And Glover is talking.

The finale will be stirring, she promises.

Her recipe for success is guaranteed, she boasts.

The conclusion will be sweet, she vows.

Bottom line, she says, "It's under my control."

Edited to put in the correct article that would be worth talking about on this board.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Helen Providence Newspaper arti... zzz 12-09-02 1
   RE: Helen Providence Newspaper arti... frisky 12-09-02 2
       RE: Helen Providence Newspaper arti... smrtNsassybnkr 12-09-02 3
           RE: Helen Providence Newspaper arti... zzz 12-10-02 10
 RE: Helen Providence Newspaper arti... waterbug 12-09-02 4
   Helen's exact plum pudding quotes waterbug 12-09-02 5
       RE: Helen's exact plum pudding quot... Chrissy gal 12-09-02 6
           RE: Helen's exact plum pudding quot... waterbug 12-10-02 7
 RE: Helen Providence Newspaper arti... Griffe 12-10-02 8
   Why Was It Held Early? Hmmmm sweetpea 12-10-02 11
       Date change sorgee 12-10-02 12
       RE: Why Was It Held Early? Hmmmm Griffe 12-10-02 13
           RE: Why Was It Held Early? Hmmmm sweetpea 12-10-02 14
 Fooled by the promo Boilermaker 12-10-02 9
   RE: Fooled by the promo ivoryElephant 12-11-02 15
       RE: Fooled by the promo Boilermaker 12-12-02 16
       snewser hasn't made a pick yet forehead 12-12-02 17

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

zzz 703 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

12-09-02, 02:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zzz Click to send private message to zzz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Helen Providence Newspaper article"
>
>Bottom line, she says, "It's under
>my control."
>
>
>
In other words--she is on the jury (which we already knew)

frisky 11695 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-09-02, 02:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frisky Click to send private message to frisky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Helen Providence Newspaper article"
Thanks, Boilermaker, for the Helen-on-the-jury evidence.

Don't we get a "boaster" in the cast every year? There's always at least one DAW who either brags about their own performance or someone elses, but it just fizzles away into nothingness.

I think Burnit gives them bonus cheques for these interviews.

Funny how jury members always brag about their new-found power, as if now that they have the power, they actually prefer it to winning the money.

smrtNsassybnkr 332 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

12-09-02, 06:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail smrtNsassybnkr Click to send private message to smrtNsassybnkr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Helen Providence Newspaper article"
Couldn't the phrase "Under My Control" also imply that Helen wins the final IC and "controls" who she gets to go against in the final vote?

zzz 703 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

12-10-02, 03:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zzz Click to send private message to zzz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Helen Providence Newspaper article"
>Couldn't the phrase "Under My Control"
>also imply that Helen wins
>the final IC and "controls"
>who she gets to go
>against in the final vote?
>

It could--but if it really did there is no way that Helen would have made the comment because it might subject her to a lawsuit for disclosing too much. I believe that the ONLY reason she could feel comfortable making this kind of comment that, to the casual listener, sounded like she made the finals, is that she does NOT make it to the finals. There is just no real doubt in my mind about that. Prior behavior of Suvivor players bears this out as well.

waterbug 38 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

12-09-02, 09:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail waterbug Click to send private message to waterbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Helen Providence Newspaper article"
First-time poster, but I've been lurking since the very earliest days (so I've been with you a long time; you just didn't know it). More importantly, I live in Rhode Island and read the full ProJo article. Boilermaker's wasn't the full print text, although it might have been the full online text.

The text Boilermaker cites was only a teaser for the print article ... and the teaser worked! The end of the print version, however, makes it very clear that Helen was only talking about the Plum Pudding event, and not S5.

This isn't hubris, folks, it's the newspaper using a cute strategy to get people to read past the front page of the entertainment section. It worked for me -- I couldn't believe she'd be so cocky in the local paper.

I'm going to run out to my recycling bin and see if I can recover the full print version for you. I'll be back in a few minutes if I can find it.

~~waterbug~~

12-09-02, 09:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail waterbug Click to send private message to waterbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "Helen's exact plum pudding quotes"
waterbug's back with the print version of Helen's plum pudding article.

Notice that in Boilermaker's post, the only direct quote from Helen is "It's under my control." Everything else is the writer's cute lead in to the Plum Pudding event (last Sunday at Trinity Church in Newport).

In the ProJo article, the context for that quote is the pudding event -- and the quote itself is buried on page D3. Here it is:

".... Okay, so it's not pudding. But the plums must be delicious, right? Wrong. There are no plums in plum pudding either, says Glover. So basically you've glot plum pudding without the plums or the pudding. (Wouldn't that be like Survivor Marquesas without any Survivor or Marquesas?)

"The actual ingredients of plum pudding are currants, raisins, nuts, candied fruits, apple cider, fresh bread crumbs. It's spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg and clove and topped with either brandy butter or whiskey sauce.

"'It's my recipe,' says Glover. 'It's under my control.'"

No spoiler value after all.

~~waterbug~~

Chrissy gal 1413 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

12-09-02, 10:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Chrissy%20gal Click to send private message to Chrissy%20gal Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Helen's exact plum pudding quotes"
Good job waterbug! Those pesky newspaper editors almost got us again. Did the article say anything interesting about Survivor?

12-10-02, 06:52 AM (EST)
7. "RE: Helen's exact plum pudding quotes"
Thanks, Chrissy gal. As Frangreg wrote in the "Helen 3rd??" thread, there were two ProJo articles last Saturday. Both started on page D1 and continued on page D3.

The first, "Helen Survives; husband eats bugs" is the ritual summary of the show, letting locals know our girl is still in the hunt. It discusses Jake's wife, and Ted's brother, and declares that Helen's immunity win -- while nice for her -- "wasn't important to the outcome" of the show. We could have figured that out ourselves.

The second is the plum pudding article. After the several short-paragraph teaser that has been floating around this board (and snewser's site), the transition begins: "The producers of the CBS reality showhave sworn her to secrecy, but Glover can't help herself. Her Navy discipline sinks like a torpedo ship. She's ready to tell all. Well, all about plum pudding, anyway."

This is followed by a paragraph about her penchant for torturing her fellow castaways by reciting recipes, and it says she'll look different in Colonial garb than she does on the island (no sports bra, I guess). There's a picture of Helen and hubby whipping up their "stirring" conclusion in colonial dress.

I scoured for spoilers, but really couldn't find any. I hope this helps!

~~waterbug~~

Griffe 40 desperate attention whore postings

12-10-02, 12:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Griffe Click to send private message to Griffe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Helen Providence Newspaper article"
Hi everyone,

TDT posted the link to the bug eating article and he transcribed the plum pudding article at VO. I copied them over at the RC so if anyone wants to read them, they are posted at:

http://resources.survivorphoenix.com/postnuke/html/index.php

sweetpea 223 desperate attention whore postings

12-10-02, 07:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sweetpea Click to send private message to sweetpea Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "Why Was It Held Early? Hmmmm"
>Hi everyone,
>
>TDT posted the link to the
>bug eating article and he
>transcribed the plum pudding article
>at VO. I copied
>them over at the RC
>so if anyone wants to
>read them, they are posted
>at:
>
>http://resources.survivorphoenix.com/postnuke/html/index.php

The original article was published Dec. 7th. The event was held the next day which would have been the 8th. However, observe the following from the article:

"But only her friends, family, and fellow parishioners know that Glover would win any immunity challenge that involved plum pudding. After all, she has organized Trinity Church's annual plum pudding stir for years. It's tomorrow, from 11:45 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the church on Queen Anne Square in Newport.

The event harks back to old England, where, at Christmastime, churchgoers made a communal pudding by pitching in ingredients and taking turns stirring the concoction. The historic Trinity Church has picked up on that tradition. Every Dec. 14, Glover and other organizers don Colonial garb and lead the pudding stir."

Helen is the organizer of this event and she has scheduled it for Dec. 14th every year but this year. Could it be that she has other plans for this weekend---like being in New York?

sorgee 1455 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

12-10-02, 07:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sorgee Click to send private message to sorgee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "Date change"
We should get someone to confirm that the even did in fact occur last weekend. We should also get someone to confirm that it usually happens closer to the 14th. If so, I think we should give your obseration serious consideration.

Griffe 40 desperate attention whore postings

12-10-02, 08:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Griffe Click to send private message to Griffe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Why Was It Held Early? Hmmmm"
sweetpea, that is a good question which was also asked on the VO board. TDT looked into it and this was his reply there...

"I'm not sure where the writer got the "every Dec. 14" part, because it's simply not true. Looking back at Google's cache of a Newport events calendar, we see that:

-In 2000, it was held on Sunday, Dec. 10th, and...
-In 2001, it was held on Sunday, Dec. 9th.

So there does not appear to be any significance to the date this year. And the writer is both intentionally and unintentionally misleading."

sweetpea 223 desperate attention whore postings

12-10-02, 09:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sweetpea Click to send private message to sweetpea Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Why Was It Held Early? Hmmmm"
Thanks for the heads up Griffe. Can put this whole article to bed now--no spoiling info there.

12-10-02, 03:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Boilermaker Click to send private message to Boilermaker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "Fooled by the promo"
Sorry! Fooled by the stupid web story. So much for registering online for that newspaper.

ivoryElephant 2257 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

12-11-02, 08:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ivoryElephant Click to send private message to ivoryElephant Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Fooled by the promo"
survivornews is putting their predictions on this article now.
Don't they know the whole story?

"I got a kiss from Clay Jordan, oh my god am I queen for a day" - Helen Glover

12-12-02, 10:13 AM (EST)
16. "RE: Fooled by the promo"
At least we can all sit in the corner and wear dunce caps for this week.

forehead 932 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

12-12-02, 10:28 AM (EST)
Click to EMail forehead Click to send private message to forehead Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "snewser hasn't made a pick yet"
Snewser has a link to the Helen article, but has not put it in red (which he does with his final picks he's certain about). He has also introduced a litte yellow face who is tossing three balls in the air Helen, Jan or Ted?

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •