The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"100 Most Mispronounced English Words and Phrases"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

mrc 10113 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-09-09, 11:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mrc Click to send private message to mrc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"100 Most Mispronounced English Words and Phrases"
Some of my favorite pet peeves are on this list: supposably, realator, nucular, irregardless . . .

http://www.yourdictionary.com/library/mispron.html

A Nefarious Dice Creation

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: 100 Most Mispronounced English ... jbug 03-09-09 1
 RE: 100 Most Mispronounced English ... Estee 03-09-09 2
   RE: 100 Most Mispronounced English ... HobbsofMI 03-09-09 4
 RE: 100 Most Mispronounced English ... Brownroach 03-09-09 3
   RE: 100 Most Mispronounced English ... Devious Weasel 03-09-09 8
   RE: 100 Most Mispronounced English ... foonermints 03-09-09 10
 RE: 100 Most Mispronounced English ... byoffer 03-09-09 5
   RE: 100 Most Mispronounced English ... jbug 03-09-09 6
   RE: 100 Most Mispronounced English ... cahaya 03-09-09 11
       RE: 100 Most Mispronounced English ... byoffer 03-09-09 15
           RE: 100 Most Mispronounced English ... cahaya 03-09-09 18
   RE: 100 Most Mispronounced English ... Scuba Steve 03-09-09 22
 RE: 100 Most Mispronounced English ... dabo 03-09-09 7
 RE: 100 Most Mispronounced English ... maroonclowns mom 03-09-09 9
   Sorry, but... Estee 03-09-09 13
   RE: 100 Most Mispronounced English ... jbug 03-09-09 14
 RE: 100 Most Mispronounced English ... cahaya 03-09-09 12
   Correction: foonermints 03-09-09 16
 While we're on the subject.... jbug 03-09-09 17
 RE: 100 Most Mispronounced English ... MKitty 03-09-09 19
   RE: 100 Most Mispronounced English ... samboohoo 03-09-09 20
   RE: 100 Most Mispronounced English ... Devious Weasel 03-09-09 21
 RE: 100 Most Mispronounced English ... dabo 03-10-09 23

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

jbug 17146 desperate attention whore postings

03-09-09, 11:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: 100 Most Mispronounced English Words and Phrases"
I can't believe wash & rinse didn't make the list.

My family has been warshing and wrenching the closes ( ) and dishes for.ever - specially my mother.

One of Shar's unique creations

Warshington DC should have been on there too.
And Chicargo

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

03-09-09, 11:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: 100 Most Mispronounced English Words and Phrases"
Or as we call it locally, Our Dubya Century.

HobbsofMI 16065 desperate attention whore postings

03-09-09, 11:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail HobbsofMI Click to send private message to HobbsofMI Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: 100 Most Mispronounced English Words and Phrases"
Or Hobbs....lol.....I've never mixed up the wrong word or added ' or left it off, etc. etc. etc....

GO WINGS! 2008 Stanley Cup Champs!
sig JSlice and by IceCat, and bobble head by Tribephyl

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

03-09-09, 11:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: 100 Most Mispronounced English Words and Phrases"
LAST EDITED ON 03-09-09 AT 12:03 PM (EST)

I take issue with pronouncing "forte" as "fort" and with leaving the "s" out of "persnickety".

Do people really say "foilage"? Never heard that one.

ETA: I've known people who said "abstensibly" when (I think) they meant "ostensibly".

A tribe glows in Brooklyn.

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings

03-09-09, 12:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Devious%20Weasel Click to send private message to Devious%20Weasel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: 100 Most Mispronounced English Words and Phrases"
Yeah, some of the items on that list are just flat out wrong. It fails to take into account that language is alive, ever-changing, and that usage is as much a driver of the correct way to pronounce a word as tradition. (For example, forte and often.) And I don't think there are many people who say Old Timer's Disease who think that's the actual name of the disease; they do it as a joke.

foonermints 14531 desperate attention whore postings

03-09-09, 01:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: 100 Most Mispronounced English Words and Phrases"
"Foilage Green" is a color used by the Army Rangers and many sheriff's departments. I have to say it out loud at least twice a week.
I'm sure it's intimidating for people askeert of leaves.

byoffer 15947 desperate attention whore postings

03-09-09, 11:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: 100 Most Mispronounced English Words and Phrases"
I certainly expected the following to be on the list:
Febyuary
libary
supposably

"ofen" being the correcty pronounciation of "often" suprised me.

There are a lot of words that kids mis-pronounce:
clift instead of cliff
pasghetti instead of spaghetti
ambliance instread of ambulance

At least those are from my experience as a dad.

My youngest pronounces "does" as "dues". (sounds more like "do" I guess)

It's Bachelor Love, which is like Monopoly Money in that it has no actual value outside the game. - frodis

03-09-09, 11:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: 100 Most Mispronounced English Words and Phrases"
My great niece (2 years old) says everything is diliscious.
and black is a 2 syllable word. ba lack

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

03-09-09, 01:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: 100 Most Mispronounced English Words and Phrases"
Add my surprise with yours about 'often' being pronounced without the 't'. After all, 'oft' is pronounced with the 't'. I know for certain that the 't' is widely pronounced in international English, including in Asia and Europe.

According to dictionary.com:
Pronunciation note:
Often was pronounced with a t-sound until the 17th century, when a pronunciation without the  /t/ Show Spelled Pronunciation Show IPA came to predominate in the speech of the educated, in both North America and Great Britain, and the earlier pronunciation fell into disfavor. Common use of a spelling pronunciation has since restored the  /t/ for many speakers, and today  /ˈɔfən/ and  /ˈɔftən/ and  /ˈɒftən/] exist side by side. Although it is still sometimes criticized, often with a /t/ is now so widely heard from educated speakers that it has become fully standard once again.

byoffer 15947 desperate attention whore postings

03-09-09, 01:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: 100 Most Mispronounced English Words and Phrases"
So I am okay to include the t-sound if I want to sound like an educated speaker or Kimmah like I am from the 17-century?

It's Bachelor Love, which is like Monopoly Money in that it has no actual value outside the game. - frodis

03-09-09, 02:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: 100 Most Mispronounced English Words and Phrases"
Only if you're a Whig with a wig.

Scuba Steve 1644 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

03-09-09, 03:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Scuba%20Steve Click to send private message to Scuba%20Steve Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: 100 Most Mispronounced English Words and Phrases"
My sister constantly said spaghetti as "sketti" when she was young.

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

03-09-09, 11:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: 100 Most Mispronounced English Words and Phrases"
Have they never heard of basketti?

ARRRRRRR!!!!

maroonclowns mom 1102 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

03-09-09, 12:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail maroonclowns%20mom Click to send private message to maroonclowns%20mom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: 100 Most Mispronounced English Words and Phrases"

Anything past tense with the word "had" in front of it. We "had" went, they "had" came, etc. There is just no reason for the word "had". Sorry, this one bugs me.

thnx agman

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

03-09-09, 01:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "Sorry, but..."
I had just to disagree with you.

The one linguistic collision (or two) which will make me twist a sentence fifty ways to avoid it is 'had had'.

03-09-09, 01:31 PM (EST)
14. "RE: 100 Most Mispronounced English Words and Phrases"
I feel the same way with 'have got to' but have been told it's perfectly acceptable.
Just sounds not right to me. The 'got' just doesn't seem necessary.

03-09-09, 01:22 PM (EST)
12. "RE: 100 Most Mispronounced English Words and Phrases"
LAST EDITED ON 03-09-09 AT 01:36 PM (EST)

As a kid, I always had trouble with 'emercengy' (actually 'emergency'), sounding more like Russian sailors in that one movie where their sub was grounded on the shores of New England.

Just looked it up... the movie is The Russians are Coming (1966).

foonermints 14531 desperate attention whore postings

03-09-09, 01:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "Correction:"
»emercengy«

Thats emerwency.

All us Yaqui's know our Russki spellink.

03-09-09, 02:10 PM (EST)
17. "While we're on the subject...."
Congrats are due to one of my great nieces (10 years old).
She's participating in the regional spelling bee today.

Let's hope none of the mispronunciations causes her to misspeel.

Crusin w/ Tribe

When I sent congrats to her on her facebook, I almost wrote 'speeling' but since she's not an OTer, she would have thought I misspelled it.

MKitty 2976 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

03-09-09, 02:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MKitty Click to send private message to MKitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: 100 Most Mispronounced English Words and Phrases"
LAST EDITED ON 03-09-09 AT 03:10 PM (EST)

Some interesting stuff there. I was good with all of the words..but two of the phrases threw me for a loop.

I had NO idea that "Spitting Image" was actually supposed to be Spit and Image..no idea at all...

And..."Card Shark" is supposed to be CardSharp. What? Really? I assumed that Card Shark was a real word....and it made sense to envision a nasty person, evil, shark-like, swimming around and winning people's money...it does make sense!

Tribe manga'd my mug

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings

03-09-09, 02:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: 100 Most Mispronounced English Words and Phrases"
Agree about both.

Spitting Image: I've always said this because around here the saying was always in reference to a person looking so much like a parent that it looked like the parent "spit them out."

Maybe I'd better go look at the list to see what else I'm saying incorrectly.

*smooches Agman*

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings

03-09-09, 02:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Devious%20Weasel Click to send private message to Devious%20Weasel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: 100 Most Mispronounced English Words and Phrases"
Card shark has been the more common usage for a long, long time.

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

03-10-09, 09:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: 100 Most Mispronounced English Words and Phrases"
abdominable

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •