The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

bacon 2824 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

11-30-08, 11:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bacon Click to send private message to bacon Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
"Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers"
This is in the most recent issue of the magazine. First off, Bob Dylan at #7? I have many Dylan records, and I even enjoy his voice in all of it's awfulness, but to actually list it so high on a greatest singers list is ridiculous. If I had to make a top 5 list out of the 100 RS mentioned I would have chosen the following:

1. Marvin Gaye-You could immediately indentify his songs by that ridiculously smooth voice.

2. Jeff Buckley-Some will argue that Buckley gets all these mentions because he died young. Those people clearly didn't listen to his one and only album, "Grace". He sung like a freaking angel.

3. Roy Orbison-Orbison is well loved, but seems to fall behind Elvis Presley in every "best of" list. I'm here to tell you that he's ten times more talented, and his voice is way better than Elvis' voice could have ever hoped to be.

4. Brian/Carl Wilson-Carl didn't make the list, but both should be included. Their work on "Pet Sounds" is the stuff of legends.

5. Art Garfunkel/Paul Simon-Simon also didn't make the list, but these two created some of the prettiest melodies folk music has ever produced.

Now for the actual list.

Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers of the Rock Era

1. Aretha Franklin
2. Ray Charles
3. Elvis Presley
4. Sam Cooke
5. John Lennon
6. Marvin Gaye
7. Bob Dylan
8. Otis Redding
9. Stevie Wonder
10. James Brown
11. Paul McCartney
12. Little Richard
13. Roy Orbison
14. Al Green
15. Robert Plant
16. Mick Jagger
17. Tina Turner
18. Freddie Mercury
19. Bob Marley
20. Smokey Robinson
21. Johnny Cash
22. Etta James
23. David Bowie
24. Van Morrison
25. Michael Jackson
26. Jackie Wilson
27. Hank Williams
28. Janis Joplin
29. Nina Simone
30. Prince
31. Howlin' Wolf
32. Bono
33. Steve Winwood
34. Whitney Houston
35. Dusty Springfield
36. Bruce Springsteen
37. Neil Young
38. Elton John
39. Jeff Buckley
40. Curtis Mayfield
41. Chuck Berry
42. Joni Mitchell
43. George Jones
44. Bobby "Blue" Bland
45. Kurt Cobain
46. Patsy Cline
47. Jim Morrison
48. Buddy Holly
49. Donny Hathaway
50. Bonnie Raitt
51. Gladys Knight
52. Brian Wilson
53. Muddy Waters
54. Luther Vandross
55. Paul Rodgers
56. Mavis Staples
57. Eric Bourdon
58. Christina Aguilera
59. Rod Stewart
60. Bjork
61. Roger Daltrey
62. Lou Reed
63. Dion
64. Axl Rose
65. David Ruffin
66. Thom Yorke
67. Jerry Lee Lewis
68. Wilson Pickett
69. Ronnie Spector
70. Gregg Allman
71. Toots Hibbert
72. John Fogerty
73. Dolly Parton
74. James Taylor
75. Iggy Pop
76. Steve Perry
77. Merle Haggard
78. Sly Stone
79. Mariah Carey
80. Frankie Valli
81. John Lee Hooker
82. Tom Waits
83. Patti Smith
84. Darlene Love
85. Sam Moore
86. Art Garfunkel
87. Don Henley
88. Willie Nelson
89. Solomon Burke
90. The Everly Brothers
91. Levon Helm
92. Morrissey
93. Annie Lennox
94. Karen Carpenter
95. Patti Labelle
96. B.B. King
97. Joe Cocker
98. Stevie Nicks
99. Steven Tyler
100. Mary J. Blige

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Si... kidflash212 11-30-08 1
   RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Si... MKitty 12-02-08 29
       RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Si... Starshine 12-02-08 31
 RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Si... Max Headroom 12-01-08 2
   RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Si... Starshine 12-01-08 3
   RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Si... Brownroach 12-01-08 15
 RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Si... kingfish 12-01-08 4
   RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Si... Starshine 12-01-08 5
   RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Si... Snidget 12-01-08 6
       RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Si... kingfish 12-01-08 10
 Another country heard from. Estee 12-01-08 7
   RE: Another country heard from. kingfish 12-01-08 8
       RE: Another country heard from. Estee 12-01-08 22
 RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Si... KeithFan 12-01-08 9
 RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Si... Tahj 12-01-08 11
   RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Si... dabo 12-01-08 12
       RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Si... byoffer 12-01-08 17
   RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Si... cahaya 12-01-08 14
       RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Si... KeithFan 12-01-08 16
 RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Si... Tahj 12-01-08 13
   RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Si... whimsey 12-01-08 20
 RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Si... Gothmog 12-01-08 18
   RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Si... Snidget 12-01-08 19
       RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Si... Brownroach 12-01-08 21
           RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Si... geg6 12-02-08 23
               RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Si... KeithFan 12-02-08 25
 RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Si... kingfish 12-02-08 24
   RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Si... Snidget 12-02-08 26
   RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Si... geg6 12-02-08 27
   RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Si... J I M B O 12-02-08 28
   RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Si... Brownroach 12-02-08 30
 RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Si... bondt007 12-02-08 32
   RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Si... J Slice 12-02-08 33
   RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Si... Brownroach 12-02-08 34

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

kidflash212 5051 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-30-08, 11:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers"
LAST EDITED ON 11-30-08 AT 11:43 PM (EST)

Lots of problems with this list -

Prince higher than Gladys Knight (or even Whitney Houston)?

John Lennon's placing seems very high. I admit I'm not a fan and always found him overrated but I think even his fans would say many others below him were far better vocally.

David Bowie even making the list discredits the whole thing for me.

And just where is Luther Vandross? He had an amazing voice - defintely should make top ten.

ETA - 54th. Come on.

MKitty 2976 desperate attention whore postings

12-02-08, 01:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MKitty Click to send private message to MKitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers"
Okay, smackdown with Kidflash and Kitty!!

Don't be dissin' my Dave!
Bowie has one of the most incredible unique voices in the world...and if Dylan and Waits are on this list..they are obviously going for "unique" over clear, etc.. Otherwise, Celine Dion would be on this list. Celine's voice could shatter glass with its strength and clarity..and I don't even like her music!! (but I have to give out kudos for the strength of her voice)

Seasonal CATastic courtesy of Agman!

Starshine 5033 desperate attention whore postings

12-02-08, 04:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers"
I agree with you. Jimbo makes the point below about how Bono uses his voice as an instrument in some U2 songs. Well Bowie writes songs that fit his voice perfectly, I cannot imagine anyone else singing Diamond Dogs, Ashes to Ashes or Golden Years, so one has to say that as a singer he has the perfect voice for those songs.

Although I have to admit Bauhaus do a much better version of Ziggy Stardust

Max Headroom 10069 desperate attention whore postings

12-01-08, 08:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers"
Sam Cooke at #4? I've never even heard of him, and I listen to a broad variety of music.

Robert Plant at #15? I like Led Zeppelin, but that seems awfully high for him.

David Bowie at #23? Come on, is this a joke?

Morrissey at #92? Nope, not buying it. He's better.

Headbanger by IceCat, siggie by agman

12-01-08, 08:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers"
LAST EDITED ON 12-01-08 AT 08:45 AM (EST)

Sam Cooke http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2KTFoMJi3uE Lvoe his voice, and wiki says http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Cooke

Annie Lennox is only 93? No way! No Dr.John at all????

Oh and is 63 Celine Dion or Dion and the Belmonts?

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

12-01-08, 01:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers"
LAST EDITED ON 12-01-08 AT 01:14 PM (EST)

Sam Cooke -- "Chain Gang"? "You Send Me"? "Cupid"? You must have heard something by him at some point.

I would rank Sam Cooke # 1 based on technical ability, expressiveness, musicality and versatility. Yes, I do think he's better than Aretha.

But then this isn't really a list of Greatest Singers. It's a list of Favorite Solo Artists.

Surfkitten Summer Sigshop 2008

kingfish 20752 desperate attention whore postings

12-01-08, 08:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers"
Dylan easily belongs in the top ten, unless one believes that a great singer has to have a trained voice and pure dulcet tones.

But where is Louis Armstrong?

And Joe Cocker is at the bottom of the list?

Roy Orbison does deserve a higher spot.

Stevie Nicks at the bottom too?

Patsy Cline at 46? Arguably the best singer of all time?

Michael Jackson is rated along with Van Morrison and Jackie Wilson? Blasphemy!

Not having Joplin in the top ten is not believable.

Levon Helm (near the bottom) is one of my favorites, as is Mavis Staples. She used to be (Still is?) with the Staples Singers along with her sister and 'Pops' Staples, and they could sing the whey out of a song. They are/were a Gospel group although they sang a lot of mainstream songs, and it was almost a religious experience (even for a heathen like me) to listen to them.

Max, you’ve heard Sam Cooke's songs; I expect you just don't associate his name with them. Some of his songs are have become standards, "You Send Me" and "Bring it on Home to Me" used to permeate the airwaves. And they are very nice, his vocals are special.

On what criteria was this list was based? If it's just the editor’s opinion, they shouldn't publish it. Everyone would have a different list and it's just non-information to publish anyone of our lists as "The Best".

12-01-08, 09:04 AM (EST)
5. "RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers"
Seems to be a "Pop and Rock" list, hence no Louis Armstrong, believe me if it were a "Best singer who has had a chart hit" list I would be up with you. Oh and of course Ella Fitzgerald would be fighting it out for the number one spot.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

12-01-08, 09:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers"
"On what criteria was this list was based? If it's just the editor’s opinion, they shouldn't publish it. Everyone would have a different list and it's just non-information to publish anyone of our lists as "The Best"."

Usually there is some sort of panel that does it *googles*

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/coverstory/24161972/page/101

Rolling Stone asked artists, journalist and industry insiders. The ballots were weighted and tabulated by Ernst and Young. So it isn't just one editor (or the editorial board) of the magazine. Even if it is they can, IMO, compile and print a list that is their own opinion. No list like this is every some objective reality. Whether they state it or not I always know it is the subjective opinion of who they used to make the list. I mean you could say no one should ever rank anything subjective, but as long as they don't say it is the truth and you have to agree with it or else, I don't see the harm.

2005 Holiday Sig Shop. I've been Nutzed!

12-01-08, 10:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers"
LAST EDITED ON 12-01-08 AT 10:18 AM (EST)

I don't vehemently disagree. I just sort of mildly disagree. Your points are valid. Opinions are published all the time, and no harm, some are even useful. And a "who is the best singer of all time" list has to be somewhat subjective.

But this is Rolling Stone, and an otherwise dismissible list acquires a certain cachet by being in Rolling Stone which I think it doesn’t deserve even given the input mentioned. Now, and forever more, any artist on the list will be able to make the claim that they are better than a bunch of other artists 'according to Rolling Stone', when it maybe just a matter of style, or genre, or how old their music is, or who the judges are familiar with that sets them apart.

Ranking them using subjective criteria (even compiled and audited criteria – Ernst and Young? Please!) could be looked on as a mild form of insult to the artists and to the artist’s fans. The ‘glass is half empty’ fans, anyway.

Oh well, they thought it was important to present a ranking, and they and others do it all the time. I don't favor the practice, but so be it.

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

12-01-08, 09:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "Another country heard from."
I checked with Simon. He said they're all atrocious and refused to welcome any of them to Hollywood.

12-01-08, 09:50 AM (EST)
8. "RE: Another country heard from."
Did Alvin and Theodore concur? I would expect them to agree with you, seeing as how they too were left off the list.

Beware jealous chipmunks, unless you want to risk serious ankle bites and pierced eardrums.

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

12-01-08, 04:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Another country heard from."
Which is also what you tend to get from angry American Idol contestants -- none of whom made the list.

KeithFan 7422 desperate attention whore postings

12-01-08, 09:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail KeithFan Click to send private message to KeithFan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers"
A couple of people that were left off that should be on anyone's list:

Ruth Brown
Bruce Dickinson
Annie Wilson

Here's a page that I like to refer to:

http://digitaldreamdoor.nutsie.com/pages/music0.html

Tahj 4136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

12-01-08, 12:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tahj Click to send private message to Tahj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers"
LAST EDITED ON 12-01-08 AT 12:22 PM (EST)

I like your website Keithfan. Thanks.

The RS list left off Linda Ronstadt, which is ridiculous. They also left off Barbra Streisand, even though I'm not a fan. She should be included on a list like this, though.

Edited to add: And Bette Midler! What about Bette!!

It's a Tribe!

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

12-01-08, 12:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers"
And Debby Harry, don't forget Debby Harry. Let's all say it together, Debby Harry! And Meat Loaf.

byoffer 15947 desperate attention whore postings

12-01-08, 01:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers"
I would certainly agree with your suggestion of Meatloaf.

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

12-01-08, 12:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers"
I'll second the thanks for the link. There are some good guitarists/bassists/bands lists in there. Although I don't often agree with the ordering, I'm finding out what else I've been missing that might be worth checking out.

Smurfy snowy holiday present by agman

12-01-08, 01:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KeithFan Click to send private message to KeithFan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers"
I don't always agree with them either. After about #5 you can take #6-20, jumble them up, and have legitimate arguments for the order on most of the lists. As it has been mentioned, it's very subjective; but it's so in depth and categorized that anyone not listed probably doesn't deserve to be there anyway.

Tahj 4136 desperate attention whore postings

12-01-08, 12:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tahj Click to send private message to Tahj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers"
Also, only 24 of the hundred are women. Nope, not biased at all.

It's a Tribe!

whimsey 4411 desperate attention whore postings

12-01-08, 03:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail whimsey Click to send private message to whimsey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers"
Good catch, Tahj. Well done.

Gothmog 2886 desperate attention whore postings

12-01-08, 02:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Gothmog Click to send private message to Gothmog Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers"
I'd love to see the criteria. And then meet the person who provided the drugs for whomever came up with this bogus list. Because that must have been some serious shit.

Dylan doesn't belong on it. At. All. He belongs in the Hall of Fame as a songwriter. But he can't sing. His voice is cacophanous, grating and out of tune. On his better days.

There are so many people on this list who have minimal talent as singers. Don't get me wrong; they're great musicians and song-writers. But they clearly are not capable singers. I wonder if the compilers were looking for distinctive voices, rather than necessarily talent. Kurt Cobain had a distinctive voice, but he screeched more than he sang.

Mariah Carey is in another category: she can sing, but she substitutes technical tricks for heart. Doesn't belong on this list, either.

Some glaring omissions:
*Bobby McFerrin. Ok, technically, not a "rock singer" but he did have mainstream exposure, and his voice is an instrument of unequaled proportions.
*I'll second whoever mentioned Annie Wilson.
*Bradley Delp of Boston should be in the top 10: truly an amazing voice that is often hard to distinguish from a guitar in their songs.
*Ian Gillan from Deep Purple and Black Sabbath (and the original Broadway recording of Jesus Christ Superstar) could sing rings around half this list.
*And speaking of JCS, I recently saw Sebastian Bach pull off an amazing performance. Dude can flat-out kiss the sky with his voice.
*Amy Lee.
*Kate Pierson
*Tommy Shaw

And, no disrespect for Aretha Franklin, who is indeed very talented, but #1 should be Freddy Mercury. Again, I'd want to see the criteria.

12-01-08, 02:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers"
Here is the link I posted above

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/coverstory/24161972/page/101

It has the list of people.

They asked each of them for their top 20 and then weighted the results and made the list of 100.

If they did it the usual way being #1 on several people's list counts more than being on more lists but at #20 for most of them.

Funny how several of the people that are mentioned that should be on the list are actually people who were asked to make the list. I dunno if that effected being on the list or not.

I assume that the list is an accurate reflection of what the people asked to provide their top 20 provided. You can look at the list and see if you think those people have any business judging singers.

I do agree some people are on the list more because their music was influential in some way or they wrote good music rather than they had talented voices.

12-01-08, 03:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers"
LAST EDITED ON 12-01-08 AT 04:00 PM (EST)

I assume that the list is an accurate reflection of what the people asked to provide their top 20 provided.

It probably is, but the thing is, they weren't asked to consider singing abilty. They were asked to name their 20 favorite vocalists from the rock era. You can like a performer despite the fact that he/she doesn't sing well, e.g. a Bob Dylan -- you like them for other reasons.

So calling this a list of the 100 Greatest Singers really does not reflect what the people were asked to vote for. That is why the list is idiotic.

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

12-02-08, 08:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers"
Well, if singing ability wasn't one of the main criteria (which seems likely if this list is to be believed), then that explains how ridiculous this list is.

For one, no way should Etta James and Billie Holiday not be on a list of the 100 Greatest Singers. Hands down, no question in my mind, these two should be #1 and #2 on any list of greatest singers. And any list that doesn't include them in the top 5 is a list that means nothing.

As you, BR, and many others here know, I am a John Lennon worshipper. That said, he's one of the greatest songwriters of all time (with or without McCartney, who, incidentally, is a much better singer), but would not even make my top 50 as a singer. I'd have Dylan as #1 on the songwriter list (with Lennon a close #2) but he, too, is an abomination on this list. Don't mistake me, I adore Dylan but he can't sing, even in the most primitive, untrained way. I've got plenty of his music in my collection and seen him several times (both when he was "on" and when he was "off") and I know of what I speak.

And those who are bashing Bowie's inclusion? Have no idea what they are talking about. The man has range, control, and a distinctive sound. Experience a wide range of his work and not just what is played on the radio and you will know that.

This list has some really great names (in mostly weird placements), but is obviously limited.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

12-02-08, 09:15 AM (EST)
25. "RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers"
I think way too many votes went to "performers" rather than singers, and people voted on what the music meant to them rather than the technical aspect.

12-02-08, 09:12 AM (EST)
24. "RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers"
The thing is, it isn't hard to find people who are technically great singers. Every local music festival (I go to a number of bluegrass festivals a year) features a dozen or more, every choir has a number, every town has a few local bands with technically great vocalists. I would not be surprised in the least to find technically proficient vocalists among the people on these boards. I myself receive standing ovations from everyone within earshop whenever I launch into one of my operatic arias in the shower. Move over Parvotti!

Which brings to mind the observation, if this were a rating list of technically proficient singers, operatic and stage talents would dominate the list.

Great singers, and this is admittedly just my opinion, are not necessarily tone perfect, with three octave voices, and with perfect vocal and tempo control. For my money it's the vocalist who can impart rare feelings, emotions, and artistic displays. And being a great songwriter adds to this to the point where I think it's really rare to be considered a great singer if you aren't a great song writer. Presley and Holliday (and yeah, where is Holliday?) would be two exceptions, and there are more. I don't know if Tom Jones ever wrote a song, but man, can he render one.

So, for me, Dylan is at the top of the ladder, along with Louis Armstrong, Joe Cocker, Lou Reed, Leonard Cohen (really? Cohen isn't on the list? All of Canada, yea, the whole free world, should picket Rolling Stone for this). Tom Jones? this guy is probably the greatest pop/whatever genre vocalist alive, where is he?

Paul McCartney had a prettier, more universally acceptable voice than Lennon, but Lennon's songs and his singing had so much more depth. The man could render beautiful music. His last album, released just before he was shot, is especially nice.

12-02-08, 09:21 AM (EST)
26. "RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers"
Ah, that pretty much sums up all the arguments on AI, DWTS, SYTYCD, etc.

Do you chose "best" based only on technical proficiency, or the ability of someone to express emotions and really touch you with the performance.

It does seems rare when one is extremely good at both.

Especially as really throwing oneself into the performance may mean you can't spend a lot of time analyzing every second of what you are doing to make sure it hits all the specs any given person considers important. Conversely spending every moment thinking about how you are doing something doesn't always let you connect to the emotion of the piece.

A technically perfect performance can a lot of the time leave me feeling a bit cold. I hear the beauty, but it doesn't make me feel anything. Now there are lots of people (as the AI auditions coming up will adequately demonstrate) that have plenty of passion but can't stay on pitch at all. *starts training fingers for rapid fire mute button pushing*

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

12-02-08, 10:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers"
Singers, great singers, have both technical virtuosity and emotional heft. Thus, there are only a few really, really great opera singers and many more in more accessible musical genres. Jazz is one area in which there are many with both, thus my picks of Etta James and Billie Holiday.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

J I M B O 6839 desperate attention whore postings

12-02-08, 12:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail J%20I%20M%20B%20O Click to send private message to J%20I%20M%20B%20O Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers"

Great singers, and this is admittedly just my opinion, are not necessarily tone perfect, with three octave voices, and with perfect vocal and tempo control. For my money it's the vocalist who can impart rare feelings, emotions, and artistic displays.

It wasn't until I saw U2 in concert that I really understood what it is to use one's voice as an instrument. While I admit I'm pretty ignorant on a lot of music knowledge, I'd think Bono should be at least top 20.

12-02-08, 04:31 PM (EST)
30. "RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers"
and yeah, where is Holliday?)

I assume Billie Holiday did not get on there because

"Each voter was asked to list his or her 20 favorite vocalists from the rock era, in order of their importance."

Because, according to Rolling Stone, THE ROCK ERA equals ALL TIME.

bondt007 3413 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

12-02-08, 05:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bondt007 Click to send private message to bondt007 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers"
James Taylor at #74 and Bruce Springsteen at #36? Plant and Mercury not in the top 10? No Donald Fagen and Billy Joel?

...what a rag!

J Slice 13166 desperate attention whore postings

12-02-08, 05:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail J%20Slice Click to send private message to J%20Slice Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers"
LAST EDITED ON 12-02-08 AT 05:50 PM (EST)

I love, love, love Fagen.

His voice is definitely a unique one, but my love for Steely Dan is... well, everything. The musicians are so perfectly picked, everything is wonderfully clean (yes, I know they are totally a studio band), and the lyrics? Incredible.

Where, oh where, is Michael McDonald on that list? One can say what they might of his music (I know that there are a lot of people who are ticked off with what he did with the Doobie Brothers), but his voice is nothing short of amazing. Saw him in concert with the Dan a couple years ago, and he absolutely blew me away. Did a hell of a vocal job on "Do It Again", too.

I do it all the different ways.

12-02-08, 05:59 PM (EST)
34. "RE: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers"
I was rather surprised that Billy Joel is nowhere on the list, not even in the bottom 10.

Also Chaka Khan. Ronnie Spector makes the cut but not Chaka? Puh-leeze.

While I'm a huge Steely Dan fan I'm not sure I'd have included Donald Fagen myself.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •