The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Were '70s television writers incredibly stupid or just on drugs?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

newsomewayne 9353 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-11-08, 07:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail newsomewayne Click to send private message to newsomewayne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Were '70s television writers incredibly stupid or just on drugs?"
We have a new TV station in our area, and since it is unaffiliated, it plays a lot of old TV shows from the '70s and '80s. Last night they were showing The Incredible Hulk. You may remember that one, it starred Lou Ferrigno covered in green body paint as the huge behemoth. I used to love that show as a kid, so I flipped it on. I even told DS, "I used to love this show when I was your age." And in fact I did. This particular episode was made in 1978, when I was the same age as DS is now.

Moving on, this is an hour long show and I only caught the last 20 minutes, so I can't imagine what I missed. But what I caught blew my mind. David Banner and his Friend of the Week were driving an LTD through desert roads being chased by a couple of outlaw truckers in a rusted tanker truck. To get away from the truck, David hits a mountain road, since the truck won't be as fast going up hill as the car. But lo and behold, the car's engine overheats, all kinds of debris starts to come from under the hood, and naturally the car slows down, allowing the truck to catch up. FW lets the audience know, "The radiator hose must be broken."

Now here's the crazy part. Just as the truck catches up, David reaches the crest of the mountain. Why is this a good thing? Because the car starts to speed up again and the engine cools off while David drives at speeds around 70 mph. Not to mention that the car is no longer letting off gallons of radiator fluid and steam. Now, for those who are not as mechanically minded as I am, let me point out the problem - Cresting a mountain, even though it reduces the work required of a car's engine, does not fix a broken radiator hose and won't keep a car from overheating.

So I ask again, were '70s television writers incredibly stupid or just on drugs?

And where are these writers now? That's an easy one. They've moved on to a new career as Reality Television Casting Directors.

Fear the reaper.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Were '70s television writers in... Max Headroom 11-11-08 1
   RE: Were '70s television writers in... samboohoo 11-11-08 2
   RE: Were '70s television writers in... newsomewayne 11-11-08 4
 Space 1999 & Buck Rogers Starshine 11-11-08 3
   RE: Space 1999 & Buck Rogers mrc 11-11-08 5
 RE: Were '70s television writers in... Spanky68 11-11-08 6
   RE: Were '70s television writers in... Brownroach 11-11-08 7
 RE: Were '70s television writers in... Snidget 11-11-08 8
 RE: Were '70s television writers in... byoffer 11-11-08 9
 RE: Were '70s television writers in... geg6 11-11-08 10

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Max Headroom 10069 desperate attention whore postings

11-11-08, 08:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Were '70s television writers incredibly stupid or just on drugs?"
Are you implying that The Dukes of Hazzard and B. J. and the Bear weren't quality TV?

Another catchy agman siggie

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings

11-11-08, 08:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Were '70s television writers incredibly stupid or just on drugs?"
*gasp*

There was a time when I had future husbands from both of those shows.

Tis the season.

newsomewayne 9353 desperate attention whore postings

11-11-08, 08:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail newsomewayne Click to send private message to newsomewayne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Were '70s television writers incredibly stupid or just on drugs?"
Hey, I loved the Dukes of Hazzard, but even it had plot holes big enough to drive B.J's truck through blindfolded.

Fear the reaper.

Starshine 5033 desperate attention whore postings

11-11-08, 08:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "Space 1999 & Buck Rogers"
Am I the only one who wears a white jumpsuit every day?

J Slice what a cool lady

mrc 10113 desperate attention whore postings

11-11-08, 09:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mrc Click to send private message to mrc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Space 1999 & Buck Rogers"
To be hardcore '70s, you have to have a zippered white jumpsuit, open to show your chest hair.

And you have to go commando.

A Slice of Manga

Spanky68 8092 desperate attention whore postings

11-11-08, 09:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Spanky68 Click to send private message to Spanky68 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Were '70s television writers incredibly stupid or just on drugs?"
I am stunned that we're 5 posts in and nobody has played the political card. So I won't either.

My guess is that they were stupid people doing copious amounts of drugs.

The plot to every episode of Charlie's Angels:
Farrah Faucet would reach into her fabulous hair, shake her...assets and find a criminal lurking in that hair. Then she'd shriek "eek, there's a criminal in my hair" while the brunette pistol whipped said criminal into a slobbering mass ready to be taken off to jail.

Moonbaby tricked out my siggie

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

11-11-08, 10:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Were '70s television writers incredibly stupid or just on drugs?"
I remember an episode where Jaclyn Smith became addicted to heroin, courtesy of that week's villain. Of course she kicked the habit by the end of the episode. And she looked fabulous the entire time she was hooked.

Surfkitten Summer Sigshop 2008

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

11-11-08, 10:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Were '70s television writers incredibly stupid or just on drugs?"
LAST EDITED ON 11-11-08 AT 10:41 AM (EST)

I really don't think all the smoke filling the writers rooms back in those days was from tobacco.

ETA: I don't think it was just the TV writers, either. There are a couple of malls I've been to built during that time that I swear whoever designed the parking lot had to be stoned on something. There is no logical way to get from the street to the mall parking.

byoffer 15947 desperate attention whore postings

11-11-08, 10:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Were '70s television writers incredibly stupid or just on drugs?"
Geez, Wayne, where's the spoiler warning?

I still have that recorded on Beta at home and was going to watch it tonight.

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

11-11-08, 11:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Were '70s television writers incredibly stupid or just on drugs?"
Hard to say, but from my own experience as a young adult in the '70s?

They were definitely on drugs.

"There are souls that, crablike, crawl continually toward darkness, going backward in life rather than advancing, using their experience to increase their deformity, growing continually worse, and becoming steeped more and more thoroughly in the intensifying viciousness." Victor Hugo

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •