The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Tax and tax and tax and tax. (no spend)"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-07-08, 02:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Tax and tax and tax and tax. (no spend)"
Michael Bloomberg, the erstwhile (yeah, right) mayor of New York City, a man who once tried to put a toll in the middle of Manhattan because who needs to drive anywhere in under three hours, the politician in your kitchen, someone who managed to rewrite the city laws just so he'd have another four years of killing everyone with less money than him, has just come up with another brilliant idea for emptying out the pockets of city residents. He wants to charge a five-cent tax on plastic bags.

No, not for buying them. For being given them. Every time you get a plastic bag at the supermarket? Five cents. Double-bagging a heavy item? Make that ten cents. Need to carry a newspaper home in the rain? One nickel, please. And to give the stores an incentive to do it, they will generously be allowed to charge an extra penny and keep it for themselves, making the tax effectively six cents a bag. (This penny is expected to be taxed as bonus revenue.)

It's supposed to cut down on recycling by forcing people to buy cloth bags.

Want to know about the tax on cloth bags?

GOP OTers, if you do nothing else, please keep this one out of high office...

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Tax and tax and tax and tax. (... Max Headroom 11-07-08 1
   RE: Tax and tax and tax and tax. (... Estee 11-07-08 3
       RE: Tax and tax and tax and tax. (... Max Headroom 11-07-08 7
   RE: Tax and tax and tax and tax. (... cahaya 11-07-08 4
 RE: Tax and tax and tax and tax. (... geg6 11-07-08 2
   RE: Tax and tax and tax and tax. (... Estee 11-07-08 5
       RE: Tax and tax and tax and tax. (... geg6 11-07-08 9
           RE: Tax and tax and tax and tax. (... Estee 11-07-08 10
 Serious Question PagongRatEater 11-07-08 6
   RE: Serious Question Estee 11-07-08 8
       RE: Serious Question jbug 11-07-08 13
 RE: Tax and tax and tax and tax. (... mysticwolf 11-07-08 11
   RE: Tax and tax and tax and tax. (... Starshine 11-08-08 16
 RE: Tax and tax and tax and tax. (... jbug 11-07-08 12
   RE: Tax and tax and tax and tax. (... Estee 11-07-08 14
 Waste and waste and waste and waste... cahaya 11-07-08 15
   RE: Waste and waste and waste and w... CTgirl 11-08-08 17
   RE: Waste and waste and waste and w... Silvergirl1 11-08-08 18

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Max Headroom 10069 desperate attention whore postings

11-07-08, 02:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Tax and tax and tax and tax. (no spend)"
Now there's some smart and progressive thinking. Since Manhattan has such a low cost of living, why not tax the residents a little bit more? They're all swimming in disposable income, after all. They won't even notice a measly extra six cents per plastic bag.

agman's got me ready for fall

11-07-08, 02:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Tax and tax and tax and tax. (no spend)"
Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island, and the Bronx, Max. Care to guess what percentage of NYC residents are at or below the poverty line?

Max Headroom 10069 desperate attention whore postings

11-07-08, 03:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Tax and tax and tax and tax. (no spend)"
Good point, Estee. Come to think of it, I did notice a slight difference between Central Park West and the neighborhoods near Yankee Stadium.

Today feels like Monday-- I can't even do a decent job of being sarcastic.

A foonerunt creation

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

11-07-08, 02:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Tax and tax and tax and tax. (no spend)"
Wow, think of the fortune the dumpster divers could make out of this!

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

11-07-08, 02:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Tax and tax and tax and tax. (no spend)"
Are you screwing with me or is there really a tax on the cloth bags?

If so, this has nothing to do with any sort of environmental concerns then. He's just a money grubber like all Republicans.

"There are souls that, crablike, crawl continually toward darkness, going backward in life rather than advancing, using their experience to increase their deformity, growing continually worse, and becoming steeped more and more thoroughly in the intensifying viciousness." Victor Hugo

11-07-08, 02:58 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Tax and tax and tax and tax. (no spend)"
Of course there's a tax on the cloth bags: sales tax. Plus since they're made of cloth, they might be eligible for a clothing tax. You could wear one, right? You might have to after you're done paying your other taxes. Oh, and then there's the Privilege Of Paying Mayor Bloomberg Tax Tax, can't forget that one...

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

11-07-08, 03:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Tax and tax and tax and tax. (no spend)"
No tax on either the bags or clothes here in PA.

One of the few good tax policies we have here.

"There are souls that, crablike, crawl continually toward darkness, going backward in life rather than advancing, using their experience to increase their deformity, growing continually worse, and becoming steeped more and more thoroughly in the intensifying viciousness." Victor Hugo

11-07-08, 05:17 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Tax and tax and tax and tax. (no spend)"
NJ has no sales tax on clothing. NY varies by the region: sometimes clothes under $100 have no tax, sometimes they do, sometimes everything has tax, and sometimes the mayor drops by to mug you in person. He's thoughtful that way.

PagongRatEater 12996 desperate attention whore postings

11-07-08, 03:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "Serious Question"
Are NYers actually going to re-elect this guy? I find it incredible that they would even consider it. Is he popular? If so, WHY?!?!

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.

11-07-08, 03:10 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Serious Question"
He's a multi-billionaire. If you don't vote for him, he buys your home and throws you out on the street. Because he can. It's either that or the man has access to serious mind-control drugs.

PRE, if I knew how the man kept getting into the big chair, I'd know how to stop it. Maybe you can't fool all of the people all of the time, but he's managed to fool a majority twice running -- and now he rewrote the laws to let him go for three. You'd think there would have to be a backlash eventually.

At this rate, you'd be horribly wrong.

jbug 17146 desperate attention whore postings

11-07-08, 09:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Serious Question"
Memphis has the same kind of mayor. Residents are brain washed or something. The media refers to him as King Willie.

mysticwolf 10692 desperate attention whore postings

11-07-08, 06:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mysticwolf Click to send private message to mysticwolf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Tax and tax and tax and tax. (no spend)"
The worst part is that as more stores start charging for them your .06 is turning into .11 (most stores that have started charging price them at .05). Possibly more, if you're also being charged tax on the original nickle charge from the store.

Seriously, this is something that more and more places are turning to. IKEA now charges .05 for each plastic bag. The UK and Ireland have both started requiring charges for them, and I don't think they're alone. There's a similar bill pending in California, and, again, I'm not sure that they're alone.

Around here I don't know of any stores that charge outright for them, although some have indicated that they might. We do have stores that are giving you a .10 discount on your purchase if you bring your own bag, and is it's their bag.

I've got probably 15-20 of the things, both with logos from the different area stores, and generic. We got pretty good at remembering to use them. If I forget to take one in with me, unless I need wastebasket liners or have a cart full, I reject one and carry the stuff to my car without. I had one clerk question me, in all seriousness, about whether I could carry the stuff without one. I pointed out that I'd managed to carry it all to the checkout. "Oh. Uh, I Guess you have a point."

Starshine 5033 desperate attention whore postings

11-08-08, 04:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Tax and tax and tax and tax. (no spend)"
We don't have compulsory charging for plastic bags yet in the UK (at least at any of the supermarkets I go to), although they do in Eire.

All of the supermarkets sell "Bags for life" for 50p ish (80 cents and dropping) that get replaced free when they wear out. Now if only I could remember to take them down to the car after unpacking them maybe I wouldn't have so many

I can sort of see the point of this, however I do have a quibble, I will have to buy unbiodegradable plastic bags to put my rubbish in before putting it in the bin, whereas the free bags were biodegradable.

J Slice what a cool lady

jbug 17146 desperate attention whore postings

11-07-08, 08:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Tax and tax and tax and tax. (no spend)"
I heard he was ready to lay off 1000 police officers and hire 200 meter maids. The tickets the meter maids would issue would bring in 6 million dollars (but I didn't hear anything about how he would be able to get people to pay the tickets - most cities have a problem with that).

BTW, I love my green bags - that are actually blue. The checker outers actually take time to pack everything neatly in the bags. All our groceries fit in 4 bags - makes it so easy to carry into the house .

by Agman

11-07-08, 09:09 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Tax and tax and tax and tax. (no spend)"
He's already canceled the next police academy class.

Because, you know, it's not as if NYC needs police officers.

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

11-07-08, 10:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "Waste and waste and waste and waste. (no keeping)"
LAST EDITED ON 11-07-08 AT 10:45 PM (EST)

One thing that struck me upon returning to the U.S. is the amount of waste Americans produce without even thinking about it. So much packaging, so little content relative to all the effort and cost put into the wrapping.

One way to prevent excessive waste is to make people pay for it. In the good old days, it seems, we Americans were a frugal lot, doing simple things like saving aluminum foil for reuse. Now? it all goes in the trash can.

Having said that, we still pay for all that plastic (or paper) we constantly bring home. Maybe not directly, but surely indirectly in the cost of the goods we put in them.

What has been the result of a 'plastic bag tax' imposed elsewhere? Far less use (and waste) of plastic bags, more so with a higher tax as in some European countries. The purpose of this tax is not so much to raise revenue (as it will decline rapidly, more so with a higher 'tax'), as to change behavior. That's right - change behavior. And is changing behavior towards less waste a good idea? Your call, but there is a reasonable argument in favor of it.

What does my local community do? Every week, trash is collected. For every trash bag, you have to place a $2 sticker on it to pay for waste collection and disposal. Every other week, recyclables are collected - including paper, plastic, aluminum, steel/tin, and other raw materials (in a list provided in noticed and on the web) collected and placed outside for collection. On these weeks, waste collection is free of charge. The result? One single bag of trash per week, and the equivalent of one container of recyclables per week. I've seen this same practice while I worked in the Netherlands and Belgium.

Maybe Bloomberg is a greedy tax collector. On the other hand, the concept of encouraging people to think twice about thoughtlessly collecting, wasting and tossing into our environment non-biodegradable packaging isn't such a bad idea. If people won't change behavior out of good will, they will certainly reconsider changing behavior out of increased cost, especially during these economic times.

CTgirl 8013 desperate attention whore postings

11-08-08, 12:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CTgirl Click to send private message to CTgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Waste and waste and waste and waste. (no keeping)"
Cahaya, I agree with you 100%.

The waste we create with packaging drives me nuts. I really do try to "reduce, reuse, recycle," but a lot of the packaging can't be reused or recycled and must be thrown out. It is such a waste of our resources.

I love that you have to pay per bag of trash. It really makes you think twice before using something and then throwing it out.

I'm all for a tax on bags to get people to reduce their use of them. I did a little search to get some background information on the pros and cons of plastic bags, and I found this debate on paper versus plastic of interest:

http://www.reason.org/commentaries/smithheisters_20080417.shtml

But bottom line, we just need to reduce waste in general.

Another Tribe Creation

Silvergirl1 9342 desperate attention whore postings

11-08-08, 02:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Silvergirl1 Click to send private message to Silvergirl1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Waste and waste and waste and waste. (no keeping)"

I already pay for trash collection with my taxes. We also recycle as much as possible. Our paper goes into paper bags, and we have to cut up cardboard boxes and place them in paper bags. It's all about the paper bags.

We recycle once a week, both plastic, glass, and other recyclables and paper. We have trash pick up twice a week. I'm kind of surprised they do it twice. I'm guessing they will look at ways to cut the budget soon, and pare it down to once a week.

Tribe, 2006

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •