The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Let's Talk About the Amazing Race!"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Fanatics Forum (Protected)
Original message

Wacko Jacko 2438 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

09-21-06, 04:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Wacko%20Jacko Click to send private message to Wacko%20Jacko Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Let's Talk About the Amazing Race!"
Just like someone said in the Survivor Forum....TOO MANY GAMES. realitytv.com is getting dragged down lately with too nuch fun and games. The games and stuff are ok, but should have their own place.

Personally I was looking forward to the Amazing Race this season...thought last season was really good. This season though even with the new twists it seems a little stale. I think they did to get the most competitive people they can on this show. Seems like the teams are all gimics we have seen before. There is the parent that is upset because they have a gay child, their is the male gay couple, their is the competitive jerk husband, the team of male models, the team of female models, etc. Let's just get 12 teams of the most competitive people we would ever see. I mean who here does not think the male models will win? Seems perdictable to me.

As for the first two teams gone....gimic teams. The Muslims who were billed up front in most promotion did not even make it to the first pitstop. Even so I felt they would be annoying. The Indian Team stood no chance....I just could not see the woman climbing that wall.

Amazing Race needs some fresh blood. Phil is great the concept is great but something needs to be new and not sure what it is.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Let's Talk About the Amazing Ra... HIKER 09-21-06 1
   RE: Let's Talk About the Amazing Ra... Snidget 09-21-06 2
       RE: Let's Talk About the Amazing Ra... HIKER 09-21-06 3
           RE: Let's Talk About the Amazing Ra... dabo 09-22-06 4
               RE: Let's Talk About the Amazing Ra... Colonel Zoidberg 09-23-06 8
                   RE: Let's Talk About the Amazing Ra... Snidget 09-23-06 9
                   RE: Let's Talk About the Amazing Ra... dabo 09-25-06 12
           RE: Let's Talk About the Amazing Ra... popeave 09-23-06 7
 RE: Let's Talk About the Amazing Ra... BOYmeetsREALITY 09-22-06 5
   RE: Let's Talk About the Amazing Ra... dabo 09-25-06 13
 RE: My problem with this season MsShel330 09-22-06 6
 RE: Let's Talk About the Amazing Ra... flipxcyd 09-24-06 10
 RE: Let's Talk About the Amazing Ra... seahorse 09-25-06 11
   RE: Let's Talk About the Amazing Ra... Cyndimaus 09-25-06 14

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

HIKER 3 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

09-21-06, 06:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HIKER Click to send private message to HIKER Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Let's Talk About the Amazing Race!"
Muslims are History. I'm sorry...but I lost all interest in the Muslims when they refused to shake hands with there competitors.
This is America pal...and in America we shake hands. When I visit your country... I will go out of my way and occustom(sp) myself to your practices and greatings. Bye Bye Muslims... Maybe next Survivor will have Muslims agaisnt Christians and you can re-apply....

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-21-06, 06:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Let's Talk About the Amazing Race!"
Um both of the Muslims as best as I could tell were BORN in the US, both served in the US military.

If you mean go to their country I guess with those two you mean Cleveland? I mean I know a few people that think Cleveland should be in a separate country, but last I checked you can be any religion you want and be a US citizen. Did that change?

Haunted by Tribe!

HIKER 3 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

09-21-06, 09:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HIKER Click to send private message to HIKER Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Let's Talk About the Amazing Race!"
Yes... I now they're Americans, but in America we shake hands to greet each other. If your religion differs, don't push it on others. What's next...we need to speak other languages to greet those that don't want to speak english. Where does it end?

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

09-22-06, 01:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Let's Talk About the Amazing Race!"
Review the tape, they only refused to shake hands with wimminz coz it is against their religion. Wimminz should be not seen and not heard or somesuch, Islam is pretty strict about stuff like that, they couldn't afford to be tainted. I mean, gee whiz, they'd have to go back to the factory or somesuch, be reprogrammed, what a drag.

Colonel Zoidberg 3662 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

09-23-06, 04:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to send private message to Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Let's Talk About the Amazing Race!"
LAST EDITED ON 09-23-06 AT 04:03 PM (EST)

I didn't understand the whole exchange...it seemed to me that the Muslims didn't shake hands because they don't do that with anyone, not just women. It made me wonder if they used an alternate greeting (i.e. if a Japanese team bowed) and if they were prepared to use that. Obviously, they did no such thing, which I don't understand. I do understand that shaking hands is a very Western thing, and by no measure are Muslims considered Western. However, considering that most cultures seem to have a method of greeting people, especially for the first time, I would imagine that they would either use it or adapt.

The Japanese may bow to each other, but when greeting a Westerner, they would think such a person was unusual if they bowed, as they expect us to shake their hands (lightly, I hear...) but it seems Muslims are a bit less culturally adaptive.

And as I type this post, I find myself watching a recorded episode of Deal or No Deal, a show hosted by a man who also has a shaved head and declines to shake hands...

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

09-23-06, 04:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Let's Talk About the Amazing Race!"
It has to do with the prohibitions on interactions between men and woman. Men are only allowed to touch woman they are related to by blood or marriage.

This article covers customs for shaking hands but only between same sex.

http://islamtoday.com/show_detail_section.cfm?q_id=794&main_cat_id=14

Imaginary friends by Bob!

09-25-06, 11:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Let's Talk About the Amazing Race!"
Just a moment or so before that one of the Black Muslims was shown shaking hands with one of the other guy racers. Why he explained not shaking hands with a woman in terms of "we don't do that" I can't imagine, though a more accurate explanation of the religious prohibition might have taken time and the careful selection of a lot of one and two syllable words.

popeave 433 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

09-23-06, 12:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail popeave Click to send private message to popeave Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Let's Talk About the Amazing Race!"
If your religion differs, don't push it on others.

I hardly think that politely explaining to someone that a certain behavior is part of your religion is "pushing it on others". If they had said something like, "We won't shake a woman's hand, and you'd all better convert to Islam or perish like the infidels you are," then that would be pushing their religion on others. It may be difficult for an American non-Muslim to understand the customs that these men follow, but it should not be difficult to understand that if those customs are motivated by religion and do not harm others, there's no problem if they follow those customs.

BOYmeetsREALITY 308 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

09-22-06, 11:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail BOYmeetsREALITY Click to send private message to BOYmeetsREALITY Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Let's Talk About the Amazing Race!"
I agree that some of the teams are predictable from other seasons. There are lots more relationships that could be explored (or exploited?!?!) on this show if the producers took a closer look. Maybe some groups of people just do not apply?

A "specialized" season, though a gimmick, could be interesting if done well! There could be races with Brother/Sister Teams, Mother/Daughter Teams, Granfather/Grandson Teams, Teams with couples who are celebrating their 25th Anniversaries, or - in a novel experiment - teams of people who have never met each other before, but wanted to be on the show! Maybe even groups of 4 or 6 strangers for a change???

In any event, I'm not so sure they needed to identify a team by their religious affiliation unless they were going to agree to do it for ALL the teams. Which one is the Jewish Team? How about the atheists? Where's the Cathjolics? It just seemed kind of silly to identify one team like this...

I like the start they are off to this season and look forward to following this group of DAW's around the globe again all season!

09-25-06, 11:52 AM (EST)
13. "RE: Let's Talk About the Amazing Race!"
LAST EDITED ON 09-25-06 AT 11:54 AM (EST)

Strangers racing as TAR partners, that really could be interesting. But a lot of the draw of the show traditionally has been the test it puts on ongoing relationships. Anyway, just please don't give me a Jonathan partner. I was raised in a pacifist sect and am not allowed to hit back.

MsShel330 695 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

09-22-06, 09:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MsShel330 Click to send private message to MsShel330 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: My problem with this season"
It's on Sunday so no TAR drinking game. Except for Columbus Day.

flipxcyd 1060 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

09-24-06, 11:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail flipxcyd Click to send private message to flipxcyd Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Let's Talk About the Amazing Race!"
Like the stock market, there should be a ticker going across the bottom of the screen telling you where each team is located.

An arkiegrl siggie

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings

09-25-06, 11:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail seahorse Click to send private message to seahorse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Let's Talk About the Amazing Race!"
"I think they did to get the most competitive people they can on this show. Seems like the teams are all gimics we have seen before. There is the parent that is upset because they have a gay child, their is the male gay couple, their is the competitive jerk husband, the team of male models, the team of female models, etc. Let's just get 12 teams of the most competitive people we would ever see. I mean who here does not think the male models will win? Seems perdictable to me."

The show is entertainment. If they only took the most competitive teams, all teams would look alike and be two young male teams. That would get boring pretty fast. Ultimately TAR needs ratings and to get ratings they need characters on their teams,even if they don't have much a chance to win.

Slice & Dice Sigpic Chop Shop 2005

Cyndimaus 3117 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

09-25-06, 01:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cyndimaus Click to send private message to Cyndimaus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Let's Talk About the Amazing Race!"
And here we all are talking about them even if they are "gimic" teams. When we stop talking then I guess the show is a failure. Until then I'll enjoy the various teams and laugh at their stereotypical behaviour and talk about them with all of you after the show airs.

sig courtesy of Cygnus
Mouse on the move by Snidget

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •