The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Those darn East Coasters..."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

Max Headroom 10069 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-08-08, 11:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Those darn East Coasters..."
...bringing their uppity, elitist attitudes to America's heartland.

http://tinyurl.com/5kscck

As students arrived in the quaint college town last week, there was some low-key clashing of cultures. "It almost feels like something's not right here. Everyone's just so friendly," said Steven Glassman, a 46-year-old attorney from East Hanover, N.J., after kissing his son, Jason, goodbye last Thursday. Mr. Glassman and his wife say the school is "hot" on the East Coast right now -- especially among aspiring business students -- but will still be a healthy transition for their son, "coming from a city of mean rotten people who will run you over without thinking about it."

Ah, the joys of living in fly-over country!

Headbanger by IceCat, siggie by agman

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Those darn East Coasters... mrc 09-08-08 1
 RE: Those darn East Coasters... J Slice 09-08-08 2
   RE: Those darn East Coasters... Max Headroom 09-08-08 5
 So: Estee 09-08-08 3
 RE: Those darn East Coasters... Karchita 09-08-08 4
   RE: Those darn East Coasters... weltek 09-08-08 13
       RE: Those darn East Coasters... Karchita 09-08-08 17
 RE: Those darn East Coasters... Brownroach 09-08-08 6
   *points* moonbaby 09-08-08 11
       Can't fool me! IceCat 09-08-08 12
           RE: Can't fool me! weltek 09-08-08 16
 RE: Those darn East Coasters... cahaya 09-08-08 7
   RE: Those darn East Coasters... J Slice 09-08-08 8
   RE: Those darn East Coasters... jbug 09-08-08 9
       RE: Those darn East Coasters... cahaya 09-08-08 14
           That's a shame moonbaby 09-08-08 15
               RE: That's a shame cahaya 09-08-08 18
 RE: Those darn East Coasters... Sagebrush Dan 09-08-08 10
 RE: Those darn East Coasters... Spanky68 09-08-08 19
   RE: Those darn East Coasters... grit 09-09-08 20

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

mrc 10113 desperate attention whore postings

09-08-08, 11:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mrc Click to send private message to mrc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Those darn East Coasters..."
Heh.

A Slice of Manga

J Slice 13166 desperate attention whore postings

09-08-08, 12:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail J%20Slice Click to send private message to J%20Slice Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Those darn East Coasters..."
Hey, man. I resemble that remark!

I'm trying to recall the moves of the folks I graduated with (granted, that's a ludicrous sample, because pretty much everyone was loaded and/or well-connected)... Not very many headed to the midwest; I was one of the students who almost did (it was a tossup at the last minute whether or not I was to attend Macalester) - I even applied to 5 schools in the midwest, making that my #1 region.

I always thought UWV was New Jersey-west, but maybe times have changed?

Super happy action blog time!

Max Headroom 10069 desperate attention whore postings

09-08-08, 12:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Those darn East Coasters..."
Hey, the girl pictured in the article is from Westchester County. Do you know her??

On a more serious note, I'm sure it would be a culture shock to come to a relatively small college town like Bloomington from the New York City area. Just as it was a culture shock for me to visit New York City. (And I live in the big city, #12 in the US in metro area population... except our metro area population is less than 10% of the NYC area.)

But you would've been welcome out here.

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

09-08-08, 12:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "So:"
Would you like me to shoot you now, or do you want to wait until you get home?

Karchita 4483 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

09-08-08, 12:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Karchita Click to send private message to Karchita Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Those darn East Coasters..."
Indiana: It's the new Wisconsin. *gigglesnort*

'Cept it sounds like we all got along a lot better.

weltek 16936 desperate attention whore postings

09-08-08, 01:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Those darn East Coasters..."
LAST EDITED ON 09-08-08 AT 02:08 PM (EST)

Were the "coasties" penetrating campus, then, too? Between the car, the apartment and the laptop, we can still spot em. Oh, and the gold or silver purses (mostly CA & NY coasties).

ETA: I could never understand why a southerner or west coast peep would want to venture into our snowy winters, but they get so stoked for snow. Brrrr!

Karchita 4483 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

09-08-08, 02:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Karchita Click to send private message to Karchita Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Those darn East Coasters..."
Sure, there were lots of them, along with the hairy mammoths and sabre toothed tigers who also roamed the campus at that time.

I only knew one person from California the whole time I was there, and nobody from anywhere else out west or the south that I remember, but there were heaps from NY, NJ, Boston, DC, and of course Pennsylvania.

They didn't seem any different from the rich kids from Chicago, Milwaukee or Minneapolis to me, all of whom could afford a lot different lifestyle than I could, but I don't remember any of the us-vs.-them attitudes described in that article. They existed, we existed, and we moved in different circles. I think there was a lot less of the showy affluence in general in our society in the seventies than there is now.

I and all of my friends had to work, so that meant I mostly hung out with people paying in-state tuition (WI or MN), often from large families and/or small towns. Good times. I had a great bunch of friends in college.

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

09-08-08, 12:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Those darn East Coasters..."
<<< runs in, mows down everyone in thread, runs out >>>

Surfkitten Summer Sigshop 2008

moonbaby 17120 desperate attention whore postings

09-08-08, 01:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail moonbaby Click to send private message to moonbaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "*points*"
You missed some

Oh hey wait, I'm mean and rotten. Please change that to a face. Ooops, maybe I shouldn't have said please.

Gah.

Nicely Sliced!

IceCat 17415 desperate attention whore postings

09-08-08, 01:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "Can't fool me!"

New Yorkers will stand on a street corner and joke about hockey results with visiting Canadians. I found it to be a very friendly city.

Mind you, that was six months after 9/11 and people seemed to be happy that people were coming to visit... I hope it hasn't changed since then.

weltek 16936 desperate attention whore postings

09-08-08, 02:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Can't fool me!"
I generally found the same thing in NYC. I think there were peeps annoyed at Gray's Papaya when I couldn't blurt out my order in Newyorkese, but nobody made fun of me.

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

09-08-08, 12:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Those darn East Coasters..."
Interesting article...

Upperclassmen say the tension begins to build from day one of freshman year, as most East Coasters request to live in the same cluster of dorms and send in housing deposits to guarantee their spots long before committing to the school. Jess Berne, a freshman from New York's suburban Westchester County who had also applied to Penn State and the University of Wisconsin, sent in her housing deposit to Indiana as soon as she was admitted in October, at the school's recommendation, eight months before she decided to actually enroll. She also requested to room with a fellow New Yorker, Becky Davies, whom she met on Facebook.

This is true. I did Move In Day volunteer duty at one of the aforementioned cluster of dorms, which houses more out-of-state students than any other.

You should have seen the moving vans. Not cars, not SUV's, not pickup trucks, but Mayflower-sized moving vans! And a good number of fully-loaded U-Haul trucks, too. Out goes almost everything in the dorm room and in goes enough furniture and stuff cover almost every square foot of a glorified closet much smaller even than a Japanese apartment. So many overworked dads were around carry every single box and to build the bookcases, tv/stereo racks and bunks that all came in boxes to be assembled (and these, most assuredly, not bought at Wal-mart).

And they together came in large groups of parents and students. One group of dads drove up in another van loaded with nothing but tarps and poles to build a gathering tent to host lunch and snacks for all their spoiled kiddies while they spent hours moving in house-loads of stuff into their dorm rooms in apparent violation of Newtonian vector space physics.

I guess if East Coasters are good at something, it's packing maximum stuff into a minimum-sized abode.

After three years at IU, Samantha Barton hasn't spent much time outside class socializing with her Midwestern classmates because she thinks they have so little in common. But the Armonk, N.Y., native has also noticed that her Indiana counterparts appear to be more "optimistic" and is beginning to wonder if there's a link.

"I like when things go my way, and if something bad happens to me I'll cry all day and I'll need, like, a Xanax," she says. As for her classmates from Indiana, she says, "They seem....happier."

Well... I wonder why!

J Slice 13166 desperate attention whore postings

09-08-08, 12:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail J%20Slice Click to send private message to J%20Slice Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Those darn East Coasters..."
Ah, Armonk. I used to work up there. Very nice little town, but nothing at all to do. Usually the kids all chalk their IDs and hit the bars in White Plains.

These kids have generally been shoved by parents, and while they're entitled, no doubt about it, a lot of it is due to the pressure of earning as much as their folks, so that way they can continue to live in the comfort they're used to.

I'm going down a very different path. It's going to be interesting, needless to say. Westchester's a strange and wonderful place to grow up.

Super happy action blog time!

jbug 17146 desperate attention whore postings

09-08-08, 12:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Those darn East Coasters..."
Will we soon be hearing about the desegregation of the dorms?

Slicey took out the wrinkles '08

09-08-08, 01:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Those darn East Coasters..."
In some ways, they already are. There are floors with guys on one end and gals on the other, with a non-locked hallway door in between!

You do raise an interesting point, though. Because future (and existing) students can request their dorm, floor, room and roommate(s), we see more aggregation of students who are from the same area and/or are friends within an already existing social circle. As such, they might not be as likely to extend their friendship circles with other students on campus, as they will already be within a circle that has effectively been transplanted from an out-of-state high school and onto the university campus.

moonbaby 17120 desperate attention whore postings

09-08-08, 02:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail moonbaby Click to send private message to moonbaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "That's a shame"
I think they're really missing out.

09-08-08, 02:43 PM (EST)
18. "RE: That's a shame"
I agree, and it's a topic of discussion at the Directors' meeting I'm involved with. There's some discussion about taking some of the functionality out of the online applications that allows them to do this so easily. But this isn't likely to happen. Imagine the hue and cry that would result! East Coasters (both students and their parents) are, by reputation, a vocal lot.

Sagebrush Dan 10002 desperate attention whore postings

09-08-08, 12:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sagebrush%20Dan Click to send private message to Sagebrush%20Dan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Those darn East Coasters..."
Soon this will replace the Whiffenpoof Song:

'Round my Indiana homesteads wave the cornfields,
In the distance loom the woodlands clear and cool.
Oftentimes my thoughts revert to scenes of childhood,
Where I first received my lessons, nature's school.
But one thing there is missing in the picture,
Without her face it seems so incomplete.
I long to see my mother in the doorway,
As she stood there years ago, her boy to greet.

Spanky68 8092 desperate attention whore postings

09-08-08, 03:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Spanky68 Click to send private message to Spanky68 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Those darn East Coasters..."
This tension isn't exclusive to NYC vs IU. I teach at a small college in a small town. Nearly half of our students in the dorms are from small towns in the area while the rest are from inner city Houston or the Houston suburbs.

So here the tension is big city people (man there's nothing to do here! translation: I don't want to drive 40 miles to the nearest mall) and the small town people (my truck is 1995, not 1982, ya long haired freak!).

People from different cultural backgrounds will find things to dislike about each other. But we usually settle them peacefully.

Thanks for the article.

Agman made this fancy sig for me

grit 4868 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

09-09-08, 07:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail grit Click to send private message to grit Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Those darn East Coasters..."
I went to a small college in the middle of freakin' nowhere in upstate NY and it was also like that. Most of the NYC and LI students whined and complained but I ended up loving it up there. I would love to live up in the Adirondacks someday. My husband doesn't. I'll miss him. *sniff sniff*

I got sliced!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •