The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Family Lifestyle Change Report"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

sharnina 3083 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

08-21-08, 07:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sharnina Click to send private message to sharnina Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Family Lifestyle Change Report"
I mentioned in another thread that our family has started the South Beach Diet and I wanted to report in.

So far DH is down 12lbs, I'm down 9lbs, and older DD is down 7lbs. We have stopped calling it a diet and are now calling it a lifestyle change. Our girls are very much into it including our skinny little Jane. We are feeding her pasta, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and yogurt every chance we get.

We're almost at the end of the very restrictive 2 weeks of Phase 1 and will start Phase 2 next week where the weight loss will not be as dramatic. Phase 2 will gradually reintroduce fruits and whole grains. We'll all probably slow down to about 2-3 lbs a week, a more normal rate. I've bought the cook book and we've been enjoying a variety of dishes - always a meat and 2 vegetables. We've managed to get in some treats with sugar free items like popsicles, pudding (without the skin), and candy - but not more than one of those items per day.

I know there have been a couple of weight loss topics over the year and I am wondering how everyone is doing. Have any of you ever made this a family project? What do you do to get exercise in that can include the spouse and kids?

GUESS WHAT! I got a FEV-ah -- and the only pre-SCRIP-tion
-- is MORE COWBELL!

Shar's World

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Family Lifestyle Change Report Scarlett O Hara 08-21-08 1
 RE: Family Lifestyle Change Report syren 08-21-08 2
   RE: Family Lifestyle Change Report Snidget 08-21-08 3
       RE: Family Lifestyle Change Report syren 08-21-08 4
           RE: Family Lifestyle Change Report Snidget 08-21-08 5
               RE: Family Lifestyle Change Report syren 08-21-08 6
   RE: Family Lifestyle Change Report sharnina 08-21-08 7
       RE: Family Lifestyle Change Report Snidget 08-21-08 8
       RE: Family Lifestyle Change Report syren 08-21-08 10
           RE: Family Lifestyle Change Report Snidget 08-22-08 13
 RE: Family Lifestyle Change Report Seana 08-21-08 9
 RE: Family Lifestyle Change Report Karchita 08-21-08 11
 RE: Family Lifestyle Change Report cahaya 08-22-08 12
   RE: Family Lifestyle Change Report Max Headroom 08-22-08 14
 RE: Family Lifestyle Change Report true 08-22-08 15
   RE: Family Lifestyle Change Report sharnina 08-22-08 16
 Thread jack Karchita 08-22-08 17
 RE: Family Lifestyle Change Report dragonflies 08-23-08 18

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Scarlett O Hara 3439 desperate attention whore postings

08-21-08, 07:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Scarlett%20O%20Hara Click to send private message to Scarlett%20O%20Hara Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Family Lifestyle Change Report"
Good for you, S! That's great that your whole family is in it together! I can attest to the SB Diet -- I lost 30-lbs on it 4 years ago and made it a lifestyle change too! Today, I can say that I have kept it all off and continue to make healthy diet choices. Keep it up and check back with us regularly to let us know how you are doing!

syren 5418 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-21-08, 09:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail syren Click to send private message to syren Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Family Lifestyle Change Report"
Does the South Beach Diet phase one have lots of eggs/cheese? If it does are their things you can use instead?

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

08-21-08, 09:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Family Lifestyle Change Report"
You can use other protein sources they don't have to be eggs and cheese.

There are some bean and you can do soy if you prefer to go full out vegetarian.

Medal winning sigs by Agman!6.02 x 1023

08-21-08, 09:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail syren Click to send private message to syren Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Family Lifestyle Change Report"
I have thought about doing this before, but I don't eat eggs or cheese, and DH doesn't eat beans. I am trying to find something where I don't have to cook multiple main dishes.

08-21-08, 09:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Family Lifestyle Change Report"
You can do fish and chicken as well as lean beef and pork.

Eggs makes breakfast easier, but you can do turkey bacon or Canadian bacon and tomato juice (or just not eat breakfast foods for breakfast)

08-21-08, 09:27 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Family Lifestyle Change Report"
Thank you. With this information I think this is something I could do for us and not be put out by all the different likes and dislikes in our home.

Thanks.

08-21-08, 09:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sharnina Click to send private message to sharnina Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Family Lifestyle Change Report"
You could go the route of egg substitute. Breakfast uses that quite a bit along with real eggs. I've only had eggs for breakfast and one other time this week had boiled egg with lunch.

Mostly what I get out of this is the meat and veggies. There is a lot of cheese eaten throughout the diet but mostly at the snack times. So I would say you could sub with any of the snacks that are listed in the menus.

Are you allergic to eggs? And cheese? Or just choose not to eat them?

If you do this, count on cleaning out your fridge and freezer really good before you go shopping. We filled ours with loads of fresh veggies and meats the first week. I had to get a little organized after the first couple of days. One of the things that I've done that's really helped a lot is cutting up some of the veggies like peppers, celery, and onions and storing them in ziplocs or covered bowls so they are ready when I have to cook.

DH and I spent the week before we started really psyching the kids up for this because we knew we would need their cooperation in order for this to succeed. I showed them book and all the stuff that we would be getting to eat and try to involve them in the preparation. We haven't eaten out the last two weeks which is some kind of record for us. We also sit down every night to a set table and share our meal together. Breakfast has even become more of a family affair with DH taking over the cooking there. He's done a great job with that and with helping me in the evenings.

Check the book out from the library and see what it's like. I was sold after the first couple of chapters.

-- is MORE COWBELL!

Shar's World

08-21-08, 09:35 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Family Lifestyle Change Report"
You can do nuts for snacks, but you have to watch the amount, they are easy to overdo, but they give the guidelines in the books.

I find the recipes in them tend to be really good.

Once the summer fruit season is over I am thinking I might do a couple of weeks of Phase I. I can lose weight on any diet as long as I watch the portions, but I might need a bit of a jump start again soon as I'm stalling out a lot and that might do it for me.

I do not have craving issues, but I do find I like a diet with a bit more good carbs than the first two phases of South Beach allows. I do like that it focuses on what is good from each food group rather than just saying the whole thing is bad.

08-21-08, 10:40 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Family Lifestyle Change Report"
Eggs and cheese both make me ill. Cheese to me is nothing but curdled milk, and eggs just really make me sick to my stomach.

I am going to look into it and see what I can sub for the dairy portion, because other than yogurt and ice cream me and dairy do not mix at all.

08-22-08, 05:45 AM (EST)
13. "RE: Family Lifestyle Change Report"
Yogurt is allowed (just not with sugar added) as would be a low fat low sugar type of ice cream.

We have some Blue Bunny Ice cream bars around here that had the right amount of calories for the treat allowance in Phase One.

Seana 5044 desperate attention whore postings

08-21-08, 10:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Seana Click to send private message to Seana Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Family Lifestyle Change Report"
Well done! It must have been difficult to get everyone on board with this. But good for you for initiating it and good for your family for pariticipating so willingly.

RE nuts: the fitness book I have recommends almonds (6 = 45 calories) and almond butter (1Tbsp = 97 calories) and calls them "essential fats" (omega-3 and omega6 fatty acids).

Our family has taking up bicycling. We bought a 4-bike carrier for the car and go to recreational trails in the area. Also, we bike to the Y for lessons and anywhere else a reasonable distance away if we have and errand. I just wish riding in the city wasn't so dramatic. At least the trails are peaceful.

Karchita 4483 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

08-21-08, 11:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Karchita Click to send private message to Karchita Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Family Lifestyle Change Report"
Wow, I'm impressed. Good luck to all of you!

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

08-22-08, 00:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Family Lifestyle Change Report"
After DW was diagnosed with diabetes type 2, we changed things around a bit for the whole family, starting with a lot more attention to what we were eating. We eat much less sugar and saturated fat and more natural foods and fibers. DW is walking three miles almost every morning, shedding about 15 pounds along with a normal blood sugar level where she doesn't have to take prescription meds (Avandia) any more, and DS has lost more than 20 pounds and is working out regularly. I'm trim as usual and my cholesterol count it where it should be. We made it a family thing to be fit in the way we eat and exercise, and kudos to you and your family for doing the same!

Max Headroom 10069 desperate attention whore postings

08-22-08, 07:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Family Lifestyle Change Report"
I'm trim as usual

Yeah, you could say that.

I wish I could exercise more, and I like to walk, but walking with DW is a challenge as someone has to push a stroller full of 30 lbs of caterwauling preschooler.

I want out! Out! Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuutttttttttttttt! Mommy, can I walk? I want to WALK! I want to walk NOW! Right now! Daddy, can I get out? Out!

*sigh*

Yesterday I did my walking on the golf course.

A SharTribe creation!

true 9689 desperate attention whore postings

08-22-08, 10:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail true Click to send private message to true Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Family Lifestyle Change Report"
Good for you Sharina and family. Personally, I could never follow such a rigid diet. As soon as I ate my first piece of bread all the weight would come back.

I've been doing really well on WW. I eat as much as I possibly can while still losing weight. That way I figure when I stop being so careful keeping track of my calorie intake, I'll still be ok. In other words, a lifestyle change I'll be able to live with over the long haul.

We go out to eat a.lot. Now that I'm more aware of real portion sizes, I still enjoy a meal out, I just eat half of what I'm given, and take the rest home. That way I never feel deprived, but I'm still within a reasonable calorie count.

I've also been walking 45 minutes to an hour each day. I think I'm at a plateau with my exercise, so I joined a gym to incorporate more weight training into my routine.

Overall, I'm down 20 lbs. since June 1. Not bad considering I still have my nightly glass or two of wine, and all the stuff I lvoe to eat. I know it's a slow process, and if I average 1 lb a week loss, I know I can keep it off for good.

I do not eat any "diet" food. ICK! Lots of fruits, veggies, and lean protiens. I'm eating a much cleaner diet, and it's awesome. It does take some prep and planning, but I can safely say that I do not miss icky fast food. BLECH!

Good luck to all of you who are trying to live a healthier lifestyle!

08-22-08, 11:34 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Family Lifestyle Change Report"
only the first two weeks is "rigid." Fruits and breads are eliminated and the purpose for this is to reset the body's need and craving for carbohydrates. I've tried and failed with WW because I was hungry all the time. Other than the first couple of days I have not been truly hungry. We've eaten lots of vegetables, chicken, lean beef and fish over the last couple of weeks. We've had a fritata with smoked salmon and asparagus for breakfast last week. Tonight we had poached salmon with a sour cream and cucumber sauce, aparagus, edamame salad, and broiled tomatoes. We have snacks twice a day and desert every night.

With the health issues that I have going on - high blood pressure, high cholesterol - I'm practically begging to develop stage 2 diabetes. I've learned more this two weeks about how my body handles food and what will make me healthier than I have with any other diet. The second stage of this diet reintroduces fruits and breads and oats - pretty much everything I would normally eat. But now I know to avoid having too many simple carbs in one day and if I do, what to eat in combination with those carbs.

Good for you on your success.

-- is MORE COWBELL!

Shar's World

Karchita 4483 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

08-22-08, 11:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Karchita Click to send private message to Karchita Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "Thread jack"
First, congrats to true. 20 lbs. in three months sounds very sensible yet a huge achievement. Way to go!

I have been thinking about alli. Yes I know about the nasty downside. Any comments?

There was a thread on alli a while ago, but I'll be ding-danged if I can find it. I located it on google, but the link doesn't work. So go ahead a give me a margarita hat, who ever is in charge of that.

dragonflies 8051 desperate attention whore postings

08-23-08, 02:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dragonflies Click to send private message to dragonflies Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Family Lifestyle Change Report"
Way to Go Sharnina and family!

I started back on the Curves diet, which is a modified Atkins. I started on Monday morning. Made it until lunchtime. *sigh*

I'm hoping with the kids going back to school & swim after Labor Day that I can get going with increased exercise again. I usually walk while they are at practice. I've been meaning to get on the Wii again, but just feeling too lazy.

It begins 8-8-08
sig by Arkie

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •