The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Housewarming gift"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

Max Headroom 10069 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-11-08, 07:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Housewarming gift"
I have a friend who recently moved to a new house, and I'm trying to think of a good housewarming gift to get her. Being a guy, I am devoid of useful gift ideas, so I asked DW... and she's stumped too. So I figured I'd ask OT.

A little background: This is a friend I've known since grade school. She's recently divorced and just went through the divorce from hell, complete with extensive marital infidelity (her ex-husband only) and a nasty custody battle over their three adopted Chinese daughters. My friend recently moved to a state far away from her old home and started a new job, and I suspect money is tight for her right now.

I don't like giving money or gift cards, but other suggestions are welcome. Well, constructive ones, anyway.

A SharTribe creation!

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Two things IceCat 08-11-08 1
 RE: Housewarming gift Snidget 08-11-08 2
 RE: Housewarming gift syren 08-11-08 3
   RE: Housewarming gift Max Headroom 08-11-08 6
       RE: Housewarming gift syren 08-11-08 8
   RE: Housewarming gift HistoryDetective 08-11-08 9
       RE: Housewarming gift syren 08-11-08 10
       RE: Housewarming gift suzzee 08-11-08 11
 RE: Housewarming gift kingfish 08-11-08 4
   RE: Housewarming gift Max Headroom 08-11-08 7
 RE: Housewarming gift Breezy 08-11-08 5
 RE: Housewarming gift samboohoo 08-11-08 12
 RE: Housewarming gift kingfish 08-11-08 13
   RE: Housewarming gift foonermints 08-11-08 14
       RE: Housewarming gift kingfish 08-11-08 15
 RE: Housewarming gift MKitty 08-11-08 16
 RE: Housewarming gift Tahj 08-11-08 17
 RE: Housewarming gift grit 08-11-08 18
   Spread the Cheese IceCat 08-12-08 19
 RE: Housewarming gift Denalio 08-12-08 20

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

IceCat 17415 desperate attention whore postings

08-11-08, 07:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Two things"

... an ice cream maker and a waffle cone iron.

Ice cream being the ultimate comfort food.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

08-11-08, 08:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Housewarming gift"
LAST EDITED ON 08-11-08 AT 08:10 AM (EST)

Hmmmm. That is hard, because I don't know what appliances/cookware and stuff she might have taken with her.

One thought so you don't duplicate what they have would be one of those fruit of the month or something like that club where you get something every month for a few months and they don't have to store it or deal with having two of something.

If you know her taste and color scheme you could do some sort of lamp or other home decorating thing, but that can go really wrong really fast.

Candles are an option, especially something that will look pretty if they don't want to burn it.

Do they have a yard or outside where they are? Something for the patio like a hammock chair could be nice.

One last thought. If you think husband got custody of the tools in the divorce a nice set of tools for doing around the house stuff (hammer, cordless drill, etc.) might be welcomed. You can get a tool box and do it up like a "gift basket". Also it usually isn't that bad if you have duplicates as you can be charging one while using the other or have a spare when one hides for awhile.

Edit for clarity.

syren 5418 desperate attention whore postings

08-11-08, 08:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail syren Click to send private message to syren Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Housewarming gift"
LAST EDITED ON 08-11-08 AT 08:11 AM (EST)

I like Icy's suggestions.

Although I know when I have moved into a new home the things I most lack seems to be cleaning stuff. If she is far from you, maybe you could find a maid service for her for a month (once a week) or a giftbasket with baisc cleaning supplies. Gloves, towels, cloths, sponges, air freshner, and if you can deliver it personally different types of cleaning liquids. Or in place of the liquids if you are to far away you could send a giftcard with the basket for her to pick up her favorites.

I know it is a little unconventional, but the thing that has been the biggest hassle when moving for me was the basic cleaning things.

ETA: Also, don't forget the kids, they moved too and sometimes get left out when housewarming gifts are presented. Get a small age appropriate poster or something for their room/s.

08-11-08, 08:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Housewarming gift"
Thanks syren. My friend moved to the Atlanta area, so maybe you can deliver the gift basket for me.

A SharTribe creation!

08-11-08, 08:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail syren Click to send private message to syren Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Housewarming gift"
You are welcome.

If you need me too, I can.

HistoryDetective 9516 desperate attention whore postings

08-11-08, 08:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail HistoryDetective Click to send private message to HistoryDetective Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Housewarming gift"
Also, don't forget the kids, they moved too and sometimes get left out when housewarming gifts are presented. Get a small age appropriate poster or something for their room/s.

Ex-hubby deserves a present too.

http://www.poopsenders.com/?gclid=CPyX177whZUCFQopIgodMTN6rg

"Frankly, I don't care what you think." --- PagongRatEater, 20 October 2007

08-11-08, 08:44 AM (EST)
10. "RE: Housewarming gift"

That is hilarious. LOL

Thank you, I really needed that. So far I have picked up my phone twice this morning to call my dad, only to realize that I can't.

suzzee 5961 desperate attention whore postings

08-11-08, 10:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail suzzee Click to send private message to suzzee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Housewarming gift"
Just cut my Christmas shopping in half, thanks!!

kingfish 20752 desperate attention whore postings

08-11-08, 08:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Housewarming gift"
A chipmunk skin rug.

08-11-08, 08:35 AM (EST)
7. "RE: Housewarming gift"
Wouldn't work, the trap rate has decreased rapidly lately. But thanks for the thought-- one never knows when the next round of 39 chipmunks will show up.

Another catchy agman siggie

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings

08-11-08, 08:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Housewarming gift"
Go to a book store and buy her a Handy Woman's book. I have an old one titled "How to Fix Just About Anything". I'm sure they have cooler more women specific ones now a days. Also if it were I buying it, I'd stick a Home Depot or Menards card in it too. (I know you said no gift cards)

Breezy is alone in her tree...

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings

08-11-08, 01:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Housewarming gift"
I think you have received a couple of things I like here, especially the tool kit suggestion.

I bought a neat little tool box from Target a couple of years ago. It was too expensive, and it has the basics you would need.

I have a friend whose MIL gives them house item stocking stuffers each year like batteries, lightbulbs (which you could now give in the energy-saving variety), etc.

A mixing bowl/special cookie jar or platter. You could even include ingredients and a recipe, plus aprons for all the girls.

A wicker laundry basket full of towels, washcloths, etc. They could be monogrammed.

I agree with Syren's suggestion of the cleaning supplies - again another way of introducing her to the Green world.

On many occasions, I have given a housewarming gift of pantry staples.

surfkitten summer sigshop 2008

08-11-08, 01:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Housewarming gift"
I am also talentless in this area. So when I'm in your situation I get fat scented candles. Totally useless, IMO, and it feels like a coward's way out, but, amazingly it seems to go over OK. At least people are nice enough not to make fun of me. To my face.

I like the smarter suggestions here better, though.

foonermints 14531 desperate attention whore postings

08-11-08, 02:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Housewarming gift"
*waves away "fat scent"*

08-11-08, 02:37 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Housewarming gift"
I have, however received a few comments about my "Sweat Scented Candles", aka "Locker Room Reek".

MKitty 2976 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

08-11-08, 04:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MKitty Click to send private message to MKitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Housewarming gift"
Yeah, some good suggestions here. I would go with a gift basket from a kitchen or bath shop...they are ALWAYS appreciated!

Goin' Tuscan from Surfkitten 2008

Tahj 4136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

08-11-08, 05:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tahj Click to send private message to Tahj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Housewarming gift"
LAST EDITED ON 08-11-08 AT 05:05 PM (EST)

I recently went to a housewarming. My gifts were a candle--a nice one, scented, and a CD. If you know her musical tastes, that might be nice. Both items are very usable, small, and if they get duplicated, it's OK as long as it's not the same exact CD.

Edited to add--A wind chime might also be nice. I would not recommend plants, if you're thinking about it.

It's a Tribe!

grit 4868 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

08-11-08, 07:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail grit Click to send private message to grit Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Housewarming gift"
See if you can get your hands on her mortgage payment booklet. Pull out the next couple of payment coupons and send them in with a check.

Barring that, a nice bottle of wine and some chocolates and/or cheeses are nice. You should try those new varieties of cheese from Israel. You know, Cheeses of Nazareth. They're a hit in my house.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

IceCat 17415 desperate attention whore postings

08-12-08, 00:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "Spread the Cheese"

... on some piping hot Dead Sea Rolls.

Denalio 904 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

08-12-08, 01:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Denalio Click to send private message to Denalio Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Housewarming gift"
Nice picture frames, candlesticks, gift basket with food items that are fun and unusual (I love Trader Joes for this), basket with gardening supplies (flowers or veggies) if she likes to garden (er, a plant -- I DID just send a friend a dwarf blueberry bush for her patio!), and of course, the tools and handywoman book is also a fabulous idea.

If you know her music tastes, a CD or two is nice. Stuff for her kids and pets is also nice.

Hope this is helpful!

Awe inspiring Tribe sig!!!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •