The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Dracula visits Venezuela"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-10-08, 02:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Dracula visits Venezuela"
LAST EDITED ON 08-10-08 AT 04:45 PM (EST)

Apparently he's brought rabies with him. Wonder how many of these bats are among the undead?

38 People in Venezuela Die After Being Bitten by Vampire Bats

Edit: Oops, that link above is to an article I was going to post to the "Feminism in Russia" thread in answer to Prof's comments -- of course, sexual harassment isn't "gone" in the U.S. either.

Maybe the VAMPIRES are among the harassers? Naah. Only in Buffy's world.

Here's the real link:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,400901,00.html

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Dracula visits Venezuela suzzee 08-10-08 1
 RE: Dracula visits Venezuela Snidget 08-10-08 2
   RE: Dracula visits Venezuela mysticwolf 08-10-08 4
       RE: Dracula visits Venezuela Snidget 08-10-08 5
           RE: Dracula visits Venezuela mysticwolf 08-10-08 7
               RE: Dracula visits Venezuela Snidget 08-10-08 9
       A bat named Ozzie? moonbaby 08-10-08 11
           Ozzie the Headless Bat IceCat 08-11-08 14
               tee hee hee! moonbaby 08-11-08 17
 RE: Dracula visits Venezuela jbug 08-10-08 3
   RE: Dracula visits Venezuela mysticwolf 08-10-08 6
       RE: Dracula visits Venezuela Prof_ Wagstaff 08-10-08 8
       RE: Dracula visits Venezuela jbug 08-11-08 16
 RE: Dracula visits Venezuela KeithFan 08-10-08 10
   RE: Dracula visits Venezuela Estee 08-10-08 12
       RE: Dracula visits Venezuela KeithFan 08-11-08 18
           RE: Dracula visits Venezuela Estee 08-11-08 19
 RE: Dracula visits Venezuela cahaya 08-11-08 13
   RE: Dracula visits Venezuela mysticwolf 08-11-08 15
       RE: Dracula visits Venezuela cahaya 08-11-08 20

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

suzzee 5961 desperate attention whore postings

08-10-08, 03:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail suzzee Click to send private message to suzzee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Dracula visits Venezuela"
Try this link

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,400901,00.html

That stuff just creeps me out{{shudder}}

Surfkitten Summer Sigshop 2008

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

08-10-08, 03:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Dracula visits Venezuela"
Yikes.

Bats really don't have rabies all that often (compared to other species) but they can have it. Unfortunately they tend to make the news when they do compared to other critters, maybe cause we fear them more.

mysticwolf 10692 desperate attention whore postings

08-10-08, 04:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mysticwolf Click to send private message to mysticwolf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Dracula visits Venezuela"
No. Rabies is fairly promenent in bats, however they are able to live with the bat rabies virus and don't show the same signs of infection that we see in other mammals.

Granted, most cases of rabies transmission to humans world-wide are caused by dog bites, not bats, but there is a very good reason why they recommend that any young or mentally incapactitated person found in a room with a bat, or anyone who wakes up to find a bat in their bedroom, begin treatment and submit the bat for testing ASAP. The fear comes from a combination of how prominent it is in the species along with the reality that, unless you feel the bite, you're unlikely to be able to see any puncture.

We're not even allowed to handle our education bat unless we've had our rabies shots. (Although, I was allowed to pet him once - very, very against the rules.) And, Ozzie was born at the zoo and has been hand-raised since birth. We're pretty confident that he doesn't carry the virus, but we really can't be certain.

Smokeysmom's comfort

08-10-08, 04:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Dracula visits Venezuela"
LAST EDITED ON 08-10-08 AT 04:22 PM (EST)

Our bat researchers in the department back in grad school did have to get their shots.

In all their combined years of collecting bats they'd only ever had one turn up rabid and at least back then it was considered quite rare and they nor anyone they knew had ever actually brought back a rabid one. They had to get a booster even though no one was bit as they fed it and had contact with the saliva. (When I found bats in my bedroom they told me I had nothing to worry about, but it may also be the species we had vs what they were collecting in other areas). They seemed to think some of the regulations was much more about the fear of bats rather than the relative risk.

Around here I'd get the shots if I was collecting most any mammal in the wild like a raccoon or a fox. We've got quite the epidemic.

ETA: I can understand extra caution if they tend to be less likely to show symptoms. But at least back then (late 1980's) the % of bats with rabies in our area was much less than the % of most everything else that carries them. Things may have changed.

08-10-08, 04:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mysticwolf Click to send private message to mysticwolf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Dracula visits Venezuela"
We've made major strides against rabies in this country due to our vaccinating our dogs and cats, other places in the world aren't so fortunate. I really wish they'd step up the raccoon and fox vaccination program. I'd have loved to bait the raccoons in my area, but I couldn't even find a source for the vaccinated bait that a private individual could buy.

Smokeysmom's comfort

08-10-08, 04:45 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Dracula visits Venezuela"
From what I understand around here was considered rabies free for awhile.

Then someone decided the local raccoons weren't what they wanted to hunt and imported a bunch from somewhere that was having an epidemic (Florida maybe?) Since then we've had a fair number of rabid critters turn up every year and it doesn't seem to be slowing down any.

I dunno if we have any wildlife vaccination programs. They've been doing a lot of subsidized rabies vaccinations for pets, but it would be good if they went after it in the wild.

moonbaby 17120 desperate attention whore postings

08-10-08, 06:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail moonbaby Click to send private message to moonbaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "A bat named Ozzie?"
Wahahaha!

IceCat 17415 desperate attention whore postings

08-11-08, 00:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "Ozzie the Headless Bat"

He had a cousin by the name of Eric.

Eric the 'alf a Bee

moonbaby 17120 desperate attention whore postings

08-11-08, 08:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail moonbaby Click to send private message to moonbaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "tee hee hee!"

jbug 17146 desperate attention whore postings

08-10-08, 03:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Dracula visits Venezuela"
We have bats. Every evening when I walk Butch, I watch the bats flying all around the night security light. They're supposed to be good at keeping down the mosquito population I think.
I wonder where they 'hang' during the day.....

Snidget put me on the cover!

08-10-08, 04:19 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Dracula visits Venezuela"
They are very, very, good at keeping down the mosquito population. Some bats will eat 600+ mosquitoes an hour. During the day they will roost in trees, caves, attics, and barns, etc. Better yet, they will roost in bat boxes if you provide one for them. They're pretty easy to build, but here's a link to buy one if you prefer. I highly recommend them.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?articleid=1816

Smokeysmom's comfort

Prof_ Wagstaff 4196 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

08-10-08, 04:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Prof_%20Wagstaff Click to send private message to Prof_%20Wagstaff Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Dracula visits Venezuela"
Way cool! I'm ordering the "Bat"chelor Pad Condo.

Surfkitten Summer Sigshop 2008

jbug 17146 desperate attention whore postings

08-11-08, 08:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Dracula visits Venezuela"
We have some old fox dens right behind the house - they may be hanging there - or in the old barn that is no longer used.

I'm hoping my great nephew will build us a bat box in Scouts this year.

Snidget put me on the cover!

KeithFan 7422 desperate attention whore postings

08-10-08, 06:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KeithFan Click to send private message to KeithFan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Dracula visits Venezuela"
So are they really dead?

If a vampire creates another vampire, are they guilty of murder?

Someone will know.

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

08-10-08, 06:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Dracula visits Venezuela"
I do. But I'm not going to tell you because once someone starts along any path that involves thinking logically about vampire existence, they wind up in some very bad places.

Some very bad, very expensive places.

KeithFan 7422 desperate attention whore postings

08-11-08, 02:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KeithFan Click to send private message to KeithFan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Dracula visits Venezuela"
Are you the one that hid my silver bullets?

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

08-11-08, 02:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Dracula visits Venezuela"
Those are for werewolves, silly.

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

08-11-08, 00:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Dracula visits Venezuela"
From the article: "Homo sapiens is a pretty easy meal."

It's about here I'd expect to see AyaK's recycling trademark.

Ragtop Ride by foonermints

Yeah, I read this yesterday, and rabies is no fun. It sounds like preventative measures can be made feasible, though.

08-11-08, 02:36 AM (EST)
15. "RE: Dracula visits Venezuela"
LAST EDITED ON 08-11-08 AT 02:40 AM (EST)

It sounds like preventative measures can be made feasible, though.

Maybe. I hope so. All I know is that the cost of the initial vaccination shots and titre tests here would cost me ~$300. And, as with your dogs or cats, they don't last forever. You have to get boosters every 3 years.

If it's a matter of mosquito netting to keep them out at night it's a lot more cost effective. And, given that mosquitoes are the most dangerous animal in the world, that could help them with more than bats. Sort of surprising that at least that level of help hasn't already been made available.

Smokeysmom's comfort
Edit for premature entry. I still hate this keyboard.

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

08-11-08, 03:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Dracula visits Venezuela"
From the article:

Dr. Charles Rupprecht, chief of the rabies program at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, agreed with their preliminary diagnosis.

"The history and clinical signs are compatible with rabies," Rupprecht told The Associated Press on Friday. "Prevention is straightforward: Prevent bites and vaccinate those at risk of bites."

He doesn't say how to prevent bites or who pays for vaccinations or how much they cost. I can imagine that it'd be costly, and those who get bitten would go ahead and take a risk if they could not afford a vaccination.

From what I read in this article and elsewhere, the bats usually feed on sleeping people or animals. So, a preventative measure is to sleep indoors with doors and windows closed, or within some kind of enclosure (maybe mosquito netting?) within the dwelling if it is open.

Mosquitoes scare me. I contracted dengue in Malaysia and I'm at serious risk if I contract it again (not the same strain, but one of the other three strains, which go ultra-virulent with the original strain antibodies already in the body).

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •