The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Ugly American Syndrome"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

PlumBlossom 679 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

08-08-03, 11:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PlumBlossom Click to send private message to PlumBlossom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Ugly American Syndrome"
I just wanted to share a couple of my observations from last night’s show…

First of all, I was very embarrassed as Chip/Reichen exhibited the Ugly American Syndrome to the nth degree on the cab ride to the kite park in Korea. As Chip kept shouting at the driver that he should know English. Yelling (that always helps non-English speakers understand English) at him to go faster. Then making some hand gestures and saying that means “please”. I was saying, “Excuse me Chip, in what language does that gesture mean please?…Oh, I get it…it means please in Chreichen.” Then as he exited the cab he said something like I shouldn’t pay you because you can’t speak English. Since when in a non-English speaking country do you not have to pay for a cab ride you already had because the cabbie doesn’t speak a foreign language (i.e. English)? Then as he walks away from the cab he yells, “SPEAK ENGLISH”. I was yelling at my TV screen…”Chip, you are in Korea…SPEAK KOREAN!”

Anyway, I found myself ROFL later in the show when they hit the Roadblock.

Jon breezed through the tank to get the clue. As he went I could distinctly hear him saying, “Hey Joe, long time, no see…Fred, how are the wife and kids…Sorry, guys, I can’t stay and chat, I’m in a race…Yeah, Kelly is here, too…This is a Roadblock where only one person from the team can perform the task…She is just outside the tank.” The sharks all turned and waved at Kelly, who enthusiastically waved back. Then as Jon exited the tank he said, “Gotta go…We’ll get together later for drinks.”

Then along comes Reichen. He was scared to death and taking it very slow. I could just hear the sharks saying, “Hey, here is a tourist to have a little fun with” as they circled around him. Then one of the sharks began stalking him and yelling, “Hey guys, watch this…Doo doo…Doo doo…Doo doo…I think he is going to pee his pants.” Then Reichen panicked and pulled over, waving with his left hand for the shark to go on past. But wait, Reichen is under water. Here they don’t speak English!!! And, he is giving a sign that also has a meaning in Shark…”LUNCH!” Kelly, outside the tank, calmly says, “Reichen, dude, I wouldn’t do that.” (Or something like that.) Chip doesn’t get it. That is right, he only understands the English meaning. So, Kelly, who (who would have thunk? ) speaks perfect Shark, translates for Chip. Chip frantically tries to signal Reichen to stop making the sign. Kelly is glued to the scene, waiting to see if the shark will just nip a little, draw some blood, mangle the hand, sever the hand neatly through, or devour Reichen whole. The shark meantime yells, “Hey guys, watch this!” He starts for the hand. Chip becomes even more frantic. Reichen, not as fluent in Chrichen as Chip, is having trouble translating the gestures from Chip. At the last minute the shark swerves from the hand yelling “PSYCH!!” You can hear the laughter from all his friends rolling off the walls of the aquarium. Kelly, who knows the fun is over, goes to join Jon. Reichen, who has now not only peed his pants but also crapped his pants, finally understands what Chip is trying to tell him, pulls his hand back in, and continues on to retrieve the clue and slowly exit the tank. The under water citizens are laughing so hard, that they can’t mess with Reichen’s mind any more. However, I don’t know if you heard it, but as Reichen exited the tank, I distinctly heard one of the denizens of the deep yell, “SPEAK SHARK!”

Don’t know if those things struck anyone else, but thought I would share.

PlumBlossom

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Ugly American Syndrome dajaki 08-08-03 1
   RE: Ugly American Syndrome PlumBlossom 08-08-03 2
 RE: Ugly American Syndrome L82LIFE 08-08-03 3
 RE: Ugly American Syndrome mtopaz 08-08-03 4
 RE: Ugly American Syndrome Breezy 08-08-03 5
 RE: Ugly American Syndrome wesman 08-17-03 6
   RE: Ugly American Syndrome ScoutFinch 08-17-03 7

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

dajaki 1454 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

08-08-03, 11:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dajaki Click to send private message to dajaki Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Ugly American Syndrome"
Hee hee hee. Very funny! Hang around Plum and try to get on a summary schedule soon! Keep an eye on the Survivor Spoilers board for invites from the Blue People to sign up for a summary on the upcoming Survivor season.

PlumBlossom 679 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

08-08-03, 11:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PlumBlossom Click to send private message to PlumBlossom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Ugly American Syndrome"
I'll think about it. Glad you liked my comments. I just couldn't hold them in.

L82LIFE 5333 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-08-03, 12:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail L82LIFE Click to send private message to L82LIFE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Ugly American Syndrome"
That was funny stuff, Plum. Speak shark, LMAO! You should do a summary, you have the talent for one.

mtopaz 2167 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

08-08-03, 01:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mtopaz Click to send private message to mtopaz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Ugly American Syndrome"
LMAO! Speak Shark! Webster's has just updated their definition for "jerk" - it now features a picture of Chip.

MJ

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-08-03, 01:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Ugly American Syndrome"
Great comments! Yes I also cringed when Chip hollered "Speak
English".

*Breezy ... keeping OT satisfied since 2003*

wesman 2 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

08-17-03, 06:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail wesman Click to send private message to wesman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Ugly American Syndrome"
You think Ugly American Syndrom is Bad- visit California. It's Ugly Mexican Syndrom. Except here they demand, housing, healthcare, education (K-College) and can't speak a word of English!

ScoutFinch 3 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

08-17-03, 07:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ScoutFinch Click to send private message to ScoutFinch Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Ugly American Syndrome"
Yeah, I just love it when even those ugly Americans can't spell "Syndrome" correctly either--even when it's right on the same page!

Let's stick to the Amazing Race here and not personal prejudices that have nothing to do with it. (I'm all for continued Chip and Reichen bashing though!)

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •