The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Am Jr - A Licorice Allsorts of Talent "
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

spinningwords 96 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

08-02-03, 02:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail spinningwords Click to send private message to spinningwords Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Am Jr - A Licorice Allsorts of Talent "
LAST EDITED ON 08-02-03 AT 05:17 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 08-02-03 AT 03:46 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 08-02-03 AT 02:27 AM (EST)
NOTE: VERY LONG

Many of us are wondering who the final group member will or should be. Some think that Jordan might be the right pick but some think she doesn't have the power. Some think the group should be rounded out with another male. Others think that Chantel is a shoe-in and others think that her voice has too many problems in the low end. Those in the Dani camp will be extremely upset if she doesn't make it. And some performers are barely even noticed for reasons unknown. In truth, all have good talent or they would not be here.

It seems to me that the production started to go wrong when they started off by voting kids into the group starting off with #10 and like many have reitterated we have not heard from Tori and Taylor since they were voted in. Seems like kind of an upside down approach to me!

Wouldn't it have been great to watch individual AND group performances to see who performed best in BOTH?? And then let America vote performers on their total overall permances into the group rather than just ONCE performance? I'm not sure how this could have been done but I do believe the result would have been better. Something like a FAME thing....

It seems to me that America was trying to make American Juniors to be just like American Idol but a pint size version of it and forgot that they were voting kids into a GROUP rather than individual talents. What they now end up with could be rather interesting. As much of a fan as I am of Lucy Hale's work I'm very unsure of her as a group member and would have much rather seen her with a solo album. I can't help but think her powerful voice will overshadow the kids. I'm trying to think of Lucy with Chauncey, and country Tori and I just can't picture it.

I took the time this morning to download several of the songs that the kids sang both as a group and as solo performers. I remember that when I watched Taylor Thompson perform Proud Mary I thought she had the performance of the night and was pleased to see her get into the group but when listening her sing this morning on the actual recording, the piece had little playability and like Art had mentioned previously I doubt that on the Airwaves I would have ever played the song through. In fact had I had to vote on voice alone I would never have voted for Taylor but this was a vote not on just voice but on many factors; and emotion came into this as well. I don't think the producers or judges counted on the emotion factor and I'm beginning to wonder if it might be a good idea to add a sixth member to the group.

Many have mentioned the quality of Danielle's voice and I have not been able to get over her identity crisis and some bad song choices (good morning starshine) - however, identity crisis is common at her age group and I then also downloaded "Colors of the Wind" and my opinion of her voice completely changed. I still am not sure she is right for the group but I agree with the group here that she is one of the best. I hope that Dani continues to develop her voice but I also hope she does not make it into the group because I believe it could only hurt her and I don't believe it will be good for Lucy's talent either.

As far as the 2 boys go, I don't believe they have no talent as otherwise they would not be here but they have not been the stars of this group. I am not here to bash any kid. However, I also feel that it may be best to put another male into the group and of the two I think AJ would be the best. His voice may not have the "playability" that Art speaks of but he is able to carry the songs, would fit in a group setting and he DOES have a star aura. He did better this last week and I did agree with him being on the top 3 regardless simply because of this. I feel he'll just get better and that many of his problems are due to song choice. I really feel that many of these kids are suffering from poor song choice. Did you notice how bad Tori, Taylor and Chauncy sounded in their video? Again, probably bad song choice and maybe even the kids are not happy as alluded to by someone else.

One member of the group that has not received a lot of attention is Katelyn Tarver - even tho she has put in several excellent performances over the last 2-3 weeks. Everybody notices her as a model but has not noticed she can really perform well when given the right song to sing. The name of the song two weeks ago now escapes me but it was the week Chauncey was voted in and Glady's Knight said "Katelyn finally found Katelyn" as she sang and danced a very cute 60's near disco number, followed up last week with "On the Radio" Both were very energetic and in tune - perfect group material; and not bad for the occasional solo.

Finally, Lucy - The Blondie song did it for her and got her into the group. To be honest, I was elated, disappointed, and confused at the same time. America was apparently waiting to see if Lucy could do a rock tune and when she proved she could, voted her in immediately. Was this the right thing to do? I'm not so sure with this mix of kids. Listening to some of the group songs Lucy's voice clearly does not seem to mix (if I'm picking out her voice..) and I don't think we want it to either. I'd personally much rather hear Lucy go onto an immediate solo recording contract. I know that I'd buy her recordings.

Last week's line up was as I expected, Lucy, Chantel and AJ - Chantel and AJ DID give good performances. However, I had actually hoped that AJ would be voted in for the very reason Art has mentioned previously; playability. I believe AJ can bring playability to this group and possibly get them to work together. As I've said before I believe problems AJ has had have been poor song choice. He will get better and has had some decent showings. I personally liked his performance of STILL and thought he was cute in a teenage kind of way. Remember these ARE kids.

Given that, I still would hope that AJ gets in as the final group member as I believe that is the best chance of giving this group some balance. I also hope that the producers at least consider a sixth group member in the event that one of the members leaves (such as Lucy) for a solo career.

Any other comments on this?

Spinning in the AM

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Am Jr - A Licorice Allsorts of ... Artcurus 08-02-03 1

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Artcurus 42 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

08-02-03, 06:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Artcurus Click to send private message to Artcurus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Am Jr - A Licorice Allsorts of Talent "
Hi Spinning,

Wouldn't it have been great to watch individual AND group
] performances to see who performed best in BOTH?? And then let
] America vote performers on their total overall permances into
]the group rather than just ONCE performance? I'm not sure how
]this could have been done but I do believe the result would
]have been better. Something like a FAME thing....

EXACTLY. Let the performers go through the entire run, then make the voting decisions after.

I remember that when I watched Taylor Thompson perform Proud
]Mary I thought she had the performance of the night and was
]pleased to see her get into the group but when listening her
]sing this morning on the actual recording, the piece had little
] playability and like Art had mentioned previously I doubt that
] on the Airwaves I would have ever played the song through.

Youre dead on with this and I'm glad you caught on. When compared to the kids that have radio viability, you hear major differences in performances. Tori won this honor hands down, her sister, however, did not. I mentioned this in an earlier post. But does Taylor deserve to be in the group? H##$ Ya! (to quote Ginuwine it you havent guess I love hip hop (G))

I can't help but think her powerful voice will overshadow the
]kids. I'm trying to think of Lucy with Chauncey, and country
]Tori and I just can't picture it.

Exactly. WHich I something that the producers are going to learn when they try to mix this Trainwreck.

In the end, it's going to hurt. You really see this with Tori especially over the past couple of weeks. Aside from "Bringing the House Down", I get the distinct feeling that she is not happy with this.

However, I also feel that it may be best to put another male
] into the group and of the two I think AJ would be the best.
]His voice may not have the "playability" that Art speaks of but
] he is able to carry the songs, would fit in a group setting
]and he DOES have a star aura.

I agree with you, giving the choice between AJ or Morgan, it's AJ. This group NEEDS AJ as much I hate to admit it.

As for Sundown the video, maybe, but it was the first time I had anything resembling harmony. They did ok, but again, you mentioned song choice and this is another time where I dont think Tori cared for it too much. ON the other hand, Chauncey and Taylor were rocking.

Art
=============================================================
"Go shawty, it's your birthday..Ya find me in da club!" 50 Cent- In Da Club

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •