The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-21-08, 07:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
Normally I wouldn't ask for assistance when it came to killing anything, but this one's complicated. The little bastards are in my bedroom. Judging from the number of bites I collected, there's only a couple of them. I don't know how they got in: I'm guessing multiple open doorways throughout the building at just the wrong moment. (So much for the airlock method.)

The problem is twofold: I don't know where they're hiding in the bedroom -- and I will not use chemical sprays or bug bombs unless I'm willing to risk my life to take our theirs. Swatting is fine, but they're only coming out when I'm asleep.

They don't seem to be ranging throughout the apartment: I chanced sleeping in another room last night and collected no fresh bites. So there's a chance I can starve them to death -- but I have no idea how long it takes mosquitoes to die from lack of food.

So does anyone know any non-chemical ways (or at least non-toxic) to kill them? I am willing to take a few nights on a less hospitable surface to put them on a hunger strike: I cannot chance more visible bug bites, especially not when the things can take the better part of a week to completely go away. But I'm not willing to stay away from the mattress until the temperature dips low enough to throw all the windows open and freeze them out.

Advice appreciated.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Need help for mosquito-killing ... Max Headroom 04-21-08 1
   RE: Need help for mosquito-killing ... Estee 04-21-08 2
       RE: Need help for mosquito-killing ... Max Headroom 04-21-08 5
           RE: Need help for mosquito-killing ... Estee 04-21-08 6
               RE: Need help for mosquito-killing ... byoffer 04-21-08 9
                   RE: Need help for mosquito-killing ... Max Headroom 04-21-08 10
                   RE: Need help for mosquito-killing ... Estee 04-21-08 11
                       RE: Need help for mosquito-killing ... qwertypie 04-21-08 15
           RE: Need help for mosquito-killing ... syren 04-22-08 68
       RE: Need help for mosquito-killing ... aquariaqueen 04-21-08 21
 RE: Need help for mosquito-killing ... dragonflies 04-21-08 3
   RE: Need help for mosquito-killing ... Buggy 04-21-08 8
       RE: Need help for mosquito-killing ... dragonflies 04-21-08 13
           RE: Need help for mosquito-killing ... Buggy 04-21-08 14
               RE: Need help for mosquito-killing ... kingfish 04-21-08 20
   RE: Need help for mosquito-killing ... samboohoo 04-21-08 35
 RE: Need help for mosquito-killing ... kingfish 04-21-08 4
   RE: Need help for mosquito-killing ... mysticwolf 04-21-08 55
 RE: Need help for mosquito-killing ... Buggy 04-21-08 7
 RE: Need help for mosquito-killing ... Breezy 04-21-08 12
   RE: Need help for mosquito-killing ... Buggy 04-21-08 16
       RE: Need help for mosquito-killing ... qwertypie 04-21-08 18
           RE: Need help for mosquito-killing ... Max Headroom 04-21-08 42
               RE: Need help for mosquito-killing ... qwertypie 04-21-08 48
 Estee has cootees IceCat 04-21-08 17
   Just noting: Estee 04-21-08 19
       RUMORS! Buggy 04-21-08 22
       RE: Just noting: frisky 04-21-08 23
           RE: Just noting: Buggy 04-21-08 24
               RE: Just noting: frisky 04-21-08 28
                   RE: Just noting: Buggy 04-21-08 32
                       Food around the corner IceCat 04-21-08 46
                           Yes! Buggy 04-21-08 47
           RE: Just noting: Estee 04-21-08 26
               RE: Just noting: aquariaqueen 04-21-08 27
                   RE: Just noting: Estee 04-21-08 30
                       RE: Just noting: frisky 04-21-08 31
                           RE: Just noting: Buggy 04-21-08 33
                       RE: Just noting: aquariaqueen 04-21-08 34
                           RE: Just noting: Estee 04-21-08 36
               RE: Just noting: Buggy 04-21-08 29
                   RE: Just noting: Estee 04-21-08 50
 RE: Need help for mosquito-killing ... kingfish 04-21-08 25
   RE: Need help for mosquito-killing ... Ahtumbreez 04-21-08 39
   RE: Need help for mosquito-killing ... mrc 04-21-08 40
       RE: Need help for mosquito-killing ... Buggy 04-21-08 41
           RE: Need help for mosquito-killing ... kingfish 04-21-08 51
 RE: Need help for mosquito-killing ... byoffer 04-21-08 37
   RE: Need help for mosquito-killing ... dragonflies 04-21-08 38
 RE: Need help for mosquito-killing ... bullzeye 04-21-08 43
   RE: Need help for mosquito-killing ... qwertypie 04-21-08 49
   RE: Need help for mosquito-killing ... CutsyTootsy 04-21-08 54
       RE: Need help for mosquito-killing ... qwertypie 04-21-08 59
 This just in Buggy 04-21-08 44
   RE: This just in Max Headroom 04-21-08 45
 RE: Need help for mosquito-killing ... mysticwolf 04-21-08 52
 RE: Need help for mosquito-killing ... CutsyTootsy 04-21-08 53
 Important symptom questions IceCat 04-21-08 56
   RE: Important symptom questions Estee 04-21-08 57
       RE: Important symptom questions Buggy 04-21-08 58
 RE: Need help for mosquito-killing ... singer 04-21-08 60
 I blame you Estee jbug 04-22-08 61
   RE: I blame you Estee vince3 04-22-08 62
       RE: I blame you Estee jbug 04-22-08 63
           RE: I blame you Estee vince3 04-22-08 64
 RE: Need help for mosquito-killing ... blacknwhitedog 04-22-08 65
 Bawdy may have won. Estee 04-22-08 66
   RE: Bawdy may have won. Prof_ Wagstaff 04-22-08 71
 RE: Need help for mosquito-killing ... suzzee 04-22-08 67
 Giving new meaning to... dragonflies 04-22-08 69
 Here's what you do.... kingfish 04-22-08 70
   RE: Here's what you do.... jbug 04-22-08 72
   RE: Here's what you do.... mysticwolf 04-22-08 73
 RE: Need help for mosquito-killing ... kingfish 04-23-08 74

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Max Headroom 10069 desperate attention whore postings

04-21-08, 08:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
Do you have any evidence that the bites are coming from mosquitoes? Have you seen any of them around, or heard their annoying high-pitch whine in your ears?

Mosquitoes need stagnant pools of water to reproduce. It doesn't take much water for them to get by, so I'd look for that and eliminate it if you find it. If you eliminate breeding locations, the adults will die off within a couple of weeks.

Based on the nocturnal biting habits and lack of bites when sleeping in another room, something else could also be going on here. Have you traveled lately, to someplace with a warm climate? You might have brought back some hitchhiking bedbugs in your luggage.

04-21-08, 08:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
LAST EDITED ON 04-21-08 AT 08:21 AM (EST)

Stagnant pools of water are kind of hard to come by in an apartment, unless I've recently rinsed out a bottle and didn't manage to dump every last milliliter. (And if they need that little to breed, I'm in trouble.)

I did think of bedbugs, but I haven't really been ranging that far lately -- and I did bedding laundry on Saturday. (The mattress pad should probably go next.)

I've seen one very brief glimpse of a small winged black insect, but that was before the bites started -- and it wasn't long enough to solidly ID it as a mosquito. No audio cues to date.

04-21-08, 08:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
I hate to say it, but it's awfully early in the year to have a mosquito problem unless your weather has been a lot warmer than ours. And mosquitoes are very unsubtle in their approach-- they zoom up to you and bite away, regardless of the time of day or where you might be in your apartment.

Are your bites in a single part of your body, or all over? Localized bites could be indicative of a single ticked-off marauder such as a spider.

04-21-08, 08:42 AM (EST)
6. "RE: Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
Two areas. Inner surface of the left elbow with a couple nearby on the forearm, plus a pair on the upper right thigh.

byoffer 15947 desperate attention whore postings

04-21-08, 08:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
Max is right, mosquitoes are not stealth attackers. They also don't go under the covers, so if you are using any sort of bed linens and they are getting your legs then your problem isn't mosquitoes.

I's guess some sort of mite or a spider. Sorry, no suggestion on how to get rid of them, but the hunger strike sounds like a good idea.

04-21-08, 08:55 AM (EST)
10. "RE: Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
Bedbugs can go for a year without a blood meal. Let's hope Estee's problem is due to something else.

04-21-08, 09:01 AM (EST)
11. "RE: Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
The problem with the linen theory is that I do go through restless sleep bouts that turn me into a cover tosser, especially when the weather starts to warm up. Cocoon in the winter, frequently wind up with the blankets halfway onto the floor during the summer. I can't speak to the quality of coverage from one minute to the next.

But yeah -- it's starting to sound like mosquitoes may be moving off the suspect list.

qwertypie 9776 desperate attention whore postings

04-21-08, 09:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
And I hate to say it, but you don't have to be a traveller to get bedbugs. If you are in an apartment, you can get them if your neighbors have been travelling.

I really, really, really hope that's not the problem. I heard that if you put double sided sticky tape around the bedlegs and box spring, that might slow down any crawlies.

syren 5418 desperate attention whore postings

04-22-08, 08:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail syren Click to send private message to syren Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
68. "RE: Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
We have a huge nasty skeeter problem down here. They are everywhere.

Warcrack, it's not for kids.

aquariaqueen 2616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

04-21-08, 09:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail aquariaqueen Click to send private message to aquariaqueen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
Sink drains and the floors of showers and tubs suffice.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it" - Albert Einstein

dragonflies 8051 desperate attention whore postings

04-21-08, 08:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dragonflies Click to send private message to dragonflies Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
Put vanilla extract on your pulse points. This repels them. I've also heard that rubbing dish soap (like Dawn) on your skin repels them, or fabric softener sheets. You can tuck the sheet in a pocket for future use as well.

Burn a citronella candle or two. Of course PartyLite makes a nice smelling one.

I would say get a bat, but that could be messy.

who said we could be informal anyway? Thanks Agman!

Buggy 5089 desperate attention whore postings

04-21-08, 08:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Buggy Click to send private message to Buggy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
Flies, I didn't think you were supposed to use citronella candles inside, am I wrong about that? I know I could be wrong.

04-21-08, 09:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dragonflies Click to send private message to dragonflies Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
I hadn't heard that. Thanks Buggy.

04-21-08, 09:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Buggy Click to send private message to Buggy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
Well now I'm not sure, since you are in the candle business you would have heard if that was the case, so I'm thinking that it's not right.

kingfish 20752 desperate attention whore postings

04-21-08, 09:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
I've used mosquito coils indoors before, and been pleased with the results. But some people can't sleep with that smell. I imagine it's the same with citronella.

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings

04-21-08, 10:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
35. "RE: Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
The vanilla scent would probably attract Bravie. The good news is that she could be very useful in rubbing your bites with calomine lotion.

Sorry, I have no other help but am curious as to what others say. Whenever Conner gets a bite it swells up the size of a plum. We often use those "Off" wipes.

Tribe is pushing up my daisies!

04-21-08, 08:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
Yeah, if you don't hear the buzzing, like a high speed dentist drill, if it doesn't interfere with your going to sleep, it's likely not mosquitoes.

Beg bugs, or even small teensy spiders are a possibility. Spider bites tend to be a little more aggravating and longer lasting than mosquito bites. Beg bugs bites (I actually have been bed bug bitten) aren't as bad a those from mosquitoes, but they all differ from person to person, allergic reactions, I suppose.

My advice: Hit the Internet for solutions, but I think that for mosquitoes, do as Max suggests and wait for them to die. They won't live too long. As I understand it, they get one good gulp of blood, then look for a place to lay eggs, then they die.

Bedbugs: I hope there is a non-chemical solution, but I think you may have to spray the mattress, or replace it. Same with any form of spider or mite. Little spiders might be easier to find with a visual search, and a little shot or two of insecticide (could be all you need. I suppose you could get lucky and find it, and a relocation (or a heel squash) of the offending party would work.

mysticwolf 10692 desperate attention whore postings

04-21-08, 03:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mysticwolf Click to send private message to mysticwolf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
55. "RE: Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
As I understand it, they get one good gulp of blood, then look for a place to lay eggs, then they die.

Not quite. The female breeds once, gets a blood meal, lays the eggs, then goes looking for another blood meal. She doesn't need to breed again, but she can lay 3 separate batches of eggs from that initial breeding as long as she gets one blood meal per batch and finds standing water to lay the eggs in.

A smokeysmom
"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." - Baba Dioum

04-21-08, 08:44 AM (EST)
7. "RE: Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
You can try rubbing a fabric softener sheet on the exposed parts of you before going to bed. Sometimes the smell confuses them and they can't find you. My daughter rubs one on her legs before going outside in the evening, sometimes it helps.
They shouldn't be able to bite you through sheets and blankets, so if you are getting bit under the covers it is proably something else. Could there be a little spider in the bed?

No chemicals in the house, but what about spraying outside your door and maybe around the windows.
Citronella candles are good outside, but I don't think you are supposed to use them inside the house, so don't try that indoors.

I'll see what else I can find out for you.
And try dapping some white vinegar on the bites to help take the itch out of them and help them heal faster.

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings

04-21-08, 09:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
I killed a mosquito Saturday night. *grin*

That probably doesn't help, does it?

Breezy and Brett sitting in a tree...

04-21-08, 09:27 AM (EST)
16. "RE: Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
One less mosquito helps us all.
Just think Breezy, you may have eliminated West Nile virus.
Keep up the good work for the good of society!!

We've had the little blood suckers around here for a couple weeks, the only thing worse is fire ants

04-21-08, 09:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
DH would agree with you on the fire ant thing. *stifles giggle*

04-21-08, 12:29 PM (EST)
42. "RE: Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
You have fire ants in Alberta?? ::boggle::

04-21-08, 01:22 PM (EST)
48. "RE: Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
No, too damn cold.

When DH and I were long distance dating, we decided a good test of the relationship would be to go to South America for a month (nothing says I love you like surviving severe food poisoning together). Some of the time was spent in a lodge in north eastern Peru. On the first day hike, Mr. Qwerty laughed at me because I was wearing long pants tucked into long socks tucked into hiking boots. As he was taking pictures of he suddenly started swatting his head, neck, chest and realized he had been standing on an ant trail and they quickly went up one leg and beyond. He actually was lucky, fo some reason he didn't get bitten as badly as one would expect (of course he would beg to differ).

Of course I am positive I would have been much more sympathetic if he hadn't commented on my outfit before.

IceCat 17415 desperate attention whore postings

04-21-08, 09:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "Estee has cootees"

04-21-08, 09:33 AM (EST)
19. "Just noting:"
You're awfully smug on the other side of that protective ocean.

04-21-08, 09:41 AM (EST)
22. "RUMORS!"
Saying that Estee sleeps with Bugs is how rumors get started!

Sure she used to be hot, but have you seen those welts all over her now, ick!

frisky 11695 desperate attention whore postings

04-21-08, 09:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail frisky Click to send private message to frisky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Just noting:"
Just think of it as a huge pool of standing water.

Let's talk about the bites. Are they itchy or sore? Red? Raised?

Perpetual *headbutt* compliments of Rolly.

04-21-08, 09:45 AM (EST)
24. "RE: Just noting:"
Maybe she has fleas!

* looks suspiciously at Frisky and IceCat*

04-21-08, 10:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail frisky Click to send private message to frisky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Just noting:"
This is what I was thinking, but *my* fleas are perfectly happy where they are, TYVM.

04-21-08, 10:07 AM (EST)
32. "RE: Just noting:"
Of course they are!
For a flea your butt is the very best place to be.

I'm thinking of those happy little cartoon fleas, setting up a tent, humming a little tune, camping on your hiney.

04-21-08, 12:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
46. "Food around the corner"

Food around the corner
Food around the corner for meeeeeeeeee...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4YXVCoF8uU

04-21-08, 01:05 PM (EST)
47. "Yes!"
That's the one, and I even had that little tune in my had, just couldn't remember the words.

04-21-08, 09:58 AM (EST)
26. "RE: Just noting:"
Itchy and reddish, slightly raised unless they hit friction, in which case they go to more than slightly raised in a hurry. Icing brings them back down again and knocks out the itch for a while.

04-21-08, 10:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail aquariaqueen Click to send private message to aquariaqueen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Just noting:"
ARe the bumps in lines? Say 2 or 3 in a line?

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it" - Albert Einstein

04-21-08, 10:05 AM (EST)
30. "RE: Just noting:"
A couple of the arm ones are.

Why do I suspect we're about to hit a really nasty conclusion?

04-21-08, 10:07 AM (EST)
31. "RE: Just noting:"
*slowly backs away from Estee*

04-21-08, 10:10 AM (EST)
33. "RE: Just noting:"
Totally cuts down her hotness factor.

Which is a terrible thing for her job

04-21-08, 10:13 AM (EST)
34. "RE: Just noting:"
Do a search on scabies or body lice. I had scabies several years ago-got them from an infested baby. They present in lines.

04-21-08, 10:32 AM (EST)
36. "RE: Just noting:"
*checks pictures on Wikipedia*

I'm pretty sure that's not it: the affected area doesn't have that kind of presentation. But I might get the sulfur ointment as a just-in-case.

04-21-08, 10:04 AM (EST)
29. "RE: Just noting:"
Could it be some other kind of allergic reaction causing hives, or are you positive they are bites?

04-21-08, 01:56 PM (EST)
50. "RE: Just noting:"
Pretty positive on bites, as I woke up with them and I hadn't had any unusual foods or exposures the prior day.

I've been doing more reading on scabies: it looks like I've got the wrong location on one area. Unfortunately, the only real way to tell it from other bug bites in the early stages (especially since fountain pens are hard to come by) seems to be waiting a few days to see if the itching intensifies. Right now, I don't have very much at all. (It can pass for mosquito bites in the first stages. It can also potentially be picked up by brushing against someone's clothing. Whee!)

04-21-08, 09:51 AM (EST)
25. "RE: Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
LAST EDITED ON 04-21-08 AT 11:15 AM (EST)

Don't overlook the possibility of fleas. Even if you don't have pets, other carriers (including yourself) can introduce fleas into your house. Fleas on rodents can carry disease. And (esp if you have carpet) once fleas establish themselves, you (or a pro) have to bug bomb. There simply is no other way.

By now you've checked out the web sites with instructions on how to search for bedbugs etc. The chemical peddling sites are useful in that they can tell you what to look for, and show you the what the wounds typically look like. Ugh.

The more closely you read up on those things, the more they give you the willies. Apparently the male bed bug uses hypodermic genitalia to impregnate the female, he just punctures the abdomen and injects away. They (the males) also will hypo each other. And, a well fed bed bug will die sooner than a starved one, 6 mo for the former, up to 18 months for the latter.

Here's hoping you find a spider and squash it, and that's all it is.

EAT: After reading your wound description, I would focus on spider bites. If it is, healing will be slower than you would consider normal. Lines of bites are typical of chiggers and ticks (have you taken a walk in woods or thru a field recently?), clustered bites are typical of bedbugs, and one or two bites together are more typical of spiders. Fleas (in my experience) tend to get your calves and feet, and don't work you over too much at night.

Clean the liner, blankets, comforter, etc, and look under the bed, nightstand, window, etc. for little webs, & dust bunnies. Tip up the box-springs for a close look. I understand your objections to spraying, but a little puff or two of something with a less unpleasant than normal scent (or a maybe a deodorizing scent), under the bed and in the crevices of the box spring underside might cure the problem.

Ahtumbreez 10456 desperate attention whore postings

04-21-08, 12:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ahtumbreez Click to send private message to Ahtumbreez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
39. "RE: Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
Unless it's a major infestation of fleas you don't have to use chemicals. There are things called Flea Traps or you can make your own. It's simply a light with a pan of water under it. In a dark room the fleas jump towards the light (maybe they think it's Heaven) fall into the water and drown.

Agman took me to the islands

mrc 10113 desperate attention whore postings

04-21-08, 12:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mrc Click to send private message to mrc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
40. "RE: Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
I was going to suggest ticks, too.

04-21-08, 12:27 PM (EST)
41. "RE: Need help for mosquito-killing missin."

This thread was fun when we were talking about Estee having a couple of mosquito bites, now you people are just creeping me out.

04-21-08, 02:34 PM (EST)
51. "RE: Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
Then I won't even mention Nano-vampires.

byoffer 15947 desperate attention whore postings

04-21-08, 10:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
37. "RE: Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
Maybe something on this site will help you.

http://citybugs.tamu.edu/FastSheets/Ent-1012.html

This thread has officially given me the heebeejeebees.

04-21-08, 12:02 PM (EST)
38. "RE: Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
This thread has officially given me the heebeejeebees.

Me too. And the itches. No way I am opening up that link either.

Slice & Dice Sigpic Chop Shop 2005

bullzeye 5030 desperate attention whore postings

04-21-08, 12:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bullzeye Click to send private message to bullzeye Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
43. "RE: Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
Sounds like it could be bedbugs to me, and unfortunately, I have personal experience to draw from. I brought home the critters from a trip to the US last year and it wasn't long before we were all getting bitten. No solution except to take all your clothing. linens and bedding and blast them in a high heat dryer, and evactuate your premises for a two-cycle bomb. We also bought matress covers etc as additional precaution. There went close to $1000 but in the end, it was worth it.

Chiseled by Abman Agman!

04-21-08, 01:28 PM (EST)
49. "RE: Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
It was enough of a hassle when DS brought home head lice a few years back. I don't want to even imagine having to get rid of bed bugs. *SHUDDER*

CutsyTootsy 1795 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

04-21-08, 03:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CutsyTootsy Click to send private message to CutsyTootsy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
54. "RE: Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
*points down thread*

We had'em too. I get all itchy just thinking about those little creatures.

04-21-08, 04:40 PM (EST)
59. "RE: Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
Actually I think you had the BB the same time DS had the lice. I remember feeling very sorry for myself until I read your thread. Thanks for cheering me up!
*still itchy*

04-21-08, 12:33 PM (EST)
44. "This just in"
Four out of Five bloodsucking insects agree,

Estee is delicious

You all know this is the funnest thread of the day.

04-21-08, 12:49 PM (EST)
45. "RE: This just in"
*snort*

Well played.

04-21-08, 02:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mysticwolf Click to send private message to mysticwolf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
52. "RE: Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
LAST EDITED ON 04-21-08 AT 02:56 PM (EST)

Haven't read the replies, yet, so someone else has probably already said this... I'm thinking mosquitoes aren't your problem.

First, mosquitoes don't use blood as a food source. They feed on nectar. Blood is used by the females to incubate her eggs. Males don't bite. And, the mosquito you'd find around you is a permanent water type. They don't usually become an issue until later in summer, and they lay rafts of eggs - so you'd likely have many more than two, particularly since the eggs hatch in 1-3 days. Floodwater mosquitoes are the early spring type. They lay eggs singly a the edges of floodplains, but the eggs need to be covered by floodwaters to develop. You haven't had a major flood lately, have you? Besides, you say you're being bitten while you sleep. Females only search for blood meals for a few hours before and after dark.

Not mosquitoes. I'm thinking spiders or mites of some kind. Most likely spiders, because mites are going to cover you with little tiny bites, they're not going to leave one or two mosquito looking bites.

Wash the bedding in hot water. Vaccuum well, including possibly vaccuuming the matress and bedframe. Make sure you get into the corners. And, good luck. Hope you get 'em.

ETA: Once you've vaccuumed get the bag out of the apartment. The vaccuum is going to suck 'em up, it's not going to necessarily kill them. You don't want 'em crawling back out.

A smokeysmom
"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." - Baba Dioum

CutsyTootsy 1795 desperate attention whore postings

04-21-08, 03:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CutsyTootsy Click to send private message to CutsyTootsy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
53. "RE: Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
Ooh Estee- I sure hope it's not bedbugs. We had an infestation at our house almost 2 years ago and it was terrible! It starts slow and it was mostly in my dd's room (although they did spread a little). She would wake up with bites- usually in the same areas and they itched like crazy. If you discover it's bedbugs and need advice I will be glad to help- but I'm afraid there are chemicals involved in what it took to get rid of them and we had to get rid of her bed. I still have nightmares about those little buggers.

Great...now I'm all itchy.

04-21-08, 04:05 PM (EST)
56. "Important symptom questions"

Have you experienced any or all of the following?

Anger?

Bitterness?

04-21-08, 04:09 PM (EST)
57. "RE: Important symptom questions"
Apparently you've forgotten who you're talking to.

I know he's quoting something. I just don't know what.

04-21-08, 04:26 PM (EST)
58. "RE: Important symptom questions"
It made me laugh so hard I almost wet myself.

singer 1910 desperate attention whore postings

04-21-08, 05:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail singer Click to send private message to singer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
60. "RE: Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
Have you tried garlic tablets? The smell comes out of the skin and only the mosquitoes can smell it (Or so I'm told). That should keep 'em away.

You may also want to try citronella candles.

--Singer

jbug 17146 desperate attention whore postings

04-22-08, 04:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
61. "I blame you Estee"
OK, so I woke up this morning with 2 bites on the side of my lower right arm - AND 2 bites on the upper portion of my left 'backside'.

Everyone else just feels sympathy and gets itchy when they read this stuff. Me? I gotta get the real thing!

So, Estee, I may call you out behind the Bar Thursday night.

Every day is Spring with Agman

vince3 17341 desperate attention whore postings

04-22-08, 04:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail vince3 Click to send private message to vince3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
62. "RE: I blame you Estee"
*makes funeral arrangements for JBug.......*

04-22-08, 04:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
63. "RE: I blame you Estee"
No no no Vince. Being the bartender, I'm expecting you to slip something into her drink that will help me out me, kay??

Every day is Spring with Agman

vince3 17341 desperate attention whore postings

04-22-08, 04:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail vince3 Click to send private message to vince3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
64. "RE: I blame you Estee"
Uh-uh, no way. Then, I'd have to make my own funeral arrangements, as well............ I'm not ready yet.

blacknwhitedog 6532 desperate attention whore postings

04-22-08, 04:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail blacknwhitedog Click to send private message to blacknwhitedog Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
65. "RE: Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
Most likely fleas. Bedbugs would leave tiny brown specks of blood on your sheets/mattress. Wash all bedding in hot water. Whatever you can't wash- like pillows- place in a plastic bag and put in your freezer for a day to kill all critters.

Syren 2007

04-22-08, 05:13 PM (EST)
66. "Bawdy may have won."
Unless we've got a combination of culprits, the answer may be 'fleas': I killed one in my bathroom this morning. Don't ask me how it got in -- probably hitched a ride with someone, as this is supposed to be a no-pets building. Not that it stops anyone.

The bad news: that pretty much means I have to bomb -- I really, really doubt there was only one...

*sigh*

Anyone know any non-toxic flea killing solutions?

Prof_ Wagstaff 4196 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

04-22-08, 09:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Prof_%20Wagstaff Click to send private message to Prof_%20Wagstaff Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
71. "RE: Bawdy may have won."
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I don't think it's fleas. I didn't think it was skeeters either but by the time I had typed my post, fed my daughter breakfast, and was ready to send, a determination had already been made so I dumped my post into space.

Why don't I think you have fleas?

1) You have no pets. Where did they suddenly come from?
2) Fleas infest a whole area, not just your bed or bedroom. On people, they are mainly ankle biters. Most of your bites would be from the knees down and you would be just as likely to be bit watching TV as you would be in bed.

I still think that you have spiders or BBs.

If they are fleas and since you have no pets, they are likely to be coming from someone elses apartment. This means that you can bug bomb, kill the ones in your apartment and they will be back because homebase is elsewhere.

Sorry.

suzzee 5961 desperate attention whore postings

04-22-08, 08:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail suzzee Click to send private message to suzzee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
67. "RE: Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
I had fleas once, the place got infested so fast it was insane. I tried some less toxic sprays & bombs, didn't work. Finally had to rip out the carpeting and annihilate the little $@%#%'s with double the dose of bombs. Good luck and don't wait, they'll lunch on you for sure.

Spring outfit thanks to Sharnina

04-22-08, 08:16 PM (EST)
69. "Giving new meaning to..."
Swoop Block

04-22-08, 08:49 PM (EST)
70. "Here's what you do...."
..........You get these drops they sell in pet stores, and put a drop or two on the back of your neck, just a drop or two every week or so will keep the little beasts in check.

(you are going to kill Jbug first, right? I have time to make it to Mexico?)

If it's fleas, they could have come from a chance encounter with someones pet. But the source could also be rats/mice.

And if so, you have two extermination problems, because, as you've undoubtedly guessed, you can't get rid of the fleas until you get rid of the rats. If you have them.

Spring for a professional bug/rat killing estimate and survey. See if he/she finds rodent signs. If not, bomb your bed room and sleep on the couch until you can stand to sleep in the bedroom. Get them quick before the spread. Might be too late already. I hate fleas.

04-22-08, 10:11 PM (EST)
72. "RE: Here's what you do...."

You're next guppy.

04-22-08, 10:16 PM (EST)
73. "RE: Here's what you do...."
Still think it's far more likely that it's spiders or ants.

Fleas would be noticable outside the bedroom, and they'd be concentrated first in the carpets not in the bed. And, if they are in the bed? They're gonna be quite apparent and in those close quarters they'll do quite a bit more damage than just one or two bites. Not to mention that their bites are not going to be in any kind of straight bite pattern.

Not fleas. At a high of 11 dogs and 10 cats, I know fleas. They're not to blame here. No way.

04-23-08, 08:45 AM (EST)
74. "RE: Need help for mosquito-killing missin."
LAST EDITED ON 04-23-08 AT 08:45 AM (EST)

Since this is a killing mission, I thought I'd add one more thing.

If it was a flea, and it wasn't carrying eggs, you might have eliminated the problem already.

I've visited the flea bitten house cats of my parents, and occasionally had to pick one or two errant and unlucky fleas off of me later, and had that be the end of the problem.

To find them, you let them be for a day, let them digest the last meal and get hungry again, then walk thru your bedroom with legs exposed, and they will jump on you. And you can kill them. Dead.

The flea trap is probably an as good or better solution.

Wikipedia list a few methods, including this;

"A spot-on insecticide, such as Advantage, Frontline or Revolution will kill the fleas on the pet and in turn the pet itself will be a roving flea trap and mop up newly hatched fleas."

I think spot-on insecticides are the drops on the back of the pet? If so, the idea that you can borrow a cat, put this on it, and let the fleas commit suicide is appealing to me.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •