The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Episode 6: The Power of One"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

sweetpea 223 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

10-08-02, 09:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail sweetpea Click to send private message to sweetpea Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Episode 6: The Power of One"
Thanks to Scott as usual.

Could this be the merge?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Episode 6: The Power of One Krautboy 10-08-02 1
   RE: Episode 6: The Power of One GuessItRains 10-08-02 2
       RE: Episode 6: The Power of One ShowMeTheWinner 10-08-02 5
       RE: Episode 6: The Power of One ulalame 10-08-02 7
 RE: Episode 6: The Power of One dabo 10-08-02 3
 RE: Episode 6: The Power of One Krautboy 10-08-02 4
   RE: Episode 6: The Power of One SurvivinDawg 10-10-02 12
 RE: Episode 6: The Power of One jkokoj 10-08-02 6
 RE: Episode 6: The Power of One samboohoo 10-09-02 8
   RE: Purple Rock dabo 10-09-02 9
 RE: Episode 6: The Power of One FesterFan1 10-09-02 10
   RE: Episode 6: The Power of One fivestarwheezy 10-09-02 11
       RE: Jake being injured SurvivaBear 10-10-02 16
           RE: Jake being injured fivestarwheezy 10-10-02 17
 RE: Episode 6: The Power of One Bebo 10-10-02 13
 RE: Episode 6: The Power of One Devious Weasel 10-10-02 14
 The Power of Ted??? cowboyroo 10-10-02 15
   RE: The Power of Ted??? StarvingButStrong 10-10-02 18
       RE: The Power of One managerr 10-11-02 19
 People Magazine Preview samboohoo 10-13-02 20
 RE: Episode 6: The Power of One Yogi 10-15-02 21
   RE: Episode 6: The Power of One mistofleas 10-15-02 22
   RE: Episode 6: The Power of One GTmike 10-15-02 23
 Rethinking the episode title ulalame 10-19-02 24
 RE: Episode 6: The Power of One FesterFan1 10-20-02 25
   RE: Episode 6: The Power of One GreyhoundGirl 10-20-02 26
       RE: Episode 6: The Power of One Drive My Car 10-20-02 27
 RE: Episode 6: The Power of One fivestarwheezy 10-20-02 28

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Krautboy 2750 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

10-08-02, 09:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Krautboy Click to send private message to Krautboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Episode 6: The Power of One"
...or the power of one team united...Chauy Gahn without Ghandia?

Krautboy

GuessItRains 700 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

10-08-02, 10:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail GuessItRains Click to send private message to GuessItRains Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Episode 6: The Power of One"
Perhaps Krautboy...but in that case I would think Ghandia should go in E5 with a Sookie going this week.

I'd lean more towards no switch and an early merge. It would be a twist in the game that shakes thing up. One problem is that if Ghandia goes in either of the next two weeks the Chewies would be down 6-5 at an early merge and seemingly doubtful to all fulfill their weight loss spoilers. But that may be exactly what the "power" means: a united Chewie votes as a bloc with a single angered member of Sookie (Steph? Robb?) and takes control of the game.

ShowMeTheWinner 962 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

10-08-02, 02:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ShowMeTheWinner Click to send private message to ShowMeTheWinner Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Episode 6: The Power of One"
I'd lean more towards no switch and an early merge.
I feel quite strongly enough about this for the same reasons so I'd just like to second that.

Kathy O'Brien... The Sole Survivor! (I'd rather be delusional)

ulalame 778 desperate attention whore postings

10-08-02, 05:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ulalame Click to send private message to ulalame Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Episode 6: The Power of One"
I posted this the other day in another thread, speculating that the early merge might be what is referred to in the "Ocean's Suprise episode." This would satisfy several of the Ghandia spoilers (assuming G-Diva is still around in E5) without her having to make it much farther in the game. It would also mean that a Sookie goes this week, leaving the tribes at a 6-6 tie; they go to an early merge in E5, with the tribes even. At T/C in E5, In a tie breaker (or in a calculated attempt by the CGs to rid themselves of her with a secret ally from the SJs), Ghandia goes. This would account for her bitterness--i.e. her tribe turns on her when if they'd hung together, perhaps a Sookie would've been taken out instead. Then, in E6, the "power of one" is the one SJ that teams up with the CGs to start the pagonging of his/her own tribe.

Very interesting.

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

10-08-02, 10:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Episode 6: The Power of One"
Early merge actually makes a lot of sense if there is no swap and Sook Jai continues starving. Sook Jai would probably still have a numerical advantage, but the Borans were dumb enough to whittle their numerical advantage down to parity in Africa, so anything is possible. This is a possibility worth keeping open for the time being, thanks for bringing it up.

ARRRRRRR!!!!

Krautboy 2750 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

10-08-02, 10:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Krautboy Click to send private message to Krautboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Episode 6: The Power of One"
...or the power of one swing vote...Brian between Helen/Jan and Ted/Clay

Krautboy

SurvivinDawg 6816 desperate attention whore postings

10-10-02, 07:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivinDawg Click to send private message to SurvivinDawg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Episode 6: The Power of One"
I'm beginning to like this idea, krautboy.

Let's say Ghandia goes in Ep.4... Then SJ throws another challenge and drops Steph or Robb. The numbers are then 6-5.

CG loses again, and there is a decision to be made... Brian's. Hence, the power of one.

I also gave thought to an early merge, but as of right now there is insufficient data to work with.

27-25
Contradictions don't exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

jkokoj 4389 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

10-08-02, 03:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jkokoj Click to send private message to jkokoj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Episode 6: The Power of One"
No spoiling just wanted to add that I do not think there will be a switch but a possible early merge. Expect the unexpected!

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings

10-09-02, 10:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Episode 6: The Power of One"
I'm one of those who believe there will be no switch this time, so I'm thinking there could be an early merge . . . or

could it be the power of one little purple rock in a bag with a bunch of yellow rocks that decides a tiebreaker?

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

10-09-02, 10:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Purple Rock"
ARRRRRRR!!!!

FesterFan1 5947 desperate attention whore postings

10-09-02, 02:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FesterFan1 Click to send private message to FesterFan1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Episode 6: The Power of One"
I really don't think this is referring to the merge. The title is "The Power of One". I'm not sure how much power there is in a merge. After all, at that point everyone starts to feel vulnerable.

I think what this title alludes to is 1 vote. Going into E6, the tribes will be 6-5 (or 7-4, but I highly doubt that), so that 1 vote could either be a swing vote (for the tribe w/ 5) or more likely a tie-breaking vote (for the tribe w/ 6). Everyone's seen Jiffy's magic bag, and whether or not it gets used this season, I think the possibility of it is bound to give at least one person the willies.

It's very likely that SJ will be the tribe w/ 6 going into that episode, and it's the tribe that seems to have the loosest alliances. If they wind up going to TC, it would not be unheard of for someone to break ranks and change their vote. Especially when we may be talking about two two-person alliances and two wildcards.

Fester

fivestarwheezy 958 desperate attention whore postings

10-09-02, 07:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail fivestarwheezy Click to send private message to fivestarwheezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Episode 6: The Power of One"
Hi. I'm new.

I'm wondering if the title 'the Power of One' could relate to the spoiler that somebody gets injured by a stingray in E5, and the speculation that that person gets voted off because of injury, a la Michael in S2.

What, say, if that injured person is somebody like Jake, who has been the strong leader of SJ? It seems to me he has a lot of power, and if he's injured in E5, and gone in E6, the rest of the tribe realizes 'whoa, dude, now what?' The Power of One who is no longer with us changes everything. Just a thought. I realize many people think Jake makes it pretty far...maybe it's somebody else.

SurvivaBear 2634 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

10-10-02, 05:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivaBear Click to send private message to SurvivaBear Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Jake being injured"
This is pretty speculative stuff, but it would explain both how Ghandia knew Jake was straight and how SJ meets thier demise. Instead of this season being a S3 redo, it turns into a S2 redo. Oh well, it is kinda fun to think about.

If it turns out that you are right 5*wheezy, you will be the newest guru of SB.

Beware the Bear! An IceCat Original, © 2002

10-10-02, 05:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail fivestarwheezy Click to send private message to fivestarwheezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Jake being injured"
And if I'm wrong, I suck as usual

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

10-10-02, 10:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Episode 6: The Power of One"
If Ghandia somehow manages to survive the next 2 Eps, then the title could refer to her. She is the one in a 5-1 split. She gave us that quote about the power of her cleavage. And she made a power move trying to get the tribe to go against Ted.

The title does not have to refer to a successful wielding of power.

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings

10-10-02, 03:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Devious%20Weasel Click to send private message to Devious%20Weasel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Episode 6: The Power of One"
Nothing but pure wild-ass speculation, but wouldn't it be kind of cool if one person was selected from each tribe to represent the entire tribe at either RC or IC? If the power of one is what CG or SJ are relying on to get the reward or avoid TC? And can I get anymore acronyms in there?

cowboyroo 590 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

10-10-02, 03:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cowboyroo Click to send private message to cowboyroo Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "The Power of Ted???"
With the early boot speculation and Ghandia going this week most likely combined with the other CG weight loss spoilers, it looks like Sook-Jai most likely goes to TC the next two weeks in a row. Being that Stephanie and Robb have been eyed as early boots before the show even started and they are the outcasts of Sook-Jai, could the Power of One have to do with a strength challenge that is won solely by the power of one survivor. With power as the attribute, I'd have to go with Ted....

StarvingButStrong 74 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

10-10-02, 06:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail StarvingButStrong Click to send private message to StarvingButStrong Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: The Power of Ted???"
could the Power of One have to do with a strength challenge that is won solely by the power of one survivor. With power as the attribute, I'd have to go with Ted....

I *like* that idea. Maybe a challenge similar to the one where a single member had to support all those water buckets. Let's see, it would likely be Ted vs. Ken.

managerr 1959 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

10-11-02, 11:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail managerr Click to send private message to managerr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: The Power of One"
If next week is the "Individual choice swap" like others have speculated, my guess would be is that only one individual chooses to switch sides and the focus is on the new tribe dynamics that one person brings. If say, Stephanie were to defect, that could be huge for Chuay Guan. (Or worse, if someone like Ted were to bail for Sook Jai it could be devastating for that tribe's morale)

Kind of like "The Underdogs" in S4, which focused on the post split dynamics of the tribes.

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings

10-13-02, 03:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "People Magazine Preview"
This is from the October 21, 2002, issue of People Magazine, Page 35 (Picks & Pans -- Week at a Glance):

Thursday, October 24, Survivor Thailand: "The offer of a feast gets the tribes' juices flowing for the reward challenge."

Main thing that sticks out is that we're still talking about 2 tribes, so it doesn't look like we have a merge -- yet.

Yogi 1206 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

10-15-02, 01:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Yogi Click to send private message to Yogi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Episode 6: The Power of One"
From Survivorfever.net

"Tempers flair during a reward challenge in which the prize is a Thai Feast. Also, one tribe becomes concerned about a teammate after the person exhibits bizarre behavior. Source: TV Guide "

mistofleas 8043 desperate attention whore postings

10-15-02, 01:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mistofleas Click to send private message to mistofleas Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Episode 6: The Power of One"
Pure speculation ahead...beware!

"Tempers flair during a reward challenge in which the prize is a Thai Feast"
So maybe ONE person is trying to dictate how the tribe (whichever it is) is going to win the Thai Feast.

Also, one tribe becomes concerned about a teammate after the person exhibits bizarre behavior.

Could be that someone (and I wouldn't dare to speculate which tribe) is being more "overt" in his/her opinons than usual making them wonder about his/her ability to play the game. OR

The bizzare behavior is a persona in a "supposed" strong alliance opting to switch tribes and then having to actually stay on that team.

--realizes she far flung in her thinking but wants to go for it anyway

GTmike 1255 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

10-15-02, 02:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail GTmike Click to send private message to GTmike Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Episode 6: The Power of One"
Bizzare behavior??? How about CG gets to see Stephanie isolate herself worse than Helen.

Bizzare behavior is probably someone talks in their sleep or when they sleep they stop breathing for a while and then start breathing again. I am not saying that these are the possible options, but rather that the bizzare behavior is probably not a big deal.

ulalame 778 desperate attention whore postings

10-19-02, 07:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ulalame Click to send private message to ulalame Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "Rethinking the episode title"
Now that we know there was no switch in E5, what could the "Power of One" mean? I've been lying awake nights trying to figure this one out.

My thoughts: could there possibly be a merge in E6? It works with the title, i.e. now their playing for individual immunity, and one person has the power to "even things out." This would also work with the theory that Shii Ann switches tribal alliances -- If they go into the merge at 6-5, logic would dictate that she'd stick with the stronger team numerically, but she hates them, and what would she have to lose going from 5th or 6th place in the Sookie alliance, to 6th in the Chewies, and she might even do better with the Chewies, who are more internally divided than the Sook Jay 4. The only thing militating against this, is the fact that the previews have made no mention of anything unusual happening this episode, and you'd think EMP would being hyping it to death if it were going to happen.

Otherwise, the "power of one" seems to make little sense with the previews, unless one person does exceptionally well in one of the challenges, leading to his or her team winning. It could also be a set-up of Shii as the "despondent underdog," for if the Sookies lose again and Robb is booted, and assuming she is not in tight with the Sook Jai 4, she would be the only outsider left in the tribe. What "power" would this give her, though?

Maybe the title is as lame and irrelevant as Helen saving the boys from their swimming escapade?

Any other thoughts on this? Usually the episode title holds some clue to what's going to happen in the episode, even if it's as dumb as the "Ocean's Surprise" being a stingray and a lost boat.

FesterFan1 5947 desperate attention whore postings

10-20-02, 01:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail FesterFan1 Click to send private message to FesterFan1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Episode 6: The Power of One"
Now that we have some more perspective on what may lie ahead in E6, I've changed my tune on what "The Power of One" is likely to mean. Initially, I thought it sounded like a swing vote, but I honestly can't come up with a reasonable scenario where a swing vote is likely to come into play. Jan is the clear choice for CG, and Robb for SJ. Despite what we've been shown about Shii Ann being disliked, they aren't going to turn on her before Robb. That plan was set in motion before E3.

I really don't think we're talking about a merge. We've been shown footage of what looks like the RC where there are still 2 tribes. Of course it's always possible that when they gather for the IC, they could be informed that the tribes are merging and the IC is an individual one, but I really doubt that will happen. I really think the night footage of SJ is them returning, dejected, from the IC.

So what does the title mean? We know that MB loves his double meanings. We've already had "The Importance of Being E...est", "Family Values" (which dealt not only with Ghandia and Ted, but also with the Food Alliance v. the Shelter Alliance in SJ), and "The Ocean's Surprise" (in which the ocean had a "surprise", albeit a lame one, for both tribes--Robb with his run-in with the ray and Ted losing the boat).

"The Power of One", IMO, could very likely refer to the "power" of one IC just before the merge. If CG loses, they're dead meat. If they win, it's a brand new ball game (that may included tinted rocks in the very near future). On the other side, we have Robb. Robb knows he's next. You can bet he's gonna fight tooth and nail (a la Robfaddah in S4) to make the merge. However, only one of these fates can be realized. In his attempt to be dramatic, I'm sure MB, et al., will emphasize this last IC as much as they can.

Fester

GreyhoundGirl 10 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

10-20-02, 10:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail GreyhoundGirl Click to send private message to GreyhoundGirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Episode 6: The Power of One"
A long-time lurker makes her first DAW post...

And it's a humble one. Fester, I agree that a merge seems unlikely for Episode 6. MB knows that merging with uneven tribes would be the surest route to an even longer and more boring Pagonging than those we've seen in the past. Sure, we might speculate that Shii or Dood would jump, but if oneof them did it would STILL be 6-5, just with different players. The majority would become an overwhelming force of 6-4 next ep, making an interesting comeback that much more difficult for the minority to orchestrate. YAWN!

Instead, I'm guessing that "Power of One" is something goofy/insignificant in that classic "Oh, MB, you silly producer boy, you!" mode we know and loathe. How about...

--The power of one really lucky dumba$$ swimmer to sidestroke right into the missing boat?

--The power of one tasty egg to save the life of a humble chicken?

--The power of one pair of fuzzy bunny slippers to warm the feet of cold-blooded conniver Penny?

Okay, maybe not...My final, semi-sincere guess: The power of one really good meal (RC Thai feast) to pull together a hungry, squabbling tribe (CG) just in time to win the most crucial IC of the game?

Drive My Car 20045 desperate attention whore postings

10-20-02, 10:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Drive%20My%20Car Click to send private message to Drive%20My%20Car Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Episode 6: The Power of One"
Welcome GreyhoundGirl, nice to have you with us.

10-20-02, 09:52 PM (EST)
28. "RE: Episode 6: The Power of One"
If the vidcap/photos in the dark of SJ walking dejectedly home after IC, as it is mentioned in another thread, then it appears that there was no merge. That is, if the RC took place before the IC per usual...but we are STILL waiting for MB/JP to 'shake things up a bit'. Even so, if RC happened 2nd in this episode, I can't see a merge happening because of the feast that awaits one tribe only.

I think no merge at this time.

Wheezer

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •