The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Sharia law in UK is unavoidable"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

mrc 10113 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-07-08, 11:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mrc Click to send private message to mrc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Sharia law in UK is unavoidable"
The Archbishop of Canterbury says the adoption of certain aspects of Sharia law in the UK "seems unavoidable".

Dr Rowan Williams told Radio 4's World at One that the UK has to "face up to the fact" that some of its citizens do not relate to the British legal system.

Dr Williams argues that adopting parts of Islamic Sharia law would help maintain social cohesion.

For example, Muslims could choose to have marital disputes or financial matters dealt with in a Sharia court.

He says Muslims should not have to choose between "the stark alternatives of cultural loyalty or state loyalty".

In an exclusive interview with BBC correspondent Christopher Landau, ahead of a lecture to lawyers in London later on Monday, Dr Williams argues this relies on Sharia law being better understood. At the moment, he says "sensational reporting of opinion polls" clouds the issue.

He stresses that "nobody in their right mind would want to see in this country the kind of inhumanity that's sometimes been associated with the practice of the law in some Islamic states; the extreme punishments, the attitudes to women as well".

But Dr Williams says the argument that "there's one law for everybody... I think that's a bit of a danger".

"There's a place for finding what would be a constructive accommodation with some aspects of Muslim law, as we already do with some other aspects of religious law."

Dr Williams adds: "What we don't want either, is I think, a stand-off, where the law squares up to people's religious consciences."

"We don't either want a situation where, because there's no way of legally monitoring what communities do... people do what they like in private in such a way that that becomes another way of intensifying oppression inside a community."

Multiculturalism 'divisive'

His comments are likely to fuel the debate over multiculturalism in the UK.

Last month, one of Dr William's colleagues, the Bishop of Rochester, said that non-Muslims may find it hard to live or work in some areas of the UK.

The Right Reverend Dr Michael Nazir-Ali said there was "hostility" in some areas and described the government's multicultural policies as divisive.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7232661.stm

Slice & Dice Chop Shop 2004

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Sharia law in UK is unavoidable zipperhead 02-07-08 1
   RE: Sharia law in UK is unavoidable AyaK 02-07-08 2
       RE: Sharia law in UK is unavoidable zipperhead 02-07-08 3
 RE: Sharia law in UK is unavoidable Ahtumbreez 02-07-08 4

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

zipperhead 3442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

02-07-08, 11:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail zipperhead Click to send private message to zipperhead Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Sharia law in UK is unavoidable"
LAST EDITED ON 02-07-08 AT 11:28 AM (EST)

Dr. Williams is another example of the fact that being well-educated does not mean you are wise.

From what I have read about it, there are certain aspects of Sharia law which are simply inhumane. They should not be tolerated in a civil society.

And if people want to agitate to get their way? They should be judged by civil law.

I wonder - does Britain have eminent domain-type laws? If they do, then they should bulldoze the headquarters of the most radical members of these enclaves and put up Victoria Secret shops.

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings

02-07-08, 11:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Sharia law in UK is unavoidable"
To put this in perspective,

Dr. Rowan Williams to target pro-gay bishops

Rowan Williams is the one forcing a showdown over the fact that U.S. Episcopalian churches refuse to enforce his anti-gay edicts. As you can see, his approach is to deny the legitimacy of the U.S. church's decisions, as if he were the Pope -- although he doesn't have such power.

I think he LIKES sharia.

zipperhead 3442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

02-07-08, 11:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail zipperhead Click to send private message to zipperhead Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Sharia law in UK is unavoidable"
LAST EDITED ON 02-07-08 AT 11:42 AM (EST)

I see - he wants another religion to have exceptions to the law because then his church can appply for exceptions.

Sneaky bastard.

etfix stuff

Ahtumbreez 10456 desperate attention whore postings

02-07-08, 11:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Ahtumbreez Click to send private message to Ahtumbreez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Sharia law in UK is unavoidable"
Idiot.

Agman took me to the islands

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •