The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Who will be flying United now?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

HobbsofMI 16065 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-05-08, 10:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail HobbsofMI Click to send private message to HobbsofMI Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
"Who will be flying United now?"
Spirit Airlines already does this and so we have not even checked to fly them since they started charging for checked bags. They only charge $5 per bag. Now United wants to charge $25 for a second checked bag. Now with all the carry on rules the last trip I took to Costa Rica I had to pack a second bag because of all the stuff I could not carry in my carry on now. I did have a smaller lighter carry on but if I go to China for more than a week I get penalized. Now they say this only will happen to about 15% to 20% of those who fly with them and it's due to added fuel cost. Why only charge those with extra bags and not everyone? What happens if United is your hub airline?? You are so screwed like I would be if Northworst did this. The airlines just keep taking and taking....I'm sorry but give me all the services and a true price and then I'll buy a ticket is almost where I'm at.

United Fliers will have to pay to check a second bag

Save Peter and Hiro, Save Heroes
sig by Pepe and bouncy by IceCat

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Who will be flying United now? brvnkrz 02-05-08 1
   RE: Who will be flying United now? HobbsofMI 02-05-08 5
   RE: Who will be flying United now? greenmonstah 02-05-08 45
       RE: Who will be flying United now? brvnkrz 02-05-08 52
           RE: Who will be flying United now? HobbsofMI 02-05-08 53
 RE: Who will be flying United now? aquariaqueen 02-05-08 2
 RE: Who will be flying United now? Ahtumbreez 02-05-08 3
 RE: Who will be flying United now? bullzeye 02-05-08 4
   RE: Who will be flying United now? HobbsofMI 02-05-08 7
       RE: Who will be flying United now? bullzeye 02-05-08 10
           RE: Who will be flying United now? HobbsofMI 02-05-08 12
               RE: Who will be flying United now? bullzeye 02-05-08 21
                   RE: Who will be flying United now? frodis 02-05-08 28
                       RE: Who will be flying United now? bullzeye 02-05-08 30
               RE: Who will be flying United now? miamicatt 02-05-08 26
                   RE: Who will be flying United now? HobbsofMI 02-05-08 27
   RE: Who will be flying United now? miamicatt 02-05-08 25
       RE: Who will be flying United now? HobbsofMI 02-05-08 29
           RE: Who will be flying United now? miamicatt 02-05-08 42
               RE: Who will be flying United now? HobbsofMI 02-05-08 47
               RE: Who will be flying United now? jbug 02-05-08 54
 RE: Who will be flying United now? cahaya 02-05-08 6
   RE: Who will be flying United now? HobbsofMI 02-05-08 8
       RE: Who will be flying United now? cahaya 02-05-08 31
           RE: Who will be flying United now? HobbsofMI 02-05-08 40
   RE: Who will be flying United now? Max Headroom 02-05-08 35
       RE: Who will be flying United now? HobbsofMI 02-05-08 39
 RE: Who will be flying United now? dabo 02-05-08 9
   RE: Who will be flying United now? frodis 02-05-08 14
 RE: Who will be flying United now? frodis 02-05-08 11
   RE: Who will be flying United now? HobbsofMI 02-05-08 13
       RE: Who will be flying United now? frodis 02-05-08 17
           RE: Who will be flying United now? HobbsofMI 02-05-08 20
               RE: Who will be flying United now? frodis 02-05-08 23
               RE: Who will be flying United now? weltek 02-05-08 46
                   RE: Who will be flying United now? bullzeye 02-05-08 51
 RE: Who will be flying United now? ginger 02-05-08 15
   RE: Who will be flying United now? HobbsofMI 02-05-08 16
       RE: Who will be flying United now? Karchita 02-06-08 59
 RE: Who will be flying United now? jbug 02-05-08 18
 RE: Who will be flying United now? kingfish 02-05-08 19
   RE: Who will be flying United now? HobbsofMI 02-05-08 22
 RE: Who will be flying United now? Colonel Zoidberg 02-05-08 24
 RE: Who will be flying United now? DebCapsFan 02-05-08 32
 RE: Who will be flying United now? mrc 02-05-08 33
   RE: Who will be flying United now? cahaya 02-05-08 34
 RE: Who will be flying United now? MTW1961 02-05-08 36
   RE: Who will be flying United now? miamicatt 02-05-08 38
 RE: Who will be flying United now? Max Headroom 02-05-08 37
 The easy solution... byoffer 02-05-08 41
   RE: The easy solution... vince3 02-05-08 44
       RE: The easy solution... Estee 02-05-08 48
       RE: The easy solution... byoffer 02-05-08 50
 RE: Who will be flying United now? greenmonstah 02-05-08 43
   RE: Who will be flying United now? Estee 02-05-08 49
       RE: Who will be flying United now? qwertypie 02-06-08 55
           RE: Who will be flying United now? HobbsofMI 02-06-08 57
               RE: Who will be flying United now? kingfish 02-06-08 58
 RE: Who will be flying United now? qwertypie 02-06-08 56

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

brvnkrz 20491 desperate attention whore postings

02-05-08, 10:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
I just heard this on the radio. They also said that each bag over the 2nd will be $100 per bag over two bags.
Luckily I am pretty good about getting it all into one large check on bag and a carry on. But yikes, that is quite a gouge for those who need more than one bag for travel.

An Arkie original.

02-05-08, 11:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail HobbsofMI Click to send private message to HobbsofMI Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
But remember is you over stuff and it's more than 50 lbs., I think, the extra charge for that is $50 and if it's more than 75 lbs it's $100.

greenmonstah 10761 desperate attention whore postings

02-05-08, 02:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail greenmonstah Click to send private message to greenmonstah Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
45. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
Dude. What do *you* possibly need beyond your flannel shirts and flip flops?

brvnkrz 20491 desperate attention whore postings

02-05-08, 04:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
52. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
Dude, I totally travel with way more than just one pair of flips flops. Hello!!!

An Arkie original.

02-05-08, 07:47 PM (EST)
53. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
I thought you had a invisible jet? So what would you care how many bags you took.....

aquariaqueen 2616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

02-05-08, 10:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail aquariaqueen Click to send private message to aquariaqueen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
And it's expected to trickle down to the other carriers as well.

Ahtumbreez 10456 desperate attention whore postings

02-05-08, 10:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Ahtumbreez Click to send private message to Ahtumbreez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
I think it sucks.

I'm good at packing light. But, if I'm going on a long stay I'll have to get one of those humongous suitcases now.

I am pretty good packing into one though but at Christmas when the DD had to go home early I got so much stuff into her bag it was 14 lbs overweight.

Agman took me to the islands

bullzeye 5030 desperate attention whore postings

02-05-08, 10:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail bullzeye Click to send private message to bullzeye Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
I don't think I have an issue with this. Why should a traveller who is packing less weight (and therefore causing less fuel consumption), pay the same amount as someone who is adding extra weight and therefore extra cost?

If they average it out - then we all pay a higher price, rather than those who are actually adding to the cost.

Generously crafted by Agman.

We pay more for heavier packages at the post office, by courier, by moving vans - why should this be different?

02-05-08, 11:04 AM (EST)
7. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
But we all don't pay the same fare for the seat....so unless they do that then I'll pony up for more bags or more weight.

The guy next to us to Costa Rica paid only $289 round trip while our tickets were much higher and he bought his ticket one day before us about 10 days before the flight.

02-05-08, 11:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail bullzeye Click to send private message to bullzeye Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
Hobbs, I am not certain I understand your concern. Airlines have always had staggered pricing for seats. If you book in advance to guarantee your seat, your flight, and you time/date of departure, you will likely pay a different price than if you are more flexible in your times etc - the airline's goal is to fill seats - they will give a better price in order to do so if it looks like the seat would otherwise go empty. Been to a scalper lately? Once the game starts - the price goes down.

If you and I pay the same price for the seat and you have three times the luggage that I have - the cost to the airline is higher to fly you and your luggage than it is for me (not just fuelwise, but loading, unloading, screening etc). If the airline doesn't account for this they will soon be out of business.

02-05-08, 11:28 AM (EST)
12. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
You said: We pay more for heavier packages at the post office, by courier, by moving vans - why should this be different?

My counter to that is we all don't pay the same per seat as we do per letter/postage.

So I agree with you that if we all paid the same fare then if I bring more luggage then I can see paying for the extra.

Plus booking in advanced does not guarantee your seat. We checked in 1 hour plus for our flight to Houston on our way to Costa Rica and they were looking to bump people but I don't think they did. On the way back they did bump people.

As for your scalper the person who first bought the tickets were at one set price. Then supply and demand takes over.

02-05-08, 12:07 PM (EST)
21. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
Then supply and demand takes over.

My point exactly, and why airlines establish different pricing for different seats at different times. Small wonder it costs 50% more to fly to Europe in July than it does in January.

On your bumping example - airlines also consider no-shows and will overbook. If you do get bumped, it is usually for a later flight and you typically are offered a free flight somewhere else at a later time. Not a bad option if you can be flexible with your schedule.

frodis 4442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

02-05-08, 12:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frodis Click to send private message to frodis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
A true involuntary bump is not too common, although it can happen. There's a whole rule about involuntary bumps, which actually cost the airline a lot of money, so they try to avoid them. That's why you see those voluntary bumps, often with promises of a confirmed seat on the next flight and big travel vouchers offered for people who take it.

If they do involuntarily bump people off, they bump dead-heads first, airline employees, travel agent tickets, standbys, el-cheapos, . . . they go through a lot of groups before they start having to bump people who bought a regular fare ticket for that exact flight.

With the availability of stand-by flights the airlines HAVE to overbook, and there's a whole formula for figuring out the trickle down effect of no-shows, people going earlier, people going later, weather delayed missed connections, etc.

There's a whole crowd of people who actually book flights that look full in order to get the bump - they rack up vouchers for future travel and still get to wherever they're going. There are also people who book flights that look full in order to try to get an operational upgrade - They will also bump people up a cabin (coach to first) in order to get more people on. The operational upgrade is a big score.

Winter wonderland a la Arkie!

02-05-08, 12:34 PM (EST)
30. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
Good explanation which I agree with entirely. At the end of the day it is about getting as many passengers on the flight to defray the substantial fixed costs.

I do love it when I am bumped up to business class! Sure wish I could afford to go that route each time I flew.

miamicatt 9247 desperate attention whore postings

02-05-08, 12:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail miamicatt Click to send private message to miamicatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
Heh. Let me guess -- Continental, right?

02-05-08, 12:28 PM (EST)
27. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
Yep, we flew NW's partner Continental to Houston and then on to San Jose and back.

02-05-08, 12:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail miamicatt Click to send private message to miamicatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
Because it's a bullsh!t reason.

Folks like me end up checking more luggage because I can't pack certain items like shampoo and facial toner into my carry-on. The majority of flights I take would be one checked bag, and one carry-on but due to these security rules, now I usually end up checking two bags lest I should bring terrorist mascara and lip gloss onto the plane.

Now they want to penalize me for following the stupid security rules? They can shove their extra fuel costs right up their fuelhole and take it up with the TSA.

Sorry. The airlines and the DMV just really pi$$ me off.

02-05-08, 12:33 PM (EST)
29. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
That's the main point of my rant. I can't pack more into my carry on so I have more bags to check thus charge us all.

02-05-08, 01:33 PM (EST)
42. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
But they'll still lose it for free.

02-05-08, 03:45 PM (EST)
47. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
Or steal out of it.....

jbug 17146 desperate attention whore postings

02-05-08, 10:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
54. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
You can always go to Scotsboro, AL (or something like that - ask Guppie) and buy your stuff back at the lost luggage store.

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

02-05-08, 11:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
I'm sorry but give me all the services and a true price and then I'll buy a ticket is almost where I'm at.

I noticed the article mentioned that the extra charges apply for domestic travelers.

The Asian airlines are all good about allowing quite a lot of luggage for international travel. The limit is two bags for a total 40 kg (about 88 lbs) per passenger. If any American airlines want to start charging extra for luggage overseas, they'll quickly lose business to airlines like JAL, Cathay Pacific, SIA, MAS and so on, all of which provide full service and extra allowances even to the lowliest special-fare economy class passengers.

02-05-08, 11:08 AM (EST)
8. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
LAST EDITED ON 02-05-08 AT 11:12 AM (EST)

But from Detroit we cannot get on any flights from them. I did fly Korean Air once out of Chicago but it had 3 legs to get where I needed to be and added about 8 hours to the trip (almost 24 hours of travel). Northworst put the domestic and international limits are the same. 2 bags with a 50 lb max.

Edit: Northworst 50-70 lb bag is $150 charge. Full list of charges: http://www.nwa.com/travel/luggage/checked.html

02-05-08, 12:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
Wow, now that there is one load of reading. Did you notice the special charges to/from the Philippines certain months?

Hobbs, I'm completely with you on this. Give me a price, and put me and my stuff on the plane. That's all we ask.

For the best price, plan early, go online and try out the routes and prices, and choose the best, smoothest route within an economy budget.

I'm a serious packer. Taking my family abroad, I'm the one who has to find ways to squeeze in all those souvenirs and gifts for everyone, along with everything else that we already brought, into a limited number of suitcases. Alone, I like to travel light. With a family, it needs to be planned a bit, going lighter and coming back heavier with some goodies.

02-05-08, 01:14 PM (EST)
40. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
yep...I saw that...and I loved how they give the prices in Euro's and CND.....I wonder if they've change that for the falling dollar?

Max Headroom 10069 desperate attention whore postings

02-05-08, 12:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
35. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
The Asian airlines are all good about allowing quite a lot of luggage for international travel.

Hmm, I distinctly remember China Eastern charging me an extra 200 RMB due to an overweight suitcase on my last trip within the PRC. It's almost like they're a regulated, state-owned, monopolistic airline or something...

02-05-08, 01:11 PM (EST)
39. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
Well Costa Rica has an airport tax that you must pay before they let you leave and I think it was Hong Kong that had that too. Lucky for me I did not change all my Chinese money yet in Hong Kong or it would have been a mess. There are many times when I leave a city I'm broke after a trip.

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

02-05-08, 11:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
Time for a passenger strike!

They're only charging frugal flyers, the fat cat high rollers who could afford it get their baggage comped! It's unfair discrimination!

If you do have to fly United, organize your section, storm the first class section, eat all their cookies!

ARRRRRRR!!!!

02-05-08, 11:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail frodis Click to send private message to frodis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
Actually, they're only charging infrequent flyers.

Frequent flyers (not necessarily fat cat high rollers) get the charged waived.

02-05-08, 11:14 AM (EST)
11. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
Don't be shocked if the other airlines do follow suit with this charge. These kind of service charges tend to be a big game of follow-the-leader. One takes the plunge and does it, then the others do it.

02-05-08, 11:30 AM (EST)
13. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
Cause with the Hub system people are forced it accept it because they have no choice in that hub system with very few airlines with the same number and routes out of that airport.

02-05-08, 11:40 AM (EST)
17. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
Well, you do have a choice. You may have to accept more connections or a higher price, but most airports are served by multiple airlines, so if you wanted to fly, say, Delta out of Detroit you could do so. You'd have to fly from Detroit to Atlanta first, then catch a flight to wherever you wanted to go from there, but you do have the choice to do that. I've chosen to do that to use my preferred airline at times.

If United is successful with reducing the number of free checked bags from 2 to 1, then the other airlines will follow suit, so it won't matter so much whether you're using a Hub airport or not.

02-05-08, 12:03 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
But Delta is in talks to merge with Northwest....and Delta is the second biggest airline out of Detroit. So if they merge, then we have less choice.

Plus my original rant was I'm almost at the point where I want them to just charge all of us and give us all the services we use to have: food, movies, easy on/off/check in, baggage, etc.

02-05-08, 12:17 PM (EST)
23. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
Plus my original rant was I'm almost at the point where I want them to just charge all of us and give us all the services we use to have: food, movies, easy on/off/check in, baggage, etc.

I'm with you in spirit on that. Although, I have to admit, I actually prefer bringing my own food, movies, etc. I would like for the service level to be raised as far as cabin comfort, more legroom, etc.

I think that people (myself included) long for the airline experience of old, where it was something special, but at deep discount prices and apparently, you can't have both. It's too bad, really.

weltek 16936 desperate attention whore postings

02-05-08, 02:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
46. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
Whereas I was happy they dropped food and movies and thus reduced fares for domestic flights.

I guess I don't have a HUGE problem with the new policy. However, I have a huge problem with the fact carry on bags will now continue to grow and we'll have the 30 minute aisle blocking panic about where to fit in bags. And cod forbid you don't get on first, or your screwed and have to have your foot room crammed because people can't bear to sit ten minutes to get their luggage at the baggage claim. I understand sometimes people don't have that kind of time (rush to meeting, rush back to airport), but when 75% of the passengers bring a full suitcase on, I have a hard time believing they don't have 10 extra minutes.

02-05-08, 04:33 PM (EST)
51. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
That's one of my peeves as well. On a recent trip one female passenger hauled a huge suitcase on board (and here I thought that there were limits for carry on), bumped at least three people with that piece of luggage, and then berated the cabin attendant that was trying to help her.

When I went to the baggage claim area after we landed who do you think was standing there (with her bag), waiting for her travel partner to get her bag? I could have smacked her.

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

02-05-08, 11:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
I always carry one bag. Even to Europe for three weeks. One bag.

Not that I have been out of California in about five years, but the point remains.

02-05-08, 11:38 AM (EST)
16. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
Well when you only bring bathing suits that's easy to do....

Karchita 4483 desperate attention whore postings

02-06-08, 12:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Karchita Click to send private message to Karchita Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
59. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
LAST EDITED ON 02-06-08 AT 12:06 PM (EST)

I also go with one bag, and a carry on size that fits under my seat at that. Three weeks in Europe in winter, one carry on and that's it. Three weeks in Indonesia with 12 books, one carry on. Etc.

I can easily lift my bag over my head if I need to. That is my test to see if I need to remove anything before I leave.

Ironically, it is the shorter domestic trips where I am more likely to overpack because I don't plan as carefully and toss a lot of extra stuff in, but even then I haven't checked more than one bag more than a few times in my life.

I have avoided checking bags since TSA started rifling through them. Also I got tired of waiting 45 minutes for my bags to get to the claim area, which is what they seem to need at SeaTac.

Edited because I'm an idiot.

jbug 17146 desperate attention whore postings

02-05-08, 11:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"

Animated clipart at Agman's command

kingfish 20752 desperate attention whore postings

02-05-08, 12:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
Fortunately I don't have to depend on United. The few experiences I've had with them have all been nightmares, and I avoid them now-days.

I hope the other airlines don't follow as they often do with fares and surcharges. It would give them an advantage over United if they can stay the course.

But I can usually shrink down to what ever I need to, luggage wise. Exceptions, travel involving the bringing of presents (Esp Christmas), and hunting fishing trips, esp if it involves heavy clothing/gear. In both cases I need one bag for normal stuff and one for the other stuff.

Sometimes I mail presents, and leave hunting/fishing gear where I need it.

But just for travel, esp to warm climes, I've can easily travel for extended trips out of one medium bag and a carry-on. It's actually a good thing to be forced to do if you have to handle your bags often during the trip. My test of whether I have too much baggage is 'How would I feel if I had to tote (not roll) this thru a long airport, or for a few city blocks?'.

Usually, if you are allowed to bring two monster bags, plus a carry on, plus a camera case, plus a coat, plus a purse (if you're a woman), plus a bag of duty free stuff, you (if you're like me) manage to max out your allowance. And every time, when you get into the trip, no matter how careful you were, you realize that you've over packed.

The trick is to realize you don't need clean clothes every for every day of the trip. Wash out some clothes, use hotel cleaning services (exorbitant prices are worth it IMO) and buy stuff en route. Some day I'm going to take a trip with little more than a camera, money, and Rx's, just to prove I can.

A helpful hint you'll never get from Heloise: Underwear will last twice as long if you turn it inside out.

02-05-08, 12:07 PM (EST)
22. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
Next we'll get paper underwear like Teri and Ian....

Colonel Zoidberg 3662 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

02-05-08, 12:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to send private message to Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
The wife and I flew Delta for our honeymoon, and we got charged extra for bags over 50 pounds ($25 per bag that eclipsed 50, and we were told that anything over 100 had to be transported as cargo and charged $100.) We were a little baffled by that, but we paid it and were generally pleased with them. I think the limit was two bags per passenger, which is reasonable. Charging for a second bag is insane.

What I don't get, though, is that it seems like the cost of headphones has gone down over the years. I remember them being $5 back in the day. On our honeymoon, DW and I paid $2 apiece for them - and we got to keep them. Plus, they showed decent movies.

DebCapsFan 2747 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

02-05-08, 12:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DebCapsFan Click to send private message to DebCapsFan Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
Appparently you except as well if you are flying for the Federal Government under one of their contracted fares.

mrc 10113 desperate attention whore postings

02-05-08, 12:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mrc Click to send private message to mrc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
This is why I only fly Southwest unless someone else is footing the bill. Say what you want about Southwest, but you don't see this kind of problem with them.

Sigs by Bob about chalk dust. Pretty exciting stuff

02-05-08, 12:52 PM (EST)
34. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
My tip of the hat to Southwest. Seriously.

One time I was traveling for business and was en-route home to stop by for a week just to see my family. Unfortunately, I flew Northwest and they had a strike the same day I flew out from K.L. When I arrived to Detroit, nada, no Northwest flights and they would (and I presume, could) not arrange an alternative flight from Detroit to Indy. Here I'd come almost 10,000 miles and couldn't make the final leg home. I scrambled to check out train and bus schedules and gave them up as poor alternatives.

I then strolled the concourse, saw an empty Southwest counter and asked them if they had a seat to Indy. Sure. $50. (*thud*) I've got international luggage, lots. No problem. The lady was sweet as pie. (*thud again*)

The plane flew from Detroit to Midway in Chicago for a short stop, just long enough for passengers board the plane in the open tarmac. It was like an Indy pit crew loading the luggage below. Zoom, the pilot flew that thing almost like a fighter plane, lands in Indy coasting the runways like an Indy driver, and I'm home.

Thank you, Southwest.

I later did a special paper and presentation on them for my international MBA course. At least then, they were a really good company with good employees.

MTW1961 4029 desperate attention whore postings

02-05-08, 12:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MTW1961 Click to send private message to MTW1961 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
36. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
I'd really have no problem with the change in pricing policy. I think airlines are one of the best examples of market-driven pricing. Fares are SO much lower comparatively now than before deregulation when airlines could only differentiate from each other by their level of service. They take a calculated risk that their extra revenue will exceed the cost of goodwill lost by this extra charge. It's GOT to be more expensive to handle two bags than one, so those of us with fewer bags pay less. Sounds fair.

I really resent the lie they feel they have to associate with it, though. Extra fuel costs? Give me a break. My 104lb daughter pays the same fare as a 200lb man. Does she get two checked bags? Don't insult me with your lies. Just tell the truth.

Handcrafted by RollDDice!

02-05-08, 01:03 PM (EST)
38. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
CHOKE! CHOKE ON YOUR LIES!!!!

Max Headroom 10069 desperate attention whore postings

02-05-08, 12:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
37. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
As long as this stays unique to United, it won't bother me as I avoid that airline like the plague. After many, many episodes of poor service, getting stranded, etc., I'd rather walk than fly United.

However, as others have noted, this luggage charge is similar to the fuel surcharges which are occasionally attempted by the airlines. One airline goes first, while the others observe the length and intensity of the backlash, then decide if they'll match or not. There are two possible end results: 1) all airlines adopt the new charge, or 2) no airline adopts the new charge.

byoffer 15947 desperate attention whore postings

02-05-08, 01:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
41. "The easy solution..."
...is to just wear all your clothes onto the plane...

Sorry to post a Godlewski picture. There are prolly better non-elim clothing stack pictures, but this is the one I could find.

brak brak brak...

vince3 17341 desperate attention whore postings

02-05-08, 02:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail vince3 Click to send private message to vince3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
44. "RE: The easy solution..."
I'm surprised you didn't find the Paolo NE picture.........

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

02-05-08, 03:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
48. "RE: The easy solution..."
The rest of us are just glad he didn't.

byoffer 15947 desperate attention whore postings

02-05-08, 04:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
50. "RE: The easy solution..."
I thought there was one with them also, but can't seem to find it. Remember which episode that was?

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race8/show/ep01/

greenmonstah 10761 desperate attention whore postings

02-05-08, 01:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail greenmonstah Click to send private message to greenmonstah Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
43. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
I like to fed ex my stuff ahead of me to my hotel.

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

02-05-08, 03:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
49. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
It's usually easier to mail purchases back to my apartment rather than struggle them onto a plane -- but now it's starting to become more cost-effective to do what Monstah just suggested and mail the luggage, too. If this keeps up, the overnight services are going to see a lot of business -- especially if the airline's price goes up for each additional item checked.

qwertypie 9776 desperate attention whore postings

02-06-08, 10:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
55. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
Just don't send it UPS. They don't exactly have a stellar track record in my books for getting packages to their destinations on time.

02-06-08, 11:08 AM (EST)
57. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
Plus what happens if it does not get there. The airlines at least pony up some to keep you going. I don't see UPS/Fed Ex/DHL/etc. doing that but it would be an interesting add on service for them.

kingfish 20752 desperate attention whore postings

02-06-08, 11:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
58. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
You can insure your packages using any of those delivery services, I think. UPS I know for sure, and I assume the others would not let UPS get a step on them. Internationally, or within the country.

My track record is about that about two thirds of the stuff that I've mailed to myself from Europe and Asia has arrived ok. the missing stuff has either 'fallen off the lorry', or customs in one or the other country gets it. I'm not knowingly smuggling illegal stuff, but sometimes you can buy trinkets that are considered antiques or something like that, and are confiscate able. I was surprised at a customs stop in Turkey when they confiscated a few silver coins that I had bought. The guy swore that they were real, and I still assumed that they were fake. I still, to this day, believe they were fake. But Turkish customs thought they were real, 1 to 3 thousand years old, coins.

Heck, I didn't know they considered old coins, even if they had been real, national heritage treasures. I also didn't know I was flirting with a Turkish jail sentence. Smugglers in Turkey can have a bad end.

Anyway, for me, that means the stuff gets lost often enough to make paying for the insurance a good idea.

qwertypie 9776 desperate attention whore postings

02-06-08, 10:28 AM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
56. "RE: Who will be flying United now?"
Well, I think there should be a class action lawsuit on gender discrimination. It sounds like females (and metro-sexual males) will be the most impacted because of the rules that won't allow liquids for carry on. Hell, while we're at it, we should also sue the ad agencies and cosmestic companies that convince us that we need all that goopy crap to begin with.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •