The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Read any good fiction lately?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

The Cake 94 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

10-02-07, 02:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail The%20Cake Click to send private message to The%20Cake Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Read any good fiction lately?"
Hello to all on the OT board today!
I just finished reading the uncut version of Stephen King's The Stand so I am in the market for a new book. Anyone read anything good lately? I need some suggestions.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Read any good fiction lately? Spanky68 10-02-07 1
 RE: Read any good fiction lately? syren 10-02-07 2
   RE: Read any good fiction lately? Breezy 10-02-07 3
       RE: Read any good fiction lately? samboohoo 10-02-07 4
           RE: Read any good fiction lately? Breezy 10-02-07 6
       RE: Read any good fiction lately? syren 10-02-07 8
           RE: Read any good fiction lately? Breezy 10-02-07 9
               RE: Read any good fiction lately? syren 10-02-07 11
                   RE: Read any good fiction lately? Breezy 10-02-07 13
                       RE: Read any good fiction lately? dragonflies 10-02-07 19
                           RE: Read any good fiction lately? cahaya 10-03-07 24
 Blaze moonbaby 10-02-07 5
   My brain is too IceCat 10-03-07 25
 RE: Read any good fiction lately? smokeysmom 10-02-07 7
 RE: Read any good fiction lately? geg6 10-02-07 10
   RE: Read any good fiction lately? frankz 10-02-07 16
 RE: Read any good fiction lately? Glow 10-02-07 12
 RE: Read any good fiction lately? Breezy 10-02-07 14
 RE: Read any good fiction lately? jbug 10-02-07 15
 RE: Read any good fiction lately? The Cake 10-02-07 17
 RE: Read any good fiction lately? frankz 10-02-07 18
   That reminds me... moonbaby 10-03-07 29
       Water for Elephants Breezy 10-03-07 30
 RE: Read any good fiction lately? dragonflies 10-02-07 20
 RE: Read any good fiction lately? Estee 10-02-07 21
 RE: Read any good fiction lately? J Slice 10-02-07 22
   RE: Read any good fiction lately? Estee 10-02-07 23
 RE: Read any good fiction lately? maroonclowns mom 10-03-07 26
   RE: Read any good fiction lately? jbug 10-03-07 32
 Gormenghast Trilogy KeithFan 10-03-07 27
   RE: Gormenghast Trilogy FishWoman 10-04-07 34
 RE: Read any good fiction lately? SherpaDave 10-03-07 28
   RE: Read any good fiction lately? dragonflies 10-03-07 31
       RE: Read any good fiction lately? SherpaDave 10-04-07 33

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Spanky68 8092 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

10-02-07, 02:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Spanky68 Click to send private message to Spanky68 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Read any good fiction lately?"
Armor. John Steakley.

If you want a great nonfiction read: Mark Twain: A Life by Ron Powers. Superbly researched and written.

IceCat makes me jumpy

syren 5418 desperate attention whore postings

10-02-07, 02:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail syren Click to send private message to syren Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Read any good fiction lately?"
Been reading the OT book club reads, those are always good. I have to post my thoughts as I got my book late and just got caught up.

Other than that, I haven't been reading anything.

What?

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings

10-02-07, 02:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Read any good fiction lately?"
Doesn't your book start this week?

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings

10-02-07, 02:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Read any good fiction lately?"
I thought The Road was first.

Woo Hoo! I love me some Arkie!

10-02-07, 02:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Read any good fiction lately?"
Kimmer told me The Road was last.

10-02-07, 02:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail syren Click to send private message to syren Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Read any good fiction lately?"
I thought mine was on the 10th?

What?

10-02-07, 02:36 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Read any good fiction lately?"
The 10th is a Wednesday we usually start on a Monday. Found the link.

10-02-07, 02:40 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Read any good fiction lately?"
Sorry, I really thought it was later. I was wondering when I should start it.

I will post a thread in the morning with the schedule and such.

What?

10-02-07, 02:46 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Read any good fiction lately?"
No problem for me, I don't have it yet. But since I asked in the last Poisonwood thread, some may have started it to get ready.

dragonflies 8051 desperate attention whore postings

10-02-07, 03:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dragonflies Click to send private message to dragonflies Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Read any good fiction lately?"
I ordered from the library, still don't have it. I do have The Road though.

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

10-03-07, 04:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Read any good fiction lately?"
Same here. I just finished reading The Road in less than two days. I'll rejoin the OTBC discussions when we get to it.

moonbaby 17120 desperate attention whore postings

10-02-07, 02:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail moonbaby Click to send private message to moonbaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "Blaze"
Richard Bachman. You might like his work

He who throws mud loses ground.

IceCat 17415 desperate attention whore postings

10-03-07, 09:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "My brain is too"

... cluttered with stuff.

When I read 'blaze' I instantly thought of a quote from a twenty year old movie:

"Her pants are blazing for you, Newton Crosby!"

smokeysmom 184 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

10-02-07, 02:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail smokeysmom Click to send private message to smokeysmom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Read any good fiction lately?"
Hi Cake!

It's hard to guess without knowing more about your tastes, but I recently read "The Road" (which is coming up on our OT Book Club -- hope you'll join us!) and it is amazing. It's kind of "Steven King-ish" in an odd way, but -- be warned, bleak.

For a lighter read, I'm reading "Spy" by Ted Bell, an international spy thriller that's a non-stressful, a little "pulpy" exciting read.

Icey bounce, natch!

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

10-02-07, 02:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Read any good fiction lately?"
Sorry, but I can't remember the last fiction I read.

Lately, I've been reading all biography/all history, all the time. LOL!

"And now the whole nation -- pulpit and all -- will take up the war-cry, and shout itself hoarse, and mob any honest man who ventures to open his mouth; and presently such mouths will cease to open. Next the statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting the blame upon the nation that is attacked, and every man will be glad of those conscience-soothing falsities, and will diligently study them, and refuse to examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by convince himself that the war is just, and will thank God for the better sleep he enjoys after this process of grotesque self-deception." Mark Twain

frankz 1214 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

10-02-07, 03:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frankz Click to send private message to frankz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Read any good fiction lately?"
Uh Geg
All biography/all history, all the time COULD turn you into a dull person.

I’m currently reading Hitler’s Willing Executioners. There’s some debate as to whether it’s fiction or not.

Hey, I saw Christmas decorations in the stores already. I have retired my white shoes for the winter though

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

10-02-07, 02:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Read any good fiction lately?"
The Time Traveler's Wife

10-02-07, 02:47 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Read any good fiction lately?"
Did you read his Long Walk yet? It was originally published under his pen name Bachman, but has been rereleased under King.

Save a horse, ride a cowboy.

jbug 17146 desperate attention whore postings

10-02-07, 02:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Read any good fiction lately?"
I'm halfway thru the Towers series for the third time! I can't help it - I can't get enough of SK.

If you enjoyed The Stand, then you'll enjoy just about any of SK's books - some more than others.
Also try the Bachman books.

SurfKitten Siggie Shop 2007

The Cake 94 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

10-02-07, 03:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail The%20Cake Click to send private message to The%20Cake Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Read any good fiction lately?"
Thanks for all the suggestions. Actually that is my first King book I have made it through. Tried to read a couple of others & just found them to be too graphically descriptive on the gory stuff. Maybe I'll try the one you all are reading for the book club so I can join you in discussions. If I can ever get out of work & actually get to borders to buy it. Thanks again!

frankz 1214 desperate attention whore postings

10-02-07, 03:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frankz Click to send private message to frankz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Read any good fiction lately?"
Actually if you like long novels, I started a series recently by Gary Jennings called “Spangle”. (Hey they were $1 a piece at Dollar General – Can’t beat the price). Anyway, it’s a 3-book series about a circus that starts out in the waning days of the US Civil War and travels around the south after the war picking up acts and expanding.

It’s well written, very well researched and an easy read. But I have to admit I’m now about halfway through the second book and getting pretty bored with the circus. They have traveled over to Europe through Italy and now in Germany and the descriptions of their travels are well written but I’m losing interest. From the cover I see he has also written a 3-parter called Aztec. Anyone familiar with that or Gary Jennings. This is the first I’ve heard of him.

I've tried nothin' and I'm all out of ideas!

moonbaby 17120 desperate attention whore postings

10-03-07, 01:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail moonbaby Click to send private message to moonbaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "That reminds me..."
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen was so so good I was sad when I was done with it. When you want to read more circus based fiction. Very highly recommend.

Also read Peony in Love by Lisa See, very absorbing 17th century China-based romance/ghost story. Loved it.

10-03-07, 01:25 PM (EST)
30. "Water for Elephants"
Has been on my list all summer. It must be on high demand, I still haven't received it from my book club.

10-02-07, 03:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dragonflies Click to send private message to dragonflies Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Read any good fiction lately?"
Not at all like King, but for long novels try James Clavell. Shogun series. The Noble House was one of my favs.

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

10-02-07, 06:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Read any good fiction lately?"
Have you checked out the Story Competitions forum?

The Mole is coming...

J Slice 13166 desperate attention whore postings

10-02-07, 06:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail J%20Slice Click to send private message to J%20Slice Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Read any good fiction lately?"
Yes, but I wrote it.

my professor told me that my latest story should be published, which is the most flattering compliment I've ever received. The guy's written some extremely cool and widely-published fiction, and knows what he's talking about, so the comment was all the more... well, complimentary.

As far as things I've read by others...

Fantastic short novel called City of Glass, written by a guy named Paul Auster. It's beautiful meta-detective novel stuff, with an engaging and fast-paced plot, and an excellent protagonist. Probably one of the coolest books I've ever read, and as a further whetting of my interest, the book was redone as a graphic novelization - in other words, a gorgeous comic book of a fantastic story.

If you are sure that you're right, you probably aren't.

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

10-02-07, 06:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Read any good fiction lately?"
*adds Auster book to Amazon Christmas list*

So are you going to go for it, or add eight hundred thousand words and take over Robert Jordan's slot?

maroonclowns mom 1102 desperate attention whore postings

10-03-07, 09:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail maroonclowns%20mom Click to send private message to maroonclowns%20mom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Read any good fiction lately?"

I`ve read most all Steven King (all 7 Tower books) but there is one book I can`t get out of my head. "Gerald`s Game" An edge of the seat, nail biter.

Hey, hey, smokeysmom

jbug 17146 desperate attention whore postings

10-03-07, 02:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: Read any good fiction lately?"
Geralds Game - now that is one that can give you nightmares!

SurfKitten Siggie Shop 2007

KeithFan 7422 desperate attention whore postings

10-03-07, 09:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail KeithFan Click to send private message to KeithFan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "Gormenghast Trilogy"
-or at least I'm currently reading it.

Peake was a brilliant writer who wrote with a painters eye. A very illuminative and surrealistic style.

FishWoman 1510 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

10-04-07, 10:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail FishWoman Click to send private message to FishWoman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "RE: Gormenghast Trilogy"
Gormenghast is an awesome trilogy - but the third book was sort of hard for me to get through.

You might also like "City of Saints and Madmen" by Jeff Vandermeer.

Hiking with Smokey'sMom

SherpaDave 8326 desperate attention whore postings

10-03-07, 12:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SherpaDave Click to send private message to SherpaDave Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Read any good fiction lately?"

Just sayin'.

10-03-07, 01:44 PM (EST)
31. "RE: Read any good fiction lately?"
Well, that cover doesn't scare me at least. I saw one a few months back that really did. *smooch*

SherpaDave 8326 desperate attention whore postings

10-04-07, 02:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SherpaDave Click to send private message to SherpaDave Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: Read any good fiction lately?"
Really? I didn't think we'd run any scary covers since June of last year (which I can't post here because of PG-13 issues). The one a few months ago was this one:

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •