The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Contestant #15 -- Tanya Vance"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-15-02, 09:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Contestant #15 -- Tanya Vance"
LAST EDITED ON 08-16-02 AT 09:13 PM (EST)

Edited to fix a broken link. Sorry, gang.

Please post in this thread any spoilers, speculation or information you may come up on Tanya Vance, 27, social worker, Kingsport, TN

There are already a couple of threads on this board discussing Tanya -- click on the links below for more details:

Tanya Vance?? -- when she was first 'discovered' to be a contestant
Sad News for Tanya Vance -- when the news broke that her father passed away.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Contestant #15 -- Tanya Vance weltek 08-15-02 1
 RE: Contestant #15 -- Tanya Vance SurvivorBlows 08-15-02 2
 Johnson City Press article -- CBS c... SurvivorBlows 08-16-02 3
 RE: Contestant #15 -- Tanya Vance Kokoro 08-19-02 4
   Timeline PepeLePew13 08-19-02 5
       RE: Timeline Bebo 08-19-02 6
           RE: Timeline mistofleas 08-19-02 7
       RE: Timeline Hobbs of Mich 08-19-02 8
           RE: Timeline PepeLePew13 08-19-02 9
               RE: Timeline survivor5 08-19-02 10
 Coworker's thoughts FesterFan1 08-19-02 11
   RE: Coworker's thoughts PepeLePew13 08-19-02 12
       RE: Coworker's thoughts weltek 08-20-02 13
           RE: Coworker's thoughts Round Robin 08-20-02 14

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

weltek 16936 desperate attention whore postings

08-15-02, 09:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Contestant #15 -- Tanya Vance"
Luxury item is a brush. I'm gonna be bummed for her the whole time watching knowing that she gets news that her father died.

Born and raised in Kingsport, Tennessee, Tanya Vance won multiple awards in high school for her achievements in track and field, including being voted Female Athlete of various meets and Most Outstanding Female on various occasions. Upon graduation, she moved to Johnson City with a full running scholarship to East Tennessee University and eventually earned a Bachelor's degree in social work.

Tanya is currently employed as a social worker who deals with sexually and physically abused children. Her previous employment includes work with children in therapeutic foster care, high school counselor and customer service representative for a major credit card company. She enjoys running, kayaking, rock climbing and shopping. She is a huge football fan, especially of the Tennessee Volunteers.

Tanya is currently single and living in Gray, Tennessee. She is a member of the Children's Advocacy Center Council and the Tennessee Conference of Social Workers. She is certified in First Aid/CPR. Her birth date is November 29, 1974.

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

08-15-02, 09:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Contestant #15 -- Tanya Vance"
For starters we have all this stuff already:

http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/DCForumID2/2887.shtml

Including these photos:

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

08-16-02, 04:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "Johnson City Press article -- CBS claims filming was wrapped when Tanya left "
http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/ArticleDetail.asp?Cat=LOCALNEWS&ID=14079

Although Tanya Vance’s participation in the 39-day competition came to an abrupt halt on the last day of filming in Thailand, will be “100 percent on the show,” according to CBS.

Vance’s father, Thomas W. Vance, 62, 413 Fleming Road, Kingsport, was killed in a one-car accident caused by a possible heart attack while driving on Lucy Road July 15 in Sullivan County.

Vance’s daughter was immediately flown home from Thailand to be with her family.

The show’s filming had already been wrapped up by the time she received the news of her father’s death.

Born and raised in Kingsport, Tanya Vance won multiple awards in high school for her achievements in track and field, including being voted “Best Female Athlete” of various meets and “Most Outstanding Female” on various occasions.

Upon graduation, she moved from Kingsport to Johnson City. She is currently employed as a social worker who helps sexually and physically abused children.

Her previous employment includes work with children in therapeutic foster care, high school counselor and customer service representative for a major credit card company.

She enjoys running, kayaking, rock climbing and shopping. She is a huge football fan, especially of the University of Tennessee Volunteers.

Tanya is currently single and living in Gray, where she is a member of the Children's Advocacy Center Council and the Tennessee Conference of Social Workers.

She is certified in First Aid/CPR.

Kokoro 3899 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

08-19-02, 05:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Kokoro Click to send private message to Kokoro Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Contestant #15 -- Tanya Vance"
Okay, this is from SS - you can see the actual thread here.

I checked post history and apparently, this person has been doing interviews with previous Survivors for awhile now....check out what Brandon has to say about Tanya.

Tanya Vance: Brandon says he doesn't think Tanya makes the jury. Since they were willing to send her home early for her father's funeral, it indicates that her leaving didn't affect the game. Brandon said he was told to say his final goodbyes to everyone that might die during the filming time, because if anything happened while he was still in the game, he would not be told about it. Sounds cold, but he signed the contract willingly, knowing that could happen.

Later in the thread, there is this argument:

It was in the S1 contract (and you can read it at thestingray w/r the Stacy suit) that MB and CBS were not liable for any accidents, injuries or deaths. Yet, MB paid for Mike's rehabilitation. Why? To do otherwise would be bad publicity.

Which was answered later on with this:

There is a clause in the contract that holds CBS harmless in the case of injury or death as a resault of participation in the show, however item #10 in the contract allows for the producer to provide "such medical assistance to me as it deems necessary". This is not limited to physicians care, medical and or hospitalization.

This would explain the care given to Mike, even though it does not necessarily preclude the possibility of Tanya being informed of her fathers death while she was still in the game.

It doesn't really sound as if Tanya made the jury if she "left immediately". Are our sources wrong this time - or is CBS trying to cover for themselves with this new article?

Note that the "she was not told until the game had finished" of the prior article is contrary to the filming dates we had but goes with what Brandon is saying (and makes MB look like a real prick - I don't see anyone holding back this info), while the other important line concerning her "100%" involvement would be true even if she was voted out first.

-----------------------------------
Now let us never speak of S3 again.

08-19-02, 07:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "Timeline"
Okay, here's the timeline and then decide for yourselves if this means that Tanya *could* at least be on the jury or not.

From dabo's post on June 6th, he reported two conflicting dates for the start of filming for S5.

Survivornews stated that filming would start on Sunday, June 9th (which is Saturday, June 8th our time).

Survivorfever stated that filming would start on Monday, June 10th (which is Sunday, June 9th our time).

Counting 39 days from the start of the filming dates, the jury would be making their final votes on Tuesday, July 16th (our time, SNews) or Wednesday, July 17th (our time, SFever).

Tanya's father had his tragic accident as reported here in this thread on Monday evening, July 15th.

Questions to ask:

Would they actually have time to hear about the news all the way over in Thailand by the time the final vote rolled around on either Tuesday night the 16th or Wednesday night the 17th? I doubt the family would immediately think of picking up the phone to inform CBS and telling them to call Thailand the same evening. More likely the next day, no?

If Tanya was on the jury or still in the game, would they tell her so she could have the option of backing out and flying home immediately -- or as Kokoro just pointed out, they have the right to not inform her until after the game?

Is this indicative that she does not make the jury?

Hmmm. Keep in mind, also, that Brandon is one of the more two-faced persons on earth, so you can't place too much emphasis on his words.

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

08-19-02, 09:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Timeline"
Thanks for pulling all of the info together, Pepe.

My thoughts:
- I don't doubt they told the contestants to make their goodbyes, since if there was an accident, as in this case, it would not be realistic to get them halfway across the world in time, game or no.
- A theoretical situation and the real situation are two entirely different things. The producers may say that they won't provide assistance/inform the Survivor, but we've already seen a number of cases (Mike, Lindsay, Diane, Paschal) where they've gone back on their stance on medical assistance. So it wouldn't be a surprise if they change their stance when actually faced with a relative's death.
- With one day left in the game, they could leave her in the game but still come out looking like the good guys by spending the time making arrangements, so that as soon as filming was over they could whisk Tanya away, give her access to their counselors, and get her back home quickly.

Given the timeline Pepe just presented, plus the news article, I no longer think we can assume that Tanya did not make the jury. I'm not saying she did, I'm just saying it's not clear-cut that she didn't.

all evil is seductive and Ms. Bebo is most certaintly the most evil of them all !!!!! -katem

mistofleas 8043 desperate attention whore postings

08-19-02, 11:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mistofleas Click to send private message to mistofleas Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Timeline"
I agree here that we cannot use this tragedy as a way to determine whether Tanya made the jury or not.

Let's assume she's on the jury. Her father dies on the 15th of July. Her family is obviously distraught and the reality of the situation takes some time to sink in. Many people need to be called and arrangements need to be made. Let's just say that it takes them anywhere was 6 to 12 hours to think about trying to contact Tanya. It's very easy for the Survivor production staff to get in contact with contestant's families, but families contacting production staff? No way, they'd be inundated constantly with family phone calls. So...Tanya's family goes through whatever red tape necessary to finally inform someone on the island of the death. That's going to take a day at least. We're already into the evening of the 16th or early 17th at that point. Voting will either be over by then OR, if she's on the jury and voting has yet to take place, the Burnett Empire powers that be have to fret, stew, plan and finally come to the decision make arrangements to fly her home and then tell Tanya the sad news. If she's not on the jury, they would tell her right away. There's no reason why she would need to stay in Thailand for further filming and that makes Burnett look like a hero for taking care of one of his little stars.

They can still use the shock and sadness factor for the show by making a production of telling the remaining castaways of the tragedy and getting their reactions. (oh and don't think he's not going to do that!!) This will make for great TV (in his sick little mind) because it gives them a chance to let the remaining contestants mull over the consequences of being so far from family and friends and make a fuss over missing them so much.

So all of that to say, as much as we'd like to, I don't think this helps us determine Tanya's ultimate status in the game.

Hobbs of Mich 24 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

08-19-02, 11:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Hobbs%20of%20Mich Click to send private message to Hobbs%20of%20Mich Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Timeline"
LAST EDITED ON 08-19-02 AT 11:33 AM (EST)

Pepe,

You have to remember the time difference like you did at the beginning of your post. If he past on the evening of the 15th. then it was the evening of the 16th. there. A delay in relaying the information could mean that the final votes were in and sealed for the flight home if it was on the 17th.

So while this could be a clue it's not as solid as one might think. Being on the other side of the world has to be taken into account.

08-19-02, 12:22 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Timeline"
LAST EDITED ON 08-19-02 AT 04:24 PM (EST)

The time frame I referred to when figuring out the time of the final votes in Thailand in relation to Tanya's father was in OUR time. So while it was on the 15th at the moment the accident happened, it was either Day 37 or Day 38 in Thailand depending on which you follow (SNews or SFever). I'm betting on it being Day 38 this happened.

I'm in agreement with mistofleas -- it'll probably be 12 hours or so before the production staff finally gets ahold of the news. If you look at the thread where the news of the death was posted, it was dated Tuesday, July 16th and it said that Tanya was put onto a plane to home on what I think was Day 39. You can bet that the producers will probably have a few minutes near the end of the final episode for everyone to hear the news and reflect in the so-called 'drama' and get their reactions.

I'm still on the fence about whether this means that Tanya wasn't on the jury because if you notice the timeline I pointed out in the above paragraph... the news alert dated July 16th said she was on a plane home -- this is what I think is Day 39, but could be Day 38. I don't think they're entirely correct that filming has wrapped up by the time Tanya found out -- unless both SNews and SFever are off by a day or two with the filming schedule! ... Or CBS is lying about Tanya's involvement in the show by claiming that she left after filming was done to lessen any suspicions that she might not be on the jury.

survivor5 4 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

08-19-02, 03:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail survivor5 Click to send private message to survivor5 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Timeline"
>I'm still on the fence about
>whether this means that Tanya
>wasn't on the jury because
>if you notice the timeline
>I pointed out in the
>above paragraph... the news alert
>dated July 16th said she
>was on a plane home
>-- this is what I
>think is Day 39, but
>could be Day 38.
>I don't think they're entirely
>correct that filming has wrapped
>up by the time Tanya
>found out -- unless both
>SNews and SFever are off
>by a day or two
>with the filming schedule!
>

I agree I don't believe the filming was over when she left. My money's on day 38.

FesterFan1 5947 desperate attention whore postings

08-19-02, 04:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FesterFan1 Click to send private message to FesterFan1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "Coworker's thoughts"
Co-workers believe Kingsport woman will go far on ‘Survivor'

By KEISHA BRUCE

KINGSPORT - She's got what it takes.

At least that's what colleagues of 27-year-old Tanya Vance had to say about the Kingsport woman's stint on the most recent installment of the CBS reality show "Survivor."

"She's very strong mentally and physically. She's very kind but competitive," said Deb Schurger, former executive director of the CAC.

Schurger resigned in May, about a week before Vance left to film the show in Thailand.

Vance, a graduate of East Tennessee State University, has worked at the center for about a year and a half, counseling children who are victims of violence or sexual abuse and helping prepare them for court. She deals with police investigators and the district attorney's office.

"I just instantly felt a connection with her," Schurger said. "I just feel like I've known her my whole life. I think it's because she's such a true person - there are no agendas or games or put-ons."

Schurger said she remembered Vance telling her that she was trying to get on the show and asking for the two months off that would be needed if she made it.

"In the back of my mind, I really felt like she would," Schurger said.

The news caused quite a stir at the CAC, where co-workers watched Vance's audition tape together and threw her a going-away party before she left for filming.

Smith said that through her professional relationship with Vance, she sees the contestant as one who could go far on the show.

"My knowledge of her comes through the CAC and what we do there," Smith said.

Because of Vance's experiences through college and her social work "and dealing with people in some of the most stressful times of their lives (at the CAC) ... it seems to me she would be able to do anything she wanted to," Smith said.

Schurger remembered Vance as a hard worker who often bought toys for the children with her own money.

"She always goes above and beyond," Schurger said. "At work, she was always doing the little extra things without being asked. She adores those children. ... She just was always smiling and happy and would do anything for you."

But, Schurger added, her dedication may be the one thing that lessens her chance of winning.

"I've thought about this a whole lot," she said. "She is smart, and I think for this game you have to be smart, and you have to be competitive. She is a good team player. She's loyal. The thing I think she'll struggle with is alliances. ... I think if anything would break her ... it would be because she wouldn't be able to break an alliance if she had to. I think she'll get pretty far, I really do. I'll be very surprised if she's one of the first off."

So what have we learned about Tanya?
1) She works in a field where honesty, confidentiality, and keeping promises are critical.

2) She did not try to deceive anyone when she left for Survivor. In fact, her coworkers threw her a party.

3) Her coworker describes her as loyal to a fault.

4) She is used to dealing with stressed-out children, and trying to be the "calm in the storm".

5) She has a reputation for being easy to get along with and "connecting" with people.

It seems to me that she doesn't have a deceptive bone in her body, but that she would be able to form bonds with people and act as a confidante. People will trust her, and her hard work will not go unnoticed. This leads me to believe that she should at least make the jury, and if she is in the right alliance, would be a good bet as a Final Four candidate.

The only thing I see in her way to making the jury would be having the misfortune of being on a Maraamu-esque tribe.

Fester

08-19-02, 04:53 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Coworker's thoughts"

Great post and great info, Fester!

>It seems to me that she
>doesn't have a deceptive bone
>in her body, but that
>she would be able to
>form bonds with people and
>act as a confidante.
>People will trust her, and
>her hard work will not
>go unnoticed. This leads
>me to believe that she
>should at least make the
>jury, and if she is
>in the right alliance, would
>be a good bet as
>a Final Four candidate.
>
>The only thing I see in
>her way to making the
>jury would be having the
>misfortune of being on a
>Maraamu-esque tribe.

Actually, I could see her going out around merge time a la Gretchen as she could be considered as a threat -- but I agree, this sounds like a person who has a better than even chance of going to the jury and perhaps to the final four with a good alliance.

weltek 16936 desperate attention whore postings

08-20-02, 10:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Coworker's thoughts"
I can also see her being "that one" who is sick a lot (ala Ramona, Jessie). So we can't always assume that her great personality & ablitity to keep her word will get her far. I just feel like she was waaaay too handed to us.

Round Robin 2914 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

08-20-02, 10:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Round%20Robin Click to send private message to Round%20Robin Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Coworker's thoughts"
You can't assume jack squat in this game. Hunter from S4 had a lot of good qualities, and I'm sure you all remember what those geniuses from Mara-moo-moo did to him. Tanya could get the heave ho the first TC.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •