The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Contestant #5 -- Helen Glover"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

PepeLePew13 26135 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-15-02, 09:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Contestant #5 -- Helen Glover"
Please post in this thread any spoilers, speculation or information you may come up on Helen Glover, 47, Navy swim instructor, Middletown, RI

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Contestant #5 -- Helen Glover weltek 08-15-02 1
   RE: Contestant #5 -- Helen Glover ivoryElephant 08-15-02 2
 RE: Contestant #5 -- Helen Glover SurvivorBlows 08-15-02 3
   RE: Contestant #5 -- Helen Glover ivoryElephant 08-15-02 4
       RE: Contestant #5 -- Helen Glover SurvivorBlows 08-15-02 5
           RE: Contestant #5 -- Helen Glover FesterFan1 08-15-02 7
       RE: Contestant #5 -- Helen Glover ejm92 08-15-02 6
           RE: Contestant #5 -- Helen Glover SurvivorBlows 08-15-02 8
               RE: Contestant #5 -- Helen Glover smrtNsassybnkr 08-15-02 9
 Maybe Dicque does know Helen after ... SurvivorBlows 08-16-02 10
   Helen lost 35 pounds!?! SurvivorBlows 08-16-02 11

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

weltek 16936 desperate attention whore postings

08-15-02, 09:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Contestant #5 -- Helen Glover"
LAST EDITED ON 08-15-02 AT 10:01 AM (EST)

Daughters doll is her luxury item. Cute, but snooooore. There was slightly more creative choices this time around, but this wasn't one of them.

Born in Honolulu, Hawaii, Helen Glover is the daughter of a U.S. Marine and moved almost every year while growing up. She has lived in Hawaii, Virginia, Arkansas, North Carolina, California, Louisiana, and Rhode Island.

Helen is currently employed by the U.S. Navy as a water survival instructor. She previously worked as a self-employed caterer, a waitress and a lifeguard. She describes herself as assertive, competitive and quick-witted. She enjoys cooking/baking, swimming and traveling. Her perfect trip would begin with breakfast in Honolulu, followed by shopping in New York, tea in London, a stroll along the Champs Elysées in Paris and watching a play in an amphitheater in Athens, Greece.

Helen currently lives in Middletown, Rhode Island, with her husband, Jim, and their daughter, Katherine (18). She has two additional children, Matthew (28), a Captain in the U.S. Marine Corps, and stepdaughter, Erin (30). They have a tabby cat named Oscar. Her birth date is April 28, 1955.

ivoryElephant 2257 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

08-15-02, 01:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ivoryElephant Click to send private message to ivoryElephant Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Contestant #5 -- Helen Glover"
She seems like one tough kickass woman.
I don't know who to compare her to except that she
may be the type that is strict and loving.

"I call you up in the middle of the night, like a firefly without a light. You were there like a blowtorch burning, I was a key that needed a little turning"

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

08-15-02, 01:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Contestant #5 -- Helen Glover"

Yay, another Rhode Islander (even if she is apparently a transplant...)

Btw, anyone else think it's wierd that that cast someone else from Dicque's hometown??? (although I doubt she knows him, who knows...)

-SB

ivoryElephant 2257 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

08-15-02, 01:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ivoryElephant Click to send private message to ivoryElephant Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Contestant #5 -- Helen Glover"
Elisabeth Filarski was from the same state as Dicque
wasn't she?

Anyways, I think Helen will be a strong competitor
and a very dynamic person, she is the female version of rudy

"you can never escape, you can only move north up the coast"
-congratulations to Clay Jordan, the winner of survivor Thailand-

08-15-02, 02:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Contestant #5 -- Helen Glover"
>Elisabeth Filarski was from the same state as Dicque
>wasn't she?

Liz was a native Rhode Island, born and raisd in RI. She then had gone off to Boston College and after graduation was still living in Newton, MA and working at Puma's nearby offices when cast on the show.

But Liz is from Cranston -- one of Rhode Island's larger "inland" (if you call maybe 20 minutes from the ocean inland) working class cities. Both Dicque and Helen are from Middletown -- it's the town right next to Newport, RI (and on the same island as Newport) and is generally a much more affluent community.

That said however, I'm not sure how much that says about Helen -- she likely lives in that area more as result of the fact that that area is where the US Navy still has a significant presense (through things like it's Naval Undersea Warfare Center research labs -- a place I almost worked at after graduating college -- and other things like the Navy War College.)

>Anyways, I think Helen will be a strong competitor
>and a very dynamic person, she is the female version of
>rudy

Might be, but I don't think she's ever been in the military -- I think she's probably more like a Gretchen (although if I remember right, Gretchen was also former military.)

-SB

FesterFan1 5947 desperate attention whore postings

08-15-02, 02:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FesterFan1 Click to send private message to FesterFan1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Contestant #5 -- Helen Glover"
I'd actually be surprised if she was in the military. Looking at her bio, she's bounced around a lot career-wise. One of her stops was as a lifeguard, so she's obviously got some water training. Dad's a Marine and maybe had some connections to get her in with the Navy.

I wouldn't look for her to be a military-type personality. I think that she's a "Naval swim instructor" the same way Gina from S4 was a "nature guide". Of course, I could be wrong...

Fester

ejm92 2221 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

08-15-02, 02:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ejm92 Click to send private message to ejm92 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Contestant #5 -- Helen Glover"
LAST EDITED ON 08-15-02 AT 02:16 PM (EST)

CBS.com says........

Rich - Newport, RI
Lizzie - Providence, RI
Helen - Middleton, RI

Not that it really matters.....CBS.com is usually wrong.

08-15-02, 02:49 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Contestant #5 -- Helen Glover"
>CBS.com says........
>
>Rich - Newport, RI
>Lizzie - Providence, RI
>Helen - Middleton, RI
>
>Not that it really matters.....CBS.com is
>usually wrong.

Trust me, they are wrong. If there's one thing I know about, it's the Rhode Island survivors. Hatch lived in Middletown, with all his issues with the law his full home address appeared in the Providence Journal numerous times -- plus his (finally) renovated home was the "House of the Week" in the paper's Sunday edition spotlight article about a month or two ago (it was up for sale then, I don't know if he's sold it yet.)

Here's a link that mentions the Middletown police coming to his home:

http://www.ananova.com/entertainment/story/sm_380410.html

He probably lives 3-4 miles maximum from Helen... maybe even a couple of blocks

-SB

smrtNsassybnkr 332 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

08-15-02, 07:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail smrtNsassybnkr Click to send private message to smrtNsassybnkr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Contestant #5 -- Helen Glover"
I think she will be the "Alicia" of Survivor 5

08-16-02, 10:48 AM (EST)
10. "Maybe Dicque does know Helen after all???"
LAST EDITED ON 08-16-02 AT 02:03 PM (EST)

...or maybe he's just being a dicque

The Providence Journal has the following article today:

Survivor show features Rhode Islander -- again
08/16/2002

-- ANDY SMITH

Maybe it's something in the water, especially in Middletown.

Whatever the reason, yet another Rhode Islander will be a contestant on Survivor, the hit CBS reality show, now in its fifth incarnation.

This time, our contender is Helen Glover,
47, a civilian employee of the U.S. Navy who works as a water survival instructor at the Naval Education and Training Center.

According to Glover's bio, she was born in Honolulu, daughter of a U.S. Marine, and moved almost every year while growing up. Besides Rhode Island and Hawaii, she has lived in Virginia, Arkansas, North Carolina and Louisiana.

Glover lives in Middletown with her husband, Jim. She has three children, Katherine, 18, Matthew, a 28-year-old captain in the Marines, and stepdaughter Erin, 30.

Previous jobs have included lifeguard, caterer and waitress. Glover describes herself in her CBS bio as "assertive, competitive and quick-witted."

Those traits will probably come in handy on Survivor, in which contestants are pitted against one another in a variety of physical and mental challenges while they vote each other out of the game. Last one still in wins $1 million.

This time around, Survivor is set on Koh Tarutao, an island off the coast of Thailand. The show begins Sept. 19 at 8 p.m., although the episodes have already been taped.

(A Navy source reports that Glover lost 35 pounds while she was on the island.)

Rhode Island seems to have a particularly strong connection to Survivor.

Richard Hatch,
also of Middletown, was the very first winner when the show first aired in the summer of 2000 and became a national phenemenon.

Hatch was not exactly a fountain of information during a very brief intervew yesterday:

Does he know Glover? No comment.

What is it about Survivor and Middletown? No comment.

Has he sold his house in Middletown, on the market for $1.25 million. No comment.

Hatch did say he'll be doing some commentary about Survivor: Thailand, but wouldn't say for whom. He did mention that he'll be featured in a show on cable channel TNN called Fame for 15: Extraordinary Journeys that will air Sunday night at 10:30.

The Ocean State's other Survivor star was Elisabeth Filarski,
who didn't win but did make it into the final four on Survivor's second season, set in the Australian outback.

Filarski grew up in Cranston, although she was living in Massachusetts when her episodes aired. Now Filarski hosts a show called The Look for Less, on cable's Style Network. Earlier this summer, she married former Boston College quarterback Tim Hasselbeck at St. Mary's Church in Cranston.

08-16-02, 02:05 PM (EST)
11. "Helen lost 35 pounds!?!"
Yikes, I'd missed the below when reading the article at home in the actual newspaper (guess I was too busy skipping over that part about the location, premiere date, etc.)

(A Navy source reports that Glover lost 35 pounds while she was on the island.)

On someone her size, this definitely seems to imply post-Merge status in the game

-SB

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •