The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Contestant #4 -- Jan Gentry"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-15-02, 09:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Contestant #4 -- Jan Gentry"
Please post in this thread any spoilers, speculation or information you may come up on Jan Gentry, 53, teacher, Tampa Bay, FL

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Contestant #4 -- Jan Gentry weltek 08-15-02 1
 RE: Contestant #4 -- Jan Gentry survivorscott 08-15-02 2
 RE: Contestant #4 -- Jan Gentry Kokoro 08-15-02 3
 SP times article SurvivorBlows 08-16-02 4
 Tampa Tribune article SurvivorBlows 08-16-02 5
 RE: Contestant #4 -- Jan Gentry Drive My Car 08-18-02 6
   RE: Contestant #4 -- Jan Gentry ZealousElijah 08-18-02 7
       RE: Contestant #4 -- Jan Gentry SurvivorBlows 08-19-02 8
       RE: Contestant #4 -- Jan Gentry Kokoro 08-19-02 9
           RE: Contestant #4 -- Jan Gentry NightScribe 08-19-02 10
               RE: Contestant #4 -- Jan Gentry weltek 08-20-02 11
                   RE: Contestant #4 -- Jan Gentry Kokoro 08-20-02 12
                       RE: Contestant #4 -- Jan Gentry weltek 08-20-02 13

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

weltek 16936 desperate attention whore postings

08-15-02, 09:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Contestant #4 -- Jan Gentry"
LAST EDITED ON 08-15-02 AT 10:01 AM (EST)

Picture of her family is luxury item.

Born in Fort Worth, Texas, Jan Gentry attended several colleges (including Texas Tech University and the University of Texas) before receiving a Bachelor of Science degree in Education from Lamar University. She then attended Texas Wesleyan College, where she received an additional teaching certificate for the mentally handicapped. She currently works as a first grade teacher in Lutz, Florida. Previously, she was employed as tennis legend Martina Navratilova's secretary. She also owned her own business hand-painting custom baskets and worked at a clothing store in Orlando, Florida.

Jan describes herself as a charismatic people-person who is also a logical thinker with good problem-solving abilities. She enjoys running in triathlons, tennis, golf and fishing. On her perfect day, she would work out, then fish on her boat while drinking a beer and listening to Willie Nelson. She would cap off the day by grilling the day's catch while enjoying a few more beers and a good cigar.

Jan currently resides in Tampa, Florida with her husband, Bill. She considers her five children, Jef (26), Molly (24), Lisa (20), William (18), and Keller (18) to be her greatest accomplishments. Her pets include a fish named Jake, a guinea pig named Beethoven and a cockatiel named Fred. Her birth date is October 31, 1948.

survivorscott 2191 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

08-15-02, 05:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail survivorscott Click to send private message to survivorscott Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Contestant #4 -- Jan Gentry"
LAST EDITED ON 08-15-02 AT 06:14 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 08-15-02 AT 06:08 PM (EST)

here is a link with some results from the 1999 St. Anthony's triathalon in St. Petersberg, right next to Tampa. Looks like our survivor's team finshed "69th DUDE!" Sorry had a Bill and Ted moment

http://www.cftsommersports.com/Results/1999/stanthony/tmovsplt.htm

found some more

http://news.tbo.com/news/MGAR4OLUW4D.html

one day I may actualy find spoiler information here. Thr thing I find interesting on this sight is that the school was just opened August of last year. So she must have just left right after the school year and came back right before. She looks MUCH younger in the picture here

http://www.sdhc.k12.fl.us/~mckitrick.elementary/

Not much spoiler value.

Kokoro 3899 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

08-15-02, 08:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Kokoro Click to send private message to Kokoro Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Contestant #4 -- Jan Gentry"
Looking at this thread, we seem to be coming to the conclusion that she's on the male dominated team. Honestly, the fact that she is the oldest doesn't help her in any way, neither does her "athletic experience". Afterall, didn't Kim J say she ran triathalons or some such nonsense?

It really looks like whenever her team loses a challenge, she'll be the first off - unless, of course, she manages to work up sympathy and has an incredible amount of luck with other contestants going down early....but I don't think that's gonna happen. Jan = first or second boot ----> 90% chance

http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/DCForumID2/2924.shtml

-----------------------------------
Now let us never speak of S3 again.

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

08-16-02, 02:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "SP times article"
http://www.sptimes.com/2002/08/16/TampaBay/How_I_spent_my_summer.shtml

First-grade teacher Jan Gentry disappeared in June after telling co-workers at her Lutz school she was headed to Texas to care for her ill mother.

But once friends saw their noticeably thinner colleague at McKitrick Elementary's recent back-to-school barbecue, the questions began.

Turns out, Gentry, 53, had been on the remote island of Koh Tarutao off the southern coast of Thailand, earning a place in pop culture history as one of 16 contestants on the reality TV show Survivor: Thailand.

"We sort of figured it out," said McKitrick Elementary principal Lisa Yost, who knew Gentry had applied for the show but not that she had made the cut.

Age is not a factor," Gentry, who has five children aged 18 to 26, said in a video clip aired Thursday on the syndicated show Inside Edition. "I will not allow it to be."

"I describe Jan as a woman who likes a nice cigar, a cool beer and a good game of poker," said Probst, who has hosted the show since its inception during the summer of 2000. "Jan came into this game saying, "I'm going to play it my way, with morals and ethics.' She came in with a certain integrity. . . . She's a real person."

"We tried to push her buttons and (convince) her she couldn't make it," he added. "But she performed so well in the physical (and mental) tests, she surprised us. . . . We couldn't find a reason not to take her."

Probst's comments came as no surprise to Gentry's ex-husband, Jef Russell, who was married to Gentry for 19 years in the '70s and '80s and remains friends. (She's now married to William Gentry.)

Russell remembers when his then-wife decided it was time to take up jogging. Within months, she had run her first marathon and not long after, qualified and ran in the New York Marathon.

"When she sets her mind to something, you can bank on it 100 percent," he added. "I may have been the least surprised person on the planet (when she was selected for Survivor)."

Born in Fort Worth, Texas, on Halloween night, Janet Belknap attended several colleges before earning a bachelor's degree in education from Lamar University in Beaumont, Texas.

Her chance friendship with a close friend of tennis great Martina Navratilova in Fort Worth led to a short stint as the athlete's administrative aide in the mid '80s, opening truckloads of mail and handling her telephone messages, Russell said.

By 1996, she had split with Russell and married William Gentry, moving with him from Texas to Winter Park and then to the Tampa area in 1998. That year she got her first job in the Hillsborough County school system -- a temporary teaching position at Bellamy Elementary School in Tampa.

School district records show a long list of positive evaluations and accolades for Gentry from schools in Vidor, Texas, Orlando and Tampa. Colleagues at McKitrick Elementary praise her as a dedicated and creative educator, noting her Survivor audition tape was wrapped in a pink paper signed by all her students.

"I think she could teach a brick to read," said Yost, adding Gentry wants to make sure the Survivor hype doesn't overwhelm her classroom or her students.

"She said she'd have to watch her morals and values (on the show)," added fellow first-grade teacher Crista Sontchi. "She had to be a good role model for the kids."

08-16-02, 02:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "Tampa Tribune article"
http://tampatrib.com/FloridaMetro/MGA3TW3HX4D.html

``She's very athletic and is in good physical condition and likes to take on a challenge,'' said daughter Lisa, 20, a University of Florida student.

Gentry and her husband, Bill, a businessman, live in Hunter's Green. A second marriage for both, they have a combined family including her children Jef, 26, Molly, 24, and William, 18; and his children, Keller, 18, and Lisa.

Gentry runs five miles a day, plays tennis and competes in triathlons.

``She's also a great teacher who is well-liked by everyone here,'' McKitrick Principal Lisa Yost said. ``She is set on not letting it get in the way of her work. She wants to keep everything as calm and normal as possible in her classroom.''

Longtime friend Lisa Tyndall of Beaumont says Gentry is ``a character, a tough old bag, like me. And if anybody can win, she can.''

Drive My Car 20045 desperate attention whore postings

08-18-02, 10:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Drive%20My%20Car Click to send private message to Drive%20My%20Car Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Contestant #4 -- Jan Gentry"
Looks like North Texas is well represented. This Gal is from Fort Worth, and Dallas, McKinney and Plano are all within 15 minutes of each other.

ZealousElijah 7 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

08-18-02, 10:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ZealousElijah Click to send private message to ZealousElijah Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Contestant #4 -- Jan Gentry"
LAST EDITED ON 08-18-02 AT 10:45 PM (EST)

First off just because she's old?

First, let me point out that she's only about 8 years older than Tina (S2) was. (I think...)

Second, the article says that her teaching friends noticed that she came back much thinner. Now, unless they put all contestants on diets after they get voted out, we have a good reason to suspect that she makes it pretty far in the game.

I'm predicting well after the merge at least. (If there is a merge) Besides... if the teams are uneven and she's on the male dominated team... what guy is going to make a entire team of males? Females are an important part of society and I honestly believe that a male-only tribe would be self-destructive. So being on the male dominated tribe might help her more than it would hurt her.

And if the guys vote out the few women on there tribe right away... ahh God, I'll be upset. (Fasinated... but upset!)

08-19-02, 00:54 AM (EST)
8. "RE: Contestant #4 -- Jan Gentry"
Well, a quick search for "McKitrick Elementary" shows the school has a website -- apparently it is a new school -- and there's a group photo of all the first grade teachers, but I haven't found any info on how recent it is:

(although I just checked on the HTML file on the web server was last modified 8/4/2002, so maybe it is a recent photo)

http://www.sdhc.k12.fl.us/~mckitrick.elementary/

...one thing is clear though -- she most REAL LIKE OVERALLS!

-SB

08-19-02, 02:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Kokoro Click to send private message to Kokoro Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Contestant #4 -- Jan Gentry"
Actually, she's 13 years older than Tina....

I'm simply saying that based on past shows, the "over 50" ladies do not do very well. It may not be nice or PC of the rest of the cast, but they do tend to make very easy targets in a game where strength is required and where easy boots are appreciated. Unless she's given Kim J.-like circumstances, where a couple of tribemates take early dives due to dehydration or exhaustion, she's likely to be picked off without a second thought.

I tend not to include weightloss spoilers - they tend to be exaggerated and they've been frequently wrong as of late. And remember that last season we also found out that they ~were~ encouraged to get in shape after being booted.

NightScribe 761 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

08-19-02, 12:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail NightScribe Click to send private message to NightScribe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Contestant #4 -- Jan Gentry"
Koko --
Usually I agree with your analysis, but I do disagree with your assessment of weightloss as a legitimate spoiler. Last season, Zoe, Kathy and Neleh all had early reports of weightloss. Zoe made the jury, and Kathy and Neleh made it to the final 3. In S3 (which I will never speak of again after this) Tom Buchanan had reports of massive weightloss which indicated his longevity in the game. I think Weightloss spoilers should be considered. If Jan Gentry came back noticably thinner, then I am guessing she did go far into the game.

Let us not forget that the way people are playing this game is changing too. S4 taught us that older folks can do well in the game. Everyone, including myself, expected Kathy to be booted first, right? That didn't happen for a lot of reasons, but mostly because her team was so powerful that they didn't go to tribal council for, what, two weeks?

If Jan is on a tribe that wins challenges, she's not going anywhere. If she's on a tribe that is dominated by males, she will likely not be an immediate target, because, as we've seen, sometime the males are so busy competing for their status in the tribe, that they pay little attention to people like Jan.

Just thought I'd weigh in on this one. No pun intended.

08-20-02, 10:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Contestant #4 -- Jan Gentry"
Nightscribe makes good points. I agree that we need to at least consider weight loss spoilers, but more importantly, it's the analysis of tribe dynamics when dominated by males that we should consider. The males will not all bond against females. It could be almost Big-Brothereque. Haven't watched in awhile, but Dani & Jason ("the good guys")realized that the atheletic Alpha Males are a threat and need to go. Jason didn't bond with Eric and Roddy just because they were guys. Granted many of the men know they need strength to dominate challenges and prevent extinction, but there may be enough ego to think they can get rid of at least one strong and carry the weak. And they very well might go on an immunity run.

08-20-02, 11:11 AM (EST)
12. "RE: Contestant #4 -- Jan Gentry"
Okay I was exaggerating when I said weightloss spoilers shouldn't be considered, but they really can't be completely trusted anymore (if they ever were ;). Off the top of my head, I remember reports that Mad Dog, Carl, Peter and Gabe had all lost "a lot of weight" during their island stay and look where that got us.

In regards to the "alpha males destroy eachother" theory - if you look at past seasons, that is absolutely not true when it comes to the 35+ men. In each and every season all of the "older" men have stuck like glue from day 1 or 2 and I fully expect that to happen here.

So looking at Jan's tribe, which is speculated as:

Jan/Ghandia/Tanya/Jed/Brian/Clay/Ted/John

I am almost certain right now without seeing a second of the show that Clay, Ted and John will form an alliance from the get go.

If you include the text below, Brian is pretty much the only tribemate I don't "get" right now. From the footage we have, it seems he gets along well with the other males, but he's somewhat isolated agegroup-wise so who knows....

Other factors that don't make the future (past ;) look rosy for Jan:

1.) The African-American factor. I hope this isn't PC (if this offends anyone that's not the intent), but on pretty much every season, there has been a bond between African-American contestants that start out on the same team. At least 2/3 times this has happened (I can't speak for S2 - we didn't really see much there besides "oh look at us we're so happy" on Kucha) and both times, they were within the same age grouping....I can't say with absolute certainty - but I would think that Ted would look out for Ghandia and keep her off the chopping block as long as possible (not like Jan isn't already a better target IMO). Again - not meant to be offensive, just observation.

2.) The astrology factor. This point is probably a minor one, seeing as I have no idea how to read into astrology, but looking
at the signs, it seems that Jed and Tanya are blessed to be under a sign that has never had anyone not make at least the final 6 (out of 4 people!). I'm not sure if that means anything. It's possible I'm being overly superstious with this point, but it's still something to go "hmmmm" about, isn't it?

08-20-02, 12:40 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Contestant #4 -- Jan Gentry"
I agree, Kokoro that the Alpha male destruction theory doesn't really hold true for older men. I think my point was more that I just can't see all men bonding and kicking out women. They would feel more threatened by eachother than we've ever seen happen in the past because there are simply more of them put into a pond. I forsee more of a hard worker/slacker division being made right away than a male v. female. For that reason Jan may squeak by. She is well aware that she has to work 100 times harder to prove herself. I just have a feeling that we won't have a "gimme" first one out this time around. I don't think MB wants to continue that trend. The general public was surprised that Peter went first last time & MB may have liked the surprise tone it set. It seems by JP's comments that they wanted to make sure Jan wasn't an easy first out.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •