The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Can't you guys tell that the "life coaches" are exploiting the housemates?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Starting Over Individual Houseguest Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

highduke 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

03-25-05, 12:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail highduke Click to send private message to highduke Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Can't you guys tell that the "life coaches" are exploiting the housemates?"
Think about it this way: if you wanted to change your life what help is crying every day and confessing all your inadequacies in front of millions of people?

I mean - have you guys seen how condescening the life-coaches are toward these women? And they bring in "Dr. Stan" to give them legitimacy? And what kind of credentials do these "life-coaches" have? They're defenitely NOT doctors.

Besides, just because the life-coaches say that a housemate has "started over" and then throw her a big ceremony, doesn't mean that this is true. A "graduate" makes a guest appearance on the next season and we're supposed think she's suddenly confident living her life to the fullest?

The idea of the show is that these ladies will become their true selves by the end of their stay in the house. This is done through symbolic game-like rituals and confessing all your faults to a "life-coach" while you're sobbing like child as part of your therapy. After the "therapy" has reached a certain intensity, suddenly out of nowhere - a graduation is anounced. Have they realy changed their life?

When Andy came back after she "graduated" she seemed as nervous and insecure as ever, Kim is her usual self whenever she mkes a guest appearance, Josie (who they had scooping animal ##### at the zoo) is now a bartender, PJ still weighs a ton, Toni Braxton't sister ain't going anywhere with her singing
"career", Maureen's life is still messed up after "graduation" and being on the show for two seasons. The only difference is that when they make guest appearances after they've graduated - they're wearing a ton of studio make-up. Otherwise, they're the same as they were before they graduated.

The point is that this show doesn't deliver on what it claims to do: to fundementally change a housemate's life. It does deliver on making the women weep like children & having them confess their faults in front of millions for ratings. Then they go back to their same old lives after they graduate. We get the pageantry of believing that a change has taken place in these women by watching them, churn out their deepest self-hatred for a season and then they go back to their old ways.

Have any of you noticed the stone-cold eyes of the "life coaches"? Can't you tell how phony they are with their fake smiles, their rehersed laughs and their mechanical body language? They contradict themselves all the time as well. Once Rhonda said that she had issues with her father when the housemates were talking about their fathers in this season. But the last season Rhonda told one of the housemates who was an orphan that - Rhonda was an orphan, too. Don't you think that's kind of fucked up? What kind of a person would lie like that? I thought that a "life coach" was supposed be an expert at being her true self.

Remember when they kicked off Sommer just for chatting with the crew and made it seem like that was somehow "endangering" the every housemate's progress and how "it could even mean the end of Starting Over"? When Sommer didn't playing along with the life-coaches and they decided to incite the other housemates against her and then kick her out. How about when they got all the women excited by evacuating the house because of some bush fire at the end of the mansion's huge lawn? Or when they got the women to hit that cushion with a club while they screamed out whatever they were angry at until they broke down in tears? All this in front of little Chloe who even had to watch her mother lose control of herself? To go back to their same old lives after all that gut-renching agony shows that the therapy hasn't worked and that the women are being exploited for ratings. Deborah said it best: "I din't come here to cry every day and feel bad - I just came here to lose weight!". She's the only one who actually acieved her goal of lost weight and did it without the life-coaches. I read a story about her in "Reader's Digest". She looks great.

What does everyone think?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Can't you guys tell that the "l... celinedion1 03-29-05 1
   RE: Can't you guys tell that the "l... Aimey 04-18-05 2
       RE: Can't you guys tell that the "l... Sansurecan 08-01-05 42
 RE: Can't you guys tell that the "l... Solnubis 05-17-05 3
   RE: Can't you guys tell that the "l... jangelvi1 05-30-05 4
   RE: Can't you guys tell that the "l... cyngee 06-07-05 5
 RE: Can't you guys tell that the "l... SOfan0221 06-07-05 6
 RE: Can't you guys tell that the "l... SOAH 06-07-05 7
   Please don't bash other posters Bebo 06-08-05 8
       RE: Please don't bash other posters jdivagirl40 06-09-05 10
 RE: Can't you guys tell that the "l... jdivagirl40 06-09-05 9
   WARNING Bebo 06-20-05 18
 RE: Can't you guys tell that the "l... Momof2boyz 06-09-05 11
   RE: Can't you guys tell that the "l... Sandra 06-13-05 12
       RE: Can't you guys tell that the "l... Solnubis 06-13-05 13
           RE: Can't you guys tell that the "l... sexypoet 06-24-05 24
           RE: Can't you guys tell that the "l... Sansurecan 08-01-05 43
 RE: Can't you guys tell that the "l... sh33na 06-13-05 14
   RE: Can't you guys tell that the "l... Moother 06-14-05 15
       RE: Can't you guys tell that the "l... faith1186 06-15-05 16
           RE: Can't you guys tell that the "l... funny 06-15-05 17
           RE: Can't you guys tell that the "l... Moondreamer 06-21-05 19
               RE: Can't you guys tell that the "l... sh33na 06-22-05 20
                   RE: Can't you guys tell that the "l... Sansurecan 08-01-05 44
 RE: Can't you guys tell that the "l... fusermic7996 06-23-05 21
   RE: Can't you guys tell that the "l... superMommyintraining 06-23-05 22
   RE: Can't you guys tell that the "l... Sandra 06-24-05 23
       RE: Can't you guys tell that the "l... fusermic7996 06-28-05 27
 RE: Can't you guys tell that the "l... ariarnalatrice 06-24-05 25
 A Totally Different experience DisabledAndHomelessWhileSonInComa 06-28-05 26
 RE: Can't you guys tell that the "l... Crimegirl 06-28-05 28
 RE: Can't you guys tell that the "l... Mmae64 07-30-05 29
 Disagree Completely MeghanS 07-30-05 30
   RE: Disagree Completely sh33na 07-30-05 31
       #1 Reason chris555 07-30-05 33
           RE: #1 Reason sh33na 07-30-05 34
               RE: #1 Reason chris555 07-30-05 35
                   RE: #1 Reason sh33na 07-31-05 36
                       RE: #1 Reason chris555 07-31-05 37
                           RE: #1 Reason sh33na 07-31-05 38
                               RE: #1 Reason chris555 07-31-05 39
       RE: Disagree Completely Sansurecan 08-01-05 45
 RE: Can't you guys tell that the "l... celendine 07-30-05 32
 RE: Can't you guys tell that the "l... SpoonStruck 07-31-05 40
   RE: Can't you guys tell that the "l... sh33na 08-01-05 46
       RE: Can't you guys tell that the "l... chris555 08-01-05 47
           RE: Can't you guys tell that the "l... sh33na 08-01-05 48
 RE: Can't you guys tell that the "l... SpoonStruck 08-01-05 41

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

celinedion1 102 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-29-05, 03:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail celinedion1 Click to send private message to celinedion1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Can't you guys tell that the "life coaches" are exploiting the housemates?"
I think that season 2 was horrible and very boring. I also think that the show doesn't really accomplish what it set out to do.

Aimey 18 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

04-18-05, 02:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Aimey Click to send private message to Aimey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Can't you guys tell that the "life coaches" are exploiting the housemates?"
Well I've only seen this last season, the one that's aired on the WB and reruns on TLC. But I don't see them as being exploited if they chose to write to the program and/or send a videotape of their story and go on national tv to share their lives with the viewers. I actually believe that all three staff, rhonda, iyanla, and dr. stan do seem like they want to genuinely help the houseguests get past obstacles. And they have some creative exercises to help the women get past issues and open their eyes. I have to say that even though josie is currently a bartender, she seemed to make great strides in the house and has since completed her animal training course and is looking for a job with a local zoo. People change over a period of time. I mean many people including myself, need to be in counseling more than once in their lifetimes. And an update of jennifer said that she's visited her father in the prison along with her sister who had a strained relationship with before.

Tragically rhonda had had a major trauma in her life when she was a teen. She witnessed her father murder her mother and then kill himself!!! So perhaps that's what she meant by being an orphan as a child. All three 'counselors' have had a lot of experience in the helping profession, writing books and/or working with trauma patients or such. To me, they seem like they are very adept at what they do, however, it's not all the counselor's doing. The person has to actually do the work to change their ways and there have thankfully been success stories.

Sansurecan 10 desperate attention whore postings

08-01-05, 10:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Sansurecan Click to send private message to Sansurecan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
42. "RE: Can't you guys tell that the "life coaches" are exploiting the housemates?"
I was pleased to see the new coaches in this second season and felt it would be an improvement from the first one HUGELY, I don't have alot of faith in how the show works, i.e. I feel much of it is set up for dramatic affect. I also feel it's impossible for most of their problems to be solved in such a short period of time.

>Well I've only seen this last
>season, the one that's aired
>on the WB and reruns
>on TLC. But I
>don't see them as being
>exploited if they chose to
>write to the program and/or
>send a videotape of their
>story and go on national
>tv to share their lives
>with the viewers. I
>actually believe that all three
>staff, rhonda, iyanla, and dr.
>stan do seem like they
>want to genuinely help the
>houseguests get past obstacles.
>And they have some creative
>exercises to help the women
>get past issues and open
>their eyes. I have
>to say that even though
>josie is currently a bartender,
>she seemed to make great
>strides in the house and
>has since completed her animal
>training course and is looking
>for a job with a
>local zoo. People change
>over a period of time.
> I mean many people
>including myself, need to be
>in counseling more than once
>in their lifetimes. And
>an update of jennifer said
>that she's visited her father
>in the prison along with
>her sister who had a
>strained relationship with before.
>
>Tragically rhonda had had a major
>trauma in her life when
>she was a teen.
>She witnessed her father murder
>her mother and then kill
>himself!!! So perhaps that's
>what she meant by being
>an orphan as a child.
> All three 'counselors' have
>had a lot of experience
>in the helping profession, writing
>books and/or working with trauma
>patients or such. To
>me, they seem like they
>are very adept at what
>they do, however, it's not

>all the counselor's doing.
>The person has to actually
>do the work to change
>their ways and there have
>thankfully been success stories.

Solnubis 6 desperate attention whore postings

05-17-05, 05:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Solnubis Click to send private message to Solnubis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Can't you guys tell that the "life coaches" are exploiting the housemates?"
Well I don't happen to agree with you. Maybe I am looking at this in a different angle. Watching this program the last few months has really helped me confront some of my own issues. Like the phobias that Megg has. I have the exact seem ones and to see her ride on an elevator gives me some sort of hope. I can relate so much to her fears and I agree with the coaches there is some underlying issue that she is covering up with these phobias. When I spoke to my therapist today I brought out what I thought it could be and it was the same with me.
I don't believe though that these women can change their lives totally being in SO for the amount of time they are in there. Howeever it's a good start. When they leave SO they have to continue their work. Life is a working process and it never ends until death. So for anyone to think that any of these women will come out and by miracle have no cares in the world is totally unrealistic.
If you ask me would I go in front of millions of people to tell them my bussness I would not do that, but that is me. I'm no judge to each their own. However I am glad that these women have the courage to do it because are helping out so many other women in the world who watch this program. And to tell you the truth I am very grateful for that.

I sincerely feel too that the life coaches are doing an excellent job. I hope the program continues, even though the say that the 3rd season will be on couples. I'm not in a couple situation so I'm not sure how I will like the next season.

jangelvi1 4 desperate attention whore postings

05-30-05, 08:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jangelvi1 Click to send private message to jangelvi1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Can't you guys tell that the "life coaches" are exploiting the housemates?"
I do think that the ladies benefit from the how. The one thing tht is hard for me to understand though, is the idea that everyone is ready to graduate or go into rehab at the same time at the end of the season. Does anyone esle think that it is just too convenient????

cyngee 17 desperate attention whore postings

06-07-05, 07:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cyngee Click to send private message to cyngee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Can't you guys tell that the "life coaches" are exploiting the housemates?"
I too have only been watching for a couple of months. In my city it is shown on the TLC channel and it started in the second season here, I never got to see the first season at all.
I see some of myself in everywoman who is on the show and the problems that they are facing. As they 'get it' I too connect with my own healing. Funny that my finding this show coincided with my beginning to see a therapist. Watching the show is a lot cheaper and sometimes I think it's helped me more!!!!
Boy, would I love to have Iyanla as my coach, I love her real and genuine connection with the woman. She doesn't get 'snowed' or waste any time manuevering through the crap but gets right to it!!
And wonderful Rhonda, it is so fun to see the wonderful exercises she comes up with. What a big heart they all have.

Change the way you look at things and the things you look at change.

SOfan0221 828 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

06-07-05, 08:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SOfan0221 Click to send private message to SOfan0221 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Can't you guys tell that the "life coaches" are exploiting the housemates?"
While I can see your point, I feel a bit different.

SO doesn't promise to make Andy more confident; Towanda an alternative rock star; Josie skinny; Maureen cool, calm and collected. SO gave them an opportunity to address the problems that were affecting their everyday life and allow them coping and problem solving skills to use when they left. SO never promised them a grand life, total happiness, or anything else. SO gives these women a repreive from everyday life, to be with women who are also dealing with issues, and the experiences of life coaches and Dr Stan. What becomes after they graduate is how they apply what they learned.

It is not a cure all. I do not think they are exploited, the women knew going in that what they said, did, how they acted, and any other thing may end up on national television, edits and all. If they had a problem with that or felt exploited in any way, then they should not have gone, easy as that.

As for crying everyday, as a woman sometimes that is the best way to cleanse. Once the crying stops the resolve starts. Most women, myself included, think with their heart not their heads. If you heart says it isn't right, then it probably isn't. When your heart is broken; shattered, wounded, crying out for help then a few days of crying may just be what you need. Many women will not allow themselves to cry, so it all builds up inside. I think of the crying as release.

So my kudos to all involved in SO; the LC's, Dr. Stan, the women, the crew, and production. I love the shows, and feel I get a lot out of them. Some practical to my situation, some I just file back 'in case'.

SOAH 1 desperate attention whore postings

06-07-05, 10:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SOAH Click to send private message to SOAH Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Can't you guys tell that the "life coaches" are exploiting the housemates?"
seems to me that you have a lot of negative things to say about the whole show. why are you watching it then?

i think maybe your negativity at what you are seeing might be because some of the issues that you see being addressed might strike a little too close to home for you, so you find something wrong to pick at about the show, that way you can divert attention away from your really having to deal with the REAL issue.

but what do i know? after all, i'm not a registered psychologist, or a psychiatrist.

it's just an observation.

personally speaking, i think that rhonda and iyanla are doing a great job. most of the women are there because they want to be, and have a sincere interest in wanting to change their lives. a lot of them don't know how. it's about submission, and knowing that your way hasn't been working, and being able to trust someone who has a proven way that does work. iyanla alone is a published author, with many books that support the theories she stands behind. in my opinion, they make a good team. i may not always agree with the way they go about things, but i think the outcome is what is best. and we also have to remember, we are only seeing a very small portion of what is going on at the house. a VERY small portion. i think remembering that is intregal when you make judgements about SO.

i am so looking forward to the next season. i've been able to change some of my ways of thinking in my own life, and i can't wait to see what's coming up next.

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-08-05, 06:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "Please don't bash other posters"
Welcome to the forums. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines - there's a link at the top of the page.

Posters on these forums are welcome to bash shows and their participants. What is not welcome is bashing other posters. Please refrain from making personal statements about another poster, even when you disagree.

jdivagirl40 3 desperate attention whore postings

06-09-05, 01:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jdivagirl40 Click to send private message to jdivagirl40 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Please don't bash other posters"
I'm sorry....
I'll watch it in the future.

jdivagirl40 3 desperate attention whore postings

06-09-05, 00:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jdivagirl40 Click to send private message to jdivagirl40 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Can't you guys tell that the "life coaches" are exploiting the housemates?"
LAST EDITED ON 06-09-05 AT 00:55 AM (EST)

Get a life. It sounds like you need some therapy yourself. Why don't you look at the credentials of the life coaches. I have found their credentials to be pretty impressive.

Sounds like you are a very unhappy person just like Deborah. She was quite the liar and you are quite the JUDGE.

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-20-05, 01:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "WARNING"
Attacking other posters is not allowed per our community guidelines.

Momof2boyz 8 desperate attention whore postings

06-09-05, 08:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Momof2boyz Click to send private message to Momof2boyz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Can't you guys tell that the "life coaches" are exploiting the housemates?"
Do you know what issue of Reader's Digest Deborah was in? I'd like to see if I can find it online.

Sandra 53 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

06-13-05, 03:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sandra Click to send private message to Sandra Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Can't you guys tell that the "life coaches" are exploiting the housemates?"
I can see how it might appear that the coaches are exploiting. Sometimes they can come across as a bit rough and sometimes they have appeared (at least to me) condenscending.

But the fact is, a person can't be exploited unless she allows herself to be. These women went on this show knowing that all their secrets, fears, etc. were going to be laid out there. Yes, it may be mis-represented (As I understand it was with Bethany and her father's "affair." I haven't seen that yet). But the women know the risks they take when they sign on.

I'm sad when I watch these women. Some of them are going through so much pain and/or anger. But as things get better for them, I cry with them. It does my heart good to see women taking such risks to try to help themselves. I'm not sure I'd have that kind of courage.

I agree with those that say they wish they had an Iyanla in their lives. Someone who is always straightforward but offers such unconditional love. I think we all need someone like that in our lives.

Sandy

Solnubis 6 desperate attention whore postings

06-13-05, 04:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Solnubis Click to send private message to Solnubis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Can't you guys tell that the "life coaches" are exploiting the housemates?"
I agree also that I wish I had someone like Iyanla in my life. I need someone who will offer unconditional love and not be critical or judgemental like some people can be. Though I'm not sure I would go on national TV to get the help that I need. So I truly admire these women for having the courage to do so.

sexypoet 2 desperate attention whore postings

06-24-05, 11:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail sexypoet Click to send private message to sexypoet Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Can't you guys tell that the "life coaches" are exploiting the housemates?"
There is someone like that--God

08-01-05, 10:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Sansurecan Click to send private message to Sansurecan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
43. "RE: Can't you guys tell that the "life coaches" are exploiting the housemates?"
It is amazing that people will put their entire lives up there for the world to see, I coudln't do it

San

>I agree also that I wish
>I had someone like Iyanla
>in my life. I need
>someone who will offer unconditional
>love and not be critical
>or judgemental like some people
>can be. Though I'm not
>sure I would go on
>national TV to get the
>help that I need. So
>I truly admire these women
>for having the courage to
>do so.

sh33na 451 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

06-13-05, 07:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sh33na Click to send private message to sh33na Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Can't you guys tell that the "life coaches" are exploiting the housemates?"
What do I think? I think that for someone who rips the show from beginning to end, you sure did watch all the episodes closely.

It's drama. I find it to be very entertaining and I can't wait for the next season.

Moother 132 desperate attention whore postings

06-14-05, 00:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Moother Click to send private message to Moother Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Can't you guys tell that the "life coaches" are exploiting the housemates?"
Seems to me that all of the women going to SO sign on freely and actually can leave if they want. They are exploited in some ways but I think the pay off for them is well worth it for them in the long run. I think some of the things they do is a little cheesy sometimes but I am always amazed at how they pin point a problem and manage to show the person how this is affecting them everyday!

faith1186 3 desperate attention whore postings

06-15-05, 10:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail faith1186 Click to send private message to faith1186 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Can't you guys tell that the "life coaches" are exploiting the housemates?"
I've watched this show for two yrs now, and I am convinced that the women on the show have benefited by participating.
Rhonda & Iyanla are remarkable women, who through surviving devastating life events, are role models to us all.
Not to mention, I believe Rhonda has completely "The Course in Miracles". If any of you are familiar with the "Course", you know that provides credentials beyond any academic course.

funny 61 desperate attention whore postings

06-15-05, 01:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail funny Click to send private message to funny Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Can't you guys tell that the "life coaches" are exploiting the housemates?"
i love rhonda and iyanla what they do is amazing and it is not allways pretty i love how real they are.

Moondreamer 18 desperate attention whore postings

06-21-05, 10:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Moondreamer Click to send private message to Moondreamer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Can't you guys tell that the "life coaches" are exploiting the housemates?"
>I've watched this show for two
>yrs now, and I am
>convinced that the women on
>the show have benefited by
>participating.
>Rhonda & Iyanla are remarkable women,
>who through surviving devastating life
>events, are role models to
>us all.
>Not to mention, I believe Rhonda
>has completely "The Course in
>Miracles". If any of
>you are familiar with the
>"Course", you know that provides
>credentials beyond any academic course.
>
I've done The Course in Miracles, was disappointed. Found it extremely repetitive, basically saying nothing more than God is Love, love is God, anything other than love is an illusion. And if everyone believed that with all their hearts life would be perfect. It's been 15 years since I completed it. I thought it was brainwashing in a large way.

The problem with SO is that they have a "fast food" mentality about psychological, emotional healing. It can't, be, and hasn't been done in 6 weeks. Old habits, old thinking patterns take a lot of time, work, dilligence to change. I have yet to meet someone who suffered incest rape or childhood molestation that had a complete, or large recovery in a mere 6 weeks of psycho babble and psyche-crafts.

06-22-05, 12:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sh33na Click to send private message to sh33na Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Can't you guys tell that the "life coaches" are exploiting the housemates?"
It is true that many issues cannot be neatly wrapped up in 6 weeks. I think what this show does is steer people in the right direction. It gives people hope - that there is help out there and that someone sitting at home can know that he/she is not the only one in the world dealing with these problems.

The housemates aren't supposed to stop working on themselves when they graduate. It is only a beginning for them. They have to do the work.

Getting more tools to work with is a good thing, IMNSHO.

08-01-05, 10:31 AM (EST)
44. "RE: Can't you guys tell that the "life coaches" are exploiting the housemates?"
Does anyone know if they have continued counselling/coaching from the show? I know some of them are given sessions and such in their hometowns as part of their parting gift.

>It is true that many issues
>cannot be neatly wrapped up
>in 6 weeks. I think
>what this show does is
>steer people in the right
>direction. It gives people hope
>- that there is help
>out there and that someone
>sitting at home can know
>that he/she is not the
>only one in the world
>dealing with these problems.
>
>The housemates aren't supposed to stop
>working on themselves when they
>graduate. It is only a
>beginning for them. They have
>to do the work.
>
>Getting more tools to work with
>is a good thing, IMNSHO.
>

fusermic7996 2 desperate attention whore postings

06-23-05, 06:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail fusermic7996 Click to send private message to fusermic7996 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Can't you guys tell that the "life coaches" are exploiting the housemates?"
I think you are right on target. Neither one of the life coaches seems to have any kind of college education. (I checked bios and did not see any BA/MBA in Psychology or Psychiatry) I read somewhere that Iyanla has an honorary doctorate in letter writing (what? are you kidding? there's a school for that????????) The only one with any kind of education/expertise is Dr. Stan. Poor Dr. Stan, though, he's just Rhonda and Iyanla's whipping boy on the show. I guess they just threw in a man for good measure (or to be politically correct).

Seems to me the life coaches are cashing in on Starting Over. I don't feel they are in it to help anyone. They are rude and self-centered. They are just expanding their careers. That's it. It's all about them. I feel sorry for people that think they will be helped. Some of the candidates would really benefit from true therapy by licensed therapist. Again, it's all about making money. Anyone want to take a Fear seminar from our life coach Rhonda? It'll cost ya $500! Want to become a life coach through Rhonda's teachings? It'll cost $3,000! I guess anyone can be a life coach if you're MAC/Visa is ready and willing!

The whole show is a joke - people just want to go on to become famous that's it! No one really wants to work on themselves. It's all about 15 minutes of fame. If you notice all the women now have their own websites. Would anyone even care about these people if it hadn't been for the show? People really need to get over themselves and if they want to become actors they need to go to school for Drama and then move to NY or LA. Being on a reality show does not make for the next Renee Zellweger.

Oh, and another thing...Don't forget this show is produced by Bunim/Murray - The same people that produced shows on MTV such as Real World and Real World/Road Rules Battle of the Sexes. Starting Over might as well be titled Real World with Women. It's no different.

superMommyintraining 71 desperate attention whore postings

06-23-05, 07:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail superMommyintraining Click to send private message to superMommyintraining Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Can't you guys tell that the "life coaches" are exploiting the housemates?"
i don't know... i think that it's a good show because a lot of viewers really do benefit from the show. plus, the alternative would probably be another soap. i personally have recognized so many things about myself that need improving by watching the women and lc on SO. i do think it is unfortunate that the family members of the ppl on the show who don't want to participate don't having much choice in what is told about them on national television. i think that the women who go to SO gain a lot, if they try, and some fame to boot.

of self! hehe they gain a lot of SELF!

Sandra 53 desperate attention whore postings

06-24-05, 10:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Sandra Click to send private message to Sandra Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Can't you guys tell that the "life coaches" are exploiting the housemates?"
>The whole show is a joke - people just want to go on to become >famous that's it! No one really wants to work on themselves. >It's all about 15 minutes of fame. If you notice all the
>women now have their own websites. Would anyone even
>care about these people if it hadn't been for the show? People >really need to get over themselves and if they want to become
>actors they need to go to school for Drama and then move to NY >or LA. Being on a reality show does not make for the next Renee >Zellweger.

I'm not trying to start an argument. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I respect yours. I just have to ask something. If you think the show is such a joke, why watch it? I'm sure there are better things you can do with your time that will make you happy. If you don't watch it, why post this and try to ruin it for those of us that do like the show?

Like I said, I'm not trying to argue. I just don't understand the point of your post.

Sandy

fusermic7996 2 desperate attention whore postings

06-28-05, 02:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail fusermic7996 Click to send private message to fusermic7996 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Can't you guys tell that the "life coaches" are exploiting the housemates?"
Sandy,

I understand your point, here's the thing... - I'm sick of people using their problems to become 2nd class TV personalities. (If they really wanted help why not keep it private?)

If you've noticed... every reality show out there is the same. People are all in it to get their 15 minutes. Perfect example is Trista from the The Bachelorette. Have you noticed now she is on Dancing With the Stars? I mean, come on - who is this girl anyway? What has she done - and what makes her a star? I bet if you asked Kimmie or Jennifer from Starting Over if they would like to be on another reality series the guaranteed answer would be a resounding "yes."

P.S. I've been watching the History Channel alot more lately.

ariarnalatrice 18 desperate attention whore postings

06-24-05, 02:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ariarnalatrice Click to send private message to ariarnalatrice Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Can't you guys tell that the "life coaches" are exploiting the housemates?"
I think it is a little of everything. I understand how you feel, but at the same time they chose to come on the show.

DisabledAndHomelessWhileSonInComa 14 desperate attention whore postings

06-28-05, 01:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DisabledAndHomelessWhileSonInComa Click to send private message to DisabledAndHomelessWhileSonInComa Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "A Totally Different experience"
LAST EDITED ON 06-28-05 AT 02:01 PM (EST)

As a former abused child, raped adult, I am quite sensitive to anyone who is condescending about my internal landscape. I never saw any exploitation. (not you, the life coaches)

I must say I had a totally different experience than yours regarding "exploitation". Perhaps you are projecting and/or filtering?

Peace to you always as we agree to disagree.

Crimegirl 4 desperate attention whore postings

06-28-05, 10:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Crimegirl Click to send private message to Crimegirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Can't you guys tell that the "life coaches" are exploiting the housemates?"
Hi,

I just found the show and I find Iyalana to be more real then the other. Iyalanna pulls from past experience and I feel she is as honest as a person can be when helping these woman. You have made some vaid points and I look forward to seeing the show unravel as it plays.

I honestly think these ladies know what they are getting themselves into when they sign on.

Mmae64 37 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

07-30-05, 03:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Mmae64 Click to send private message to Mmae64 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Can't you guys tell that the "life coaches" are exploiting the housemates?"
I think the personalities of the housemates are chosen to produce conflict and ratings.

I think there's a lot of editing, good and bad, to incite interest and ratings.

But I also have found that some of the issues they've dealt with (okay not in season 2) are issues that hit close to home for me, and made me think.

This ain't PBS. They have to get RATINGS and advertising.

MeghanS 1 desperate attention whore postings

07-30-05, 04:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MeghanS Click to send private message to MeghanS Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "Disagree Completely"
The reason this show is aired over national televion is twofold: one to help the housemates individually and also to help the viewers. The show is called STARTING Over, with emphasis on the starting. They decide when the women have devoped a strong enough foundation to continue their life progress (hence graduation) or are not really ready yet and need other types of therapies (such as rehab, etc.) As someone who has been actively working on her life progress and healing, this show came at a perfect time for me and has clarified many aspects of myself that I had not yet identified. Due to inspiration from this show (among other factors) I will start my journey in education to become a life coach myself. And the program is no easy feat (the one I'm enrolled in, anyway.) I've seen Iyanla speak live and her power is no joke. The strength in energy in the room in unbelievable. She has also made appearances on Oprah and around the world. As for the "stone-cold look in their eyes"...I can't see it. Maybe you're referring to the tough love that is absolutely necessary for change in many situaions. I'm sorry that SO has not impacted you the way it has for me. Everyone deserves to find whatever they need to be their best self, and the goal of Starting Over is to help people realize that the power truly lies within (with, of course, some help from the outside.) That's how I feel, and I hope you find an approach that does suit your needs.

Peace,
Meghan

07-30-05, 05:26 PM (EST)
31. "RE: Disagree Completely"
>The reason this show is aired
>over national televion is twofold:
>one to help the housemates
>individually and also to help
>the viewers.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but the #1 reason the show is aired over national television is ratings.

Welcome to the forum!

chris555 112 desperate attention whore postings

07-30-05, 06:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail chris555 Click to send private message to chris555 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "#1 Reason"

> I don't necessarily disagree with you, but the #1 reason the show is >aired over national television is ratings.

I would suggest fame and fortune. The ratings are a necessity to aquire those higher goals.

07-30-05, 07:35 PM (EST)
34. "RE: #1 Reason"
If it didn't get ratings, it wouldn't air nationally - and I'm not sure it does air nationally quite yet. The F&F, if they come, come because it airs.

Not to pick a nit or anything.

07-30-05, 08:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail chris555 Click to send private message to chris555 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
35. "RE: #1 Reason"
sh33na, Ratings are so basic. Every commercial tv show needs advertising sponsors to pay the bills. Why is this mentioned as if it is something unique for this program? I'm not trying to be argumentative, but what am I missing here.

07-31-05, 01:11 AM (EST)
36. "RE: #1 Reason"
The previous poster started out saying:

>The reason this show is aired over national
>televion is twofold: one to help the housemates
>individually and also to help the viewers.

I had just read an article about the show being seen in 92% of the US now, which is an increase. When the show first started, many areas didn't show it.

So my point was that it is being shown "nationally" now because ratings were good and more stations picked up the show. They didn't pick up the show to "help" people.

I do think it helps people, and I said I didn't disagree with the post's points.

I do disagree with your fame and fortune comment, but maybe I don't understand it. Fame and fortune are not the reason it airs. They may be a result of the airings, though.

'k?

07-31-05, 08:37 AM (EST)
37. "RE: #1 Reason"
I got it! It seems to me that one of us is using "reason" as a noun and the other one is using it as a verb. I think we're both correct. I promise to quit splitting hairs and move on. By the way, I like the show and I don't think the HG are being exploited.

'k!

07-31-05, 12:04 PM (EST)
38. "RE: #1 Reason"
'k! I was the one nitpicking.

I like the show, too, and I *DO* think it helps people, though not necessarily the women on the show so much. It has helped me take a look at some things about m'self.

I've been laid up off and on for several months now (4 surgeries in 5 months) and not able to go to my twice-a-month visit to my psychologist. SO has been my substitute. It's like being in a group without having to be there. I can tell them all what I think of 'em.

Sheena, Self Actualizing as we speak ...

07-31-05, 01:36 PM (EST)
39. "RE: #1 Reason"
Sheena, therapy is a good thing. Some would say I made a career of it, but who cares. That is why I look forward to the show. I, too, have picked up so much from SO that was not covered in my therapy.

Some of the skills/tools I learned many years ago did not become a part of my behavior until more recently, or maybe I'm a slow learner or just stubborn. I hope it will be true for the HG...that their 'therapy' and healing will continue once they leave the SO House. I go back to a therapist periodically for a 'refresher course' or to discuss the latest trauma, which happens at this time to be a fatal disease. Life sucks and then you die. Chris

08-01-05, 10:36 AM (EST)
45. "RE: Disagree Completely"
absolutely, it's all about money!

San

>>The reason this show is aired
>>over national televion is twofold:
>>one to help the housemates
>>individually and also to help
>>the viewers.
>
>I don't necessarily disagree with you,
>but the #1 reason the
>show is aired over national
>television is ratings.
>
>Welcome to the forum!
>
>

celendine 14 desperate attention whore postings

07-30-05, 05:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail celendine Click to send private message to celendine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: Can't you guys tell that the "life coaches" are exploiting the housemates?"
well, what do you expect? It is TV.. editing and possibly scripting. They are going to play up the drama.. that is what gets ratings, ratings make money. If they showed all the boring stuff.. no one wants to see that. and who would get stirred up on the message boards?

As far as the life changing goes.. you can lead a horse to water but you cant make her drink. Nobody waved a magic wand over these people's heads and deemed them perfect. All they can do is teach skills.. it is up to the women to use them.

we are all works in the making. always room for improvement

SpoonStruck 290 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

07-31-05, 11:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SpoonStruck Click to send private message to SpoonStruck Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
40. "RE: Can't you guys tell that the "life coaches" are exploiting the housemates?"
"The idea of the show is that these ladies will become their true selves by the end of their stay in the house. This is done through symbolic game-like rituals and confessing all your faults to a "life-coach" while you're sobbing like child as part of your therapy. After the "therapy" has reached a certain intensity, suddenly out of nowhere - a graduation is anounced. Have they realy changed their life?"

This show, like Dr. Phil, is inherently exploitive. However, I think anybody who volunteers to go on TV to seek help for their problems is made aware of the fact that they're being exploited. The problem is that HGs don't have control over the editing, so I doubt any of them realize just how badly they MAY be exploited -- like Sommer was.

"Once Rhonda said that she had issues with her father when the housemates were talking about their fathers in this season. But the last season Rhonda told one of the housemates who was an orphan that - Rhonda was an orphan, too. Don't you think that's kind of fucked up? What kind of a person would lie like that? I thought that a "life coach" was supposed be an expert at being her true self."

I have mixed feelings about Rhonda. But I don't think she was lying. When she was a young teenager, her mom was an abused wife and left the abusive husband (Rhonda's father). While he was living out of the house, he came over--supposedly for a Fathers' Day brunch. Minutes after he arrived, he shot Rhonda's mom twice, murdering her, and then murdered himself in front of Rhonda by shooting himself in the head. Rhonda had both issues with her father AND she (and her sisters) were orphaned. This story is widely reported about Rhonda. I don't think she could be lying about it, but then I could be gullible.

Besides a bare minimum of training, it is widely known that the most important component of whether or not a therapist will help a person depends upon if the person's and the therapist's personalities are a match. Obviously Rhonda can't be a match for everybody. My problem is that the LCs NEVER admit their limitations to help somebody. The ethical thing to do would have been for Rhonda and IV to ADMIT TRUTHFULLY that they didn't have the "tools" and "skills" to help Sommer, and then they should have announced this fact and referred Sommer to someone who could help her. Instead, both the LCs were unethical in setting Sommer up as the fall gal or scapegoat.

Like others have mentioned, when I saw Rhonda peg Sommer as Hester Prynn with the Scarlet "A", I knew Rhonda was displacing some of Rhonda's own mental chaos onto Sommer.

No doubt Rhonda has a problem with being really honest herself. One thing she talks about in her stories is that when she was in college, she moved across the country to be with this guy, who supposedly loved her. When he dumped her, Rhonda called up a friend and LIED and said she had taken an overdose when she really hadn't. But because Rhonda didn't want to be pegged as a liar, when the friend said the ambulance was on the way over, THEN Rhonda went and took an overdose. She would rather have risked being dead than being caught in a lie. That shows me that a person so on-guard about how "honest" they are is probably operating from a lot of dishonesty.

That incident happened when Rhonda was very young, so I'd like to think that Rhonda has grown into a more trustworthy and truthful person. I don't know. It must have been very hard for her to live the years of lying by omission, when she felt too ashamed to tell her school friends what really happened to her parents. She probably got into the dishonest habit in her identity formative years, so it could have taken a long time for Rhonda to get real. I hope she has. But being real doesn't mean she has perfect judgment. Obviously she doesn't

08-01-05, 11:34 AM (EST)
46. "RE: Can't you guys tell that the "life coaches" are exploiting the housemates?"
Where did you find those quotes? I haven't read much about Rhonda or Iyanla, just some blurbs on their websites.

08-01-05, 12:33 PM (EST)
47. "RE: Can't you guys tell that the "life coaches" are exploiting the housemates?"
I think those quotes are from message #1.

08-01-05, 12:55 PM (EST)
48. "RE: Can't you guys tell that the "life coaches" are exploiting the housemates?"
Oh, geeze. How dense am I? Thanks, Chris. I need more coffee!

SpoonStruck 290 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

08-01-05, 01:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SpoonStruck Click to send private message to SpoonStruck Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
41. "RE: Can't you guys tell that the "life coaches" are exploiting the housemates?"
I'll tell you one thing that really got to me about how the LCs exploit the HGs. Not too long ago (season 2 reruns), Iylana came down on Kim. IV gave a big speech about how hateful and hurtful gossip was. But then the LCs set the HGs up to be gossiped about. It seems if the gossip fits into what a LC feels, then it's not really gossip.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •