The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"HELP - suggestions for presents"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-27-07, 05:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"HELP - suggestions for presents"
OTers were of great assistance with this a couple of years ago, so here I am again. My friends are having a birthday party in August for their daughter who is now turning 11. They also have a daughter who is 8, and, as I haven't seen them for couple of years, I would bring presents for both girls.

So, OT parents with kids in this age range -- help me out. What are kids into these days? Also, these girls tend to get a lot of presents, so I'm thinking about slightly off-the-beaten-track ideas, as they may have a lot of whatever's popular already (or someone else would be likely to get it for them).

I know you guys will come up with some great ideas!

Blowin' the blues away, courtesy of tribephyl

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: HELP - suggestions for presents agman 06-27-07 1
   RE: HELP - suggestions for presents agman 06-27-07 2
 RE: HELP - suggestions for presents ginger 06-27-07 3
   RE: HELP - suggestions for presents Snidget 06-27-07 4
       RE: HELP - suggestions for presents Seana 06-27-07 7
 RE: HELP - suggestions for presents kingfish 06-27-07 5
 RE: HELP - suggestions for presents Seana 06-27-07 6
   RE: HELP - suggestions for presents qwertypie 06-27-07 9
       RE: HELP - suggestions for presents Snidget 06-27-07 10
       RE: HELP - suggestions for presents Sagebrush Dan 06-27-07 11
 RE: HELP - suggestions for presents CutsyTootsy 06-27-07 8
   RE: HELP - suggestions for presents Seana 06-27-07 12
   Yep get them Webkins Breezy 06-28-07 13
 RE: HELP - suggestions for presents txmomma26 06-28-07 14
 RE: HELP - suggestions for presents Lisapooh 06-28-07 15
   RE: HELP - suggestions for presents weltek 06-28-07 18
   RE: HELP - suggestions for presents Silvergirl1 06-28-07 19
 RE: HELP - suggestions for presents Brownroach 06-28-07 16
 RE: HELP - suggestions for presents Cyndimaus 06-28-07 17

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

agman 11166 desperate attention whore postings

06-27-07, 05:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail agman Click to send private message to agman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: HELP - suggestions for presents"
I know my daughter(age 9) and her friends love any device that allows them to text message each other. I forget the name of the latest one(I'm sure someone will remember) but my daughter's best friend has one of those. These are not phones, they are just like mini keyboards. They tend to be very expensive so I'm not sure how you feel about that. Do you know if she is artistic or if she likes any outdoor activities? I will try and come up with some more ideas(and proper names of my suggestions )

Shar's Short boards

agman 11166 desperate attention whore postings

06-27-07, 05:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail agman Click to send private message to agman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: HELP - suggestions for presents"
here's a link for text messaging devices which may or may not help you

http://www.familytravelforum.com/articles/article/10041

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

06-27-07, 05:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: HELP - suggestions for presents"
I have yet to meet a human over the age of 7 who does not appreciate cash.

Also, an Amazon gift certificate leaves a wide range of options.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

06-27-07, 05:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: HELP - suggestions for presents"
Gift cards to the nearest Borders/Barnes and Noble/Mall was at the top of my list.

At that age some kids don't like the same thing between when you ask them what they want and when the event is.

Kids that age also seem to love having their own money to spend on what they want so that is an extra bonus.

Seana 5044 desperate attention whore postings

06-27-07, 06:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Seana Click to send private message to Seana Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: HELP - suggestions for presents"
All very true. And for some reason, they seem to really like when you direct them to a particular store.

kingfish 20752 desperate attention whore postings

06-27-07, 05:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: HELP - suggestions for presents"
LAST EDITED ON 06-27-07 AT 06:04 PM (EST)

I've been buying for girls about that old for a few years, and the answer has been either Game boy games (if they are into that), or Bratz toys. Small horses, model dolls, and tons of accessories. If you want to stun them with awesome stuff like this, get the Hair Salon kit, or any of the other kits that come in big boxes (the bigger the box, the better), and have lots of pieces. I was a god for a few days after I lugged one of those things over.

I also attained god status when I bought a Dancing Barbie Ballerina. Don't know if they still sell those.

And if you ever want to get puffed up with feel-good, get one or both of those little girls to elevate you to god status. It's a nice feeling.

If they are into reading (and lots of girls that age are), Gift cards are the way to go, they will have their own likes in literature.

Oh, hell, BR, you know you want to get them trumpets, right? Go ahead, their parents will make sure you aren't on any gift giving lists in the future. Maybe you'll set loose a couple of Louise Armstrong's.

06-27-07, 06:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Seana Click to send private message to Seana Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: HELP - suggestions for presents"
My DD is 8. She is very crafty, so she often receives craft kits. Rose Art and Crayola are good brands for those. Michael's stores will carry these brands, as well as other items you wouldn't think of.

For example, there are kits for...

...making dolls, candles, sand art, flowers of all kinds, dreamcatchers, stationery, pens, keychains, jewelry
...painting posters, rocks, suncatchers

How about a plug-and-play video game? They're fairly reasonably priced, though still more than I would personally spend in your situation.

OK. Off the beaten track. Maybe:
Movie tickets
Tickets to a show
Keyboard or musical intstrument in your price range
Bedroom accessories: funky lamp, chair or pillow, beads for the doorway

qwertypie 9776 desperate attention whore postings

06-27-07, 07:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: HELP - suggestions for presents"
I was going to suggest crafty things too, but FOR THE LOVE OF COD -- NO BEADS!!!!!!!!!

DD convinced babysitter to open one of the packages. The box, once opened could not be shut again. DS ran by, grabbed the tray of beads and dumped them in his room, about 1/2 into the laundry hamper. DS and youngest DD has a great time stuffing beads into orifices (including a large E up DD's nose which required an ER visit), down heating vents, undeneath the carpet where it was starting to pull away from the floor, in cold air returns, in shoes -- let's just say they were very creative and I was finding beads in DS's diaper for many days. When we got home, DH went to check on DS in the dark and almost wiped out from all the beads still on the floor. Thankfully, they had opened the 15 000 bead tray and not the 35 000 bead tray. As much as DH was begging me, I just couldn't bring myself to re-gift the 35 000 beads when my niece turned 6.

Craft stores also have gifts certificates. Or if they would like to get into scapbooking, you could buy them some disposable cameras and basic scrap booking stuff.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

06-27-07, 07:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: HELP - suggestions for presents"
*cleaning off my monitor*

Summertribe and the living is easy!

Sagebrush Dan 10002 desperate attention whore postings

06-27-07, 07:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sagebrush%20Dan Click to send private message to Sagebrush%20Dan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: HELP - suggestions for presents"
Never a dull moment in the qwertypie household! lol

Transcribed by Sharnina

More wagging, less barking.

CutsyTootsy 1795 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

06-27-07, 06:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CutsyTootsy Click to send private message to CutsyTootsy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: HELP - suggestions for presents"
LAST EDITED ON 06-27-07 AT 06:19 PM (EST)

Well, my girls (12 and 10) like:

Webkinz - stuffed animals with a code to play online
Blokus- a board game that's fun and yet a thinking game
Craft kits of any kind
Gift cards - especially Barnes&Noble or Amazon.

Hope that helps!

edited for speeling

06-27-07, 09:19 PM (EST)
12. "RE: HELP - suggestions for presents"
Is Blokus anything like Cadoo? DD *loves* Cadoo.

I've never seen Webkinz, but Tamagotchis were really big for about 6 months here. The best part, apparently, was that you could go to Tamagotchi Town online and get codes for accessories. When you plugged the code into the Tamagotchi, your virtual pet would get toys to play with and such.

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings

06-28-07, 08:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "Yep get them Webkins"
They are all the rage right now, and the girls are the perfect age for them. Do they have a home computer they're allowed to use? With Webkins they have a code that you go to their website and put in, then they're stuffed animal comes alive on the computer. They can play games, earn money and shop for their new "pet".

Also the website is very safe.

Save a horse, ride a cowboy.

txmomma26 5825 desperate attention whore postings

06-28-07, 08:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail txmomma26 Click to send private message to txmomma26 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: HELP - suggestions for presents"
My DD is a bit younger (7), but she and her friends are all into Bratz crap, horses, books, simple jigsaw puzzles and crafty stuff. OH! And hair accessories, braiding kits, play makeup, and simplistic sewing kits. The crafty stuff - especially jewelry kits - are always the biggest hit.

Another beautiful masterpiece by Syren

Lisapooh 12664 desperate attention whore postings

06-28-07, 08:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Lisapooh Click to send private message to Lisapooh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: HELP - suggestions for presents"
My daughter just turned 11 a few weeks ago (photographic evidence supplied by proud mommy here)

This year she wanted mostly movies and clothes. A few suggestions would be gift cards to Blockbuster, etc. And also clothing/accessories stores like Justice, Limited Too, Claires & Libby Lu's (aka crack for 'tweens). Subscriptions to magazines is another thing McKenna wanted - she loves Discover Girls and J-14. She got a rock tumbler for Christmas and has made lots of jewelry with it - it's been a surprisingly big hit although it takes forever to get the rocks to a polished stage, not good for kids into instant gratification..

For the 8-year old Webkinz or Rescue Pets are perfect for that age - I don't know of a little girl who doesn't love them.

Also, McKenna got a karaoke machine for Christmas - I don't care what age of kid is in our house, that machine comes down and they play with it for hours. It wasn't super expensive so it could be a gift for both. Target, etc sell additional CDs that play in the machines.

Happy shopping Brownroach!

weltek 16936 desperate attention whore postings

06-28-07, 11:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: HELP - suggestions for presents"
McKenna is a beautiful girl! I love her glasses. My niece is 12 and I agree about all the suggestions you gave. She still loves being a kid, but is getting into shopping for clothes and such.

Silvergirl1 9342 desperate attention whore postings

06-28-07, 01:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Silvergirl1 Click to send private message to Silvergirl1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: HELP - suggestions for presents"

I love this picture. McKenna is looking so grown up and thin. She's gorgeous.

My DD is 17 and loves Dance Factory for the PS2. They also make karoke games.

A 2007 Sharnina original

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

06-28-07, 09:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: HELP - suggestions for presents"
LAST EDITED ON 06-28-07 AT 10:01 AM (EST)

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. Wow, lots of good ideas here, I'm sure I will be able to find something appropriate for both girls. I wasn't thinking of gift cards only because at past parties they always got actual physical items. But since a number of you mentioned them I may go that route.

As far as things that require a computer, I'm not sure. The parents are somewhat, though not overly, strict about what they are allowed to do, so I don't know how much computer access they have at home. I suppose I could ask if certain items would be okay. I have a feeling they wouldn't be keen on texting apparati.

They have a piano in the house and both parents are into music and theater as performers, so I think if either of the girls are creative that way it would be covered already.

I will look into the Webkinz and also the games and crafts and other items mentioned. Thanks again, you are all smacktabulous!!

ETA: and I *won't* be getting anything with beads, thank you very much qwertypie.

Blowin' the blues away, courtesy of tribephyl

Cyndimaus 3117 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

06-28-07, 10:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Cyndimaus Click to send private message to Cyndimaus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: HELP - suggestions for presents"
My friend has two daughters ages 12 and 9 and they both love the Littlest Pet Shop stuff. (I think I got the name right) They carry the animals around with them all over the place.

I've seen kits in the stores to make braclets and different girly things like that. I think there were even some to make belts and stuff.

(I have all boys so I am only going by the little I've observed in my friend's daughters)

Juicy summer sig by Sharnina

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •