The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Birthing question"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

weltek 16936 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-31-07, 12:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Birthing question"
A friend just had a baby, which had to be delivered via c-section. Based on her story, it sounds like it was a c-section due to mom pushing forever and baby not coming out, not a health risk to mom or baby that was present.

So I ask, is it a health risk to the mother or baby to remain in the pushing stage for a long time? Or just really painful and exhausting?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Birthing question cahaya 05-31-07 1
   RE: Birthing question syren 05-31-07 17
 RE: Birthing question Snidget 05-31-07 2
 RE: Birthing question thndrkttn 05-31-07 3
 RE: Birthing question qwertypie 05-31-07 4
 RE: Birthing question ginger 05-31-07 5
 RE: Birthing question Max Headroom 05-31-07 6
 RE: Birthing question arkiegrl 05-31-07 7
   RE: Birthing question MKitty 05-31-07 23
       RE: Birthing question arkiegrl 05-31-07 29
 RE: Birthing question greenmonstah 05-31-07 8
   RE: Birthing question weltek 05-31-07 9
       RE: Birthing question arkiegrl 05-31-07 11
           RE: Birthing question cahaya 05-31-07 12
           RE: Birthing question weltek 05-31-07 15
       RE: Birthing question thndrkttn 05-31-07 14
 RE: Birthing question weltek 05-31-07 10
 Answering before reading... Breezy 05-31-07 13
   RE: Answering before reading... Seana 05-31-07 16
 RE: Birthing question Tinkerbell 05-31-07 18
   RE: Birthing question dragonflies 05-31-07 20
 Just Checking zombiebaby 05-31-07 19
   Ahem SilverStar 06-01-07 32
 RE: Birthing question frodis 05-31-07 21
   RE: Birthing question weltek 05-31-07 22
 RE: Birthing question MKitty 05-31-07 24
 RE: Birthing question frankz 05-31-07 25
   RE: Birthing question MKitty 05-31-07 27
 Another point... rasslinmomma 05-31-07 26
 RE: Birthing question Bebo 05-31-07 28
   RE: Birthing question arkiegrl 05-31-07 30
       RE: Birthing question qwertypie 06-01-07 31
 RE: Birthing question kingfish 06-03-07 33
   RE: Birthing question weltek 06-04-07 34
       RE: Birthing question kingfish 06-04-07 35

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

05-31-07, 12:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Birthing question"
My DW had a prolonged labor that eventually led to fetal distress. It was at that point that they decided to deliver via c-section.

Foo dogs by tribe.

syren 5418 desperate attention whore postings

05-31-07, 02:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail syren Click to send private message to syren Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Birthing question"
Syrenboy went into respiratory distress, which resulted in my c-section.

What?

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

05-31-07, 12:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Birthing question"
I thought in some cases it can be a health risk, not just simple exhaustion. Sometime the baby won't come out and I think they often monitor for distress in the fetus and if it takes too long and the baby starts to have problems they will go to surgery rather than risk waiting longer.

Summertribe and the living is easy!

thndrkttn 3216 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

05-31-07, 12:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail thndrkttn Click to send private message to thndrkttn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Birthing question"
My mom was in labor with me for 33 hours before they decided to do a C section. I just wasn't going to come out that direction. My head had to be gently reshaped from all the pushing. My dad said my head was shaped like a boot. *rolleyes* Neither of us were in danger but my mom was EXHAUSTED. Both brothers were C-sections after that.

qwertypie 9776 desperate attention whore postings

05-31-07, 12:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Birthing question"
During every contraction the oxygen gets cut off to the fetus. When the contractions are 90 seconds long and coming (from start of one to the start of the other) every 2 minutes, eventually it will cause fetal distress. There is also the worry that the baby's shoulders will get stuck once the head is delivered so some c-sections are done as a preventative.

It really depends on the situation. All I know is that your friend must be super sore and tired. Pamper her all you can

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

05-31-07, 12:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Birthing question"
As someone who went in at 9 centimeters dilated, and remained there for 24 hours before they hooked up the fetal heart monitor and realized there was an umbilical cord issue, I will say that it can be very dangerous for the baby as well as pretty horrible for the (foolishly drug-free) mom.

So worth it, though.

Max Headroom 10069 desperate attention whore postings

05-31-07, 12:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Birthing question"
DW has had multiple c-sections. The first was due to fetal distress and happened soon after our arrival at the hospital, and the rest were planned because VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean) comes with extra risks.

arkiegrl 9421 desperate attention whore postings

05-31-07, 01:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail arkiegrl Click to send private message to arkiegrl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Birthing question"
I don't know nuthin' 'bout birthin' no babies.

MKitty 2976 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

05-31-07, 04:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MKitty Click to send private message to MKitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Birthing question"
I was soooo waiting for someone to go there...

05-31-07, 10:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail arkiegrl Click to send private message to arkiegrl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Birthing question"
I'm surprised it took 30 minutes. I really expected it to be one of the first two replies.

greenmonstah 10761 desperate attention whore postings

05-31-07, 01:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail greenmonstah Click to send private message to greenmonstah Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Birthing question"
Yes. Yes.

Wow! Now that? Was refreshing. I just spent the entire morning saying no, no, and no again to an overtired, small, enraged person who insists on putting his striderites on his sister's face, the dogs, the furniture...

05-31-07, 01:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Birthing question"
Responding to this thread makes you pregnant.

05-31-07, 01:20 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Birthing question"
You just responded. Does that mean you're preggers now?

And what about the men that respond? Do they become some miracle of science?

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

05-31-07, 01:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Birthing question"
Miracle? Science? In the same sentence? Hah!

Foo dogs by tribe.

Let's just say us some of us guys do our part (granted, the easiest part).

05-31-07, 01:40 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Birthing question"
I'm exempt.

thndrkttn 3216 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

05-31-07, 01:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail thndrkttn Click to send private message to thndrkttn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Birthing question"
"Responding to this thread makes you pregnant.

GAK!! Bite your tongue!!!! I would be less than pleased to think that last night's activities were going to have reprecussions. Yikes!

05-31-07, 01:17 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Birthing question"
Such a smahhht bunch of peeps here. I didn't realize that oxygen gets cut off with each contraction, or whatever that was. Super interesting.

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings

05-31-07, 01:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "Answering before reading..."
Only because I think I know the answer!

When I had DD, I almost had to have a C-section. It had been 24 hours since my water broke when she finally popped out. The dr and nurses told me if she didn't come out then, we'd have to do a C-section becuase of it being 24 hours since my water broke.

Now I'll read the other answers.

Seana 5044 desperate attention whore postings

05-31-07, 02:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Seana Click to send private message to Seana Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Answering before reading..."
Yes, there's certainly an issue with timing after your water breaks. With DS, my water partially broke in the morning. Apparently, you can get bubbles of amniotic fluid on the outside of the sac which will burst. Anyway, because we weren't exactly sure what burst and exactly when, I had to get an IV with antibiotics.

Wheel of tribe

Tinkerbell 1587 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

05-31-07, 03:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tinkerbell Click to send private message to Tinkerbell Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Birthing question"
I pushed for 3 1/2 hours for BabyTink (who is not quite a baby anymore *sniff*). They finally sucked her out with a vacuum. If that wouldn't have worked it would've been a forceps or a C-section. Her heart rate decelled during every contraction. SCARY stuff!

dragonflies 8051 desperate attention whore postings

05-31-07, 03:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dragonflies Click to send private message to dragonflies Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Birthing question"
That sounds similar to me. I pushed with my 2nd, after having an emergency csection wtih the 1st, for 2 1/2 hours. She too was pulled out with the vacuum. Thought I was gonna die. I was foolishly without drugs.

Tribe says I'm subtle but dangerous.
Hi Tink!

zombiebaby 7356 desperate attention whore postings

05-31-07, 03:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zombiebaby Click to send private message to zombiebaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "Just Checking"
To see if anyone called dibs on the placenta.

Agstah is washing her hair tonight.

SilverStar 6205 desperate attention whore postings

06-01-07, 02:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SilverStar Click to send private message to SilverStar Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "Ahem"
I did not wash my hair with placenta. I softened my hair with it. I could use another treatment though, this humidity is making my hair frizzified.

Handcrafted by RollDdice, Inspired by Monstah
*whack*

frodis 4442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

05-31-07, 03:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frodis Click to send private message to frodis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Birthing question"
I think everyone has answered this pretty thoroughly already, but I like an opportunity to talk about myself.

My labor went relatively quickly, (3cm to 10cm in three hours) so I was all happy that things were going so well. Then, we got to the pushing. I pushed forever (almost 3 hours.) The doctor said I was very swollen and that he might have to get the forceps to deliver.

Well, one set of contractions was quite strong, the baby's heart rate dipped WAY down, and the doctor said, "you're done." They knocked me out with general anesthesia, and next thing I knew, someone was pulling a tube out of my throat and Mr. Fro was standing there with a hospital baseball cap with the baby's footprints on it, showing me the digital camera pictures he'd taken of her in the nursery.

So the thing about pushing forever, and then having a C-section is that afterward, you're essentially recovering from BOTH a vaginal delivery and the 6 inch sliced hole in your abdomen. My bottom half was packed in ice for two days. The nurses were super nice to me and gave me extra Jell-o.

Peachy blossoms courtesy of Arkie!

05-31-07, 04:08 PM (EST)
22. "RE: Birthing question"
I like when you gets to talk about you, too. Glad I could give an opportunity.

The baby printed baseball cap sounds adorable.

05-31-07, 04:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MKitty Click to send private message to MKitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Birthing question"
Yes, basically ditto to what everyone else has said so far. My son too was born by emergency C-Section due to the fact that he wouldn't come out after my three hours of pushing at full dilation. At this point, I had already been in labour for over 30 hours..and yes, they were worried he was going to go into distress soon.

It turns out, he had his @#$% chin up, so he couldn't descend properly! How goofy is that??!

frankz 1214 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

05-31-07, 05:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frankz Click to send private message to frankz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Birthing question"
The C section can certainly beat the alternatives.
When my oldest Frank Jr. was born my ex dilated quickly and I barely made it into my scrubs to be in the delivery room. His head came out in 1 contraction, no problem, but his shoulders got stuck (we didn’t know it at the time, first child and everything). After 3-4 additional contractions the Dr got out the forceps but rather than pull Jr out with them he took half of them (they’re like those 2-piece salad things) reached in and snapped her tailbone off (sorry to be so graphic). We had no idea what was happening, they didn’t tell us until later after the ex complained she couldn’t sit. It saved his life but she continues to have problems even sitting to this day.

Wheelie

Wheelie by RollDdice
I've tried nothin' and I'm all out of ideas!

05-31-07, 06:54 PM (EST)
27. "RE: Birthing question"
That is EXACTLY why I banned forceps from my birthing room. I let them try the vacuum thingy, but after that, I absolutely banned the forceps and would not allow them to even try with that (and had that clearly outlined in my birthing plan) Shudder...

rasslinmomma 938 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

05-31-07, 06:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail rasslinmomma Click to send private message to rasslinmomma Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "Another point..."
A prolonged "pushing stage" can also indicate cephalopelvic disproportion ... basically that the baby's head is to large to pass through the mother's pelvis. How much did the baby weigh at birth, and is the mom very petite?

Courtesy of the very talented ARnutz

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

05-31-07, 09:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Birthing question"
Pretty much along the line with what everyone's else has already been telling you...

If her water breaks, then there's time before the baby would be at risk.

Then there are reasons why the baby just.can't.come.out. My college roommate was in labor for over a day and a half before they did a C for her first 10+ pound baby. (Ow.) Then there are all sorts of other reasons why a woman can push and still not make any progress. And as someone who pushed for over 3 hours the first time, there's only so long you can do that without no longer having the strength to do it anymore.

My second babe was a vacuum babe too. His poor widdle conehead eventually turned out quite cute. Using vacuum or forceps increases the risk to baby though. Even those deliveries that go well with that assistance bruise the baby, which increases the risk of jaundice. Luckily, my little guy only had to go over to the hospital for some weekend blood tests to make sure he was OK, but some babies end up staying in or returning to the hospital because of their jaundice issues.

05-31-07, 10:12 PM (EST)
30. "RE: Birthing question"
My c-section was because apparently my son had no intention of coming out. I was already 10 days past my due date, he hadn't dropped, and I never had any labor pains.

qwertypie 9776 desperate attention whore postings

06-01-07, 02:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: Birthing question"
And that is OK too.

I've been planked by Tribe!

kingfish 20752 desperate attention whore postings

06-03-07, 02:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: Birthing question"
Very interesting, reading all of these stories (Snapping the tail bone off?). I am humbled, and my A-hole has decreased to about this > . (<approaches infinitely small) size.

Thank you ladies, for all you do.

06-04-07, 10:14 AM (EST)
34. "RE: Birthing question"
*snort* And you thought it was just about eating ice cream and pickles.

kingfish 20752 desperate attention whore postings

06-04-07, 11:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
35. "RE: Birthing question"
Yeah. Sort of. And getting a lot of extra days off that I don't get.

But, thanks to this thread, I no longer begrudge Perks related to birthing. There could never be enough rewards to make up for what some women go thru.

Of course, women probably don't realize what effort men go thru in achieving sperm delivery, time after time after time.

Well, we all suffer, so I guess we can leave it at that.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •