The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"As Iraqi's stand up, we'll stand down. - W needs a new sound bite!"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

HobbsofMI 16065 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-23-07, 09:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail HobbsofMI Click to send private message to HobbsofMI Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
"As Iraqi's stand up, we'll stand down. - W needs a new sound bite!"
Step right up....W and Co. need a new sound bite for the US public and the World to follow.

Please submit your entries to Karl Rove and if you win you'll be the next Federal Prosecutor in the area of your choice.

U.S. plan backs off training of Iraqis

Also, Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki has demanded that the wall around the Sunni area of Azamiyah in Baghdad that the US is building be stopped. It sounds like we'll stop but it does not say it directly.

Save the Cheerleader Save the World
sig by Syren and bouncy by IceCat

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: As Iraqi's stand up, we'll s... dabo 04-23-07 1
 Re: As Iraqis Stand Down, We'll Sta... Skiver 04-23-07 2
 RE: As Iraqi's stand up, we'll s... dabo 04-23-07 3
 RE: As Iraqi's stand up, we'll s... HobbsofMI 04-24-07 4
   RE: As Iraqi's stand up, we'll s... HistoryDetective 04-24-07 5
       RE: As Iraqi's stand up, we'll s... HobbsofMI 04-24-07 6
 Prove it AyaK 04-24-07 7
   RE: Prove it HobbsofMI 04-25-07 8

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

04-23-07, 09:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: As Iraqi's stand up, we'll stand down. - W needs a new sound bite!"
That "we didn't know how to do it" is really inspired.

Skiver 1118 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

04-23-07, 10:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Skiver Click to send private message to Skiver Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "Re: As Iraqis Stand Down, We'll Stand Up"
W's new catchphrases:

1. OLD: Global War on Terror. NEW: Global War on Stuff We Caused
2. OLD: Coaltion of the Willing. NEW: Coalition of the Branches of the US Military
3. OLD: Clear, Hold, and Build. NEW: Clear, hold, and clear, and hold, and clear, and hold...

Sig by Cygnus X1

"My answer is, bring 'em on." - GW Bush, 2003

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

04-23-07, 10:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: As Iraqi's stand up, we'll stand down. - W needs a new sound bite!"
One for all and all for Halliburton!

04-24-07, 09:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail HobbsofMI Click to send private message to HobbsofMI Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: As Iraqi's stand up, we'll stand down. - W needs a new sound bite!"
Not to many entires......Rove is going to have to come up with something on his own....

HistoryDetective 9516 desperate attention whore postings

04-24-07, 10:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail HistoryDetective Click to send private message to HistoryDetective Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: As Iraqi's stand up, we'll stand down. - W needs a new sound bite!"
Well, Paul Wolfowitz seems to have fallen back on the classic: "Do as I say, not as I do."

All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit. --- Thomas Paine (1737-1809), author of Common Sense

04-24-07, 10:20 AM (EST)
6. "RE: As Iraqi's stand up, we'll stand down. - W needs a new sound bite!"
He must have picked it up from my step dad....that was he fav along with your rule's are this and my kids rule's are the opposite.

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings

04-24-07, 08:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "Prove it"
This is one of those cases where I'm not sure I trust the conclusions of the article.

There are two reasons for that. One is that, while there is no question that security has supplanted training as the #1 US priority (which is perfectly sensible), that doesn't mean training has been cut back.

April 20 story -- 1,900 Iraqi troops graduate from basic training for Diyala province (Samarra brigade)

April 9 story -- new 4000 member Anbar brigade to be formed

And this kind of US-centered speculation misses the real story of Iraq, which (as we've discussed) is the ethnic war conditions throughout the mixed areas of the country. For example, here is a lengthy view of Kirkuk, which Saddam wanted to be the Arab-dominated oil center of Iraq, from an American who went in with Kurds.

Kirkuk’s terrorists are, my Kurdish hosts explained, mostly Baathists, not Islamists. Their racist ideology casts Kurds and Turkmens as the enemy. They’re boxed in on all sides, though, and in their impotent rage murder fellow Arabs by the dozens and hundreds. They have, in effect, strapped suicide belts around their entire community while their more peaceful Kurdish and Turkmen neighbors shudder and fight to keep the Baath in its box.

American readers may be uncomfortable by the explicitly racial nature of this description, but that’s just how it is in Kirkuk and I cannot apologize for it. Iraqis kill each other over race and religion and power. If you go there yourself you had better pay attention to who lives in which neighborhood and what they think of others. Otherwise you will not survive. I'm a bit awkwardly self-conscious about it, but race blindness is punished in Iraq with the death penalty....

“What exactly are the people who bomb the Arab parts of the city trying to do?” I said. “Why are Arabs bombing other Arabs?”

“Most, if not all, the terrorists are the old Baath Party members,” Mam Rostam said. “They changed their names and became an Islamist party. But they are the same guys. They have unified with some Sunnis around the Southwest of Kirkuk because they are living in this area. They are making these attacks to make this democratic experiment after Saddam fail.”

I had heard much the same from members of the Kurdistan Regional Government in Suleimaniya. What frustrates them most about the U.S. military strategy is the American prioritization of Al Qaeda. The vast majority of the violence, according to my Kurdish sources, is committed by Baathists and old Baathists under new names. Failure to identify Iraq’s principal terrorist organizations and treat them accordingly is the number one reason why Iraq is such a catastrophe. At least this is what I have been told. Kurdish officials I’ve met who try to explain this to the Americans are dismissed out of hand and ignored utterly.

“So their goals are not local to Kirkuk,” I said. “They are for the whole of Iraq.”

“They want all of Iraq to fail,” Mam Rostam said. “They want the Americans to feel that they are not able to succeed in this area. They want to force the Americans to negotiate with the Baath Party.”

“So they aren’t necessarily targeting you or us,” I said.

“They are targeting anyone just to achieve instability,” Mam Rostam said.

“So there’s no plan other than violence,” Patrick said.

“There is no plan,” Mam Rostam said. “It doesn’t matter where. It’s just random violence. Sometimes they bomb a kindergarten in their own neighborhood. Or a university. Or the civil office. Or a municipality. Or wherever. In these offices there are people of every nationality and religion. There is no way to say there are only Sunnis or whatever in these places. This is a multicultural country. Everyone is everywhere.”

Most Americans have soured on the war and want out. I was once optimistic myself, but I no longer am. I can’t help but notice, though, that those I’ve spoken to who actually live in Iraq are more confident and less fatalistic....

The news was on, and I saw pictures of the war in Iraq. It felt so strange to watch the war in Iraq on TV from inside Iraq. It felt the same as when I watch the war in Iraq on TV in my house in the U.S. The violence and mayhem on the screen had nothing to do with me. I was in Iraq’s Red Zone. But sunlight slanted in through the windows. The grass outside was green. Flowers bloomed in the yard. Birds chirped. The neighborhood was at peace, at least at that moment.

Iraq is a big place. It is more or less the size of California. If a car bomb were to go off in San Diego, it wouldn’t disturb people who live in San Francisco. They would watch the aftermath from safety on TV just as I watched scenes of carnage from safety at Mam Rostam’s in Kirkuk. The war was far away…or at least around a couple of corners. Iraq looks scarier from far away than it does up close and in person…even when you’re in the Red Zone. How much danger you’re in depends on where you are in Iraq. The Red Zone is not one shade of crimson. The war, for the most part, is concentrated mostly in very specific areas. On any given day you might see something violent, but you probably won’t. This fact is completely lost in the breathless media coverage of the carnage, the mayhem, and the bang-bang.

It's worth reading the article just for the pictures, which show how devastated Kirkuk is.

04-25-07, 11:09 AM (EST)
8. "RE: Prove it"
Well...you've pointed out AP stories that don't add up. This one may too but I thought I would be snarky and see what the new talking point would be.

Thanks for the Kirkuk article....if you saw 60 Minutes you would think nothing bad happens there and they have everything under their own control. This says it's a little different.

The more and more I see the more and more it should be split up with the possibility of a very loose central government to handle the oil money....maybe...

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •