The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Question"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

mindy23 1319 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

04-30-09, 09:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mindy23 Click to send private message to mindy23 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Question"
When you are talking about 'pimpage' as in during the AI episode, what exactly are you talking about? I'm not quite getting that.

I thought pimpage was when the contestant had all that coverage before the show started (ie Danny with the dead wife story, and Megan the single mom, etc). But now I see you are using it in a different manner and using numbers with it.

I'm not good at math at all, and I'm totally confused!! Someone-PLEASE HELP an old lady out here. I'm fallen and I can't get up......

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Question Snidget 04-30-09 1
 RE: Question zazzy 04-30-09 2
   RE: Question DoodleBug 04-30-09 3
       RE: Question mindy23 04-30-09 4
           RE: Question zazzy 05-01-09 5
               RE: Question Snidget 05-01-09 6
                   RE: Question zazzy 05-01-09 7

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-30-09, 09:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Question"
There are different sorts of pimpage.

Pre-voting it does tend to be the one that gets all the back story and every last time they sing shown vs the ones we've never seen until the voting starts.

Once the voting starts you see a couple of different things. Not sure which math is being used so not sure what the problem is or how to explain it, but these are the types of pimpage you see.

1. Singing order. Historically certain singing positions are very unlikely to get voted off, and some positions are more likely to get voted off. Usually whoever closes the show is safe, the bad positions tend to be first half of the show, usually near the middle of the show.

Doesn't always work, but you may see some math with that in how many times people have had good spots.

2. Judges pimping. Always gets lurve from the judges no matter how bad they are. Even when they can't pimp the performance they will say but we know you really can sing.

3. Special effects. Do they get something with the musicians, backup singers, lights, that makes the performance more memorable than the others.

zazzy 4390 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

04-30-09, 11:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail zazzy Click to send private message to zazzy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Question"
Snidget's got a good list started. I started to write up a definition of all the types of pimpage that are used on AI... but I am out of town on a different computer and have not finished the list yet. It's interesting how many ways they do it.

For example, the signs in the audience that are shown. They usually do not show signs for each of the contestants--you see a lot of Adam signs and Allison signs. This is used both on performance night and results night.

Another would be Ryan's comments. For example, he compared Anoop's eyebrows to Groucho Marx after Anoop sang in the top 7. IMO that was a put down. Hmmm...does Ryan ever put down Adam?

Who gets to use the stairs? Who gets to have the special lighting? Who gets the special lighting AND the lighted stairs? Who gets the string players on the stage with them? Who gets the cool graphics playing in the background? So many types of pimpage! More later.

DoodleBug 5133 desperate attention whore postings

04-30-09, 11:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail DoodleBug Click to send private message to DoodleBug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Question"
Rickey.org always talks about the backlight colors - green meaning GO - vote for me!! Red meaning - STOP, don't vote for me. Subliminal messages to the audience....

mindy23 1319 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

04-30-09, 02:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mindy23 Click to send private message to mindy23 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Question"
Great job of making me realize what I needed to know! THANKS! I'd really like to see that list you're making-I think we could all use a bit more info.

I see where it's all coming from now, and will start paying more attention from this point on. Good way to notice things! DUH-I'm a little slow, as you know.......I just listen to the songs, and critique as a musician would. The rest? I dunno....

05-01-09, 12:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zazzy Click to send private message to zazzy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Question"
My musical experience is from piano, high school band and choir, etc., so am inexperienced about the in depth technical skills that Master Class Lady writes about. I do have experience in advertising and doing ads and know what the production looks like and "what's behind the curtain". Producing tv ads has definitely changed the way I look at TV and movies, now I see more of the elements that in the past would have just washed over me.

And, at a minimum, AI "leads the thinking" of the audience. They start with the casting of the show and keep at it through the finale.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

05-01-09, 01:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Question"
I come at it from a bit of a different angle, but it comes down to some of the same things. The human mind tends to do certain things with certain types of information. While we use that for a different purpose in designing an experiment those same mental quirks can be used to change the impression people have of something that they are evaluating.

In science you are usually trying to set things up so viewing order doesn't influence the outcome of the experiment, in advertising or reality TV show producing you are often trying to put those things in. Our brains use a lot of filters and short cuts so we can function effeciently. If you know what those are you can alter a person's experience of something by a surprising amount sometimes.

05-01-09, 04:26 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Question"
ITA. Same thing in designing marketing research. The order of questions is really important, even how long a research study is, because the consumer can tire of the activity and just shut down.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •