The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"WWOTD?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

weltek 16936 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-15-07, 01:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"WWOTD?"
Yep, it's another edition of "What Would OT Do?"

I have a pissed off coworker. She is (somewhat rightfully) pissed at the management here and knows her job is potentially being eliminated. She comes in here with new rants every week. I try to nod & just listen. Sometimes I offer suggestions, of which she never takes as she truly sees no support or solutions coming from anywhere.

Yesterday was Super Rant 20005 over her performance review. I offered suggestions and she said I live in a sugar coated world in my department (as do a few other departments) and have no idea how it is for the rest of the people. Ouch. I got a little defensive at that comment and she apologized. Then she walked off mumbling about how she shouldn't have come to my office and complained. It was in the tone of "Nobody understands and why should I bother."

What should my next move be? Should I send her a card with a note sympathizing with her stress, stop by her office and talk (ack, that's a hard one), or ignore it and wait for it to blow over? The tension will be tough if I don't do anything and see her in the hallway.

I'm tired of her rants, but she IS in a bad situation. For that I feel terrible for her and know she needs to vent somewhere. She just refuses to look for another job or do anything about it, so it frustrates me.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: WWOTD? brvnkrz 03-15-07 1
   RE: WWOTD? Glow 03-15-07 6
 RE: WWOTD? miamicatt 03-15-07 2
   RE: WWOTD? samboohoo 03-15-07 5
       RE: WWOTD? brvnkrz 03-15-07 7
           RE: WWOTD? samboohoo 03-15-07 9
               RE: WWOTD? brvnkrz 03-15-07 10
                   RE: WWOTD? samboohoo 03-15-07 15
                       RE: WWOTD? brvnkrz 03-15-07 19
       RE: WWOTD? ARnutz 03-15-07 8
           RE: WWOTD? dragonflies 03-15-07 13
               RE: WWOTD? brvnkrz 03-15-07 14
 RE: WWOTD? Lasann 03-15-07 3
 RE: WWOTD? Glow 03-15-07 4
 RE: WWOTD? frodis 03-15-07 11
 RE: WWOTD? DebCapsFan 03-15-07 12
 RE: WWOTD? greenmonstah 03-15-07 16
 RE: WWOTD? Breezy 03-15-07 17
   RE: WWOTD? greenmonstah 03-15-07 18
       RE: WWOTD? brvnkrz 03-15-07 22
       RE: WWOTD? Breezy 03-15-07 24
           RE: WWOTD? samboohoo 03-15-07 25
               RE: WWOTD? Breezy 03-15-07 29
 RE: WWOTD? mysticwolf 03-15-07 20
   RE: WWOTD? greenmonstah 03-15-07 21
       RE: WWOTD? arkiegrl 03-15-07 23
           RE: WWOTD? samboohoo 03-15-07 26
               RE: WWOTD? arkiegrl 03-15-07 27
                   RE: WWOTD? samboohoo 03-15-07 28
                       RE: WWOTD? arkiegrl 03-15-07 30
                           RE: WWOTD? samboohoo 03-15-07 32
                               RE: WWOTD? brvnkrz 03-15-07 34
                               RE: WWOTD? arkiegrl 03-15-07 35
                                   RE: WWOTD? samboohoo 03-15-07 36
                                       RE: WWOTD? arkiegrl 03-15-07 37
       RE: WWOTD? mysticwolf 03-15-07 31
 RE: WWOTD? geg6 03-15-07 33
 RE: WWOTD? EMTBGRL 03-15-07 38
 RE: WWOTD? Bobdechemist 03-15-07 39
 RE: WWOTD? frisky 03-15-07 40
   RE: WWOTD? weltek 03-16-07 45
 RE: WWOTD? Denalio 03-16-07 41
 RE: WWOTD? true 03-16-07 42
 How 'bout saying moonbaby 03-16-07 43
   RE: How 'bout saying weltek 03-16-07 46
 RE: WWOTD? bystander 03-16-07 44
 RE: WWOTD? weltek 03-16-07 47
   RE: WWOTD? Glow 03-16-07 48
   RE: WWOTD? samboohoo 03-16-07 49
   RE: WWOTD? geg6 03-16-07 50
   RE: WWOTD? EMTBGRL 03-18-07 51
       RE: WWOTD? weltek 03-19-07 53
   RE: WWOTD? Spanky68 03-18-07 52

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

brvnkrz 20491 desperate attention whore postings

03-15-07, 01:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: WWOTD?"
LAST EDITED ON 03-15-07 AT 01:58 PM (EST)

If she's going to act like a weenie, then brag about how great your job is and tell her it's really too bad that she didn't land your job instead of hers.
Or? Just continue to let her rant and don't offer any advice. Just listen. Some people just want someone else to listen to them and don't want any suggestions because they feel that it draws away from them and their issues. And a lot of times, these are the type who aren't really looking for solutions. Even if your suggestions are helpful.

Arkie Rocks!!!

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

03-15-07, 02:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: WWOTD?"
^ "some people" ^

miamicatt 9247 desperate attention whore postings

03-15-07, 02:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail miamicatt Click to send private message to miamicatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: WWOTD?"
Feh. Yes, she's in an unfortunate situation, but she's a big girl and it's up to her to fix her issue. You've listened to her rant and rave long enough. There's blowing off some steam now and then, and then there's just juvenile "fix my problems for me" whining.

You aren't responsible for her situation so you shouldn't be responsible for fixing it. And we arent' talking about one of your super-close friends (are we?) so it also isn't your responsibility to make her feel better every time she doesn't get her way in the office.

I've dealt with a TON of office tension and my advice is to just let it blow over. Pretend it's not happening -- treat her as if the incident never took place and just be your usual friendly self. If she creates tension, then that is HER choice and there is nothing you can do about that. Acknowledging the tension that she's creating is simply giving in to her passive-agressive behavior. You can't solve her problem and you can't make her happy, so there's no reason to actively ruin your own day attempting to fix something that you didn't break.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go back to being unemployed.

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings

03-15-07, 02:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: WWOTD?"
I agree with Catt. And Bravie too.

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

03-15-07, 02:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: WWOTD?"
You just don't want me calling you Boohoo Ono, the one legged sally.

Arkie Rocks!!!

03-15-07, 02:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: WWOTD?"
BG

03-15-07, 02:25 PM (EST)
10. "RE: WWOTD?"
*snort* that almost made me pee myself.

Arkie Rocks!!!

03-15-07, 02:46 PM (EST)
15. "RE: WWOTD?"
Yeah I almost did too.

To be honest with you, I do think that is probably one of the funniest things I've ever heard, or seen. Evah!

03-15-07, 02:56 PM (EST)
19. "RE: WWOTD?"

Me too. Still laughing weeks later.

ARnutz 13937 desperate attention whore postings

03-15-07, 02:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ARnutz Click to send private message to ARnutz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: WWOTD?"
I agree with Boo, who agrees with Catt & Bravie.

dragonflies 8051 desperate attention whore postings

03-15-07, 02:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dragonflies Click to send private message to dragonflies Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: WWOTD?"
Bravie, Catt, Boo and Nutzy are smaht, they are.

03-15-07, 02:45 PM (EST)
14. "RE: WWOTD?"
I agree.

Arkie Rocks!!!

Lasann 3616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

03-15-07, 02:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Lasann Click to send private message to Lasann Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: WWOTD?"
Bravie is right. Nothing irratates me more when I'm ranting about my kids and someone offers suggestions. I can be full of but... but...

I'd just listen, but that's what I mostly do anyway.. I rarely offer advice.

It a Tribe original!!!

03-15-07, 02:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: WWOTD?"
LAST EDITED ON 03-15-07 AT 02:27 PM (EST)

hmmm. It seems like all you can do is just listen to her. Continue to offer your support and your suggestions. I would give it a day or so (at least until the end of the day) and then check on her. Go to her office and tell her you really are sorry to hear about her situation. What else could you do?

ETA: hmmm. I think losing a job is a big deal. If she's just a coworker, I guess you can say "I've listened to you whine long enough" but if it's somebody you are friendly with (and that must be the case if she feels like she can rant to you) then you might want to be nice. But that's just me. I would want somebody to listen to me.

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose

frodis 4442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

03-15-07, 02:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frodis Click to send private message to frodis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: WWOTD?"
I tend to be the rant destination in my office. Some people really are looking for advice and some just seem to want me to know just how bad they have it, and really don't want advice.

Sometimes what happened to you happens to me - the ranter is for some reason unsatisfied with my response (or lack thereof) to their rant, and they stomp off and things are tense for a few hours. I usually ignore it - and chalk it up to their frustration since I didn't really do anything wrong. It usually blows over, since it's not really ME they are frustrated with (I think.)

I don't think you need to make any special effort to follow up on her rant.

Peachy blossoms courtesy of Arkie!

DebCapsFan 2747 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

03-15-07, 02:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DebCapsFan Click to send private message to DebCapsFan Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: WWOTD?"
Well, the good news is you probably don't have to worry about it much longer.
Let her cool off.

greenmonstah 10761 desperate attention whore postings

03-15-07, 02:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail greenmonstah Click to send private message to greenmonstah Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: WWOTD?"
Speak in incoherent phrases that almost sound empowering and smart. And then sit back and admire your brilliance.

ie. "I think you are synergistically applying a retroactive method to your meta work enviroment."

A few responses like this and she will go away.

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings

03-15-07, 02:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: WWOTD?"
Throw a stress ball at her. *grin* Aim for the forehead.

Click to EMail greenmonstah Click to send private message to greenmonstah Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: WWOTD?"
Or a 5 lb can of coffee.

03-15-07, 02:59 PM (EST)
22. "RE: WWOTD?"
But be careful. Once you do that once they will switch to the 5lb soft sided bag of coffee. Grrr. damn them.

Arkie Rocks!!!

03-15-07, 03:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: WWOTD?"
*checks notes*

ummmm no, that's for annoying co-worker.

For a ranting one, go the stress ball way. *grin*

03-15-07, 03:11 PM (EST)
25. "RE: WWOTD?"
What do you do for non-updaters?

03-15-07, 03:18 PM (EST)
29. "RE: WWOTD?"
*innocent look*

Shower them with love?

mysticwolf 10692 desperate attention whore postings

Click to EMail mysticwolf Click to send private message to mysticwolf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: WWOTD?"
I'm with the others on this. Like Frodis, I seemed to be the person folks liked to rant to, probably because I would listen to them. In a few cases, if it was something I might be able to do something about, I'd offer advice or intercede. Particularly when folks were losing jobs during the closure there were times that I made some calls to try to help them land something else within the company. In a few cases, I was even successful.

I dunno if you're in a position to be able to do something like this for her, or not? If you are, you might want to tell her you've had an idea about a possible different fit for her and ask if she'd like you to make an initial call. Caution. If she's not someone that you can honestly say is a good employee, a keeper, don't put yourself in this position. Last thing you want to do is get someone else to take her & find out they've bought a problem person.

Otherwise, I'd simply ignore it as though you never heard her mumblings. Either it'll blow over, or she'll hold a grudge & quit ranting to you. Either way, you win.

Tribe sent springtime flowers! blogging's scary

03-15-07, 02:58 PM (EST)
21. "RE: WWOTD?"
I think you are synergistically applying a retroactive method to your meta work enviroment.

*Sits back and admires brilliance*

arkiegrl 9421 desperate attention whore postings

03-15-07, 03:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail arkiegrl Click to send private message to arkiegrl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: WWOTD?"
*sits back and admires Monsty's brilliance*

03-15-07, 03:13 PM (EST)
26. "RE: WWOTD?"
*sits with Arkie and dips my pinky in some sort of bowl*

03-15-07, 03:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail arkiegrl Click to send private message to arkiegrl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: WWOTD?"
*hands Boo a freshly pressed linen napkin*

03-15-07, 03:16 PM (EST)
28. "RE: WWOTD?"
Does my napkin have a "B" monogram for Boo or an "S" for Samboohoo?

I wouldn't want to use the wrong napkin.

03-15-07, 03:26 PM (EST)
30. "RE: WWOTD?"
Good question! I think this is a more informal setting, so the napkin with the "B" will be appropriate to use.

03-15-07, 03:28 PM (EST)
32. "RE: WWOTD?"
Informal. Okay, so that means I can bring a bottle of ketchup to the table as well for my tater tots, right? We will have tater tots or some sort of hash brown goodness with our eggs, yes?

We'd better not tell Bravie about this. She'd want to bring a carton of milk to the table.

03-15-07, 03:41 PM (EST)
34. "RE: WWOTD?"
*dips tater tot in glass of milk*
*drinks from carton of milk*
*poot*

Since it's informal, I give you permission to take off your leg at the table.

03-15-07, 04:04 PM (EST)
35. "RE: WWOTD?"
You can have ketchup for your hash browns if I can have salsa for my eggs.

That Bravie. So uncouth.

03-15-07, 04:06 PM (EST)
36. "RE: WWOTD?"
Just checking. Do you feel the slightest bit guilty about jacking such a serious thread? It is Weltek, I doubt she could be mad at us.

03-15-07, 04:27 PM (EST)
37. "RE: WWOTD?"
Well, no, not really. Do you?

But in case Weltek is offended by this threadjacking, I blame Bravie.

mysticwolf 10692 desperate attention whore postings

03-15-07, 03:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mysticwolf Click to send private message to mysticwolf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: WWOTD?"
LAST EDITED ON 03-15-07 AT 03:28 PM (EST)

Nope. Didn't work. *sticks out tongue at Monsty*

Tribe sent springtime flowers! blogging's scary
ETA: But, that's not to say I don't admire Monsty's brilliance.

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

03-15-07, 03:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: WWOTD?"
I agree with pretty much everybody else on this. And it really does depend on how personally close you are to her.

There is nothing you can do about her precarious job situation. It sounds as if part of it is the elimination of her job, which may not have anything to do with her performance of it. I'd make sympathetic noises and keep suggesting a job search, but...really...you can't make her do it. So I'd just keep saying the same thing and tune her excuses out.

As for her performance review? I've never discussed mine with anyone I work with, ever. I find that rather TMI. And I would be telling her that in the nicest way possible.

As for your losing your cool a little bit when she got hostile with you? Tough luck for her. I see no reason to apologize for it. She attacked you, remember. If you run into her and want to say something, I'd just say that what she had said had made you feel attacked. If you keep it to your own feelings and explain how it affected you, maybe she'll get a clue.

And if she doesn't? Her loss. You're a wonderful person and she's the one who created the situation between the two of you. If she's smart, she'll realize that.

*smooch*

EMTBGRL 2514 desperate attention whore postings

03-15-07, 04:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail EMTBGRL Click to send private message to EMTBGRL Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
38. "RE: WWOTD?"
If you are coworkers, and not personal friends:

(shrug)
"I like my job. Now, if you excuse me, I have to get back to doing it." (turn around, and get back to work.)

She's already told you that you live a PollyAnna life, and can't possibly understand her, anyway. That sounds like a BIG "off the hook" to me.

If she persists in this behavior? I would look her straight in the eye, and say, "Yes, you've told me all this before. What I am unclear about is why you are telling ME."

If THAT doesn't work? You have a manager, too. Go tell him/ her that this person is harassing you with their problems during working hours. That'll stop it. It IS a form of harassment if you have asked her to STOP and she is bothering you during work.

I agree with Bravie, Geg, Monsty (most DEFINITELY Monsty-- complete with 5 lb. can of coffee) and all the other people with wisdom ^^^^^

Geg, you're right. Performance evaluations and salaries? I don't share, either. Definitely TMI. To me? It's like announcing you have a problem with incontinence to the poor sap who just walked up to the cafeteria line behind you. I said to the woman, "I really think he just wanted a sandwich." She got the message. Directness worked. NOTHING else would.

Weltek, decide what YOU want from this person, and act accordingly.

It sounds like what I would want is her AWAY from me.

(You could always invite Bravie to come and *poot* repeatedly. That might work..)

Bobdechemist 3932 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

03-15-07, 04:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bobdechemist Click to send private message to Bobdechemist Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
39. "RE: WWOTD?"
Sounds like she needs a new job. Try to set her up with Amway.

She will be so grateful.

frisky 11695 desperate attention whore postings

03-15-07, 07:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frisky Click to send private message to frisky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
40. "RE: WWOTD?"
This is the kind of crap that brings my claws out.

As a bumbling, inept managewhore, I will venture a guess that one of the reasons your coworker is in this position is because of her attitude.

If she were a star worker, they'd find a way to keep her even if her job were being "eliminated." I don't know what your workplace is like, but in many joints, elimination of the job is political-speak for elimination of the person. A bad attitude and pain in the butt gives me pause to ask "hmm...could we live without this position?"

I think you are in the best place, Weltek. You've got her right where you want her -- away from you.

Rolly made this.

03-16-07, 01:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
45. "RE: WWOTD?"
I was reading along, admiring all the great advice. Then your intution comes along and hits the nail on the head:

>As a bumbling, inept managewhore, I
>will venture a guess that
>one of the reasons your
>coworker is in this position
>is because of her attitude.

BINGO! My boss is "upper management" and has tried to intercede on this person's behalf once. The persons horrid attitude has pretty much burned every bridge, though. It's kind of a lost cause. She does her job well. Her job is useful, but cuts are being made. Her bad attitude isn't helping her KEEP her job, that's for sure. Now, everyone really just wants to get rid of her so they don't have to deal with her negativity.

Denalio 904 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

03-16-07, 09:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Denalio Click to send private message to Denalio Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
41. "RE: WWOTD?"
I pretty much agree with the majority of posters here who say you really don't need to do anything more.

I will offer this story:

I once worked in an office with a wonderful manager who treated the staff in her department with trust and respect. Flexible hours, no time clock, and she was excellent in acknowledging our work. On the other side of the same building was another department run by a tight ass biddy control freak who sucked the joy out of everything. Time cards, rigid rules, and overbearing management. Guess which team got along with each other? Guess which side was full of petty bickering and angry venting? Because I was the new kid, I had to cross over to the gulag to cover the reception area phones at noon every day and one afternoon a week. I heard plenty of venting and truthfully, I felt sorry for them.
So sometimes it is the attitude of the workers and sometimes it might be the whole "the department head is a raving biotch" and it trickles down.

And I heard plenty of whining and IMHO it was at least partially justified. All I could do is be empathetic. But it sure was not my responsibility, nor did I feel any ownership of the problem.

So I am pretty much in agreement with the majority sentiment here, but just add that having some empathy and showing compassion (reasonably so) might be warranted.
But day after day after day? No thank you! She needs to move on and out.

Good luck to you!

true 9689 desperate attention whore postings

03-16-07, 09:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail true Click to send private message to true Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
42. "RE: WWOTD?"
Life is too short to spend it listening to people whine and complain. Little irritates me more than people who spread their bad moods around *my* workplace. Tell her to "vent" at home to her family and friends, then ignore the negativitiy so she'll find someone else to annoy.

moonbaby 17120 desperate attention whore postings

03-16-07, 09:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail moonbaby Click to send private message to moonbaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
43. "How 'bout saying"
you'd be happy to look over her resume when she gets it together

Sadly this struck a chord with me. I am in a pretty bad work situation myself BUT I leave the venting for drinks after work when EVERYONE vents, lol! She needs to keep her radar tuned for job openings elsewhere in the firm (if she likes the company) and have a resume ready to go. The last inquiry I made a couple of weeks ago didn't pan out but maybe the next one will. If there's nothing open in house then look outside. Life's too short to be so unhappy-she needs to start taking real steps to get away from such a bad situation.

03-16-07, 01:55 PM (EST)
46. "RE: How 'bout saying"
She says she's too old to change positions and that I can't possibly understand what that's like. *sigh*

I think her main goal is to make me take up the crusade against management here (that's really just an angry b!tching crusade). YOu know, get more people in her corner. I'm not willing to do that. I think they've done some sh!tty things to her and I talked to my boss about trying to help. It didn't get too far, as our the head honchos do what they want anyway. So, I feel I've done all I can. And I feel dirty nodding my head at her rants about management conspiracies when I don't believe them myself, or even know some of it to be untrue. If I try & tell her something isn't true and give her the facts, she refuses to believe it.

She's a career malcontent.

bystander 4968 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

03-16-07, 09:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail bystander Click to send private message to bystander Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
44. "RE: WWOTD?"
Well, here at my company, the management would simply tell her to suck it up and that if she is THAT unhappy she could always go find another job.

My company really cares. /sarcasm

03-16-07, 02:00 PM (EST)
47. "RE: WWOTD?"
Thanks, OT.

Since this is someone I ocassionaly go to lunch with and talk about life outside of work, I'd really like to at least convey to her that I'm sorry she's in this bad situation. She must feel quite alone right now, as she's alienated a lot of people.

I think you've offered some really balanced advice here. I'm going to send her a card, just saying that I'm really sorry about all this, and that I do care about how upseting this situation is for her. I'm going to clearly say that it's hard for me to see things from her perspective, but that doesn't mean I'm discounting what she's feeling or thinks. <---words chosen carefully. And sum it up with aside from the carpy work situation, I still enjoy our lunchtime chats and want to see her happy. I'll also probably apologize for trying to give advice when she just needed an ear. I know I can be really guilty of doing that.

03-16-07, 03:28 PM (EST)
48. "RE: WWOTD?"
Awesome. You're a sweetheart. *smooch*

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose

03-16-07, 03:40 PM (EST)
49. "RE: WWOTD?"
I think Arkie and I have offered the most balanced advice.

And I think that is a good solution. *smooch*

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

03-16-07, 03:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
50. "RE: WWOTD?"
And that is why you are such a wonderful person.

*smooch*

EMTBGRL 2514 desperate attention whore postings

03-18-07, 10:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail EMTBGRL Click to send private message to EMTBGRL Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
51. "RE: WWOTD?"
I'm SORRY she's in
>this bad situation.

I'm going to send her a
>card, just saying that I'm
>really SORRY about all this,

>I'll also probably APOLOGIZE for
>trying to give advice when
>she just needed an ear.

Weltek, It is apparent to me, throughout the year or so that I've been reading OT, that you are very kind.

However, you are Too kind in this case imho.

I just wanted to highlight how many times you were sorry about something that wasn't your fault. You owe nobody an apology from what you've shared with OT.

Why be "sorry?" This woman made deliberate choices that has alienated a lot of people, and could have jeopardized your job, too. You said you went to your boss and it got nowhere. You tried. Therefore, You have nothing to "be sorry" for. The fact you are writing it in a card, instead of telling her this directly is a sign to me that you are also someone who has been "alienated" by her. Her rants are going to get a card from you? I can't help but wonder "Why?"

If she hadn't also alienated you, you would just share with her, in person, that you'd like to continue to have lunch together, but would appreciate it if she'd change the subject. And leave it at that, and have lunch (she should buy, too.) ;)

I am of the opinion that women apologize for things that aren't their fault far too often. I believe this is one of those times.

Maybe you're bigger than me. But I calls it how I sees it.

Of course, you do what you believe will be best for you in the end, because that's what we all want here on OT.

03-19-07, 10:13 AM (EST)
53. "RE: WWOTD?"
I guess I should clarify that I'm not saying I'm sorry for my actions, as much as I'm sorry about her general situation (much like people say "I'm sorry for your loss").

I truly am sorry that I can't stop giving advice when they just want an ear. That's the only part I feel I could have changed/would've changed about the interaction.

Thank you for the concern about me, though. I'm not a habitual doormat, although sometimes I do let the stompers come right in over me.

Spanky68 8092 desperate attention whore postings

03-18-07, 11:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Spanky68 Click to send private message to Spanky68 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
52. "RE: WWOTD?"
why don't you enclose a little cheese with the card? That would ease her pain, no?

Flashy sig by RollDdice

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •