The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Speculation/Wish List Thread"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-23-09, 05:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Speculation/Wish List Thread"
LAST EDITED ON 04-23-09 AT 08:26 AM (EST)

The Fox Press Release was posted over on MJ's Big Blog. Standards sung by the Rat Pack.

Here is a play list from a Rat Pack tribute group

http://www.ratpack.biz/rat-pack-songs.htm

So who should sing what?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Specu... geekboy 04-23-09 1
   RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Specu... zazzy 04-23-09 3
 RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Specu... mhdallas 04-23-09 2
 RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Specu... more_cowbell 04-23-09 4
 RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Specu... Glow 04-23-09 5
   RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Specu... mindy23 04-23-09 6
       RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Specu... Snidget 04-23-09 8
           RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Specu... vince3 04-23-09 13
               RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Specu... geekboy 04-23-09 15
   RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Specu... mhdallas 04-23-09 11
       RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Specu... Glow 04-23-09 14
       RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Specu... Snidget 04-23-09 16
           RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Specu... mhdallas 04-23-09 17
 RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Specu... mtb002 04-23-09 7
   RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Specu... echogirl2 04-23-09 22
 RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Specu... grit 04-23-09 9
   RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Specu... zazzy 04-23-09 10
       RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Specu... grit 04-23-09 12
           RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Specu... kingfish 04-23-09 18
               RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Specu... grit 04-23-09 19
                   RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Specu... kingfish 04-23-09 21
               RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Specu... more_cowbell 04-23-09 20
                   RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Specu... niteowl0205 04-24-09 23
                       RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Specu... TxSheCat 04-26-09 28
 RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Specu... DoodleBug 04-26-09 24
   RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Specu... zazzy 04-26-09 26
       RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Specu... DoodleBug 04-27-09 31
           RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Specu... zazzy 04-27-09 32
   RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Specu... Ahtumbreez 04-27-09 29
       RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Specu... DoodleBug 04-27-09 30
 RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Specu... kingfish 04-26-09 25
 Dare vince3 04-26-09 27

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

geekboy 1788 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

04-23-09, 06:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Speculation/Wish List Thread"
Couple things...

* I don't want to hear either "Fever" or "Mack The Knife", they've been done too much on Idol.

* I think Allison could pull off "Something Stupid".

* Kris should do my favorite Sinatra tune, "Summer Wind".

* For Adam, can't you just hear him doing Dino's "Everybody Loves Somebody"

I'm not sure what to have Matt or Danny do....

geekboy

"I think what Randy Travis was trying to say was 'What the hell was that?!'" - S. Cowell

zazzy 4390 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

04-23-09, 07:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail zazzy Click to send private message to zazzy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Speculation/Wish List Thread"
As to whether "Fever" and "Mack the Knife" are overexposed on AI:

Mack the Knife -- 2x: S2,Clay at F3 and S6,Blake at F9

Fever -- 3x: S5, Paris at F11; S6, Nicolas Pedro at top 20; and S7, Syesha at F3

But I agree that they don't need to be done again so soon.

I could see Matt doing "Mack the Knife", though, wearing the Matt hat.

I'd love to have someone sing "Come Fly with Me".

ITA with Adam and New York, New York. It would be an Adam anthem!

mhdallas 165 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-23-09, 07:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mhdallas Click to send private message to mhdallas Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Speculation/Wish List Thread"
Ooh, this should be good. I love the rat pack. Talk about some good mood music!

As much as I personally don't like the song, "Fever", I can't help wanting to see what Adam could do with it. I remember Elvis made it smolder, so I'm a little curious about what Elvis lite could do. Hmm... Actually, though, for the show, I'd rather see him do "New York New York" because it's such a great song and so theatrical that he would have to do it well. (Besides, after doing a ballad last week, it's time for him to shake it up a little more this week.)

Just please don't let Allison do "Fever" is all I ask - she's far too young for that song! Unfortunately, I can't really see her doing that great with this theme; her style is far too 'rocker' for these rather smooth songs. But we'll see...

Danny should have a fine time. Maybe "Luck Be A Lady"...

Kris should also have an easy time (unless he tries to change the arrangement too drastically.) He could do almost anything on the list, but needs to be careful not to be overly bland with it.

Matt - "Little Old Wine Drinker Me". I don't know why, but that song just screams Matt's name to me.

more_cowbell 60 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

04-23-09, 08:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail more_cowbell Click to send private message to more_cowbell Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Speculation/Wish List Thread"
ARGGHGH! This means Matt's stupid.little.fedora will be multiplied by five this week. I may have to duct-tape the top half of my TV screen.

Matt - "I Get A Kick Out Of You" (sans the cocaine reference)

Adam - "Strangers In The Night"

Danny - "Moon River" or "Luck Be A Lady"

Kris - Is it too much to hope for an ironic slacker version of "Candy Man"?

Allison - "They Can't Take That Away From Me". Perfect for her sultry voice.

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

04-23-09, 08:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Speculation/Wish List Thread"
They're not even pretending anymore that this season isn't All About Adam. That should be the subtitle.

AI8: All About Adam

He can pick any song he wants and they pick a theme to fit it. He picks some Frank Sinatra song or whatever and they go, "So we'll have a Rat Pack theme this week!" Maybe he handed them a list of songs he will be performing and they fit the whole season to him. Hence the save... because if America didn't take to him, they were going to be screwed.

Don't get me wrong, I do not mind at all. He blew me away this week so I am on a serious Adam high right now. I usually start to get a little pissy when a fix is obvious but not this time. This one? don't mind at all.

"What he does is original, deliberate, and intentional. He knows what he's doing and why. He is so superior to any of the other contestants that he really doesn't even belong there." - Tahj

mindy23 1319 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

04-23-09, 09:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mindy23 Click to send private message to mindy23 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Speculation/Wish List Thread"
Well, in keeping with the 'dead wife' theme, I could see Danny doing, "You Can't Take That Away From Me". It would also suit his voice well, and elicit some emotional responses.

Adam, as said before, he has his pick of songs, but I'd personally love to see him do, "Mr. Bojangles", just as something totally different than anything he's done so far. But I wouldn't want him to change it around too much-it's a total classic!

Allison, she's going to be an underdog this week, since these were all sung originally by men, anyway. But if she keeps her head about it, and utilizes some good advice, I think she'll do ok with something like "Fly Me to the Moon", or "Strangers in the Night"

Matt, I see doing "Volare" or "That's Life".

Kris, I think is going to have a tough time, too. He's too much the balladeer, so he may have to really do a switcharoo on a classic, and it may not go over too well. Maybe if he does something like "What Kind of Food Am I" or something upbeat, he'll do ok. At this point, he's a front runner, so he needs to pick his song very carefully, and this will be a challenge.

04-23-09, 09:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Speculation/Wish List Thread"
Depends how they want to define it

from wiki "Despite its reputation as a masculine group, the Rat Pack did have female participants, including movie icons Shirley MacLaine, Lauren Bacall, Angie Dickinson, Marilyn Monroe, and Judy Garland."

so that may mean she doesn't HAVE to shop in the men's department.

vince3 17341 desperate attention whore postings

04-23-09, 10:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail vince3 Click to send private message to vince3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Speculation/Wish List Thread"
If they allow Judy Garland into the mix, then maybe she can try something, even if it's been overdone.........

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

geekboy 1788 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

04-23-09, 11:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Speculation/Wish List Thread"
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is SO NOT Allison. Please, God, No.

geekboy

"I think what Randy Travis was trying to say was 'What the hell was that?!'" - S. Cowell

04-23-09, 10:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mhdallas Click to send private message to mhdallas Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Speculation/Wish List Thread"
Help - I need posting advice! I know this is off-topic, but because I'm still fairly new at all this, I need to know how to post pictures or start a new topic. I've got some great pictures of Adam and the rest (which is how I consider them), but don't know how to post them. Somebody help a newbie out, please!

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

04-23-09, 11:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Speculation/Wish List Thread"
LAST EDITED ON 04-23-09 AT 11:10 AM (EST)

When you post, there are little bullet points above the "your message" box. One of them is for image links. If the pictures are big, I usually resize them. We have individual contestant threads too, if they are just pictures of Adam (or other individuals).

<-- In case I am as bad at explaining things as I think I am. Over on the left, there is a link to the Help Forum. Lots of posts there tend to be useful.

eta: oh! To start a new topic, just hit the "post" icon at the top of the page.

"What he does is original, deliberate, and intentional. He knows what he's doing and why. He is so superior to any of the other contestants that he really doesn't even belong there." - Tahj

04-23-09, 11:41 AM (EST)
16. "RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Speculation/Wish List Thread"
On the individual contestant forum we have an Adam thread so pictures of him should go there.

Make sure the picture is on your computer and less than 75K in size. Then you can use the click here to upload your file link when you open your reply to load each one onto this server.

You can post pictures from other servers, but you still have to watch the size. The 75K makes it so threads load well for all users.

If there is no thread that fits what you want to post (and check the first couple of pages of a forum before starting a new thread) then in the main page for the forum you will see a button at the top between search and mark labeled post. That will start a new thread.

04-23-09, 11:50 AM (EST)
17. "RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Speculation/Wish List Thread"
Thank you both!

I'll get the hang of this yet - sometimes you CAN teach an old dog new tricks!

mtb002 200 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

04-23-09, 09:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mtb002 Click to send private message to mtb002 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Speculation/Wish List Thread"
I want to hear "My Way," I'm just not sure who I want to hear it from. I wanted to hear it from Lil, but that's no longer an option.

echogirl2 3 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

04-23-09, 07:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail echogirl2 Click to send private message to echogirl2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Speculation/Wish List Thread"
Adam should absolutely do "My Way" and channel the Sex Pistols version. THAT would be awesome!

grit 4868 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

04-23-09, 10:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail grit Click to send private message to grit Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Speculation/Wish List Thread"
Since this is a wish list, I wish they wouldn't make them sing songs from this genre (or disco, for that matter). I mean, really, they're trying to find someone hip and current, who can appeal to the modern-day teenage masses and sell a bajillion records CDs. Granted Adam, Kris, and possibly Allison will be able to make the songs current but it's a tough sell.

What I wish is that they would find some really good songwriters to write a cropload of NEW stuff for the Idol contestants to sing each week and then we'll see who's hip and current. They only do the original song thing for the final 2 and they usually pick some smaltzy dreck to force down our throats. Blech.

04-23-09, 10:44 AM (EST)
Click to EMail zazzy Click to send private message to zazzy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Speculation/Wish List Thread"
They can't even get good enough songs for the coronation song...or to fill up an entire album for David Cook or Carrie U (not every song on their albums is a stunner)...so I don't think they could find enough new stuff for all the idols each week. People might wind up judging the song more than the singer.

04-23-09, 10:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail grit Click to send private message to grit Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Speculation/Wish List Thread"
*sigh*

Yeah, I know. But the title of this thresd does include the words "Wish List".

Hey! Isn't Kara supposed to be some hotshot composer? Maybe she could write songs for the Idols!

kingfish 20752 desperate attention whore postings

04-23-09, 12:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Speculation/Wish List Thread"
Good idea. Expanding a little, I'd like to see a Stephen Foster week, a whistling week, a yodeling week, and a week when everybody sings their interpretation of the Crawdad song (you get a line and I'll get a pole, Honey...)

I have all these good ideas, but will they listen?...Noooooooo.

04-23-09, 01:13 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Speculation/Wish List Thread"
Ooh! Ooh! How about a "singing while underwater" week? Whoever doesn't drown, wins AI!

04-23-09, 05:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Speculation/Wish List Thread"
And in addition to a save, they can have the judges vote to Drown!

more_cowbell 60 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

04-23-09, 01:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail more_cowbell Click to send private message to more_cowbell Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Speculation/Wish List Thread"
Yodeling week would be cool. "Riiicolaaaaa...."

I vote for Epic Doom Metal week, Cuban Wiicore Folk Trance week, and "Songs That End With The Word Mayonnaise".

niteowl0205 136 desperate attention whore postings

04-24-09, 03:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail niteowl0205 Click to send private message to niteowl0205 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Speculation/Wish List Thread"
"Songs That End
>With The Word Mayonnaise".

I snorted! and I can name 3.........

TxSheCat 30 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

04-26-09, 09:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TxSheCat Click to send private message to TxSheCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Speculation/Wish List Thread"
Wellllll, okay, but if you include all the above and DON'T have a "Lawrence Welk Week", then you're missing out on a whole new set of fans! (HAHAHA - made my ownself laugh!)

DoodleBug 5133 desperate attention whore postings

04-26-09, 05:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DoodleBug Click to send private message to DoodleBug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Speculation/Wish List Thread"
FUN theme!! I found this list of 56 songs... http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/store/artist/album/0,,2942637,00.html

Danny - I think he should sing "They Can't Take That Away From Me"... good or bad, I think Danny sounds a little like Michael Bolton. Michael did a Sinatra album (Bolton Swings Sinatra) and this song on the album sounds like Danny. "Night and Day" would be a good choice too.

Matt - my first choice for him would be "Try a Little Tenderness" with LOTS of soul at the piano; he could also do "That's Life" or I'd be ok with him singing "Mack The Knife"...

Allison - I choose "Stormy Weather" for her - Ella, Etta, Judy and Billie all did this one... either that, or "One for my Baby" (although I always think of Johnny Carson when I hear that song)

Kris - I'd put a guitar in his hands and have him sing"All of Me" or "When You're Smiling" in an up-tempo.

Adam - well, he could do any of the above really..."That Old Black Magic" is a fun song and one I would only choose for Adam. But.... I think Adam could have another "Adam" moment and this song is one only Adam could do.... "The Impossible Dream". Can you imagine???!! PLEASE let him sing this. If not, then bring on New York!

04-26-09, 07:54 PM (EST)
26. "RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Speculation/Wish List Thread"
So many good suggestions!

I would love to hear Kris sing All Of Me. I'm thinking of Willie's rendition and Kris could be somewhere inbetween Rat Pack and Willie.

Allison's--great choices.

Danny--Oh my. TCTTAFM would be one of those ironic choices if he were the shocking boot this week. Especially with Taylor as the former idol on Wednesday...it's all too predictable.... (some people compare Danny to Taylor, but not me. Taylor was much more of an entertainer than Danny is. Danny is more Huey Lewis; all he has to do is remake Huey's songs!)

Matt--TALT is Taylor's. Period. Matt would ruin it, I tell ya! No, Matt, no!

Can't begin to count the number of times I played that performance of Taylor's. One of my favs if not the fav from that season.

Adam--good ones, and that's what's got us tuning in...to find out what Adam chose and what will he do with it. I'm waiting for the a cappella song at F3. Calling it now.

04-27-09, 12:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DoodleBug Click to send private message to DoodleBug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Speculation/Wish List Thread"
I was definitely thinking of Willie when I chose that for Kris.

Ok, this will surprise you... Taylor sang TALT? I was never a Taylor fan, sorry, so that memory escapes me.

04-27-09, 02:30 PM (EST)
32. "RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Speculation/Wish List Thread"
Heart and Soul!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4345Ivwneo

Ahtumbreez 10456 desperate attention whore postings

04-27-09, 11:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Ahtumbreez Click to send private message to Ahtumbreez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Speculation/Wish List Thread"
I hope you like being dittoed 'cause I'm doing it. Love all these suggestions.

Mangalicious by The Slice
09/25/2008 Bre left for Iraq
04/29/2009 Bre leaves Iraq

Buy a Subway sandwich on Monday 4/27 and save Chuck!

04-27-09, 12:49 PM (EST)
30. "RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Speculation/Wish List Thread"
*bows*

Thank you very much, Tummy.

04-26-09, 05:27 PM (EST)
25. "RE: Top Five "Rat Pack" Theme Speculation/Wish List Thread"
Lambert doing Mr Bojangles would leave Paula in a puddle. Hopefully for good. A good portion of the audience would be with her.

vince3 17341 desperate attention whore postings

04-26-09, 08:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail vince3 Click to send private message to vince3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "Dare"
I dare any of the F5 to sing "Begin the Beguine"

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •