The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Is the Judge's Save a first-time failure?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-16-09, 06:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Is the Judge's Save a first-time failure?"
Simon said it: Matt has no chance to win -- and yet the quartet saved him anyway. At this point, I think the save was used for two reasons, neither of which had anything to do with Matt's performance.

1. Time was running out and AI didn't want to wind up with a classic Chenbot non-factor twist. Admittedly, this is still going to be a non-factor twist unless Matt winds up winning or knocking someone more skilled out by staying longer -- and he won't -- but the Powers That Dictate didn't want this one staying in the lockbox as the timer hit quadruple-zero. I think the judges were under real pressure to use the save last night no matter who was going out, and Simon finally caved.

2. The Powers That Be also want the promotion and ratings that come from having a double-elimination week.

As it was originally explained to us, the JS is there to keep a contestant in when America puts them out too early: give the next Oscar winner one more week to convince the public of hir talent. But Simon said it: Matt can't win. They weren't keeping someone more deserving than the rest of the group (or arguably anyone in the group) around long enough for the country to wake up and see what that contestant could do. The panel was using the save -- in order to use the save.

So to me, this first use was a fail. And the only real result may be Ryan taking ninety full minutes to pick out the Bottom Four...

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-tim... mhdallas 04-16-09 1
 RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-tim... geekboy 04-16-09 2
   RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-tim... TxMom2011 04-16-09 16
   RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-tim... DoodleBug 04-18-09 25
 RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-tim... Glow 04-16-09 3
 RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-tim... Ahtumbreez 04-16-09 4
   RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-tim... emydi 04-16-09 12
       RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-tim... zazzy 04-16-09 18
           RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-tim... emydi 04-16-09 19
 RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-tim... Snidget 04-16-09 5
   RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-tim... zazzy 04-16-09 7
   RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-tim... zazzy 04-16-09 8
       RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-tim... dragonflies 04-16-09 15
 RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-tim... zazzy 04-16-09 6
   RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-tim... Glow 04-16-09 10
 RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-tim... byoffer 04-16-09 9
   RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-tim... zazzy 04-16-09 11
       RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-tim... Glow 04-16-09 14
 RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-tim... mrc 04-16-09 13
 RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-tim... Loree 04-16-09 17
   RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-tim... zazzy 04-16-09 20
 Mixed result cahaya 04-16-09 21
 Proof of failure vince3 04-17-09 22
 Speaking of failed twists vince3 04-18-09 23
   RE: Speaking of failed twists cahaya 04-18-09 24
 RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-tim... Quepea 04-19-09 26

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

mhdallas 165 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-16-09, 06:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mhdallas Click to send private message to mhdallas Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-time failure?"
I couldn't agree more. The irony, of course, will be if Matt ends up leaving next week anyway (and he almost assuredly will, unless someone else seriously messes up). What a joke.

geekboy 1788 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

04-16-09, 07:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-time failure?"
LAST EDITED ON 04-16-09 AT 12:34 PM (EST)

Let me play Devil's Advocate.

I don't consider it a failure. Look at it this way...

Who would the next three boots be?

* Anoop
* Lil
* Matt

leaving the four 'favorites' of Adam, Danny, Kris and Allison.

It's obvious that they were NOT going to save Lil or Anoop, so barring a classic 'shock boot' which never happened this season, its become obvious that the person to use it on would be Matt, and he was the boot this week, so they used it.

That's my take. I think this will give him a massive boost of confidence that the boy obviously needs right now, and could potentially propel him farther than he would have made it otherwise.

But i'm a biased Matt-fan.

geekboy

"I think what Randy Travis was trying to say was 'What the hell was that?!'" - S. Cowell

TxMom2011 188 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-16-09, 10:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail TxMom2011 Click to send private message to TxMom2011 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-time failure?"
I'm with you on this one Geek.... It wouldnt make any sense to save the SAVE for another week.

Hopefully the stars will align and Lil and Anoop will go home next week.... they are consistently the worst of the folks remaining.

Besides - I want to see what all of them will do on Disco Nite...

Maybe Adam will sing Alicia Bridges' I Love The Nite Life... one of my all-time disco faves

......i like to boogie.. on the disco rooooouuuuunnnnddddd

whoo hoooo

DoodleBug 5133 desperate attention whore postings

04-18-09, 05:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DoodleBug Click to send private message to DoodleBug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-time failure?"
I agree. If only Simon had kept his (big) mouth shut about Matt's chances of winning.... whatever... makes the decision to save him silly really. I'm thrilled that they saved Matt for another week. He's better than Lil and Anoop and deserves to go further, IMO. I think it was perfectly done.

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

04-16-09, 07:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-time failure?"
I said in this thread I'd use it just to use it. I guess they feel there's no reason not to. Maybe Anoop, Lil, and Matt have been so far down in votes that it's assumed they'll be the three in the bottom three next week too. I just figure it's far to obvious that who they want to win is likely going to win so there's no stress. As long as they don't lose Adam along with Kris and/or Danny next week, they don't care.

"What he does is original, deliberate, and intentional. He knows what he's doing and why. He is so superior to any of the other contestants that he really doesn't even belong there." - Tahj

Ahtumbreez 10456 desperate attention whore postings

04-16-09, 07:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Ahtumbreez Click to send private message to Ahtumbreez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-time failure?"
It's really going to bite them in the butt if two of the chosen 4 are the bottom 2.

Mangalicious by The Slice
09/25/2008 Bre left for Iraq
04/29/2009 Bre leaves Iraq

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

04-16-09, 08:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-time failure?"
of course, I said, OOOOOH I hope douche goes next week...but alas....the frauen and sect will not let that happen

zazzy 4390 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

04-16-09, 12:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zazzy Click to send private message to zazzy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-time failure?"
Ok, I get "frauen" but what's "sect"? The guy side of fundie churches?

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

04-16-09, 12:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-time failure?"
not nec just guys the sect is his church.....the frauen don't have to be in the sect...

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

04-16-09, 07:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-time failure?"
LAST EDITED ON 04-16-09 AT 07:50 AM (EST)

I think this was likely the use it just to use it.

That episode with only 6 singing often is a problem. They don't seem to like doing the everyone sings twice thing that early, and with only 6 performances they have to put in a lot of filler and I'm guessing that doesn't hold the audience that well. There is probably some filler to song ratio that works to keep as many people on the show for the longest amount of time that makes the advertisers happy. (that is why they don't cut the coke stool interview even if they have time issues, they have to keep that company happy even if they run over).

I think if one of the "you are in the finals" people got booted before this time we would have seen the save.

Otherwise it would happen about now.

skips the hard to deal with 6 idol episode.

Makes you have to do it twice and I think they want more everyone sings twice episodes rather than fewer.

Losing 20% of the contestants at once might be a bit too much.

So I think for scheduling purposes if it was not used early on it was going to be used on 7th place no matter what just to make the episode run better.

ETA: The only way I could see them holding it for the 5th or 6th place would be if a front runner had been in the bottom three a couple of times and they knew they were at serious risk. Otherwise you can let what is going to happen happen and keep the amount of singing to the amount of filler at the right ratios.

04-16-09, 07:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail zazzy Click to send private message to zazzy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-time failure?"
LOL, they don't cut the Coke stool interview because the company paid big $$ to be a promotional sponsor and it's in a contract that they get certain segments!

04-16-09, 07:59 AM (EST)
8. "RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-time failure?"
P.S. I agree with your points, too, Snidget, about the timing of the use of the boot, but when Simon said "Matt, you can't win", it made the whole save thing a total sham. If he had just not said that...then it would have seemed more genuine. Instead, they save him but they don't want anyone to get the wrong idea about why they saved him. Good grief.

dragonflies 8051 desperate attention whore postings

04-16-09, 08:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dragonflies Click to send private message to dragonflies Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-time failure?"
I agree completely with Snidget, and your comments too zazzy. They had to use it this week, and totally made it look like a joke.

04-16-09, 07:54 AM (EST)
6. "RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-time failure?"
I agree 100% with Estee.

The show, through choice of theme for the week (Disco), singing placement, and judges' comments, can insure than the ones they want to last, will last. And that's Adam, Allison and Danny. They are ok if any of the other 4 go.

If it's Anoop, Matt and/or Lil, then their B3 appearances have already foreshadowed their boots. Lil hit the B2 this week even as a VFTW pick. Her fan base is dwindling.

And if Kris is booted next week, which would be his first time in the bottom 3, it would be the "shocking"* boot for the season and galvanize people to vote, vote, vote for their favs at top 5, 4, 3, and 2. *("shocking" to those of us who know who Kris is.)

There's no downside for the show saving Matt this week.

04-16-09, 08:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-time failure?"
("shocking" to those of us who know who Kris is.)

heh. awwww. It's true though.

"What he does is original, deliberate, and intentional. He knows what he's doing and why. He is so superior to any of the other contestants that he really doesn't even belong there." - Tahj

byoffer 15947 desperate attention whore postings

04-16-09, 08:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-time failure?"
I certainly agree with you Estee. I also agree with Snidget's analytical look at placement of the Judges' Save. Personally I think that the person who should have been saved was Alexis (right Corvis??). Unfortunately for her, she got booted at 11. If they had saved her, then they would have had a double boot the next week and gone from 11 to 9, without crowning a top 10 for the tour. She might have received a rebound vote and made top 9, but some 2 singers would have been booted the next week and screwed up the top 10 thing.

I understand why they introduced the JS. In past seasons there have been a few shocking boots. But some of those were very late (Melinda Doolittle) so even the JS would not have saved her (as per the current JS rules).

Mostly I think the producers just like all the drama that the JS introduced, and leaving it on the shelf would make it harder to "sell" next season.

It's Bachelor Love, which is like Monopoly Money in that it has no actual value outside the game. - frodis

04-16-09, 08:17 AM (EST)
11. "RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-time failure?"
They may have been concerned about the reception Adam would get. IMO he is this year's plant and TCO. A lot of the gay contestants have not made the top 10 or have not been overt about their orientation if they were in the top 10. There was no hiding Adam's orientation.

So, instead, we have the videos of his performances pre-AI all over you tube, some mainstream and some more extreme; and then early on the "kissing" pictures float to the surface. Even Bill O'Reilly tried to restir the pot weeks later about the pictures and he got nothing.

America is far from boycotting someone due to their sexuality. But AI wanted an insurance policy that, once the top 13 was underway , was just not needed except for the PR it would generate.

04-16-09, 08:28 AM (EST)
14. "RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-time failure?"
Total agreeance again, zazz.

I was just listening to some "new" Guns 'n Roses on the radio... as an aside. Chinese Democracy. Very interesting.

oh how I love Axl Rose.

mrc 10113 desperate attention whore postings

04-16-09, 08:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mrc Click to send private message to mrc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-time failure?"
In other words, Behold the Power of the Two Cougars!

Sigs by Bob about chalk dust. Pretty exciting stuff

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings

04-16-09, 11:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-time failure?"
I am guessing next week they will be very careful to place the singing position of those they want to save. We will not see Lil, Matt and Anoop singing in the final 3 positions. TPTB will be securing the safety of their faves by propping them up with good positions and positive praise. The ones they want gone will sing early and be ignored or panned.

I thought it was a waste to save Matt. But the show has been trying to push Matt for weeks. He has had alot of good singing positions and praise at times when I did not think he deserved it. Even lastnight he was the star of the Ford commercial and the group sing. The audience is just not that interested in him.

04-16-09, 12:49 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-time failure?"
Agree. I checked and Matt's singing postitions have been as favorable as Adam's and the most favorable on the show! What's up with that? Both of them have sung in the last half of the show 5 of 6 times from the top 12/13 through the top 7.

You could say that Matt's has been a slight bit better because he got to sing next-to-last 2x and the pimp spot 1x while Adam got to sing next-to-last 1x and pimp spot 1x.

Compare this to Anoop: no pimp or near pimp spot and sung in the first half of the show 4 out of 6x.

Lil's getting the pimp spot this week will push her back to 1 or 2 next week.

Kris getting the near pimp puts him right with her. Kris has never opened the show (but neither has Adam but I doubt the producers would have him go first at this time); next week looks like it could be the week he does.

So: 1) Kris 2) Lil 3) Anoop 4) Matt 5) Adam 6)Allison and 7) Danny

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

04-16-09, 08:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "Mixed result"
LAST EDITED ON 04-16-09 AT 08:41 PM (EST)

... with a wasted save on a no hoper.

Then again, any of the bottom three or even the next three need any hope they can get with Adam rocking the way he is.

The save's burnt and we'll see two pretenders drop next week, and every week after.

ed. conj.

vince3 17341 desperate attention whore postings

04-17-09, 08:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail vince3 Click to send private message to vince3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "Proof of failure"
Simon had to be convinced/coerced to use the bloody thing!

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/paula-abdul-simon-cowell-wasnt-sure-about-saving-matt-giraud-8825.php

vince3 17341 desperate attention whore postings

04-18-09, 12:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail vince3 Click to send private message to vince3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "Speaking of failed twists"
Turns out Kara's not getting along with the rest of the bunch.....

http://tinyurl.com/dlod42

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

04-18-09, 03:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Speaking of failed twists"
Yet more brak-a-brak by the judges. Of course they won't agree.

Whatever they say, with most peoples' judgment based on what is shown on network, the vote will decide.

Wayang kulit puppet show by tribe

Kara is an interesting juxtaposition with the original(?) three. Having said that, Randy's the guy I most go along with.

Quepea 313 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

04-19-09, 01:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Quepea Click to send private message to Quepea Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Is the Judge's Save a first-time failure?"
Why did they not save Carmen or Heather?

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •