The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Gina article...Spoilers?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-01-02, 04:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Gina article...Spoilers?"
Managerr found this interview that just came out and posted it on the Paschal thread, but there's a bunch of different stuff in there worth talking about in it so I think it's worth a thread all its own. I bolded some things I found particularly interesting...

http://ocalastyle.com/0502_stories/0502survivor.html

When Moby D!ick author Herman Melville landed on the remote island of Nuku Hiva in 1842, he witnessed a flawed Pacific paradise of tropical mysteries, lush landscapes, and cannibalistic natives. He recorded the events of this tiny island in Typee, his best-selling novel of the time. More than 160 years later, the contestants for the top-rated Survivor series on CBS would land on the very beaches Melville himself walked. Included in this group was Gina Crews, a nature center guide and former high school teacher from Gainesville, Florida.

After a whirlwind week of media events following her dismissal from the show, I caught up with Gina for this exclusive feature interview for Ocala Style. Despite not winning the $1 million dollar top prize, the down-to-earth 29-year-old graduate of the University of Florida answered each of the questions directly and honestly, much in the same way she approached Survivor: Marquesas.

As we sat in the bleachers at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, she was poised, relaxed, and still very tanned from the 39-day taping as a member of the Maraamu tribe.

So how did a Gainesville girl get on Survivor?

I have no idea. I asked the producers after I got on the show and they said they know within the first 15 seconds of watching the audition video. I tried three times before, without even as much as a call back, and then I got in on the fourth.

Did you do a different audition tape each time?

Yeah, the first one I just sat down and talked about myself, but I told pretty much the same information. The next one I tried to be funny. Since it was going to be in Africa, I made this big, 10-foot snake and I had this stuffed lion and I jumped on it and said, "I’m not afraid of anything!" Then I plunged into the water trying to wrestle the fake snake and I’ve got this mud all over my face. It was hilarious. This year, I just put on my Watermelon Queen crown and just started talking.

Was it your idea to go on Survivor?

When I first saw it I thought, This is the coolest show, and I just knew it was something I wanted to do. I just knew it would be an awesome adventure if I got the opportunity.

They must do background checks.

Before they send you to Los Angeles, you have to sign something giving them the right to look at your credit, everything. You pretty much give them your life once you get to Los Angeles.

Do you think they already knew Rob was a snake?

They do. They cast people in certain roles. I was the All-American type. Sarah was the sexy girl. They’re casting these different personalities and if you fit one of those I think it makes it easier for you to get on the show. All I wanted was to make the first interview -- I was never expecting to be told that I actually made the show.

Now, you’re not allowed to tell your friends and family about the outcome of the show. But they knew you were going, right?

Just my family. I had been telling my friends for months about doing an Outward Bound program that started around the same time as the Survivor taping. I was talking about this long before I applied to the show, so when I was gone that’s what everybody else thought I was doing. The only problem was when my friends started asking questions afterward about where the program took me.

You didn’t send fake postcards that were all postmarked "Marquesas" did you?

No, no, no, not at all. Once I left we left for LA they told us to make our final calls, that it would be the last time we would talk to them until December 21.

When did you actually leave?

November 7th.

The CBS Survivor website is really cool -- it has a lot of information on the Marquesas, including some interesting Survival Tips (see sidebar). How much of that did they prepare you for before you went over there?

They didn’t even tell us where we were going. The only thing Mark Burnett said when I was selected was, "Be prepared for a tropical climate." But on the internet there are a lot of Survivor sites and many of them were leaking the location, saying it was going to be the Marquesas. Then, three weeks before I was to leave, CBS sent a book list that included Herman Melville’s Typee. In the book, he lands in the Marquesas, so I thought that’s where we’d be going. Mark wanted us to get into that setting because the book explains the island and its customs.

And the whole part about cannibalism didn’t throw you off?

Not at all! I knew that couldn’t do that to us.

Did the other Survivor contestants read the book?

I think about half of us did. I read the whole thing and thought it was great!

Does strategy start immediately? Even when you’re on the boat headed to the island?

It started when we were in LA for the first interview. People are sizing you up right away. Sarah and Rob saw each other at the hotel and communicated, not talking, but they had already formed an alliance. That’s when the game actually started.

It seems like there’s more strategy on this episode.

The first thing Mark told us was not to expect anything. He said, "Don’t expect there to be a merge, or two teams, or anything because I know how to be play this game better than any of you." So when we heard that, I think a lot the other members thought, Why bother making a team now? I know that’s what hurt my team. Because they were always thinking of another angle.

On many of the Survivor fan sites, you and Hunter were predicted to go far into the game, certainly past the merging of the two tribes. But on the last two installments there has been an early pattern: a hard-working tribe and a lazy one.

Sure. When I first saw my tribe I thought we were going to kick their butt. We had the young, strong people but when we started paddling the boat in, I realized we had some real idiots on my team.

Like who?

Well, first of all Sean was scared to death of the water, but then I realized that Hunter knew so much more than the others did. From Day 1 Rob and Sean had a problem with that, and it wasn’t so much a leadership issue, it was just Hunter’s knowledge.

Hunter, of course, was voted off before you. He seemed especially vulnerable because he was forced into a leadership role early on.

It was a stupid move, though, because we were still a team at that point. Is it worth it to vote someone off to feel safe when you’re probably going to lose all the tribal challenges?

It’s like they were playing an individual game from the very beginning.

That’s the way it was. For us it was like a team of three, with the other five just doing their own thing. The game actually begins when you have to go to tribal council and vote somebody off. The other tribe didn’t have to go until Day 15.

They were much more of a team -- at first. But as soon as they had to go, the bickering started for them, too.

You’re right.

What’s a typical day like in the Marquesas?

As soon as the sun was up, we were up. It was probably around 4:30 or 5:00am, but I don’t know for sure since none of us had a watch. We usually went to bed about an hour after sunset since there wasn’t really anything to do except sit by the fire.

Watching the show, it seemed like you and Hunter were the early risers; the others were content to sleep in and let you do the work.

We knew that there would be a time when we could kick back, but that was after building a shelter, starting a fire, and gathering some food. We thought that we could work hard the first six or eight days, and then we could get lots of rest. The others didn’t seem to realize that.

How intrusive are the cameras?

As soon as we got on the boat, we got used to them because they’re right in your face. On the island, the cameras only followed us around when you went off with another person from the tribe. Then, they were right there in case something interesting was being said. If Hunter and I were going off to get water by ourselves, they would send somebody with us, especially when it was obvious that we were on our own within the tribe.

Yeah, it seems that if you had been able to win the last team immunity challenge, you would have probably survived well past the merge. Do you think that you might have been voted off just one week too early?

Sure, I think about that. I really believe that if they had merged one week earlier I would have made it all the way to the final four. I wanted to compete in the individual immunities more than anything else, and I knew I would have stepped up to the challenge. I do think about how close I was to the million dollars, but I was there for the experience and the adventure, so I was happy.

When you’re watching the show now and you hear some of Rob’s comments about the other members, what do you think? He didn’t exactly hold back.

At the time we didn’t know he was making all those rude comments about John and Robert. But we knew that Rob was up to something -- you’d have to be stupid to think anything else.

When Rob left the show he said, "I was trying to be funny and joke around. I hope we can all be friends." How can that be possible?

Definitely.

But you’re aware when you’re being interviewed on the show that they can use any part of what you say, right?

Sure, like in the first episode when I said I was already in love with Hunter. They asked me what I thought about each of my tribemates, so I just went down the line: Rob, Sean, Sarah, and when they got to Patricia, I said, "I love her; she’s the best." Next was Hunter and I just said the same thing. But I knew when I said it that they were going to use it on the show.

So when they talked to you, you were just trying to be yourself. For others, like Rob, they were providing sound bites.

He wanted to be funny, and he made the show. People enjoyed watching him -- he made a jerk of himself -- but it made for good TV. Of course, he knew it.

Well, there’s still Sean…

Yeah, that’s right.

What was your strategy?

I wanted to be real, and sometimes the questions got really deep, especially at tribal council. It got to the point where people weren’t being honest with themselves. This was reality TV, and I’m me, so I was just going to play me.

Was that your plan all along?

No. When I left, I told my mom, "I’m going to lie. I’m going to play this stupid, country girl." But I never had the opportunity to do that because some had to step up and actually do the work. I wasn’t going to show my strengths -- that was my gameplan -- but when I got out there, somebody had to something or we were all going to starve.

What was Hunter’s strategy?

The same -- that’s why we bonded right away. We were both just on a great adventure. We still talk every day.

You know there’s a lot of romantic speculation about you two…

Just friends. Just friends.

Are the Survivor contestants making plans to see each other now that the show is almost over?

I know everybody’s seen at least two or three people outside the game already. I plan to see Paschal and Kathy in a couple of weeks.

What about Peter? He was the first to leave, so the viewers don’t really know him at all.

He freaked out on us. Sarah would have been the first voted off, but Peter woke up on the day of the tribal council telling everyone a different story. Of course Rob has a big mouth so he immediately went to Hunter and told him what Peter said. That’s why we voted him off, because he was creating so much negativity so early in the game. I really believe Sarah would have been the first to go if he hadn’t done that.

In hindsight, do you think things would have been better for you if Sarah had been voted off right away?

Rob probably would have worked harder. With Sarah gone, Rob would have been a different person. But it probably wouldn’t have changed the outcome; we might have won a few more challenges, though. I just got stuck on the wrong team.

What’s it like watching the show now, as it unfolds, with friends and family?

I enjoy it, but I don’t let them talk while it’s on. I never said a word about the outcome; my own family didn’t know the night I was going to be voted off.

Does CBS keep you there after your last tribal council?

Yeah, we all come home together.

But you didn’t say a word.

No, because I wanted them to experience it just as I had. When we lost, I wanted to them to think, What’s going to happen at tribal council?

Was it hard to keep it secret for so long?

No, it was fun. Everyone respected the fact that I couldn’t say anything, that I had signed a contract.

Gainesville’s a pretty small town. Even this morning when we were doing the photo shoot, people recognized you as Gina, the Survivor contestant. Is that pretty typical?

It’s been nice. Nobody’s been really freaky or anything. I do get some really nice mail, especially kids telling me that I was their favorite Survivor. Some want a signed picture or an autograph -- it’s been really sweet. But I got noticed more when I went to Sarasota with some friends. I was bombarded in every single store with people wanting autographs and pictures. It was strange because I was so out of my element. But I love talking to people about Survivor; I can share the experience.

Of course you know a fan set up www.ginacrews.com as a "tribute" to you. Is that pretty weird?

Yeah, but it makes me feel really good that somebody would do that. I’m sure I’ll get in touch with him soon to say thanks.

I noticed that there were a lot of kids on your recent on-line CBS chat. Your perspective on the show is a little different than, say Rob’s -- do you feel like you’re more of a role model in that situation?

It makes me feel good. I taught high school, so I wanted to be role model then, so that was with me when I was on the show. I knew at some point in the game I might have to lie -- like playing poker -- but I never wanted to be mean about it. I would rather lose the million dollars than to have everyone dislike me.

You’ve just come off a pretty intense media blitz this last week: CBS This Morning, The Howard Stern Show, The Rosie O’Donnell Show, Entertainment Tonight. Which one was the easiest show to do?

Rosie. As soon as I sat down, she hugged me and said, "You were my favorite." She was so nice and it was so comfortable.

On all of the shows, you were very candid and honest.

I was always wondering what they were going to ask, especially about Sean and Rob, but I knew I had to be brutally honest. In the game, I hated Sean and Rob; I felt they were stupid in the way they played it.

What kind of endorsement deals are you getting?

I was asked to be a spokesperson for Planet Rascals, a company that makes stuffed toys based on real-life animals. When somebody buys one, they "adopt" the actual animal, with part of the proceeds going back to the zoo and conservation funds. I’m so excited about it! I also have a promotional appearance scheduled for Sierra Mist in Cleveland. I’m pretty busy right up until the time I have to leave for the final episode.

Were you paid by CBS while you’re away on the show?

Yes, but we don’t know how much yet. The longer you stay, the more you get.

I know you can’t tell us, but do you know who won?

We know who the final two are because we’re all very close. But nobody knows who won -- we have our ideas -- but the show has proved to expect the unexpected. So keep watching because it gets even better -- I can guarantee that.

Bebo thoughts:
- As managerr pointed out in the Paschal thread, if she visits both Kathy and Paschal together, then that could explain Paschal's time off. Or, even if Kathy's not there, he might want to take a couple of days off to get to show Gina around the town while she's visiting him.
- She could have made the final four if they hadn't lost the final IC? Is she saying that things look good for K/P/N?
- She disliked how Sean played the game while in the game. That could just be a narrow statement on how they are interacted (or didn't) before the twist. Or it could mean that he didn't win.
- They know the final two and have a pretty good idea who won. Hmm, doesn't sound like another 4-3 vote to me.

fluent in Sarcastic, Blahblah, and Mockery

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Jiffy's History Lesson dabo 05-01-02 1
 RE: Gina article...Spoilers? George Tirebiter 05-01-02 2
   RE: Gina article...Spoilers? SurvivinDawg 05-01-02 3
       RE: Gina article...Spoilers? managerr 05-01-02 4
           RE: Gina article...Spoilers? SurvivinDawg 05-01-02 5
 Least he got further than you. oGenesis 05-01-02 6
   RE: Least he got further than you. Teddy_Bear 05-02-02 7
   RE: Least he got further than you. JeffGator 05-02-02 9
 RE: Gina article...Spoilers? drawde236 05-02-02 8
   RE: Gina article...Spoilers? Granvil the 4th 05-02-02 10

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

05-01-02, 05:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Jiffy's History Lesson"
I find it interesting that they were sent material, including Melville's book, three weeks prior to leaving for the game. Until now I would have thought Tammy the Reporter would have the best edge in the history lesson challenge (which may be IC this week, we've got nothing to go on), but it may not simply be a matter of listening to Jiffy as those who took the time to study the reading material would also have a leg up. Neleh the student, Paschal the judge, or Sean the teacher may be able to put an end to Tammy's immunity streak if they studied up as they should have.

ARRRRRRR!!!!

George Tirebiter 2982 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

05-01-02, 05:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail George%20Tirebiter Click to send private message to George%20Tirebiter Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Gina article...Spoilers?"
The main thing I think you're focusing on right now is the "I plan to get together with Paschal and Kathy in a couple weeks," right? Well, not only do magazines typically have a huge lead time (this is a June edition, you notice) but they make reference to the fact that Gina JUST came off her week of post-boot media stops the previous week--The Early Show, Rosie, Letterman, etc. That means the interview was done almost a month ago, and if "a couple weeks" means "two," they've ALREADY gotten together. I don't think this particular statement is quite the spoiler it seems at first glance.

GT

Always be sincere, even when you don't mean it.

SurvivinDawg 6816 desperate attention whore postings

05-01-02, 05:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivinDawg Click to send private message to SurvivinDawg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Gina article...Spoilers?"
I agree with GT. The timing suggests Gina has already visited Paschal and Kathy.

A couple more points relative to this: We also heard that Kathy visited Hunter (or vice versa). Now we're hearing that Kathy and Paschal visit with Gina. Gina COULD have been saying "Paschal" as a way to mask that she was really going to visit Hunter.

Also, while we know Gina and Kathy had things in common and became close, if it IS Paschal that they visited, that would indicate that Paschal and Kathy are on good terms... SO that means they never had a problem of betrayal of each other on the island. Ergo, they stick together.

"Pappy, you smuggled! I'm so proud of you!" -- Neleh Dennis

*** Contradictions don't exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

managerr 1959 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-01-02, 06:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail managerr Click to send private message to managerr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Gina article...Spoilers?"
The problem is there wasn't that much time from when Gina got booted and when the article was written. Gina got booted 4/7 and started her media week 4/8. This interiew took place when her media interview tour was already over, which would be at least 4/15.

If they waited until a week after she was back--4/22 (it was a sit down interview), then the "couple of weeks" fits perfectly with Pappy's "vacation".

SurvivinDawg 6816 desperate attention whore postings

05-01-02, 07:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivinDawg Click to send private message to SurvivinDawg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Gina article...Spoilers?"
Here's another little point in FAVOR of a Pappy boot this week: If he and Gina go to Vermont to see Kathy, then he's close to NYC and wouldn't need to fly up the day of the boot. The timing would be that much more perfect in that regard.

"Pappy, you smuggled! I'm so proud of you!" -- Neleh Dennis

*** Contradictions don't exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

oGenesis 26 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

05-01-02, 08:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail oGenesis Click to send private message to oGenesis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "Least he got further than you."
Sean may not have won but he still got further than you Gina.

Teddy_Bear 1675 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

05-02-02, 00:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Teddy_Bear Click to send private message to Teddy_Bear Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Least he got further than you."
I'm sure I'm not the first to tell you this, but this isn't BASHERS.

No one knows at this point how Sean did, including you.

The purpose of this thresd it to gleen any spoiler information from the Gina interview; if you want to dis her, you're in the wrong forum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Kathy: I don't want to have to be the blonde, bitchy one.

Act Now: Keep HOPE Alive !!!

Eleanor Roosevelt: No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

JeffGator 1401 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

05-02-02, 03:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail JeffGator Click to send private message to JeffGator Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Least he got further than you."
Sean may not have won but he still got further than you Gina.

Meet oGenesis--the single most worthless poster on survivorblows.com

Richard Hatch/Tina Wesson/Ethan Zohn/Kathy O'Brien
"There's some milk in the fridge that's about to go bad...and there it goes."--Bobby Hill
--Pappy's getting a little happy

drawde236 317 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

05-02-02, 01:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail drawde236 Click to send private message to drawde236 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Gina article...Spoilers?"
LAST EDITED ON 05-02-02 AT 02:13 AM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 05-02-02 AT 02:06 AM (EST)

I may be facing the wrath of the clown with this, but something in that interview is gnawing at me and I want to comment on it. If we are to believe that the jury has a good idea who the winner is, wouldn't that rule out the final two combinations of Neleh and Paschal & Sean and Vee? They would split the vote, leaving the jury (and Gina) less confident as to the winner. Since the final IC is an endurance won by a female in the last three Survivors, this would leave Tammy and Kathy (Neleh and Vee would pick Paschal and Sean). In order for Tammy or Kathy to have a majority, wouldn't they have to pick Sean or Vee (NOTE: I am using common sense and this isn't typically used in picking the final two)? Enough speculating, bring on the clown.

Granvil the 4th 38 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

05-02-02, 10:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Granvil%20the%204th Click to send private message to Granvil%20the%204th Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Gina article...Spoilers?"
I had a similar train of thought, but from a slightly different angle. I've been thinking for quite some time that, "nobody would want to go up against Pappy or Sweatpea in the F2." IF what Bebo says is true - They know the final two and have a pretty good idea who won. Hmm, doesn't sound like another 4-3 vote to me. - then maybe P or N DID end up in the F2. Whether it ends up P/N/K or P/N/S or whatever, with the final immunity being won by the third person . . . that would certainly lead to a vote that they had their ideas about who won. What do you think?

G

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •