The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Fence advice"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-16-07, 12:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Fence advice"
I know I started a ranting about my neighbor thread, but this is a more practical what can you tell me about fences thing.

Cost-wise I can probably put up a lot more Chain-Link fence. It's ugly, but I can swing the cost of going all the way down the side of the house easier, and based on how they let the dog out on the chain I need all the way down that side, not just the back yard.

I'm also concerned with wood fencing that it might be easier for the jerks to "accidently" do damage to it, and the dog is pretty rambunctious and suing them for the cost of repairing the more expensive fence does not appeal.

How durable is a wood privacy fence compared to chain-link. At least with chain-link I wouldn't have to worry about maintanence where I would need to spray stuff on their side of the fence.

I did find a vinyl outdoor privacy screen that I could get that was about the cost of one section of vinyl privacy fence, and I could always just put a couple of those on that side to block their view. The back yard is not that deep. The advantage of getting 2-3 of those is if I move I can take them, and that just blocks the one side I really want blocked. And if they finally get divorced and move I can sell them.

I may eventually get a little dog. I'd like that. How well do various fence choices work at keeping little dogs in. I mean there is always the option of doing an invisible fence along the fence to train the dog that it needs to stay away from the edge if it won't contain the dog on it's own.

It's a tribe creation!

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Fence advice dabo 01-16-07 1
   RE: Fence advice Snidget 01-16-07 2
 RE: Fence advice frodis 01-16-07 3
   RE: Fence advice Snidget 01-17-07 6
 RE: Fence advice batts 01-17-07 4
 RE: Fence advice Silvergirl1 01-17-07 5
   RE: Fence advice Snidget 01-17-07 7
 RE: Fence advice samboohoo 01-17-07 8
   RE: Fence advice Snidget 01-17-07 12
       RE: Fence advice samboohoo 01-17-07 14
 RE: Fence advice Penelope Le Pew 01-17-07 9
   RE: Fence advice Snidget 01-17-07 10
       RE: Fence advice Penelope Le Pew 01-17-07 11
 RE: Fence advice Dakota 01-17-07 13
 RE: Fence advice Karchita 01-17-07 15
 Here's a perfect solution IceCat 01-17-07 16
   RE: Here's a perfect solution Snidget 01-17-07 18
 RE: Fence advice mysticwolf 01-17-07 17
 RE: Fence advice Snidget 01-22-07 19
   RE: Fence advice Ahtumbreez 01-22-07 20
       RE: Fence advice Snidget 01-22-07 21
 Update. Snidget 01-25-07 22
   RE: Update. Snidget 01-28-07 23

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

01-16-07, 03:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Fence advice"
Whatever you go with, old boots or shoes atop the fenceposts is way classy.

Seriously, if your neighbor has a critter that makes problems, that is your neighbor's problem, call critter control. But if you just want a privacy fence for yourself, think a serious lot of wood with pointy tops, the higher the better.

Hardwood, of course. Durably treated.

But, honestly, if your neighbor cannot control the critter, call critter control. That is what they are there for.

01-16-07, 05:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Fence advice"
It's that they can't control themselves, their lawn mower, their trash/dog toys, etc. The critter is probably the nicest of the things they can't control and it's almost feral.

They have been trying to take several lawn mower passes of my yard since we moved in.

I got yelled at for planting trees in MY yard because they were in the section she tries to stake claim to. I finally had to put concrete circles around the trees to keep them from inching the mow line over and over, and still they curve in between the concrete as far as they can. (and they are crepe myrtles, they don't get too tall, they don't drop big leaves in their yard, and they bloom in the heat of the summer. They are the prettiest pink Fvckyou that you can imagine...huh maybe she heard the stay off my yard fvcktard and not the pretty pink part when she yelled at me)

They need boundaries set by other people.

I'm torn about the privacy fence thing. What I don't like is that then others could hop the fence/get in the gate and move around without being seen. We've had a few shed breakins and the amount of light and visibility (not to mention the near feral dog barking, or the retired police dog two doors down barking) seems to make me feel a bit safer.

Although it might make being in my own yard feel more like it is my home.

I'll see what the prices are. And I'll ask them about how hard it would be to make the fence need to be repaired.

Fence estimate guys come on Thursday before work *hops*

I should not be this excited. I think I've wanted this for a long time I just couldn't find a way to justify it.

It's a tribe creation!

frodis 4442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

01-16-07, 05:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frodis Click to send private message to frodis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Fence advice"
I don't have any actual fence advice. I don't have one, and am very fortunate to have great neighbors (a blessing I don't take for granted!)

However, if you don't mind the chain-link, you could always pretty it up by planting some sort of creeping vine or rosebushes or even grapes, something that will eventually entwine itself all long the chain link and look lovely.

When I was a kid, my friend's parents had grapevines growing all along their chain-link fence. Her mom used to make grape juice and grape jelly that was the most delicious stuff, ever.

Another beautiful Arkie sig

01-17-07, 07:13 AM (EST)
6. "RE: Fence advice"
We do have some native grapes here in NC that are pretty tasty, that might be interesting to try to see if I can grow them. They are really big compared to other grapes (like over an inch across) and they are supposed to do well in this area, what with being native and all.

It's a tribe creation!

batts 1731 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

01-17-07, 03:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail batts Click to send private message to batts Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Fence advice"
The 'fence people' were going to charge me over 3200.00 to build my privacy fence, so I did it myself, and DID it for about $500 which saved me around 2700.00.

The 500 dollars I spent was on

300 pickets $300 (on sale for 99 cents each)
20 posts $55
15 bags quickcrete $40
2 BIG boxes screws $20
50 2X4's $100

I was very careful when I set the posts to get them perfectly level, AS WELL AS perfectly in line, while the cement dried. I only set around 5 posts a day, and was pretty careful there. Nobody wants a crooky fence.

I had fun doing my privacy fence. I made it fun by having lots of cokes on standby, listening to music as I worked, and the knowledge that once it was done, it would add to the overall value of my home if and when I sell this property.

When I screwed in the pickets, I strung a thread from the picket on the far left side, to the picket on the far right side (tops) so that every picket as I screwed it in to the 2X4's would be perfectly even.

I only prefer a wooden privacy fence because, well, I like to have privacy. I like working in my little tomato and carrot garden without feeling like hawks eyes are on my back, from neighbors from Hell, you know?

..... and if you think that putting together a privacy fence is too difficult, you might look at it like I did, and make a goal of only putting up 1 section a day.
One section = 8 feet of done deal privacy which is
2 posts
3 2X4's
2 bags quickcrete
17 pickets

good luck on whatever you choose!

Silvergirl1 9342 desperate attention whore postings

01-17-07, 04:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Silvergirl1 Click to send private message to Silvergirl1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Fence advice"

Well, DH is going to put up a split rail fence as soon as he finishes the driveway, which will be in the springtime, but buying pressure treated wood is expensive, and it tends to rot over time anyway. We are making out better because we were offered some fencing materials from the neighbor, who wanted part of her fence taken down, because of the maintenance. I could ask him more about the costs, but you'd probably be better off with the chain link fence. I've seen chain link fencing with plastic strips inserted that make it like a privacy fence, because you can't see inside the yard. Someone in Baltimore City did this to chain link fencing that was hiding an RV, and it was effective. Maybe you can ask the chain link fence installation people about it.

As for your neighbor's claims to the property line, have you obtained a copy of the plat for your home's lot? We know where our markers are on our property, so we know exactly where the property lines are, and let our neighbors know where the markers are, so there are no disputes. I'm guessing getting it surveyed is out of the question, because of the cost, but when the house is bought or sold, it is usually part of the contract, so you should check your paperwork.

Oh, and good luck on getting a dog. I will be getting one after the new fence goes in, so yes, I have to wait. *sigh*

01-17-07, 07:24 AM (EST)
7. "RE: Fence advice"
I bought the house new, so I have the original plat stuff I got when I bought the house.

I've noticed the pins on that side are gone. I'm not sure if the one that has a fence on it already is just pounded in or what with the fence. I thought it was there after they built it but I haven't seen it lately. The on in front, I didn't straighten it up and pound it in, but I noticed it was gone one day, it was bent over and it was a mowing issue but I prefered to have it where I could see it. I know I wouldn't have been able to bend it back straight. I never saw the one on the other front side, but the back one on that side is still there, at least the last time I mowed. I use it to aim the lawn mower.

They just think that they should be able to do what they want without regard to things like it isn't their land. They used to mow the strip of land behind our lots that is a small rise. The neighbors on the other side can't see that part of their land so they tend to ignore it. She actually yelled at me because I wasn't mowing the land that wasn't mine. Telling her it IS NOT MY LAND made no difference to her. I do not know if she ever talked to the people that actually own that strip of land. I swear this lady needs her own reality TV show. It would be hysterical if she wasn't my neighbor.

It's a tribe creation!

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings

01-17-07, 08:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Fence advice"
Chain-links are, of course, a "no no" in our neighborhood. We have a wooden fence, which was there when we moved it. It's been there for 10 years, and it has shown no sign of age.

At our old house, dh built a split rail himself, and it wasn't too expensive. He also put the wire around it, and it looked fine. We have a house in our neighborhood with the same thing.

The vinyl is probably the best, but it's so expensive. Big investment.

As far as an electric fence, we had an issue come up in our HOA meeting on Monday regarding roaming cats. Three dog owners in attendance said that if their dogs want to get out bad enough (i.e. to chase a cat, etc.), they can just run right through the electric fence.

Good luck.

Thanks Tribe!

Don't blame the coutour.

01-17-07, 12:21 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Fence advice"
I don't think I could swing the vinyl, but a vinyl white picket fence would look really good with the house. I'm just concerned they'd be over agressive with the weed eater from the other side and "accidently" chew up the bottom. At least with chain link the string will die long before the wood or vinyl chips.

(maybe they could do the street facing thing in the vinyl, then the sides in chain. That could look nice, maybe?)

The houses behind me along the main road that have fences (~1/3) all have privacy fences but then again they are on the main road and a bit exposed. I'm not sure any were professionally installed (I know a couple of them weren't) and they are not all that good looking. One has the ugly side facing out, and none of them did the whole the fence top stays level so they can do some funky things where there is that hillock at the back of the property.

The only peep on my cul-de-sac that has a fence is two doors up and it is chain-link 4 feet tall (the first owner had dogs), so it would match that.

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings

01-17-07, 01:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Fence advice"
Could you do a chain link and then plant some evergreens? Lelands, I think?

Thanks Tribe!

Don't blame the coutour.

Penelope Le Pew 2031 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

01-17-07, 09:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Penelope%20Le%20Pew Click to send private message to Penelope%20Le%20Pew Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Fence advice"
LAST EDITED ON 01-17-07 AT 09:45 AM (EST)

We have dog problem here too.

Pepe and I will definitely go ahead with pre-treated wood fence this spring without doubt.

I also would like fence in front, between neighbour's and my porches as I do not like to see them ever again. I would stain the wood (front only) for decoration purpose with evergreen and perennials (flowers).

Update: we got police involved on December 23rd as they personally took it out on my daughter by not stopping the vehicle for her when she walked on the sidewalk/their driveway. Of course, they denied. They threw out my daughter's neighbourhood flyers in the middle of the street. We put mothballs in the backyard as 'fence' as I was very angry at that time (police, daughter etc). Animal Society came and removed mothballs and left us a note to call them. I called them and explained everything. I was very disappointed in them because they did not take action on neighbour dog's feces in the first place. I emailed with the attachment - pictures, police report number, City Hall, etc. They apologized and gave me SPCA supervisor to request the action. I told them to wait and see if things calm down at this present time. As of now, things seem ok. I mean, why all this trouble, just for their precious dog!!!!! I am pissed off. Dont get me wrong, I love animals... but do not take it out on me, children!!! or property!!!!!! thank you!

01-17-07, 10:25 AM (EST)
10. "RE: Fence advice"
I've heard throught the grapevine that my neighbor threatened to call the animal cops on one of the neighbors as she said the dog got itself tangled in one of the trees (it hadn't). However the dog pen they keep dog in is too small IMO for a dog that size. It gets virtually no attention or exercise. Not in anyway leash trained that I can see. (and if I were married to her you know extremely long walks for the dog would be needed, several times a day). The run is too short so even though they have a frame for a tarp the dog which has nothing else to do quickly destroys the tarp and they take forever to replace it (and the small amount of cedar chips does not keep the run from becoming a mud pit.

From what I've seen of animal cops they meet the minimum care (enough food, water and she has a house in the run) so I'm not sure they could do anything. It's just they have the nerve to threaten everyone else when they do the bare minimum.

I do know they do take it to the vet so at least there is that.

Neighbors svck. I didn't realize how bad because the neighborhood I grew up in was so great. I did know some people who moved away that came back and really missed what we had there. So I had some idea it was kinda special, I just didn't know how much.

note to self. Tell neighbor on other side fence dudes will be out kinda early in the morning to measure things, scan plot into computer so they have a copy. Do not tell bad neighbors about fence dudes. Yep, I am a mean person, I hope she comes out and has a fit in front of them. Too bad the little camera that does video doesn't do sound, I think you need the vocals to make the video be a hit on youtube.

Penelope Le Pew 2031 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

01-17-07, 10:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Penelope%20Le%20Pew Click to send private message to Penelope%20Le%20Pew Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Fence advice"
Yes neighbours suck big time! We love this community.

I figure if we move out again, it would cost us money than fence itself. We'd stick with our home, period and give neighbours the hell. That is a fair game.

Dakota 5819 desperate attention whore postings

01-17-07, 01:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Dakota Click to send private message to Dakota Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Fence advice"
LAST EDITED ON 01-17-07 AT 01:04 PM (EST)

Oh! For a minute I thought Nancy Pelosi was posting here!

I live in a condo. I'm not allowed to have a fence.

Karchita 4483 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

01-17-07, 02:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Karchita Click to send private message to Karchita Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Fence advice"
A nice looking fence can increase the value of your property, but a chain-link fence can actually decrease value. It's a huge turnoff to many buyers, but a lot depends on your area.

Wooden fences don't take much upkeep and it would be really hard to chew through it with a weed wacker. If your charming neighbors did abuse a wooden fence from their side, all they probably would accomplish would be to uglify their side and not affect your side.

Karchita

IceCat 17415 desperate attention whore postings

01-17-07, 02:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "Here's a perfect solution"

You might even qualify for a grant as a historical site:

Berlin wall pieces for sale

01-17-07, 03:40 PM (EST)
18. "RE: Here's a perfect solution"
I'd love a stone wall.

I don't think I have the budget for that.

I keep trying to figure out if a heated and stocked moat is a violation of the zoning laws.

Although keeping it hot enough for the usually tropical critters with big teeth might be costly.

It's a tribe creation!

That dog would only cross the property line once. *Munch* *gulp*

mysticwolf 10692 desperate attention whore postings

01-17-07, 03:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mysticwolf Click to send private message to mysticwolf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Fence advice"
We have a 6' chain link fence around the backyard, and another that encirles our woods. For the one in the yard I had the fencing company weave it with stuff that looks like long straight branches of an artificial Christmas tree. It blocks our view of the parking lot next door (and their view into our yard), and makes it look like we have a well-trimmed hedge surrounding the yard. It's lasted almost 20 years so far and still looks good.

Small, or large, the biggest issue with fences & dogs is if they dig underneath. With wood there's not much you can do about it. With chain link you can easily stop it by laying a 4"-6" width parallel to the ground and attached to the bottom of the vertical fencing. You stake it flat and the grass will grow through it and cover it while still allowing you to mow over the top without ruining your mower.

A Tribal Christmas blogging's scary

01-22-07, 09:14 AM (EST)
19. "RE: Fence advice"
LAST EDITED ON 01-22-07 AT 09:15 AM (EST)

Fence guy came today, since the last bit of drizzle was out and it wasn't snowing.

Neighbor had to come outside and make sure I knew I can't put a front yard fence when we were measuring across the front to the pin that isn't at the surface. Suprisingly the two on their side were both there and findable.

She claims they've had an estimate done for a privacy fence. Although they talked about a fence when the kidlet was a toddler and she is in second grade now, so I'm not waiting for them.

Probably going with the black chain link. I found that fake Christmas tree stuff on-line so if I went for that I could install it. I might just do it at the back to hide the hillock.

The little birds were upset we interrupted their breakfast.

Sigh.

ETA: On the good news front my TV is working again I think it saw me surfing the web looking at new TVs and decided it had better behave

Ahtumbreez 10456 desperate attention whore postings

01-22-07, 01:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ahtumbreez Click to send private message to Ahtumbreez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Fence advice"
Honeysuckle grows really good in NC also. It grows quicker than grapevines, smells great and may give you a bit more privacy than just the chainlink.

Good luck with the neighbors.
That's one of the main reason we bought acreage!

01-22-07, 02:21 PM (EST)
21. "RE: Fence advice"
LAST EDITED ON 01-22-07 AT 02:21 PM (EST)

Honeysuckle sounds good as well.

Along the back it is partially shaded and on the sides it will be pretty much full sun.

I need to check which thingys grow best in what conditions, although if they actually do privacy their backyard then that would be shady as well. So maybe only the nice neighbor will get grapes (with an invite to pick any grapes she wants

01-25-07, 04:36 PM (EST)
22. "Update."
Here I thought they moved the dog run so I could get my fence.

Turns out they are also putting up a fence. Came home a bit early in case the guys needed anything. They were fine, but lo and behold there are fence posts on their property. I wondered why the guys marking my yard for the utilities marked so much of theirs.

Looks like theirs is the silver chainlink. At least I'm getting the nice black coated kind.

Oh, well. Will make the neighbors on the other side happy they are out of the yard on that side.

*giggle*

It's a tribe creation!

01-28-07, 03:35 PM (EST)
23. "RE: Update."
Shockingly they are letting the dog have the run of the yard since their fence was finished.

She really needs to have that space to run in. Hopefully between their fence and my fence all the little pieces of paper and plastic she chews up will stay in their yard.

It's a tribe creation!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •