The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Are they nuts in Georgia?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-18-06, 06:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Are they nuts in Georgia?"
LAST EDITED ON 12-18-06 AT 06:18 PM (EST)

You've got to be kidding -- a 17-year-old boy gets 10 years in prison because he had consensual oral sex with a 15-year-old girl? When genital sex would only have been a misdemeanor?

Georgia Supreme Court rejects teen's appeal in sex case
Georgia Supreme Court order

Has everyone in Georgia lost their minds? Or didn't they ever have any to lose?

A Georgia case calling for executive clemency?

From now on, Georgia shall be known as "Land of Morons."

Edited for spelling.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Are they nuts in Georgia? Estee 12-18-06 1
   RE: Are they nuts in Georgia? byoffer 12-18-06 5
 RE: Are they nuts in Georgia? seahorse 12-18-06 2
 RE: Are they nuts in Georgia? mysticwolf 12-18-06 3
   RE: Are they nuts in Georgia? AyaK 12-18-06 4
 RE: Are they nuts in Georgia? brvnkrz 12-18-06 6
   RE: Are they nuts in Georgia? Estee 12-18-06 7
       RE: Are they nuts in Georgia? HistoryDetective 12-18-06 8
           RE: Are they nuts in Georgia? Estee 12-18-06 10
               RE: Are they nuts in Georgia? HistoryDetective 12-18-06 11
   RE: Are they nuts in Georgia? Draco Malfoy 12-19-06 16
       RE: Are they nuts in Georgia? MKitty 12-19-06 20
 Story of the case AyaK 12-18-06 9
 RE: Are they nuts in Georgia? Bobdechemist 12-18-06 12
 RE: Are they nuts in Georgia? true 12-18-06 13
   RE: Are they nuts in Georgia? AyaK 12-19-06 14
       RE: Are they nuts in Georgia? CantStandToLook 12-19-06 17
           RE: Are they nuts in Georgia? MTW1961 12-19-06 19
               RE: Are they nuts in Georgia? AyaK 12-20-06 21
                   RE: Are they nuts in Georgia? CantStandToLook 12-20-06 24
           RE: Are they nuts in Georgia? formerlywannabe 12-20-06 23
 RE: Are they nuts in Georgia? dabo 12-19-06 15
   RE: Are they nuts in Georgia? AyaK 12-19-06 18
 RE: Are they nuts in Georgia? Femme 12-20-06 22
   RE: Are they nuts in Georgia? geg6 12-20-06 25
   RE: Are they nuts in Georgia? Prof_ Wagstaff 12-20-06 27
 RE: Are they nuts in Georgia? singer 12-20-06 26
   RE: Are they nuts in Georgia? HistoryDetective 12-20-06 28
       RE: Are they nuts in Georgia? singer 12-22-06 53
   RE: Are they nuts in Georgia? geg6 12-20-06 29
       RE: Are they nuts in Georgia? formerlywannabe 12-20-06 30
           RE: Are they nuts in Georgia? geg6 12-20-06 31
               RE: Are they nuts in Georgia? formerlywannabe 12-20-06 34
 Jusr curious PagongRatEater 12-20-06 32
   RE: Jusr curious geg6 12-20-06 33
       RE: Just curious PagongRatEater 12-20-06 35
           RE: Just curious AyaK 12-20-06 39
               RE: Just curious emydi 12-22-06 54
                   RE: Just curious mrc 12-22-06 56
       RE: Jusr curious J I M B O 12-20-06 41
   RE: Jusr curious Bobdechemist 12-20-06 38
       RE: Jusr curious formerlywannabe 12-20-06 40
       RE: Jusr curious HistoryDetective 12-20-06 42
           *sits with HD* cqvenus 12-20-06 47
           *sits on HD* J I M B O 12-20-06 48
               RE: *sits on HD* HobbsofMI 12-20-06 49
   RE: Jusr curious dabo 12-22-06 52
 RE: Are they nuts in Georgia? mrc 12-20-06 36
   RE: Are they nuts in Georgia? geg6 12-20-06 37
       RE: Are they nuts in Georgia? emydi 12-22-06 55
           RE: Are they nuts in Georgia? mrc 12-22-06 57
 10 years is too little for this AyaK 12-20-06 43
   Crass comment HistoryDetective 12-20-06 44
       RE: Crass comment geg6 12-20-06 46
           RE: Crass comment Snidget 12-22-06 58
   RE: 10 years is too little for this seahorse 12-20-06 45
   RE: 10 years is too little for this HobbsofMI 12-20-06 50
 RE: Are they nuts in Georgia? Riordan 12-21-06 51

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

12-18-06, 06:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Are they nuts in Georgia?"
But on the plus side, they have the full support of the AFA.

The devil went down to Georgia. And got elected.

byoffer 15947 desperate attention whore postings

12-18-06, 07:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Are they nuts in Georgia?"
The devil went down to Georgia.

Apparently he also went down in Georgia.

speaking of nuts...

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings

12-18-06, 06:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail seahorse Click to send private message to seahorse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Are they nuts in Georgia?"
There are millions in this country who would be in jail if this applied to all who are guilty of this act. Some murderers get less than 10 years without parole.

mysticwolf 10692 desperate attention whore postings

12-18-06, 06:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mysticwolf Click to send private message to mysticwolf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Are they nuts in Georgia?"
Not that it matters, it's still insane, but one of the comments made on your third link suggests that this was consensual gay sex and that this is one reason he was prosecuted to begin with. Absolutely moronic application of law, either way.

Nice to know the legislature changed the wording of the statute after the fact. Too bad they aren't smart, or compassionate, enough to make it retroactive. Let's hope he gets executive clemancy.

I should send these links to my DN & his new wife and ask if they really want to be practicing law in Georgia. (They both just passed the GA bar. I think I'm starting to understand why it's said that it's the easiest bar exam in the country. Logic doesn't apply there, evidently.)

A Tribal Christmas blogging's scary

12-18-06, 07:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Are they nuts in Georgia?"
Not that it matters, it's still insane, but one of the comments made on your third link suggests that this was consensual gay sex and that this is one reason he was prosecuted to begin with.

I can understand why someone would want to read the gender-neutral opinion as a way of hiding that this was gay sex. But the commenter should have checked his facts; it wasn't gay sex. See this AJC editorial:

http://www.ajc.com/opinion/content/opinion/stories/2006/12/18/1219edwilson.html

Because he was 17 and the girl was 15, Wilson was convicted of aggravated child molestation, which carries a mandatory 10-year prison sentence.

According to the editorial, Wilson has now been in jail for 22 months. Land of Morons, indeed.

brvnkrz 20491 desperate attention whore postings

12-18-06, 07:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Are they nuts in Georgia?"
Nuts? I thought they were all peaches.

Lookie what Tribe made me.

12-18-06, 07:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Are they nuts in Georgia?"
If you ever went there, they'd lock you away for life on general principles. And you'd never be able to post again.

...wait a minute...

There's an upside to everything if you just look for it.

HistoryDetective 9516 desperate attention whore postings

12-18-06, 07:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HistoryDetective Click to send private message to HistoryDetective Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Are they nuts in Georgia?"
Don't worry. I would pick up the slack in her absence.

12-18-06, 08:06 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Are they nuts in Georgia?"
I didn't even know it was possible to plan out a traumatic head injury.

12-18-06, 08:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HistoryDetective Click to send private message to HistoryDetective Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Are they nuts in Georgia?"
Ummm, I don't know exactly what you and Knockers do during your special private time, but I don't like to play quite that rough, no matter what you may have heard.

Draco Malfoy 10525 desperate attention whore postings

12-19-06, 08:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Draco%20Malfoy Click to send private message to Draco%20Malfoy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Are they nuts in Georgia?"
Movin to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches...

MKitty 2976 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

12-19-06, 07:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MKitty Click to send private message to MKitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Are they nuts in Georgia?"
"eat a lot of peaches...peaches for free"

Ah yes, now that song makes sense..always did think it was kind of odd!

A Tribe original!

12-18-06, 07:51 PM (EST)
9. "Story of the case"
Here's the story of the case, which shows that Wilson was no choirboy (the sex happened at a New Year's Eve "sex party"), although he still didn't deserve what happened. Interestingly, and in contrast to the comments about "jury nullification" in my third link, the jury was never told that conviction on the charge of "aggravated child molestation" carried a mandatory 10-year penalty:

Outrage After Teen Gets 10 Years for Oral Sex With Girl

Bobdechemist 3932 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

12-18-06, 08:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bobdechemist Click to send private message to Bobdechemist Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Are they nuts in Georgia?"
When looking for jobs, I refused to look at anything below the Mason-Dixon Line (Or think I refused. My US geograhy isn't all that great). Mr Bob kept asking why and I said "they are all crazy and religious"

I was right about the crazy.

like loons

true 9689 desperate attention whore postings

12-18-06, 09:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail true Click to send private message to true Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Are they nuts in Georgia?"
Is this some email hoax where they ask you to donate money??

Clearly it MUST be a joke, although I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to call the entire state morons, even if it isn't. (Please tell me it's a joke.) I mean really, doesn't that kind of broad insult dilute your point and make you appear to be a little "nuts" yourself?

12-19-06, 00:08 AM (EST)
14. "RE: Are they nuts in Georgia?"
I mean really, doesn't that kind of broad insult dilute your point and make you appear to be a little "nuts" yourself?

Merely appear? I pride myself on being completely nuts.

As they say, it takes one to know one. That's why I'm able to recognize my brethren in Georgia so easily.

And no, state supreme courts usually don't perpetrate hoaxes. Just injustice, if it's the Georgia Supreme Court.

CantStandToLook 6254 desperate attention whore postings

12-19-06, 09:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail CantStandToLook Click to send private message to CantStandToLook Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Are they nuts in Georgia?"
We're not all nuts but whoever drafted this legislation and let them send teenagers doing what teenagers do to jail for it definitely was nuts. I notice in the article and several others that the mandatory sentences and punishments seem to be handed out more often to minorities than others. I dont know what that says about our state, but I'm not too thrilled about that either.

MTW1961 4029 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

12-19-06, 06:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MTW1961 Click to send private message to MTW1961 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Are they nuts in Georgia?"
I notice in the article and several others that the mandatory sentences and punishments seem to be handed out more often to minorities than others.

Where does it say that?

Another Mon Cherie masterpiece!

12-20-06, 00:36 AM (EST)
21. "RE: Are they nuts in Georgia?"
http://www.atlantamagazine.com/article.php?id=158

Superior Court Judge David Emerson decided to deny First Offender status to all of the six young men—a distinction that could have automatically lightened their sentences and removed the offenses from their records after they completed probation—because five of the six young men involved in the case had criminal records. McDade says it is “office policy” that no one convicted of child molestation should benefit from First Offender status....

McDade says he further supported the judge’s decision to treat Genarlow—the only one who had not had any run-ins with the law prior to this case—the same as the other boys because he does not believe in offering First Offender status in sex crime cases.

McDade’s tough stance on sex crimes seems reasonable, noble even, until a closer look is taken at several recent cases in Douglas County, including one indirectly involving McDade’s own teenage son.

At the time that Genarlow’s trial was underway, just down the hall in the same courthouse, Douglas County Judge Robert James Baker was hearing the case of Alexander High School English teacher and cheering coach Kari McCarley. The 27-year-old was found guilty of having a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old male student who attended the school where she worked. She was sentenced to three years probation and 90 days in jail.

McDade says he recused himself from that case because his then 17-year-old son, a student at Alexander High, had been interviewed by investigators about the case. The boy had told investigators that McCarley had called his cell phone nearly 30 times. McDade says his son was never romantically involved with McCarley. “I was pissed off as hell about the outcome, but <because the victim was 17> the maximum sentence she could have received by law was three years,” explains McDade. “We suggested prison time, but the judge imposed a sentence that he felt was right. She <McCarley> was not having sex with a student directly under her supervision.”

But there are also other cases of adults—white adults—prosecuted by the Douglas County District Attorney’s office for sex crimes involving minors and received far lighter sentences than any of the teens in the Douglasville Six case.

Case in point: Jack Stewart, a 24-year-old volunteer coach at Heirway Christian Academy in Douglas County, who received 30 days in jail and 10 years probation for fondling the 15-year-old daughter of a couple whose house he was living at temporarily. McDade notes that he objected in court to the “inappropriately light” sentence.

In the case of 26-year-old George Tsimpides, First Offender status was extended in a sex crime. Tsimpides received 20 days in jail after he pleaded guilty to luring a 15-year-old girl he’d met on the Internet to Arbor Place Mall with the intention of engaging in sex with her. McDade says he publicly objected to that sentence.

The D.A. himself has not been immune to sexual misconduct charges. In 1995, two female employees who worked in his office claimed McDade sexually harassed them, creating a “hostile work environment.” The charges were later dismissed. McDade insists they are irrelevant. “According to the summary judgment, I won completely and they lost completely,” he says.

These cases, according to the Douglas County chapter of the NAACP, point to a pattern of discrimination. The civil rights organization, which has led rallies in support of the Douglasville Six, contends that if the young men involved were white the charges would have been dismissed. “The D.A.’s office is caught up in that good ol’ boy syndrome, misapplying a law that was never meant for teenagers,” says chapter president Kimberly Alexander.

Statistics provided by the Campaign for Juvenile Justice, a nonprofit advocacy group based in Atlanta, suggest that Alexander’s assertions may not be far off the mark, particularly when it comes to trying teens as adults. According to the organization’s analysis of Justice Department statistics, African-American and Latino youth are 45 percent of Georgia’s youth population, but comprise 77 percent of the youth arrested under SB 440, a controversial measure that was passed by the Georgia General Assembly in 1994. SB 440 gives superior courts the power to charge children aged 13–17 as adults for committing the so called “seven deadly sins”: murder, voluntary manslaughter, rape, aggravated sodomy, aggravated child molestation, aggravated sexual battery, and armed robbery if committed with a firearm. Furthermore, the organization also found that 46 percent of criminal cases involving white youth were transferred back to juvenile court versus 25 percent of cases involving African-American youth.

CantStandToLook 6254 desperate attention whore postings

12-20-06, 08:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail CantStandToLook Click to send private message to CantStandToLook Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Are they nuts in Georgia?"
Thank You

I know we live in an enlightened age but I'm still surprised at how many people think we're just crying wolf when we say that minorities often get a bad rap in court and with the law.

I'm black but I'm not just talking about blacks. Society is what it is and I dont have the luxury of ignoring that certain prejudices still prevail.

formerlywannabe 407 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

12-20-06, 08:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail formerlywannabe Click to send private message to formerlywannabe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Are they nuts in Georgia?"
A southern state handing out harsher punishments to minorities (especially blacks)? That's MADNESS!

I saw this story on Dateline probably a year ago and I thought the same thing. What makes this really interesting is that Duke situation (see Ayaks thread) where the Prosecuter went after those students like nobody's business for raping a black woman. (As he SHOULD have, initially). Many people felt that this prosecuter was overcompensating, possibly for the hundreds of times a black individual went down hard for a crime (see Simpson, OJ). Plus he wanted to get re-elected and needed the minority vote!

Unfortunately, it looks like the victim in the Duke case lied. What a strange parallel.

Regardless, this kid doesn't deserve 10 years in jail for this. A life totally ruined and for what? I hope the booty was GOOD at least.

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

12-19-06, 02:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Are they nuts in Georgia?"
Yes. They are nuts in Georgia. Georgia is the nuts capitol of the world.

12-19-06, 11:09 AM (EST)
18. "RE: Are they nuts in Georgia?"
Jimmy Carter comes from Georgia.

Maybe that explains 1977-1981.

Femme 3621 desperate attention whore postings

12-20-06, 08:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Femme Click to send private message to Femme Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Are they nuts in Georgia?"
I know nothing about the law (not for lack of interest, just lack of time, I guess). What is the likelihood that something like this won't be overturned? Will this kid really, really have to go to jail? For ten years?

It just doesn't seem like this will be allowed to happen... Am I naive?

Femme

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

12-20-06, 09:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Are they nuts in Georgia?"
Oh, I have no doubt he'll go to jail.

He can appeal, certainly, but that doesn't mean he won't have to start serving his time while the appeal happens. And, of course, the appeal may not be successful.

The strongest man in the world is he who stands alone. — Henrik Ibsen
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. - Henry David Thoreau

Prof_ Wagstaff 4196 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

12-20-06, 09:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Prof_%20Wagstaff Click to send private message to Prof_%20Wagstaff Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Are they nuts in Georgia?"
According to AyaK, see post #4, the kid has already served nearly 2yrs (22 months) of his sentence.

More Tribephylanthropy!
Space For Rent.

singer 1910 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

12-20-06, 09:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail singer Click to send private message to singer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Are they nuts in Georgia?"
LAST EDITED ON 12-20-06 AT 09:59 AM (EST)

He is older than the child, and he should have exercised restraint. It makes no sense that people want to exonerate him based on subjective viewpoints about the child's "consensual" involvement in the act.

Children have often engaged in these types of activities after having been molested. So it is fitting that there should be some punishment against the older party in the transgression.

--Singer

12-20-06, 10:05 AM (EST)
28. "RE: Are they nuts in Georgia?"
What? Based on their ages, I'm guessing this was a high school senior haveing consensual oral sex with a high school sophomore. I don't know how things worked among your high school classmates, but there was plenty of sex, oral and otherwise, that took place in my high school that was not coerced.

Children have often engaged in these types of activities after having been molested. So it is fitting that there should be some punishment against the older party in the transgression.

I don't follow this logic. I also don't understand who you think might have been previously molested: the "victim" or the "perpetrator."

singer 1910 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

12-22-06, 10:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail singer Click to send private message to singer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
53. "RE: Are they nuts in Georgia?"
Hi, HD.

Molestation and too-early sexual activity often go hand-in-hand. It would not surprise me if the girl was molested, though that is not a direct issue in this case.

My understanding is that boys are usually much more interested in early sex than girls are, though girls mature faster. Far-too-often girls get involved in early sex because of peer pressure or because they have been initiated into sexual activity by older adults (relatives, family friends) who have taken advantage of them early in their lives.

Add to that sorry mix the horrible messages modern media sends girls about appearance and about promiscuity being acceptable, and you end up with an array of social problems linked to these behaviours--pregnancies, abortions, cervical problems.

I remember meeting a girl during my first week of college who was 17. She had a 35-year-old boyfriend and she had also had cervical cancer. I now understand years later that too-early sexual activity may have contributed to this young girl's medical problem. I also firmly believe that her mother and her 35-year-old boyfriend, who happened to be rich, should have been put in jail. And I also believe that her too-early sexual activity was a form of child abuse by the 35-year-old boyfriend and by the mother.

The girl was gorgeous, pretty quiet, a good student, and had many attributes. Too bad her mother and that oaf did not let her remain a child longer. And he was her boyfriend long before she was 17.

Elvis Presley, idiot that he was, got involved with Priscilla when she was very young as well. He and her parents should have been put in jail.

As far as this Georgia case is concerned, fifteen-year-olds should not be having sex. Period. End of sentence. That's my subjective view, FWIW.

It doesn't matter that lots of kids are engaging in early sex. They are still too young to understand the emotional gravity of doing so without commitment and love and all of those other nice things that should go along with it. At least there is now a vaccine that can at least partially protect girls from getting cervical cancer.

BTW, it is entirely plausible that the older boy was molested or even encouraged to engage in early sex by society, his peers or just his own hormones. From my vantage point, it doesn't really matter that he was interested in it. It matters that he did not have the good sense to exercise restraint.

--Singer

12-20-06, 10:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Are they nuts in Georgia?"
Well, then according to your logic, my high school boyfriend should have spent the 10 years after we first had sex in jail. Even though I agreed to do it and we were both still minors. It simply doesn't jive with reality that a teenage boy is going to say no when it's being freely offered.

I was never molested by anyone. I gave up my virginity, happily, at an even earlier age than this girl was when this all happened. Pretty much every girlfriend of mine in high school was no longer a virgin by the day we graduated. Though, statistically speaking, some of them probably were molested at some point, I hardly think that hundreds of girls were all sexually traumatized and dealt with it by acting out with their boyfriends in high school.

Teenagers have sex. They always have. They always will. And we now have a study that shows that to be true:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2006-12-19-premarital-sex_x.htm

And, funnily enough, looking at my age group bears out my assertion about my high school classmates. The median age of the first sexual experience is 18. So, obviously lots of us had ours earlier.

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. - Henry David Thoreau

12-20-06, 10:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail formerlywannabe Click to send private message to formerlywannabe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: Are they nuts in Georgia?"
Actually, I recall reading that alot of these teen sex studies can be somewhat innaccurate. (Don't ask me where, Newsweek maybe? I can't recall, sorry!)

When teenagers are given these surveys, they tend to lie about the answers. They omit some things that they have done and increase their ages on others. The reason given was that even though they are supposed to be anonymous surveys..somewhere in their minds, the kids feel like someone is going to find out, so they lie!

Actually, most people tend to embellish on surveys, that's why there is always a differential (+ or - whatever %) in results. Why this happens, I don't know. I'm sure there has been a study!! Although I do recall in Psychology class, that certain types of questionaires/personality profiles have built in questions and answers to weed out inaccuracies. You work in a college, so I am sure you know what I am talking about!

Seriously, why wasn't the "victims" opinion considered in this case? Something VERY similar happened to my loser ExBF's niece and the police told her father, they could arrest the guy, but there was no case. Maybe things are different in Jersey?

12-20-06, 11:09 AM (EST)
31. "RE: Are they nuts in Georgia?"
If you read the article, you can see that the vast majority of participants are not teenagers nor were they when they were surveyed. Many surveys of teens are believed to underreport sexual activity. I'm not aware of any that over-report, though they may exist. In this particular study, it is being published in a peer-reviewed journal, so you have to assume that there was rigor used in designing the survey and in interpreting the results.

We have statutory rape laws here in PA, but it is a rare case that is prosecuted when both people involved are underage.

12-20-06, 11:28 AM (EST)
34. "RE: Are they nuts in Georgia?"
I a big fat lazy butt and didn't read the article. Please feel free to beat me.

That's what I meant though, about those surveys they DO underreport, especially if teens (or anyone) is not being honest about their sexcapades. Maybe I didn't articulate it very well! Again, I'm lazy.

The LEXBF's niece situation was that she was 15 and the guy was 20. She was willingly with him (without Mom or Dad's knowledge, duh!)and was having sex with him and such. She got pregnant and had to come clean to mom and dad (and no, she didn't have the baby). Dad hit the roof, rightfully so, and called the police. His daughter was 1/2 hysterical, completely defended the guy and ultimately the police told her dad, that even though she was underage...it was obviously a consenual relationship. Therefore it would be a very tough case. After much round and round, it sort of died on the vine and the guy was never arrested. Eventually she stoppped seeing him on her own.

Now, I knew this girl pretty well and she was never raped, abused or otherwise physically hurt in her life. The family is kinda WT, but that's neither here nor there. This 20 YO never forced her to do ANYTHING she didn't want to do and from what I gather treated her well. (Even if I personally belive that any 20 YO hanging around with and boinking young teenagers has serious issues.) She made a choice and that's that. Thar's why I am curious as to why GA pursued it. Different states, different laws I guess!

PagongRatEater 12996 desperate attention whore postings

12-20-06, 11:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "Jusr curious"
I'm afraid that I haven't read all the serious legal stuff, but isn't this a fairly clear case of statutory rape. This isn't about the act, rather the age and the girl was not of the age of consent and therefore legally this could not have been a consensual act. True it seems that they have taken it a bit too far, but if the interaction were coital and it were my daughter, I'd want the SOB in jail too.

Some businessmen are saying this could be the greatest Christmas ever. I always thought that the first one was." - (Art Fettig)

12-20-06, 11:21 AM (EST)
33. "RE: Jusr curious"
But PRE, there're murderers out there who get less time.

I can't seem to get past the idea that he got 10 years. That's just ridiculous.

And? He was a teenager having sex with another teenager. I can't think you'd really put a kid in prison for that.

PagongRatEater 12996 desperate attention whore postings

12-20-06, 11:28 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
35. "RE: Just curious"
If you accept the legal perspective that he is a rapist, it seems a harsh but not totally unreasonable sentence. If this is a first offense, then maybe there should have been a bit more lenience.

However, the fact that murderers get less time is an indictment against our legal system and a shame. I think THAT is the injustice.

Some businessmen are saying this could be the greatest Christmas ever. I always thought that the first one was." - (Art Fettig)

12-20-06, 11:59 AM (EST)
39. "RE: Just curious"
If you accept the legal perspective that he is a rapist

I'm sorry, but I simply do not accept the perspective that sex between a 17-year-old boy and a 15-year-old girl constitutes rape. I would be perfectly willing to accept that with regard to, say, a 26-year-old man and a 15-year-old girl, but not between two high school students with a two-year age gap.

It's doesn't just fly in the face of reality; it's a silly idea -- even if it's still part of Georgia law.

And I'm not even focusing on the disparity between the misdemeanor treatment for genital sex (up to one year imprisonment; not child molestation) and the felony treatment for oral sex (mandatory ten-year imprisonment; child molestation).

The only aggravating factor here that, in my mind, justifies ANY jail time is the actual setting in which this occurred. I'm willing to accept that ANY type of "group sex" activity involving girls under the age of consent should carry jail time (even if the boys involved are also under the age of consent). But that's not the law under which he was sentenced.

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

12-22-06, 12:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
54. "RE: Just curious"
The only aggravating factor here that, in my mind, justifies ANY jail time is the actual setting in which this occurred. I'm willing to accept that ANY type of "group sex" activity involving girls under the age of consent should carry jail time (even if the boys involved are also under the age of consent). But that's not the law under which he was sentenced.

And vice versa...

mrc 10113 desperate attention whore postings

12-22-06, 12:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mrc Click to send private message to mrc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
56. "RE: Just curious"
Exactly.

J I M B O 6839 desperate attention whore postings

12-20-06, 12:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail J%20I%20M%20B%20O Click to send private message to J%20I%20M%20B%20O Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
41. "RE: Jusr curious"
He was a teenager having sex with another teenager. I can't think you'd really put a kid in prison for that.

I'm not against the idea of setting a minimum age for "consentual sex", even among teens. IMO, it wouldn't be a bad thing for 17 year old boys to have legal consequences on their mind when contemplating sexual activity with 15 year old girls.

Would a 17 y.o. boy and a 13 y.o. girl be acceptable? 17-12? 17-11? If it is set at "teenage" years, fine, but let's at least clarify it and not punish sexual promiscuity after the fact. (Sure the law was in place previously, but how well was it communicated, or functioning as a deterrant?)

As far as the 10-year thing, I don't see anything "aggrivated" around the conduct here. For a kid that young, even a month in jail would more than drive the point home IMO. But no…let's take him out of society at a young age and really handicap his future. I don't get it.

As for PRE's take, if I were her father (and she assured me there was nothing forced) I would be disappointed in both, but no way would I want him to spend years of his life in jail. Massive community service and probation would do just fine. (However, if she said anything was forced…then I'd kill him myself.)

Bobdechemist 3932 desperate attention whore postings

12-20-06, 11:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Bobdechemist Click to send private message to Bobdechemist Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
38. "RE: Jusr curious"
but if the interaction were coital and it were my daughter, I'd want the SOB in jail too.

And if it were your son?

12-20-06, 12:06 PM (EST)
40. "RE: Jusr curious"
Would you say, boys will be boys? Or that little slut..she MADE him do it!?

12-20-06, 12:54 PM (EST)
42. "RE: Jusr curious"
And if it were your son?

*pulls up chair*
*munches popcorn*

cqvenus 9765 desperate attention whore postings

12-20-06, 04:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cqvenus Click to send private message to cqvenus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
47. "*sits with HD*"

good question.

J I M B O 6839 desperate attention whore postings

12-20-06, 04:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail J%20I%20M%20B%20O Click to send private message to J%20I%20M%20B%20O Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
48. "*sits on HD*"

hey, while we're waiting for an answer might as well rough house a bit eh?

HobbsofMI 16065 desperate attention whore postings

12-20-06, 04:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HobbsofMI Click to send private message to HobbsofMI Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
49. "RE: *sits on HD*"
Soda? Juju Fruits? *crickets*

Save the Cheerleader Save the World
sig by Syren and bouncy by IceCat

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

12-22-06, 00:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
52. "RE: Jusr curious"
In Georgia, which is backwards in many ways, probably. But not in all jurisdictions. I mean, honestly, the guy was underage also, shouldn't she have been brought up on charges too according to Georgia law?

If the kids are within 3 or so years age difference, you just have kids being kids. Saddling one of those kids with "sex offendor" status for life under those circumstances is horrendous and ridiculous.

12-20-06, 11:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mrc Click to send private message to mrc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
36. "RE: Are they nuts in Georgia?"
I'll bet if the girl was 17 and the boy was 15, we wouldn't even be discussing this.

12-20-06, 11:54 AM (EST)
37. "RE: Are they nuts in Georgia?"
Word. Totally.

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

12-22-06, 12:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
55. "RE: Are they nuts in Georgia?"
Unless the State of Ga can show that there is an important state interest to "protect" girls and not boys, it wouldn't pass constitutional muster under intermediate standard under the Equal Protection Clause....

In reality though....you are probably right mrc..sort of like the female teacher/boy student is "okay" and "beneficial" to the boy--but the other way is pedophilia and the male teacher is run out of town with wearing a

P

12-22-06, 12:19 PM (EST)
57. "RE: Are they nuts in Georgia?"
In reality though....you are probably right mrc..sort of like the female teacher/boy student is "okay" and "beneficial" to the boy--but the other way is pedophilia

Exactly the point I've tried to make repeatedly in previous threads. There is a double standard, and it makes my blood boil.

12-20-06, 02:21 PM (EST)
43. "10 years is too little for this"
Here's a REAL child molestation case, in which the 8th Circuit held that 10 years in prison (the sentence from the lower court) was too short.

Judges: Sentence is too mild for mom who rented daughter to pedophile

This woman (in Missouri) sold her daughter to a pedophile over 200 times for sex, begiining when the girl was 9, getting $20 each time. The appeals court called the case "no less than horrifying."

http://www.ca8.uscourts.gov/opndir/06/12/061103P.pdf

12-20-06, 02:28 PM (EST)
44. "Crass comment"
Please take away her special parking spot.

12-20-06, 03:30 PM (EST)
46. "RE: Crass comment"
*spews Pepsi all over monitor*

*wipes monitor*

*reads it again*

*spews Pepsi all over again*

Have I told you lately that I love you?

Best laugh in days.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

12-22-06, 12:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
58. "RE: Crass comment"
Uh-Oh *tilts head*

Don't tell me I started one of those things that will end up on a future FAQ for OT Newbies.

I don't know if I should be proud or appalled.

Hall's Decked by Tribe!

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings

12-20-06, 02:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail seahorse Click to send private message to seahorse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
45. "RE: 10 years is too little for this"
10 years for both these cases. How reasonable can you get!

HobbsofMI 16065 desperate attention whore postings

12-20-06, 04:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HobbsofMI Click to send private message to HobbsofMI Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
50. "RE: 10 years is too little for this"
Are you sure the judge did not mean 10 years per the times she rented out her daughter?

*boggle*

Save the Cheerleader Save the World
sig by Syren and bouncy by IceCat

Riordan 634 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

12-21-06, 11:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Riordan Click to send private message to Riordan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
51. "RE: Are they nuts in Georgia?"
Are they nuts in Georgia?

Wouldn't the correct term be "Crackers"? ;)

Sorry, I don't mean to make light of the situation. Something similar happened to a boy I went to school with. Thankfully for him, jail time wasn't ten years. But he is now forever on the registered sex offenders list.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •