The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"19-inch Wooden Rulers"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

PepeLePew13 26135 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-18-06, 05:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"19-inch Wooden Rulers"
I continue to be amazed at the chutzpah and stupidity of people out there in the world -- every time I say to myself, "Nahhh, I've seen it all and nothing else could ever surprise me again" ... something else comes along that just leaves me completely blown away.

The latest jaw dropper? I. King Jordan, the disgraced, outgoing president of Gallaudet University in Washington D.C., hosted his annual faculty/staff Christmas party the other day and he handed out custom-made 19-inch wooden rulers to each of the guests as a symbol of his 19 years as the, ahem, ruler of the college.

Aside from the sexual jokes that could easily be made from this, Jordan also was giving the ultimate slap-in-the-face to the Deaf community by this 'gesture.'

I'm sure most of you are unfamiliar with the reason why this is a rather big issue in our community, so please indulge me as I bring it out into the open. At the Milan Conference in 1880, it was decided that sign language should be banned and all Deaf institutions should only teach the oral speaking method -- it wasn't long after that before educators started toting around wooden rulers to whack children across the hands for daring to sign or gesture in class. The wooden ruler has become a significant symbol of oppression and audism in the Deaf world.

So why the hell is a Deaf president of a Deaf university embracing the very symbol of a Deaf person's deepest fears? What is the message he's trying to send to the community - a big F.U. to all the students and faculty that opposed his stand during the Gallaudet protests in October/November over the selection of a new president?

It just goes to show why so many students and faculty are thrilled to see King Jordan out of there as he's got absolutely no clue about the feelings of the community. It's like Jesse Jackson wrapping himself in the Confederate flag and marching step-by-step with David Duke.

And the coup de grace? In this blog {warning: juicy language in there from a few half-wits}, there's a reply from King Jordan's wife (reply #20) where she said, worked very hard at Gallaudet for 19 years and so did King. This ruler was designed by me and is a gift to all of you people. Great, thanks for thinking of us as your hapless peons.

Good riddance, Jordan. You won't be missed.

Thanks for indulging me here -- I expect half of you won't have the foggiest clue what I'm talking about in this post, but it's good to get it out of my system.

{stepping down from soapbox}

A Tribe siggie
"Tsk, tsk. Pepe's messing with the newbies again." Spidey, 3/30/05

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: 19-inch Wooden Rulers Estee 12-18-06 1
 RE: 19-inch Wooden Rulers qwertypie 12-18-06 2
 RE: 19-inch Wooden Rulers mysticwolf 12-18-06 3
 RE: 19-inch Wooden Rulers bullzeye 12-18-06 4
 RE: 19-inch Wooden Rulers cahaya 12-19-06 5
   RE: 19-inch Wooden Rulers PepeLePew13 12-19-06 6
 RE: 19-inch Wooden Rulers nailbone 12-19-06 7
   RE: 19-inch Wooden Rulers PepeLePew13 12-19-06 9
       RE: 19-inch Wooden Rulers nailbone 12-20-06 10
 Need Some Wood? dabo 12-19-06 8
 RE: 19-inch Wooden Rulers Molaholic 12-20-06 11
 RE: 19-inch Wooden Rulers frisky 12-21-06 12
 RE: 19-inch Wooden Rulers Sagebrush Dan 12-21-06 13

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

12-18-06, 06:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: 19-inch Wooden Rulers"
And as a special bonus, the ruler can be used to measure the rope he hung himself with.

'To celebrate my anniversary as the president of this Jewish college, I am offering to pay for all students and faculty to get their college ID number tattooed on their arm.'

qwertypie 9776 desperate attention whore postings

12-18-06, 06:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: 19-inch Wooden Rulers"
Wow, I didn't know that, Pepe. One would have thought that the king had some advisors that would have run the idea by someone in the univerisity.

(I know my mother was not fond of wooden rulers as she was left-handed and the nuns used to whack her with the ruler if she used her dominant hand)

Never attribute to Malice what can adequately be explained by Stupidity- Qwertypie's dad c. 1990

mysticwolf 10692 desperate attention whore postings

12-18-06, 07:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mysticwolf Click to send private message to mysticwolf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: 19-inch Wooden Rulers"
What an asshole. Sounds like he married on his own level, though. Good riddance to both of them.

A Tribal Christmas blogging's scary

bullzeye 5030 desperate attention whore postings

12-18-06, 08:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bullzeye Click to send private message to bullzeye Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: 19-inch Wooden Rulers"
I actually read an article pertaining to this recently and was quite taken aback by the level of insensitivy displayed by a supposed "leader" of a higher insititution. And then the "shock" that students would revolt - pretty sad.

A birthday present from Tribe

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

12-19-06, 02:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: 19-inch Wooden Rulers"
After a bit of browsing around on this, I'm surprised you didn't mention 'Black Friday'.

A wonderful sig-gift from Nutz.

12-19-06, 04:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: 19-inch Wooden Rulers"
Oh, I'm not there yet... That would have required a separate, lengthy post. I did touch upon it briefly during a rant thread a month or so ago, but yes, it's prolly time to list a few links on Black Friday when I get a chance later in the day.

A Tribe siggie

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

12-19-06, 09:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: 19-inch Wooden Rulers"
as he's got absolutely no clue about the feelings of the community.

There's your answer right there. He was trying to be funny, and didn't think it through. and dear wifey sure didn't help with that equally clueless, arrogant response.

-New holiday sig! Thanks, tribe!

12-19-06, 10:11 AM (EST)
9. "RE: 19-inch Wooden Rulers"
It's funny, Dr. Jordan has been known to be one of the driest, least humourous people around, so I'm not sure if he was actually trying to be funny in this situation.

A Tribe siggie

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

12-20-06, 11:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: 19-inch Wooden Rulers"
But that proves it then. He doesn't know HOW to be funny.

-New holiday sig! Thanks, tribe!

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

12-19-06, 10:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "Need Some Wood?"
What happens at Gallaudet stays at Gallaudet!

To be honest, there have been times when the politics at Gallaudet have appalled me. Having a leader so totally out of touch with the community is just totally whacked.

Seasons Greetings!

Molaholic 9015 desperate attention whore postings

12-20-06, 10:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: 19-inch Wooden Rulers"
I don't know what is the worst scenario, that Jordan is simply ignorant of the symbolism, ignorant to the feelings of the people he was supposedly serving, or truly giving them a ‘whack’.

Obviously, he deserves everything he gets -- all together now... <turn, drop trow, bend>

I too have been appalled at the reports from Gallaudet, I find it remarkable that such a fine institution would be forced into such chaos because of this dolt. Things will be much better under the new administration.

“A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.” Jackie Robinson

I've read a little about the history of sign language -- really quite fascinating. I want to learn more.

frisky 11695 desperate attention whore postings

12-21-06, 00:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail frisky Click to send private message to frisky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: 19-inch Wooden Rulers"
*sets out extra bag of garbage for Pepe*

One thing I love about this place is that I learn things I never would have the opportunity to know otherwise. *headbutt*

This guy is clearly an insensitive, ignorant fvckwad. Is he a sadist or just ignorant?

Oh well, there's always decompression sickness.

Rolly made this.

Sagebrush Dan 10002 desperate attention whore postings

12-21-06, 10:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Sagebrush%20Dan Click to send private message to Sagebrush%20Dan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: 19-inch Wooden Rulers"
I'm with Frisky on this. This is a bit of consciousness raising for me. Thanks Pepe for helping us to be a little more sensitive to the issues.
He should have just plain known better. What a jerk.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.
—Goethe

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •