The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Ethan was in my hometown yesterday.."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Fanatic Forum (Protected)
Original message

KScott 3265 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

09-10-04, 09:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail KScott Click to send private message to KScott Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Ethan was in my hometown yesterday.."
Here is the article from our paper. Ethan visited Pittsburg State University and talked about his time on Survivor and what he learned from it. I wasn't able to make it there to listen to him but here is what was wrote about him.
Africa Survivor winner urges PSU students to make a difference

http://www.morningsun.net/stories/091004/loc_20040910002.shtml

After he won "Survivor Africa" on Jan. 10, 2002, Ethan Zohn found himself with $1 million and 15 minutes of fame.

"I decided I was going to use them to make a difference, to try to save the lives of kids in Africa," he said.

Zohn explained this decision, and gave a few highlights of the "Survivor" experience, to a full house Thursday in the Overman Student Center, Pittsburg State University. Title of his talk was "Character: The Ultimate Survival Tool."

A Massachusetts native and professional soccer player, Zohn admitted that he originally applied to be on "Survivor" as a joke.

He thought that his experience playing soccer in Zimbabwe might give him an edge in "Survivor Africa," which stranded him and 17 others in Kenya.

"The whole thing was just a game, a sociological experiment for 13 weeks on television," he said. "What I wasn't prepared for was the isolation and the loneliness. I was surrounded by people, but I have never felt so alone in my life."

He also estimates that he missed about 139 meals, and ended up dirty, smelly "and all my teeth had little sweaters on them."

After winning one challenge on the show, he received two goats, which he took to a village, sold and bought food. "Then I had diarrhea in front of 30 million viewers," he said.

But, stripped of family, friends and food, he was left with the bare essentials of who he was and what was truly important - character.

He said that in the early stages of the game, the participants were a tribe. "At first, they give you a three-day course on how not to die in the desert," Zohn said.

He was teamed with two other men, Lex and Tom. "We came together and made a perfect alliance," Zohn said. "When Lex had a challenge, Tom and I were willing to take a loss to save Lex, and he won the challenge."

He said that "Survivor" is really about community, and he made himself a valued member of that community.

"I was the first one up in the morning and the last one to sleep at night," Zohn said. "I boiled the water, did the chores, and was the first one to offer sympathy after a loss, and the first one to congratulate a victory."

As a result, he said, there was not one vote against him.

"I made myself crucial," he said. "I tried to do something for others and did something for myself. I was selfless in a selfish game."

Zohn said that his defining moment came when he visited a Kenyan village and played hacky sack with a group of children at a hospital.

"We were each allowed one luxury item to remind us of home, and I took my hacky sack," he said. "I ended up giving it to one of those kids."

When he asked why the children were at the hospital, he learned that all were HIV positive. "That means they probably won't live past the age of 8," Zohn said.

He had learned about AIDS during his time in Zimbabwe.

"I had a teammate, Simon, who was 19," Zohn said. "One day he didn't show up for practice, and the day became a week, then a month. I came back to the United States, and then I got a letter saying that Simon had died of AIDS."

He also remembered riding in buses to play soccer games in villages, and seeing graveyards so full that the crosses on the graves were spilling out into the road.

"I asked why the graves were that way, and they told me that was where they buried people who died of AIDS," Zohn said.

He decided to combine his prize money and his love of soccer into an effort to do something about AIDS in Africa. He founded Grassroots Soccer, an AIDS awareness organization composed of current and pro soccer players.

"In Africa, soccer is by far the most popular sport, and soccer players are heroes," he said. "We take them, educate them about AIDS, and they go into the school to teach the children. Those children listen to them, and go on to have healthier lifestyles."

The program, which targets children aged 12 to 14, is now in Zimbabwe, Zambia, Ethiopia and South Africa. About 4,500 children have been through it so far.

Zohn urged his listeners to go home from his talk, get a piece of paper and write down two things they can do to make the world a better place.

"You don't have to have a million bucks or be famous to make a difference," he said. "You can visit an old folks' home, read to children at the library or give blood. There are 168 hours in a week, so get up and take one or two of them to do something for others."

- Slice & Dice Chop Shop 2004
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... that was fun!"

This article was also posted on OT, Buggy suggested I post it here as well.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Ethan was in my hometown yester... JohnMc 09-10-04 1
   RE: Ethan was in my hometown yester... HuckleberryHound 09-13-04 2

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

JohnMc 2679 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

09-10-04, 11:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail JohnMc Click to send private message to JohnMc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Ethan was in my hometown yesterday.."
Ya know, some people say that Ethan was an undeserving winner. But personally, I think Ethan walked away from Survivor as the winner with the greatest amount of dignitiy. He won his game without betraying anybody. And he went beyond the game, to use his experience to change his world. I don't know of any other winners that have done the same thing. The closest may have been Jenna w/her breast cancer cause. What have Rich, Tina, Brian, Vee, Sandra, and Amber done with their money?

HuckleberryHound 229 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

09-13-04, 08:44 AM (EST)
Click to EMail HuckleberryHound Click to send private message to HuckleberryHound Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Ethan was in my hometown yesterday.."
Ethan always seemed the most honest, straight-up guy among the other sharks. Most people say he didn't deserve to win Africa because he was never as back-stabbing as other winners.
This is what doomed him in All-Stars, because everyone knew hsi strategy; and he wasn't able to be devious like Hatch or Boston Rob.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •