The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Top 7 Theme - Mariah Carrey"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

Cathy the Canadian 599 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

04-13-08, 02:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cathy%20the%20Canadian Click to send private message to Cathy%20the%20Canadian Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Top 7 Theme - Mariah Carrey"
Apparently it's confirmed - Mariah Carrey will mentor the top 7, and they will perform her songs....

Yikes!!!!!!! Does that mean Sayisha gets to hear one more time how she doesn't compare to the original?

What the heck will Dave Cook come up with for this? He needs a great week!

This is going to be a rough show methinks.......

I've also read what the top 6 theme will be - Andrew Lloyd Weber, who will apparently mentor that week.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Top 7 Theme - Mariah Carrey PagongRatEater 04-13-08 1
   RE: Top 7 Theme - Mariah Carrey Cathy the Canadian 04-13-08 2
       RE: Top 7 Theme - Mariah Carrey nailbone 04-13-08 3
           RE: Top 7 Theme - Mariah Carrey Cathy the Canadian 04-13-08 5
       RE: Top 7 Theme - Mariah Carrey PagongRatEater 04-13-08 4
       RE: Top 7 Theme - Mariah Carrey emydi 04-14-08 9
       RE: Top 7 Theme - Mariah Carrey StarryLuna 04-15-08 16
   RE: Top 7 Theme - Mariah Carrey Estee 04-14-08 7
       RE: Top 7 Theme - Mariah Carrey JessicaRN 04-14-08 8
       RE: Top 7 Theme - Mariah Carrey zazzy 04-15-08 17
 RE: Top 7 Theme - Mariah Carrey Glow 04-14-08 6
   RE: Top 7 Theme - Mariah Carrey topmodelchick 04-14-08 10
   RE: Top 7 Theme - Mariah Carrey zazzy 04-15-08 19
 RE: Top 7 Theme - Mariah Carrey Colonel Zoidberg 04-14-08 11
 RE: Top 7 Theme - Mariah Carrey xwraith27 04-15-08 12
 RE: Top 7 Theme - Mariah Carrey zombiebaby 04-15-08 13
 RE: Top 7 Theme - Mariah Carrey susang 04-15-08 14
   RE: Top 7 Theme - Mariah Carrey mindy23 04-15-08 15
 Song Spoilers Ahtumbreez 04-15-08 18
   RE: Song Spoilers zazzy 04-15-08 20
   Full list of Spoilers keezrfan 04-15-08 22
 RE: Top 7 Theme - Mariah Carrey toddE 04-15-08 21

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

PagongRatEater 12996 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-13-08, 03:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Top 7 Theme - Mariah Carrey"
Not a good idea at all. Mariah has incredible range and hits impossible notes, almost none of the girls will be able to do this and the boys will just be SOL. After Dolly Parton week, wouldn't it be fairer to have a male mentor?

Regardless, its a little like having Whitney Houston week. Its nearly impossible to measure up unless you go a totally different direction with the song. And if you're worried about Cook, reinterpreting a song is his strong suit.

It is impossible to contemplate the fabric of the world without recognizing the admirable order of its arrangement and the certain manifestation of God in the perfection of its correlations. Reason, when once it had considered and admired so much beauty and so much perfection, feels a just indignation at the dauntless folly which dares ascribe all this to chance and happy accident. it must be that the Highest wisdom conceived the plan and Infinite power carried it into execution....The starry sky above me and the moral law within me are two things which fill the soul with ever increasing admiration and reverence. Emmanuel Kant

04-13-08, 05:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cathy%20the%20Canadian Click to send private message to Cathy%20the%20Canadian Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Top 7 Theme - Mariah Carrey"

> And if you're worried
>about Cook, reinterpreting a song
>is his strong suit.
>
Actually, he's been lucky to find alternate versions of songs on itunes, as he himself said. The Chris Cornell version of Billie Jean ... Elanor Rigby... Even the way he did Hello has supposedly been done before. There's a discussion about it here:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1584150/20080326/id_0.jhtml

Don't get me wrong, I like him a lot, but I'm not sure he's as creative as people think he is.....at least not yet (though I think the Dolly Parton thing was all his??).

So....I don't know that he will be able to find some cool Mariah Carrey cover online. I'll guess we'll see if he's really as creative as all that this week!

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

04-13-08, 06:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Top 7 Theme - Mariah Carrey"
Creative? Depends on your definition, I guess. He's been creative, and smart, enough to know that there are alternate versions of almost every song he's done (last week's "Innocent" was his own arrangement), and I have no doubt that he'll do something equally good this week.

And I can see Jason, and even Archie, finding something they can manage to do.

Although, for the life of me, I can't think what it might be.

I'm not all that familiar with all of Mariah's complete body of work.

04-13-08, 11:49 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Top 7 Theme - Mariah Carrey"

>"Innocent" was his own arrangement),
>and I have no doubt
>that he'll do something equally
>good this week.
>

He didn't change Innocent. It was just shortened, like all the idol songs are at this stage. And it was terrible. He started it out in a key that was way too low for his voice, and just never recovered.

And it was one of those songs that couldn't really be shortened, and still make much sense.

PagongRatEater 12996 desperate attention whore postings

04-13-08, 11:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Top 7 Theme - Mariah Carrey"
I know that his interpretations aren't original, but he shows a great deal of sense and judgement in finding remakes that fit his style and voice perfectly.

It is impossible to contemplate the fabric of the world without recognizing the admirable order of its arrangement and the certain manifestation of God in the perfection of its correlations. Reason, when once it had considered and admired so much beauty and so much perfection, feels a just indignation at the dauntless folly which dares ascribe all this to chance and happy accident. it must be that the Highest wisdom conceived the plan and Infinite power carried it into execution....The starry sky above me and the moral law within me are two things which fill the soul with ever increasing admiration and reverence. Emmanuel Kant

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

04-14-08, 01:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Top 7 Theme - Mariah Carrey"
http://www.kovideo.net/lyrics/i/Incubus/Hello-Lionel-Ritchie-Cover.html

incubus covered hello

StarryLuna 4771 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

04-15-08, 04:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail StarryLuna Click to send private message to StarryLuna Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Top 7 Theme - Mariah Carrey"
"Little Sparrow" during Dolly week was his own arrangement, he and Ryan made sure to stress that while giving all the other bands he's covered their appropriate shout-outs.

Place witty comment here.

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

04-14-08, 12:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Top 7 Theme - Mariah Carrey"
After Dolly Parton week, wouldn't it be fairer to have a male mentor?

Since when are popularity contests about fairness?

Besides, you'd need a male 'mentor' who had a major release to promote. Stoopid males all scheduled their hits for November.

JessicaRN 1112 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

04-14-08, 01:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JessicaRN Click to send private message to JessicaRN Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Top 7 Theme - Mariah Carrey"
There is always the new Bret Michaels release and his Rock of Love Tour. Just think of David Archuleta with a bandana on forgetting the words to this stuff. lol

zazzy 4390 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

04-15-08, 05:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zazzy Click to send private message to zazzy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Top 7 Theme - Mariah Carrey"
LAST EDITED ON 04-15-08 AT 05:40 PM (EST)

ITA with every word of your post, Estee.

I'd like to add don't overlook the Randy-Mariah connection, just like there is the Brit-ALW connection with Nigel.

When I saw Piers Morgan call Andrew LW for a donation for Trump's charity thing and ALW said he had a new Broadway play opening this year I could see all the backscratching going on between Trump's Celebrity Apprentice---> America's Got Talent---> American Idol.

IT's almost like a Brit (TV) mafia, lol!

ETA: Piers called Simon on the Celebrity Apprentice Finale to donate, too.

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

04-14-08, 07:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Top 7 Theme - Mariah Carrey"
Michael was going to do "Vision of Love". He sang a bit of it for Paula and she said it was wonderful. I would like to hear it please. *siiiiiiiigh*

topmodelchick 38 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

04-14-08, 03:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail topmodelchick Click to send private message to topmodelchick Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Top 7 Theme - Mariah Carrey"
I think this is going to go down as one of the worst weeks ever..I can't imagine it being ok......

04-15-08, 05:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zazzy Click to send private message to zazzy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Top 7 Theme - Mariah Carrey"
LAST EDITED ON 04-15-08 AT 05:47 PM (EST)

This week is going to suck for a variety of reasons. I am watching The Biggest Loser Finale and will look on the net or fast forward on DVR later.

I don't want to hear Ryan make some lame apology to Michael and have Simon and / or Randy make snide comments about it or song choice.

I don't want to hear any caterwauling from the majority of the cast.

I want to see/hear Michael perform his Mariah selection.

All reasons to blow off the show this week.

AI has really ruined this season for me. They also taught me not to spend any time voting again. I'm going to join the imaginary voters on the ECST. ;)

Colonel Zoidberg 3662 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

04-14-08, 04:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to send private message to Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Top 7 Theme - Mariah Carrey"
Well, chalk it up to another boring week for me and a very enjoyable week for my wife, a.k.a. the world's biggest Mariah Carey fan...

Also, anyone not named Syesha Mercado is boned this week. TiVo was wrong.

GO RED WINGS! GO WILD!

xwraith27 1136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

04-15-08, 02:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail xwraith27 Click to send private message to xwraith27 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Top 7 Theme - Mariah Carrey"
LAST EDITED ON 04-15-08 AT 02:56 AM (EST)

I'm just afraid this week will turn out to be a continuation of "Inspirational Week", with Hero, Butterfly, I'll Be There, Through The Rain, Can't Take That Away, and When You Believe probably in the roster of songs to choose from. By the way, that last song should be a double-whammy for Syesha. Mariah AND Whitney.

The guys will probably pick one of Mariah's duets, a la Thank God I Found You (with Joe, 98 Degrees) or One Sweet Day (with Boyz II Men). Love Takes Time can be "rock-ified" quite well, so that's an option for David C.

If Mariah covers are included in this list, then Against All Odds and Without You are options for the male singers.

zombiebaby 7356 desperate attention whore postings

04-15-08, 09:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail zombiebaby Click to send private message to zombiebaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Top 7 Theme - Mariah Carrey"
I dread tonight.

susang 435 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

04-15-08, 12:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail susang Click to send private message to susang Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Top 7 Theme - Mariah Carrey"
I'm skipping AI tonight

mindy23 1319 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

04-15-08, 12:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mindy23 Click to send private message to mindy23 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Top 7 Theme - Mariah Carrey"
I'm DVR'ing just in case I decide to head to "The Riches" instead. Never have been a fan of Mariah. She has an amazing range-no one can argue that. Just don't care for what she does with it. Not a fan at all! Even went through an entire hour of her on Oprah yesterday, and came away even more convinced that she just isn't getting it. How about that lingere closet, thought??? Whatever...

I don't even know most of her songs, but I do have a feeling that most of the guys are just screwed. And poor Syesha is going to be compared, come hell or high water, that girl can't win, for anything, can she? What's she supposed to do when it's DIVA WEEK?? Geez, already. Hope someone puts a gag order on Randy! He's getting to me this year, even more so than Paula, and I never thought that could be possible.

As far as the 2 David's: well, we'll just have to wait and see. David A. does only ballads, anyway, so he should be ok. I'm sure Mariah will take this little guy under her wings and give him something to chew on. David C? That will be another thing. I don't think Lady M. cares much for competition, and I do believe she'll see him as a threat, so he may be in for a tough time with her. But, I really don't know. Just because I don't like her, I'm only speculating the fact, before the facts.

Brooke? How can this half-country, half-folk even try this genre? It will more than likely be a train wreck! Kristy? Get ready for the bottom 3, I think.

Off the top of my pointy little head, I honestly can't think of ONE of these singers who can even come close to anything other than Paula's old standby "well, first of all, you look absolutely adorable tonight".......

Ahtumbreez 10456 desperate attention whore postings

04-15-08, 05:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ahtumbreez Click to send private message to Ahtumbreez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "Song Spoilers"
From MJ's Big Blog

Maybe it won't be too horrible a week if they all can put their own spin on these songs. I'm just not familiar enough with Mariah to envision what some will even attempt to do with a song.

Carly Smithson - “Without You”
David Archuleta - “When You Believe” - From Idol Forums, a hint from a Mariah Carey interview–the song is one she didn’t write, and never made to #1. She has writing credits on nearly all of her songs. Some are speculating it could be “When You Believe” a duet with Whitney Houston from The Prince of Egypt soundtrack
Jason Castro - “I Don’t Wanna Cry” - From the EW spoilers

Agman took me to the islands

04-15-08, 05:55 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Song Spoilers"
LAST EDITED ON 04-15-08 AT 06:06 PM (EST)

I read somewhere (here? IDF? can't recall) that Simon picked Carly's song. I am looking for Carly in the pimp spot and a tounge bath for Carly. They may even be nice to Syesha tonight.

Jason--in trouble? Brooke--eh.

David A--come on, the themes are picked to support him , I suppose.

David C--should be an emotional night, his brother will be there. I think the judges will give him a sorta pass.

That leaves KLC. Can't figure out if this is a disaster week or if she has an MC song up her patriotic leveraging sleeve.

Pre-performance B3 picks:

Safe: David A, David C, Carly

B3: Jason, Brooke, and Syesha if she sings early

??: KLC (why is she still there? Is it the 5'8'' statuesque-ness?

If Kristy sings one of the first three slots, I am guessing she is gone this week. If Syesha gets the early slot, then she is gone, but she had to sing second last week.

I'm **guessing** that singing order will look like this:

1) Brooke 2) David A 3) KLC or Syesha 4) Jason 5) KLC or Syesha 6) David C 7) Carly

keezrfan 127 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-15-08, 07:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail keezrfan Click to send private message to keezrfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "Full list of Spoilers"
As per TMZ....

Carly: "Without you"
David A.: "When you Believe"
Jason: "I Don't Wanna Cry" <----- hmm....
Brooke: "Hero"
David C.: "Always Be My Baby" <---- should be interesting
Kristy: "Finally" <----- ugh
Syesha: "Vanishing" <---- never heard of it

toddE 1433 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

04-15-08, 06:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail toddE Click to send private message to toddE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Top 7 Theme - Mariah Carrey"
Well, I have to admit that I like quite a few Mariah songs.

The big belter ballads have been pretty well listed here, and should bode well for the big voices of Carly, David A and Syesha.

Kristy isn't as out of her element as Brooke and Jason, but they seem to have growing fanbases, and I think Kristy's had her moment. She'll probably deliver an ok performance and then get booted. Like Michael did, but not so surprising.

David C. might come up with something different that works this week. No idea what he'll choose. Love Takes Time, maybe?

Brooke and Jason are in trouble. Hopefully they both go for relatively non-bombastic Mariah numbers like the already mentioned Vision of Love, or even better: Fantasy, Dreamlover, Heartbreaker or Loverboy. Maybe Jason will sing Always be my Baby? He seems to be even more out of his element than Brooke.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •