The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Richard Hatch"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Fanatic Forum (Protected)
Original message

polo 9 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

05-10-04, 11:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail polo Click to send private message to polo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Richard Hatch"
Please post your comments on the original king of survivor "Richard Hatch."

Post your opinions on his play in the All-star game.

I personally was very disappointed at his total lack of game. I was waiting for him to do something brilliant, something that had never been done before, but in the end he just sat around naked, not making any alliances, and got kicked out early.

He wasn't planing anything brilliant, he wasn't planing anything at all!

I was totally disappointed when he exited the game. I was waiting for a payoff that never came.

It was like dense clouds and no rain, a singularly unfulfilling situation.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Richard Hatch polo 05-11-04 1
 RE: Richard Hatch theking0075 05-11-04 2
   RE: Richard Hatch polo 05-11-04 3
 RE: Richard Hatch JohnMc 05-11-04 4
 RE: Richard Hatch CaptainP 05-11-04 5
   RE: Richard Hatch geg6 05-11-04 6
   RE: Richard Hatch polo 05-12-04 9
 Richard Hatch zeako 05-11-04 7
   RE: Richard Hatch big tom fan 05-11-04 8
   RE: Richard Hatch polo 05-12-04 10
   RE: Richard Hatch geg6 05-12-04 11
       RE: Richard Hatch polo 05-13-04 12
           RE: Richard Hatch buscemi 05-14-04 13
       What if? PagongRatEater 05-14-04 14
           RE: What if? geg6 05-14-04 15
 RE: Richard Hatch wildchickenhunter 05-14-04 16

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

05-11-04, 11:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail polo Click to send private message to polo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Richard Hatch"
No one seems to care about poor old Richard Hatch anymore?

theking0075 331 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

05-11-04, 12:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail theking0075 Click to send private message to theking0075 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Richard Hatch"
I still found his smug attitude and comments entertaining and I still think he was one of the best ever. He was in the early stages of setting up his game when he was voted off. His most fatal mistake was picking the wrong alliance. He tried to align himself with Cobly and Lex when he should have aligned with Kathy and Shi-Ann. It was very disappointing he left so early cause he would have been an interesting post merge player to watch. A big part of his startegy is catching fish. Had he been in a tribe where Rupert did all the fishing, how would he have responded? Guess we'll never know. Also, it would have been very interesting to see what would have happened had they booted Lex rather than Richard and then Rob issues to old, "Take care of her or I'll take care of you!" to Richard. I'm sure Rich would have had some pretty funny responses to that!

"Evil" Dr. Will: Reality Show Legend!

05-11-04, 12:40 PM (EST)
3. "RE: Richard Hatch"

>He was in the early
>stages of setting up his
>game when he was voted
>off.

I don't agree. He never set anything up personally. He was "approached" with news, an offer of an alliance from Shidevil. He played like a pawn. He had no creative ideas of his own. It was very disappointing. I was expecting something brilliant from the king.

JohnMc 2679 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

05-11-04, 01:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JohnMc Click to send private message to JohnMc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Richard Hatch"
I think Rich wanted to play. Rich just played it wrong this time. He wanted to be more irritating, and he played up the naked thing too much.

He spent too much time away from camp instead of forming alliances. Instead of fishing, if he wanted to play the game then he'd have stuck around and let them see his softer side.

(Or maybe they saw too much of his softer side. Or maybe there wasn't much of his soft side to see....)

But seriously, he could have played better. Maybe he thought he was too big a target and he would go early. Or maybe he just was willing to take a loser's paycheck and just enjoy his vacation. Ultimately, though, I think he wanted to win. He just needed to change his game.

CaptainP 55 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

05-11-04, 02:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CaptainP Click to send private message to CaptainP Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Richard Hatch"
Rich is still one of my favorites, I think he is one of the few All-Stars whose position is still pretty secure in the Survivor rankings. He came into this game with a huge target on his back, and he knew that. He knew that if he started the game playing hard and making Alliances with everyone, that would have created suspicion against him from the start. So instead, he decided to take a leasurely devil-may-care approach and let what happened, happen. He was in a tribe who, at the start of the game, was comprised of Survivor's chief schemers and strategists. Therefore, any act he did was bound to cause suspicion. I agree with what was said about forming the wrong alliance though. In the Survivor Insiders, it appears that he and Colby were close at first and he seemed to think Lex was with them as well. When Ethan and Jerri moved into Mogo Mogo, Rich found out about Lex and Colby siding with Ethan so then he moved to secure Shii Ann and Kathy. This came across to the pair that Rich was doing a flip-flop and being untrustworthy, which is what Rich wanted to avoid at the start of the game by being a little aloof and spending his primary time fishing.

I honestly think it's a shame what happened to Mogo Mogo since many of the more interesteing characters were doomed not to advance far due to Lex/Kathy's strategy this time around. Lex/Kathy/Shii Ann were the solid three in that group, and they subsituted different people for their fourth in their voting block. I honestly think that Mogo Mogo's downfall began not with the Colby vote but with the ouster of Rich. Kathy said in a post-game interview how Chapera had this team spirit and energy to them that Mogo Mogo lacked after Rich was ousted. Love him or hate him, Rich was the spark behind Mogo Mogo and a good middle-man between Colby/Ethan and Jerri/Shii Ann. I think if Rich wasn't ousted first in Mogo Mogo, maybe the rest of the game would have been completely different.

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-11-04, 04:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Richard Hatch"
CaptainP, I couldn't have said it better myself. There is almost nothing in your post that I don't agree with. Rich was pretty much in a Catch-22 situation, especially with the tribe he was in and the total lack of even one brain between Kathy and Lex. I said, much to the derision of many of my friends, that Mogo Mogo was doomed the minute they voted Rich out. Just imagine Mogo Mogo going into the pre-merge and merge with Rich, Colby, Ethan, and Lex, with Jerri and Shii Ann as the possible hangers-on (if the strongman alliance had won a bunch of immunities). Even without Lex, this would have been a very strong and competitive bunch. Lex is one of the biggest disappointments of this entire game because I really thought he should have won in Africa and that MB had just made him look stupid and insane. A.S.S. has shown I was completely wrong (bamboozled if you will) about that. Kathy...not so much a disappointment because I never thought much of her anyway. I don't care what anyone says, Rich is still the king (with Brian just a hair behind) and his straight talk about the game at the reunion show showed that he is STILL the only one that GETS it.

05-12-04, 08:48 AM (EST)
9. "RE: Richard Hatch"
That was an excellent explanation CaptainP. Thank you!

zeako 99 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

05-11-04, 04:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zeako Click to send private message to zeako Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "Richard Hatch"
I think Boston Rob said it best when he said Rich in Survivor I had it very easy and it was like "shooting fish in a barrel." The first vote after the merge the 5 Pagongs voted for five different people. Hatch and Hawk had an alliance of four which was beatable if the Pagongs had their act together but they were a feable opposition. Rich and Susan also lost Kelly's vote for several tribal council's but were lucky enough to have the alphabet voter to piggy-back on.

In short, I think Rich is vastly overrated. His comments at the reunion show were bang on though.

big tom fan 15 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

05-11-04, 08:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail big%20tom%20fan Click to send private message to big%20tom%20fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Richard Hatch"
i do not think rich is vastly overrated. cmon now he created the idea of alliances that changed the gave forever. that alone is enough for him to be an allstar.

as for his stratey in this game i am not sure what to think. the reason for him getting voted off was because of fear by the other tirbemates (well colby at least) because they were worried about him in the later game with alliances.

he had some great moments thouygh. the fishing was huge, and i loved his idea for his teams boat in one of the challenges and not do a thing to it. that was briliant.

05-12-04, 08:56 AM (EST)
10. "RE: Richard Hatch"
LAST EDITED ON 05-12-04 AT 08:57 AM (EST)

Zeako, How can you say Richard was overrated, when he "invented" the alliance? Are you kidding me? He's the grand Papa of survivor.

05-12-04, 10:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Richard Hatch"
LAST EDITED ON 05-12-04 AT 10:21 AM (EST)

Boston Rob only said that because he wishes he was the genius at the game that Hatch is. There was nothing easy about being the first group to play this game. Rich's brilliance is demonstrated by the fact that of the first 16 players, he was the only one to figure out how to play a game that really had no blueprint. He CREATED the blueprint by which all subsequent Survivor seasons have been played. There have only been two absolutely flawless and brilliant players of this game: the one who created the whole thing (Hatch) and the one who was his best pupil (Brian). The both used the same basic strategy and carried it out with cunning, intelligence, and eloquence. And to those who would say that Rob C. or Rob M. were just as good, I cite the d*mning evidence of a lack of a million dollars in their bank accounts.

05-13-04, 10:20 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Richard Hatch"
Also Geg6, there was a practice game, or pilot, that came before the first survivor. And nobody thought of an alliance then either.

buscemi 414 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

05-14-04, 10:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail buscemi Click to send private message to buscemi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Richard Hatch"
Fascinating. I've never heard anything about this "practice game." Do you have any more info. about it, and is there any info. about it on the web?

PagongRatEater 12996 desperate attention whore postings

05-14-04, 11:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "What if?"
LAST EDITED ON 05-14-04 AT 03:23 PM (EST)

Kelly had won the game. To the viewing audience at the time it was INCONCIEVABLE that Rich would win a jury vote. I think it may have even suprised Rich (not that he would ever admit it). He stepped of that pole in the final challenge right away, confident that he was the "no-brainer" choice to take to final TC because he wasa so hated.

Would the game have ended up being more about actual Surviving than who makes the best Alliance? And when does this game become a bunch of Johnny Fairplay's running around doing whatever it takes to win the million?

Rich set the tone for the rest of the series, no question. But at the end of the day - was that really a good thing?

05-14-04, 03:12 PM (EST)
15. "RE: What if?"
Depends on what you think is good. I don't think I would have been near the fan I am today if it was just a survival in jungle type of show. That would just bore me to death. So I think that Hatch, Brian, Rob C., Rob M. and (yes, but it kills me to say so), even Johnny Fairplay have been nothing but good for me. But then, I have a BA in political science, so this is sooooo much fun for me because I have a bit of a Machiavellian mind and admire those who are able to use those tactics in a harmless context. This is why the Amazing Race is so boring to me. No real sociological or political insight is needed. Even the psychology of that game is pretty much on the level of the individual, not the group. Not my cup of tea. So, to answer your question more simply, if Kelly W. had won the game I probably would never have watched it again.

wildchickenhunter 3192 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

05-14-04, 03:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail wildchickenhunter Click to send private message to wildchickenhunter Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Richard Hatch"
borrowing from Seinfeld...

Love the Dique.

Flying my car to the nudie bar!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •