The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Rank the TAR Seasons & The Even/Odd Curse"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Fanatics Forum (Protected)
Original message

FFantasyFX 1028 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

05-11-05, 12:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FFantasyFX Click to send private message to FFantasyFX Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Rank the TAR Seasons & The Even/Odd Curse"
On another thread, I noted that the The Amazing Race's Even/Odd curse had apparently continued. For those not familiar with this theory, many people believe that the editions of the series with an odd number are better than the editions that end up with an even number. An odd curiousity, but one that agree with so far. A rank the seasons thread always ends up popping up after season finales, so I thought I might as well get the ball rolling. I'll tabulate the results, and we'll see if the majority of the board subscribes to the even/odd theory. Go ahead and rank the seasons from one to seven, and be sure to include your reasoning!

1.) TAR5 - Strong cast, memorable incidents, and arguably the first beloved winning couple (although I personally liked the winners of TAR Classic as well).

2.) TAR Classic - Contained the excitment of something new, interesting tasks and wide-open gameplay, and the infamous Team Guido misplays the Fast Forward episode.

3.) TAR7 - Romber brings a Survivor spin to TAR, interesting tasks, likable winners. Very strong final episodes.

4.) TAR3 - Interesting cast dynamics, many memorable moments. Unfortunately Flo won, but at least Zach deserved his share of the grand prize.

5.) TAR2 - Meh winners - lost some of the sparkle from the first season.

6.) TAR6 - Unlikable winners, model-heavy cast, bunching galore.

7.) TAR4 - Absolutely horrendous. Uncharismatic teams, unlikable winners, and just a bland feeling of same-old same-old. I actually skipped the first hour and a half of the finale, something I've never done before or since.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 My rankings realitybites 05-11-05 1
 RE: Rank the TAR Seasons & The Even... LittleLiebs89 05-11-05 2
   RE: Rank the TAR Seasons & The Even... universityofkentuckyrocks 05-11-05 3
 RE: Rank the TAR Seasons & The Even... Jims02 05-11-05 4
 RE: Rank the TAR Seasons & The Even... 1stAgent 05-11-05 5
 RE: Rank the TAR Seasons & The Even... Ratboy 05-12-05 6
 RE: Rank the TAR Seasons & The Even... applejack93 05-12-05 7
 RE: Rank the TAR Seasons & The Even... 712 05-12-05 8
 RE: Rank the TAR Seasons & The Even... Bebo 05-12-05 9
   RE: Rank the TAR Seasons & The Even... anotherkim 05-15-05 13
 First Update FFantasyFX 05-14-05 10
 RE: Rank the TAR Seasons & The Even... sittem 05-14-05 11
 RE: Rank the TAR Seasons & The Even... ohmyheck 05-15-05 12

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

realitybites 1174 desperate attention whore postings

05-11-05, 02:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail realitybites Click to send private message to realitybites Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "My rankings"
1) TAR Classic
2) TAR2
------------------
3) TAR5
4) TAR7
5) TAR3
------------------
6) TAR4
------------------
99) TAR6

LittleLiebs89 26 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

05-11-05, 06:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LittleLiebs89 Click to send private message to LittleLiebs89 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Rank the TAR Seasons & The Even/Odd Curse"
1) TAR5- best locations and overall route, first time a popular and genuinely good time won, memorable characters, competitive characters

2)TAR1- memorable charcters, no one knew the ins and outs of the game, it was very fresh, unpredictable and exciting

3)TAR 7- lots of memorable events, OK locations, diverse teams, new element of scheming

4) TAR2- the game was still fresh and not mastered by the contestants, funny teams and events, GREAT FINISH

5) TAR6- good locations, too many "models", dissapointing finish, but a lot of close pit stop finishes

6) TAR3- great people, although Zach and Flo Won,

7) TAR4- it doesn't really stand out in my mind, although I do remember comedy from kelly and jon and drama from chip and reichen

universityofkentuckyrocks 2575 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

05-11-05, 07:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail universityofkentuckyrocks Click to send private message to universityofkentuckyrocks Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Rank the TAR Seasons & The Even/Odd Curse"
I did not see the first two but I will rank TAR3-TAR7

#1. TAR 7 (people might disagree about this because of the people but in reality this one is about as close as you can get)

#2. TAR 5 (this one had good people and characters that were fun to watch. I also didn't dislike anybody)

#3. TAR 3 (this one was high up there because Flo and Zach overcame that horrendous leg before the ending)

#4. TAR 4 (nobody comes back to my mind except for Reichen and Chip were in it0

#5 TAR 6 (I only liked one team and they are my favorite of all time, Freddy and Kendra. I hate it because there was to much arguing. I also didn't the abusing Jonathon beating up on Victoria.)

Jims02 7407 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-11-05, 08:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Jims02 Click to send private message to Jims02 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Rank the TAR Seasons & The Even/Odd Curse"
My order is similar to yours:

1. TAR5

-Such a great season. Teams like Colin/Christie, Chip/Kim, and Charla/Mirna made this season the best. Even teams that went out early made a memorable impression.

2. TAR7

-This season was very good. Rob/Amber really added to this season. Great winnners too.

3. TAR1

-It was an good season. The Guidos and Festers were fun to watch. OK winners.

4. TAR3

-Not excited about the Flo victory, but at least it was interesting to watch. It was kind of sad to be rooting for Teri and Ian though in the end.

5. TAR6

-Kind of a negative season, but it did have Kris/Jon, who were all around good people.

6. TAR2

-Probably the most bland cast of all the seasons, but some teams were interesting, particularly Tara/Wil and Gary/Dave.

7. TAR4

-I just didn't like this season. And I couldn't stand Reichen and Chip. That makes things worse.

Jims02: Proud member of the inoffensive OT Triumvirate. Jims' Random Thoughts

1stAgent 6 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

05-11-05, 11:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail 1stAgent Click to send private message to 1stAgent Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Rank the TAR Seasons & The Even/Odd Curse"
I only saw the last episode of TAR1, so I won't put it in the rankings. But based on that last episode, and what I've read about it, it would certainly be either one or two on the list.

1) TAR7- Great cast, including a "villain" team that did so by playing hard and dirty, rather than through yelling or whining. New and interesting tasks, solid mix of locations, excellent gamesmanship.

2) TAR2- The first one for me. I really liked the diversity of the cast. The old routine challenges weren't back then, it was their first venture into South America and Australia/New Zealand, and no season since has had a better ending.

3) TAR5- Thankfully the interesting teams stuck around. Good location selection, although you have to wonder why it took this long to hit Egypt, Russia or Canada. Great, deserving winners in Chip & Kim. However, the tasks got a little stale and while Colin was an asset, his yelling was a little over-the-top for me.

4) TAR3- The likeable teams just wouldn't stay put, and Ken & Gerard just couldn't carry the rest. Interesting race route, hitting Mexico and Britain (and crossing the Strait of Gibralter), but took too long to get out of Europe. And 2 non-elims in a row? Bad move.

5) TAR6- Almost every team was either bland or annoying. Too many challenges revolved around luck, and after TAR5 broke ground in Canada, 6 went to Hawaii for the fourth time. Ironically, the race route was what saved it from being last, with visits to Scandinavia, West Africa and Sri Lanka.

6) TAR4- In a world with almost 200 nations, how can an international race with 13 legs only visit 2 new counties? The Netherlands and South Korea. That was it. There were not many capable teams you could root for, and for the first half of the race the team that finished first was either last place or close to it in the next leg. I guess then we were just happy the race was on again.

Ratboy 79 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

05-12-05, 01:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Ratboy Click to send private message to Ratboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Rank the TAR Seasons & The Even/Odd Curse"
I'll bite.

TAR1: The clues were better, the racers were brand new to it, an unlikely villian, and a very emotional ending where you had to feel sorry for the 2nd place team. And the first leg in Thailand was great action too. Great competition for the F.F.

TAR2: I don't know why people rag on this one so much. South America was great, Gutsy Grannies somehow making it to three episodes, the beauty of Paige, the conflict between Tara and Will and Chris and Alex, and the contrasting styles and personality of the final six teams made this a great season. (Mary/Peach, Gary/David, Cha-Cha-Cha, Blake/Paige, Tara/Will, Chris/Alex.) And also, the closest finish and best final city tasks.

TAR5: Chip/Kim were great, action right off the bat with Jim going down, Colin in Africa, Charla showing up Myrna, and the heartbreak of the bowling moms being passed during the most physically demanding Roadblock, ever.

TAR3: John Vito and Jill, Ken and Gerard bumbling through Cambridge, Ian returning to Vietnam, Andre and Damon's troubles in Morocco, Flo accidentially contributing to the elimination of Racer boyfriend Drew (or Derek, whichever.) Points taken away for Flo winning after hundreds of claims of her desire to quit.

TAR7: So many close finishes, the pluckiness of Meredith and Gretchen after her injury, the brothers wreck and comeback, Gretchen and Meredith in India, Uchenna and Joyce winning directly after having their money taken, great locations. Points taken away for bad roadblocks (too easy, i.e. shoe-shining, shopping; or just plain stupid, i.e. eating four pounds of meat), teams immediate loathsomeness of Rob and Amber (if you are going to hate them, at least get a reason first), Rob and Amber's over-reliance on outside help, and Kelly's comments to Ron about POW.

TAR6: The beauty of Kris, Kris and John's relationship, Lena's never-say-ddie attitude, Kris the Goddess, Don and Mary Jean and their enthusiasm just to be on the race, Ethiopa, and the beauty that is Kris. Points taken away for Jonathan and Victoria, bad combination of teams, and the most despicable winners ever.

TAR4: The clowns, good competition between some teams (especially roadblock between Jon and Chuck), neat Roadblock in Venice, teams screwing up and getting too close to the North Korean border. Points taken away for lack of interesting teams, too much Europe, boring final three, and lack of suspense during the finale. Very blah season overall.

applejack93 288 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

05-12-05, 09:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail applejack93 Click to send private message to applejack93 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Rank the TAR Seasons & The Even/Odd Curse"
TAR 5 - It cannot be argued. This was just incredible TV. Everyone was great, and the villains weren't so bad that you wanted to leave the room (Colin and Christie rock my socks). Linda and Karen also proved themselves the strongest Female/Female team of all time, and Charla and Mirna and Kami/Karli were also very strong. I loved it.

TAR 1 - Once more, incredible TV. Everone was fresh, and very naive.

TAR 7 - Easily a brilliant series again. I just wish Debbie and Bianca hadn't lost in the 3rd ep, they had sooooo much potential. AND brilliant performance by oldies (remember - the aim isn't to win every leg, it's to STAY IN).

TAR 4 - why does everyone beat up on this so much? Kelly and Jon were in it - KELLY and JON! They were too funny. Their conflict with Millie and Chuck was just fantastic, and the clowns were so much fun to watch. AND it was nice to see a catty team (Kelly and John) get along with each other and not put each other down, they were really supportive. I really enjoyed it, but was terribly angry that Reichen and Chip won - it should have been KELLY and JON.

TAR 3 - Brilliant performance by Teri and Ian, I wish they had gone on to win it. Flo and Zach didn't deserve to win simply because of Flo.

TAR 2 - meh. I can't really remember much, except that Blake and Paige and Danny and Oswald were brilliant. But it was better than TAR 6 all the same.

TAR 6 - Ugh ugh ugh. Just terrible compared to the others. Kris and Jon, whilst lovely, weren't very interesting, and they were pretty much the only couple in their that her weren't ridiculously neurotic.

712 356 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

05-12-05, 01:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail 712 Click to send private message to 712 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Rank the TAR Seasons & The Even/Odd Curse"
1) TAR5 - COME ON CHARLA!!!!! Best teams, best locations, first Egypt leg has to be my favorite of all time.

2) TAR2 - I prefered 2 to 1 for the stupidest reasons... the weather was generally sunnier than TAR1, I found myself rooting for almost all of the teams at some point or another and loved them all, I liked the clothing the racers wore as compared to the first season and everyone's matching winter jackets...

3) TAR1 - The cryptic clues. I wish they had more of those today. Something was... weird about the editing though, made it seem more like a doccumentary than the adrenaline fest it has become.

4) TAR3 - Loved the final 5 teams (including Flo!). Locations were cool. SO MUCH DRAMA!

5) TAR7 - This has been the meh-est season of all time, for me. Tasks seemed way too easy, though I did like the fact that they involved more interaction with locals (ie shoeshine, scales in Turkey, shopping in South Africa). I liked that they changed the begging rule so that one cannot bet during the pitstop. Also, significantly less bunching than previous seasons.

6) TAR4 - Loved Kelly/Jon and Tian/Jaree, but other than that, the teams were boring and unlikable. I hated Reichen/Chip, David/Jeff, Millie/Chuck, Clowns, Supremes... Locations and tasks were good though, but the teams and the bunching wrecked it for me.

7) TAR6 - Where to even begin... too much Europe, WAY too much bunching, too many teams I hated. All the teams seemed so "cliquey" for some reason... too much fighting within teams, which I do not like, as opposed to fighting between teams, which I can't get enough of. I did like the Senegal, Ethiopia, and Sri Lanka legs though.

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

05-12-05, 02:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Rank the TAR Seasons & The Even/Odd Curse"
1. TAR1 - Special because it was the first.

2. TAR5 - Memorable characters with some good racing thrown in. Never thought I'd say this, but Colin and Christie are my favorite runner-up team. Colin was a jerk, but he raced hard and gave us the best quote ever on TAR, "My...ox...is...broken!"

3. TAR2 - Loads of fun, especially watching Wil get.so.close and not win.

4. TAR7 - With better tasks, this group of players would have rated higher. I want them to have to solve puzzles (like they did during the Sherlock Holmes Detour), not just follow directions.

5. TAR3 - Despising Flo is my main beef with this one.

6. TAR4 - Almost made me miss Flo. Damn you.

7. TAR6 - Didn't like the teams, didn't like the tasks. At this point, I was nervous this show was jumping the shark.

"If there was ever a time you wanted permission to run over a clown . . . ."

anotherkim 14420 desperate attention whore postings

05-15-05, 05:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail anotherkim Click to send private message to anotherkim Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Rank the TAR Seasons & The Even/Odd Curse"
I'm copying Bebo's list because she's exactly right on all counts.

of course, the online version was the best one ever.

FFantasyFX 1028 desperate attention whore postings

05-14-05, 04:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail FFantasyFX Click to send private message to FFantasyFX Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "First Update"
LAST EDITED ON 05-14-05 AT 04:12 AM (EST)

Overall rankings, after ten participants:

1.) TAR5 - 1.8 average
2.) TAR Classic - 1.875
3.) TAR7 - 3.1
4.) TAR2 - 3.56
5.) TAR3 - 4.6
6.) TAR4 - 6.3
6.) TAR6 - 6.3

Some brief notes:

TAR5 is currently besting the original TAR by the most miniscule of leads. Neither edition has been ranked lower than third by any poster so far, and the two editions monopolize first place rankings - TAR5 with 50%, TAR Classic with 30%. (TAR7 has the remaining 20%).

TAR2 is the most volatile edition as far as opinions go. Its rankings range from 2nd to 6th. Oddly enough, no one has given it a first place or last place ranking so far though.

Fifty percent of voters have placed TAR3 smack dab in the middle of their rankings.

We currently have a tie for last place, not only in terms of average, but last place finishes as well. Both TAR4 and TAR6 have received 50% of total last place votes.

Go ahead and make your voice heard!

sittem 4186 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

05-14-05, 11:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sittem Click to send private message to sittem Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Rank the TAR Seasons & The Even/Odd Curse"
Fantasy - your ranking is perfect - I wouldn't change a thing.

2002 IceCat Originals, Inc. All rights reserved.

ohmyheck 1919 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-15-05, 04:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ohmyheck Click to send private message to ohmyheck Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Rank the TAR Seasons & The Even/Odd Curse"
I'll do pro's and con's first.

TAR Classic Pro's

-Better Clues
-Awesome teams
-Frangarita
-Emily's 'flotation devices'
-Momily
-The Festers
-No precedent to go on
-Great locations
-Guido's lost
-Likable Winners

TAR Classic Con's

-Boring Winners
-Momily take a penalty
-Too much Thailand
-Too much India
-Too much Tunisia
-Too much puking (Amie in Tunisia, Margarita and Bill in China)

TAR 2 Pro's

-Brazil
-Boring Teams gone early
-Cha-Cha-Cha
-Historic places in southern africa
-Not too much Puking
-Good Detours
-Blake and Paige
-Best finish ever, one that can never be recreated

TAR 2 Con's

-Boring Reviled Winners
-Too much Thailand Again
-Way too much Australia/New Zealand
-southern route
-Wil
-Tara
-Gary and Dave trying too hard to be the festers

TAR 3 Pro's

-Interesting teams
-An 'old' team getting far
-John Vito and Jill
-The 'Twinhunt'
-Heave's penalty
-good finish
-Zach's inhuman patience
-Excellent Challenges
-No luck involved in elimination
-Diesel fuel
-Very new route

TAR 3 Con's

-Flo
-Flo
-Flo winning
-John Vito and Jill getting eliminated
-Flo in Vietnam
-Flo in Morrocco
-Flo in Portugal
-Flo in the same damn universe
-Instead of the LAKR, I follow the LAFR
-Flo
-Flo

TAR 4 Pro's

<crickets chirping>
-Ummm...Kelly and Jon?
-Ummm...Clowns?
-Ummm...Demilitarized Zone?
<awkward silence>
-That's about it

TAR 4 Con's

-Every fricken second of the stupid season

TAR 5 Pro's

-Chip/Kim
-Colin/Christie blowing up
-Brandon/Nicole losing
-Linda/Karen
-Kami/Karli's stupidity
-Charla outdoing Mirna
-Marshall/Lance leaving... finally
-Bob/Joyce's devotion to each other
-Jim's accident
-Alison gone
-Donny breaks up with Alison
-Much talk about naked skydiving
-The first yield
-Too many to list!

TAR 5 Con's

-Not enough fast forward's
-Too many yield's
-Alison
-Alison
-Too much puking beauty queens
-Alison
-broken ox

TAR 6 Pro's

-Kris/Jon
-Mary Adam in the diving suit in Corsica
-donkeys
-Ethiopia
-Jerko gets eliminated
-Jonathan gets eliminated
-idiots get eliminated

TAR 6 con's

-every other moment
-all that damn bunching

TAR 7 pro's

-all of the footraces to the pitstops
-Uchenna/Joyce
-Joyce getting her head shaved
-Rob/Amber's scheming
-little bunching compared to TAR 6
-Ron takes a wrong turn
-The wicked witch of South Carolina loses
-Grrrreeeeeeetttttttccccchhhhhheeeennnnn loses

TAR 7 con's

-Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrreeeeeeedddddddddiiiiiitttttttthhhhh
-OOOOOOHHHHH MMYYYYYYY GGGGGGAAAAAAWWWWWWWDDDDDD!
-Gretchen's kvetchings
-Brother's lose

Rankings

1) TAR Classic - You can't beat the original

2) TAR 3 - If you mute all of the parts with Flo, this season is really good.

3) TAR 5 - One of the best

4) TAR 7 - Still an amazing race

5) TAR 2 - Still really good

6) TAR 4 - Better than...

7-999,999) TAR 6 - The only season I won't buy on DVD.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •