The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"What other penalty can be imposed so that racers don't have to beg?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Fanatics Forum (Protected)
Original message

RealityMom 560 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

05-11-05, 10:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail RealityMom Click to send private message to RealityMom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"What other penalty can be imposed so that racers don't have to beg?"
I know that the nonelimination rounds are a key element of TAR and penalties have to be imposed on a team that comes in last but still continues in the game but I think creating a situation where the racers must become beggars is so demeaning. This is the first season I've watched TAR and I really enjoyed it but each time I saw a team begging people for money, sometimes in countries where people really couldn't afford to give any, made me cringe. It was particularly difficult to watch Uchenna and Joyce last night. These are two people who've lost their jobs. I've read that many Americans are just a few paychecks from homelessness. I don't know what U/J's situation is- they may have gotten good severance packages but that's not the point. In the U.S., we equate begging with people who are down on their luck, at best, and who often have a host of problems. I think most people are proud. I know that people who go on the show know that having to beg is a possibility but what you can do in the abstract and how it makes you feel in the reality are often quite different. I think Joyce was more upset yesterday than she was when she shaved her hair. I know that part of this was that the finish was in sight and they kept having obstacles but I think it was also because she and Uchenna felt so uncomfortable asking for money. I really haven't enjoyed the NELs and wouldn't mind seeing them eliminated but if they keep them as part of the show, maybe the team who benefits from it should lose all the money they have, just get half of the next amount or get a bigger time penalty. Seeing Americans beg all around the world is not the positive message TAR should be making!

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: What other penalty can be impos... PagongRatEater 05-11-05 1
   RE: What other penalty can be impos... cahaya 05-11-05 3
       RE: What other penalty can be impos... RealityMom 05-12-05 27
 RE: What other penalty can be impos... Urban_Kitten 05-11-05 2
   RE: What other penalty can be impos... KMan 05-11-05 4
       RE: What other penalty can be impos... mgs090 05-11-05 5
 Agree trigirl 05-11-05 6
 RE: What other penalty can be impos... mikey 05-11-05 7
   RE: What other penalty can be impos... FFantasyFX 05-11-05 8
   RE: What other penalty can be impos... bostonrobfan 05-11-05 16
   RE: What other penalty can be impos... Earl Colby Pottinger 05-15-05 37
 RE: What other penalty can be impos... RealityMom 05-11-05 9
   RE: What other penalty can be impos... KMan 05-11-05 10
   RE: What other penalty can be impos... gengin 05-11-05 17
 RE: What other penalty can be impos... LibraRising 05-11-05 11
   RE: What other penalty can be impos... fairyprincess 05-11-05 12
   RE: What other penalty can be impos... Jealousy 05-11-05 19
 RE: What other penalty can be impos... snoopy 05-11-05 13
   RE: What other penalty can be impos... snoopy 05-11-05 15
 RE: What other penalty can be impos... Urban_Kitten 05-11-05 14
 RE: What other penalty can be impos... Ratboy 05-11-05 18
   RE: What other penalty can be impos... Cathy the Canadian 05-11-05 22
       RE: What other penalty can be impos... pmspml5 05-13-05 34
 The begging proves... IceCat 05-11-05 20
   RE: The begging proves... RealityMom 05-11-05 21
   RE: The begging proves... Max Headroom 05-13-05 32
   RE: The begging proves... applejack93 05-15-05 38
 RE: What other penalty can be impos... Jenna_F 05-11-05 23
 RE: What other penalty can be impos... maggiebob 05-11-05 24
   RE: What other penalty can be impos... RealityAmy 05-11-05 25
   here's a thought . . . calicokat 05-12-05 26
   RE: What other penalty can be impos... Cathy the Canadian 05-12-05 29
       RE: What other penalty can be impos... RBA 05-12-05 30
 RE: What other penalty can be impos... mikey 05-12-05 28
   RE: What other penalty can be impos... cahaya 05-13-05 33
 RE: What other penalty can be impos... RBA 05-12-05 31
 RE: What other penalty can be impos... RealityMom 05-15-05 35
   RE: What other penalty can be impos... Deekeryu 05-15-05 36
 RE: What other penalty can be impos... coolbluepig 05-15-05 39

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

PagongRatEater 12996 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-11-05, 10:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: What other penalty can be imposed so that racers don't have to beg?"
I don't really mind the begging, but I can see thaat it serves no real purpose except to delay the team. I see two possible alternatives:

1) A time penalty, perhaps mandatory 1 or 2 hour delay in leaving the pit stop.

2) Additional task - it would make for interesting viewing and also consume the time taken up by begging.

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

05-11-05, 11:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: What other penalty can be imposed so that racers don't have to beg?"
My thoughts exactly, even before this thread opened up. I kind of like the second option of an additional task better -- it's not a fixed amount of time and adds a little variability and suspense to how the team can catch up.

Task: Now you have to peel 500 potatoes to add to the Argentine beef and Jamaican onions.

05-12-05, 04:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RealityMom Click to send private message to RealityMom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: What other penalty can be imposed so that racers don't have to beg?"
Cahaya,
I just remembered that you are also the great Uchenna! Let me congratulate you for winning the race and for your gorgeous wife.

Urban_Kitten 170 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-11-05, 10:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Urban_Kitten Click to send private message to Urban_Kitten Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: What other penalty can be imposed so that racers don't have to beg?"
I agree.
I find the concept of Americans begging for money really distasteful - especially when they're in Developing Countries. I would prefer that they forfeit all of their extra cash & possessions but start the next leg with the start-up cash - you could toss in an extra time penalty too for good measure.

Neutiquam erro (I am not lost).

KMan 141 desperate attention whore postings

05-11-05, 11:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail KMan Click to send private message to KMan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: What other penalty can be imposed so that racers don't have to beg?"
I couldn't agree more. I felt really bad for Uchenna at the airport last night begging. It just wasn't in him to do so.

mgs090 2 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

05-11-05, 11:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mgs090 Click to send private message to mgs090 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: What other penalty can be imposed so that racers don't have to beg?"
I totally agree. Making them beg for money is a time consuming denigrating task.

I like the idea of having them do an extra task, one that could keep the viewer entertained. The time penalty would be boring.

What I really hate - OT - is when a team is getting a good lead and they all end up sitting at the airport or train station, or in front of a place that won't open for hours, then they loose their well earned lead...

trigirl 2851 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

05-11-05, 12:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail trigirl Click to send private message to trigirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "Agree"
LAST EDITED ON 05-11-05 AT 12:04 PM (EST)

The begging is the only part of the show I dislike. I completely agree with all of you that an additional task would be better than all that begging. The opposite of a 'Fast Forward'. I'm sure they could have some catchy name.... perhaps 'Time Out', 'Penalty Box' or 'Chance'. When they complete that task, they could receive the clue they would have begun with. If the producers insist on a $ penalty they could tie that it with the penalty task. Think of Monopoly and buying your way out of jail.

I liked the removing of possessions thing this season though. Who'da thought that M&G would have lasted so long as bag people.

mikey 1150 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

05-11-05, 12:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mikey Click to send private message to mikey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: What other penalty can be imposed so that racers don't have to beg?"
I agree that begging could be particularly unseemly in the next, family edition, where kids as young as 12 might have to do it.

If you could reorganize the orders of the yields, fast forwards and non-elim legs, perhaps you could lose any unused yields or fast forwards if you finished last in a non-elim leg.

Perhaps you could be given something heavy to carry on the next leg. "You must carry these two bowling balls to the next pit stop."

And all the other teams could be put up in a nice hotel at night and you have to sleep on the street.

Or everyone else gets their clues in English, yours is in the local language.

FFantasyFX 1028 desperate attention whore postings

05-11-05, 12:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FFantasyFX Click to send private message to FFantasyFX Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: What other penalty can be imposed so that racers don't have to beg?"
Heh . . . some cool ideas, mikey. I once suggested to a friend of mine that those who come in last in the nonelimination leg should be handcuffed together for the next leg - perhaps a bit extreme, but it would be interesting to see.

And they definitely need to get rid of the money penalty. It is simply a timewaster, and a rather unseemly one at that. Like many others here, it was the one of the few parts of last night's episode that I extremely disliked. I felt really bad for Joyce/Uchenna.

bostonrobfan 490 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

05-11-05, 04:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bostonrobfan Click to send private message to bostonrobfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: What other penalty can be imposed so that racers don't have to beg?"
Those are great ideas, Mikey! I HATE the begging! It is so hard to watch. And not really interesting.

Earl Colby Pottinger 2597 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

05-15-05, 07:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to send private message to Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
37. "RE: What other penalty can be imposed so that racers don't have to beg?"
Remember the sponser, not bowling balls - Gnomes!

The product placement would make it a hit with the show's advertisers. I would suggest making the gnome out of sometime delicate like thin paper mackie(sp?) force them to take care in the handling. Failure to bring it in whole starts a time clock that must pass before they can step onto the mat.

05-11-05, 12:49 PM (EST)
9. "RE: What other penalty can be imposed so that racers don't have to beg?"
LAST EDITED ON 05-11-05 AT 12:51 PM (EST)

Posters,
All your ideas of an extra task could be really a fun thing! Instead of a "How Low Can You Go" like last night's Limbo, it could be a "How High Can You Go" and how much money the team gets would be determined by how well they do on the challenge- up to a maximum of what the other teams are getting for that leg. It would especially be fun for the family teams of four, because each member would have to do the task and the result could be cumulative. In fact, CBS could make it a contest where the viewers send in their ideas and the best two or three are put in an envelope and the team draws one of them. It would be publicity for CBS, the winning viewer could win something on Travelocity (more PR for them) and best of all, there would be no begging. I'm so glad that other posters are as uncomfortable with this as I am.

KMan 141 desperate attention whore postings

05-11-05, 02:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KMan Click to send private message to KMan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: What other penalty can be imposed so that racers don't have to beg?"
Great idea RealityMom. Make them earn the cash during the rest stop. Someone should tell CBS.

gengin 22 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

05-11-05, 04:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail gengin Click to send private message to gengin Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: What other penalty can be imposed so that racers don't have to beg?"
-How about the racers have to make and sale some sort of product to earn money for the next leg. The team will have a set amount of time to earn money at the end of the time they will be allowed to get going.

- Racers will be responcable for the upkeep of the pit stop, when other teams have left they in effect will have to work of there stay (housekeeping of sort) then be given money to proceede or a portion of the money.

- If they have a yeild they will be forced to use it on themselves, or surender to Phil.

- If they have any prizes they could have to surrender them

- Have racers work on a task while all other teams are resting ( this will challange there phisical and mental ablity)

- Last but not least have the last team in a non-elem leg be forced to watch and listen on a BIG SCREEN TV WITH SURROND SOUND ROB AND AMBERS WEDDDING. OVER AND OVER FOR HOW EVER MANY TIMES THEY WERE MIN BEHIND THE LAST TEAM. Example they arrrived 30 min after the team ahead of them, then they would have to watch Rombers wedding 30 times.

LibraRising 2847 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

05-11-05, 03:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LibraRising Click to send private message to LibraRising Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: What other penalty can be imposed so that racers don't have to beg?"
Always listen to Mom.

I haven't read all the suggestions, so my apologies if this a repeat. Maybe the losing team could lose their choice in the next detour? The first team that arrives could pick which detour the team that lost the NEL has to do (so, if it was Meredith/Gretchen, you'd make them do the rough physical task). Maybe also they lose their roadblock choice, and the first team gets to pick which of their racers has to do the roadbloack?

Another alternative would be make them do both detour tasks, but that would all but guarantee their elimination.

A kyngsladye/IceCat masterpiece.

fairyprincess 262 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

05-11-05, 03:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail fairyprincess Click to send private message to fairyprincess Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: What other penalty can be imposed so that racers don't have to beg?"
Wow, I really like some of these ideas. Especially the one about giving the team something really heavy or akward to carry throught the next leg. I also like the idea of the team having to earn the cash during the pit-stop by having some type of job to do. They wouldn't be able to start right away, maybe 1/2 way into the pit-stop and then they would have to earn at least as much as the other teams are given at the start of the leg. The "job" would have something to do with the pit stop. Of course for this to work, Phil would still have to strip them of their existing money and the money earned by "working" would be all that they would have at the start of the next leg. And if they didn't earn it by the time they would have normally left for the next leg, then that of course would be a "time penalty" as well.

Anything would be better than this begging and getting the money from the other teams. That is lame and unneccesary. It was actually PAINFUL to watch last night.

Jealousy 109 desperate attention whore postings

05-11-05, 05:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Jealousy Click to send private message to Jealousy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: What other penalty can be imposed so that racers don't have to beg?"
I think that's an interesting idea!

The only problem I see with it is that if, by chance, the non-elimination team gets to the clue box with the detour before the others -- perhaps they reached the pitstop not that long after everyone else and on their way to the next clues, they have a better cabbie or found a shortcut etc -- then they wouldn't be penalized. But maybe that's a reward for them either way, that they beat out all the other teams that left before them.

Also, there'll be some soft teams that might not give a team like M/G the harder task. They wouldn't want the older couple to hurt themselves.

snoopy 7 desperate attention whore postings

05-11-05, 03:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail snoopy Click to send private message to snoopy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: What other penalty can be imposed so that racers don't have to beg?"
What about a real penalty like a 24 hour freeze. This would certainly punish the team for coming in last (although producers would probobly find another way to bunch them up.

snoopy 7 desperate attention whore postings

05-11-05, 03:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail snoopy Click to send private message to snoopy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: What other penalty can be imposed so that racers don't have to beg?"
Also can you imagine if Rob/Amber had to beg for money and someone recognized them from survivor. How distasteful would it be for millionares to beg money from poor people in places like India.

Urban_Kitten 170 desperate attention whore postings

05-11-05, 03:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Urban_Kitten Click to send private message to Urban_Kitten Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: What other penalty can be imposed so that racers don't have to beg?"
I think a realtime freeze of 24 hours is too punitive - someone could effectively lose the race because of it. I love Librarising's suggestion of having the other competitors choose the roadblock or detour.

Neutiquam erro (I am not lost).

Ratboy 79 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

05-11-05, 04:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ratboy Click to send private message to Ratboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: What other penalty can be imposed so that racers don't have to beg?"
I thought that one thing that could happen was to give the last-place team a choice of begging, or of earning their cash. But instead of it being during the pit stop, where they would not lose any time, it would have to be right at the start of the leg.

For instance, take the onion cutting as an example. Let's say Team Strummer came in last on the leg and had all of their money taken away. Twelve hours later, when Team Jones and Team Simonon leave the pit stop, they are each given $430. Once Team Strummer leaves, they are informed of how much money the other teams got. But right away, they could compete in a challenge to earn money, which is close to the pit stop so they don't have to go far. Here, they have to cut onions. And let's say they get five bucks for every onion they chop to the chef's satisfaction. This way, they would know how many onions they would have to chop in order to get back to a level playing field. And it doesn't have to be chopping onions or something easy like that. It could be like the golf challenge from last night too.

Teams would have to consider doing the challenge in the first place and possibly using up valuable time but getting money, or leaving the pit stop right away to maintain the distance and hope to beg money from others, with no guarantee that they would get it. At the very least, I think it would cut down on other team's giving out hand-outs to the last-place team.

Cathy the Canadian 599 desperate attention whore postings

05-11-05, 06:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cathy%20the%20Canadian Click to send private message to Cathy%20the%20Canadian Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: What other penalty can be imposed so that racers don't have to beg?"
I think this is an excellent idea. They could set them up with a lemonade stand, or something comparable for the country they are in, and tell them to sell as long as they want until they feel they have enough money to continue.

Or, make them sell until they have at least as much as the other teams got for that leg.

That way, they are still wasting time trying to get money, but they aren't totally demeaning themselves, and taking advantage of people's kindness for nothing but their own personal gain.

pmspml5 3263 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

05-13-05, 03:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail pmspml5 Click to send private message to pmspml5 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "RE: What other penalty can be imposed so that racers don't have to beg?"
If you didnt noticed - they can not beg for money during the pit stop this year. "You must START the next leg with $0" This was implemented to keep teams from begging during their mandatory rest period.

IceCat 17415 desperate attention whore postings

05-11-05, 06:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "The begging proves..."
... that whole idea of non-elimination rounds is flawed. If they want to stretch the show out for more episodes then start with more teams. Just make sure that any time a team finishes last in a leg they are sent packing that episode. That way you eliminate the begging and you don't have some team that finished last on a leg winning the million.

Get rid of this lottery for losers and make the Amazing Race worth watching again.

05-11-05, 06:15 PM (EST)
21. "RE: The begging proves..."
IceCat,
Your phrase "lottery for losers" makes me think of the first seasons of Survivor when David Letterman had them on each week. I remember him asking Paul Shaffer why they had the losers as guests. He kept talking with them further and further from his desk. Eventually, they were in that shop he always shows. Except for situations like Patrick and Susan when Patrick kept complaining "Why even bother anymore" and of course, the answer was that you never know when there's a NEL, so finish the leg, I don't see any point to them and haven't enjoyed watching teams that come in last suddenly rise like a phoenix to get another chance. I thought a major element that all these shows that take place in foreign countries prided themselves on, is showing respect for the people and culture of that country. Having Americans beg may literally be taking food out of the mouths of babes. It's really a bad image the producers are presenting.

Max Headroom 10069 desperate attention whore postings

05-13-05, 02:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: The begging proves..."
Well spoken, IceCat, I agree completely!

* loud clapping *

applejack93 288 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

05-15-05, 08:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail applejack93 Click to send private message to applejack93 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
38. "RE: The begging proves..."
Actually, Icey, even if they had gotten rid of the non-elimination rounds we would have the same final three teams for the last three seasons and TAR classic, which says to me that whilst they do lengthen the race out they don't affect their outcome as much as people believe (in the last three seasons anyway).

I agree with you though - I hate the non-elim simply for the fact that the story doesn't seem to progress. They should put in more teams and get rid of them (although I don't think that the current situation is all that bad as it gives teams a chance to redeem themselves).

Just for interests sake if all TAR's were sans non-elim we would have the following F3 teams:

TAR classic remains the same.

TAR 2 - Tara/Wil
- Oswald/Danny
- Gary/Dave

TAR 3 - Teri/Ian
- Ken Gerard
- Derek/Drew

TAR 4 - Reichen/Chip winners
- David/Jeff
- Jon/Al

TAR 5, 6 & 7 stay the same.

So, even without the non-elims we would only have seen a vastly different ending in TAR 2 (where 2/3 of the F3 would have been out earlier), as all the others were either the same or only had one team switched.

Jenna_F 310 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

05-11-05, 08:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Jenna_F Click to send private message to Jenna_F Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: What other penalty can be imposed so that racers don't have to beg?"
Eliminate the team.
*shrugs*

Last night, when they were racing towards the non elimination leg, during a commercial I turned to my friend and said: "Any team that survives a non elimination leg does not deserve to win, whatever team comes last this leg, is not a winner in my mind."
And as it happened, the "winners" of TAR7 came in last on that leg.

It doesn't seem fair to me, that a team that survives a nonelimination leg can win the money, regardless of how much begging and humiliation they go through, they plain don't deserve to win.
It's random blind luck. Change the position of one non-elimination leg and Brian and Greg might of won the whole race. You never know, but here you'll have people go off now saying that U/J are deserving of the win, but just change one non-elimination leg, and they got third place instead, But you'll hardly ever here someone say "oh yah, Lynn and Alex, they deserved to win, shame it was an elimination leg", why won't someone say this? because it happened to be an elimination leg that time.

maggiebob 189 desperate attention whore postings

05-11-05, 11:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail maggiebob Click to send private message to maggiebob Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: What other penalty can be imposed so that racers don't have to beg?"
I agree - I don't like the begging thing either. But I was really sad at how difficult it was for Uchenna and Joyce to get money, and I wonder if it had something to do with racism. Would Rob and Amber have had that much trouble? Some of the people they approached sounded British, and I guess I'm not surprised that a British person refused to help a black couple in what was a former British colony. My feelings about it were reinforced when I heard what Uchenna and Joyce said about it themselves - that people looked at them like they were lepers. I don't think the other teams had as much difficulty with the task as U&J (of course, starting out at 3 am in the middle of nowhere probably did not help).

RealityAmy 2 desperate attention whore postings

05-11-05, 11:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RealityAmy Click to send private message to RealityAmy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: What other penalty can be imposed so that racers don't have to beg?"
I agree.

I hate non-elimination legs, I hate the idea that the only team who never finished last didn't win... but that's the rules I guess. (Don't get me wrong, I love Uchenna and Joyce)

I also agree with the begging issue. If we have to have non-elimination rounds, I think teams should have to do some kind of "charitable" service for the community in order to earn their money for the leg. For instance, for the leg where they ground the corn, if that was a non-elimination round they would then have to go collect the corn and take it to an orphanage to earn their money.

calicokat 3 desperate attention whore postings

05-12-05, 00:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail calicokat Click to send private message to calicokat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "here's a thought . . ."
here's a thought, what if the last team was assessed a time penalty, say 2 or 3 hours. But then given the option to "buy" the penalty down, say $5 a minute - - teams would have to weigh the options of already being in last place and determine how much of their saved up money they were willing to risk to offset being further behind. Decision would have to be made when they arrived on the mat. Sort of a "which is worse" question, starting behind or starting poor? And then just make an overall "no begging by any time at any time" rule - how much money they can conserve from leg to leg could begin to be important.

Cathy the Canadian 599 desperate attention whore postings

05-12-05, 09:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cathy%20the%20Canadian Click to send private message to Cathy%20the%20Canadian Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: What other penalty can be imposed so that racers don't have to beg?"
I don't think it was racism, I just think it was obvious they weren't being completely forthcoming when they said "we lost our luggage". Uchenna/Joyce aren't good liars. And I'm sure the cameramen were quite visible. The people could tell something was up, and didn't want to be taken for a sucker.

If they had just said, "We're in a race for a million bucks, the only way we can stay in is if we can get cab fair..."

RBA 129 desperate attention whore postings

05-12-05, 09:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RBA Click to send private message to RBA Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: What other penalty can be imposed so that racers don't have to beg?"
Agree. They weren't convincing as liars. That's why Rob is so good.

Are people forgeting during the beginning episodes Uchenna was begging for money and doing backflips at an airport? He was just trying to get extra money for an emergency stash. So the people who said begging made U/J uncomfortable are not thinking objectively.

The only good acting was when Joyce started her fake crying routine and the suckers started giving cash to them.

mikey 1150 desperate attention whore postings

05-12-05, 04:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mikey Click to send private message to mikey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: What other penalty can be imposed so that racers don't have to beg?"
Here's an interesting stat -- here are the respective finishes on the penultimate leg of the TAR winners: the majority have actually finished third on that leg.

TAR 1 -- 1st place
TAR 2 -- 3rd place
TAR 3 -- 3rd place
TAR 4 -- 2nd place
TAR 5 -- 3rd place (of 4 - was elimination)
TAR 6 -- 2nd place (of 4 -- was elimination)
TAR 7 -- 3rd place

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

05-13-05, 03:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: What other penalty can be imposed so that racers don't have to beg?"
Interesting stat, indeed!

It makes you wonder whether a team should intentionally start out the final legs from the back of the pack! It's a common tactic often used by long-distance runners.

"Go ahead, we want to finish last in this non-elim leg, thank you."

RBA 129 desperate attention whore postings

05-12-05, 10:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RBA Click to send private message to RBA Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: What other penalty can be imposed so that racers don't have to beg?"
How about "Hook or Crook"?

They either turn tricks or they steal the money.

Just joking of course.

05-15-05, 02:42 AM (EST)
35. "RE: What other penalty can be imposed so that racers don't have to beg?"
I'm bumping this back up because a new thread that began by discussing the legality of begging is now focusing on how uncomfortable viewers are with begging altogether and questioning whether there should even be NELs. I think that the posters here have some great ideas for alternative penalties if NELs continue and also discuss some very legitimate reasons to drop them completely.

Deekeryu 136 desperate attention whore postings

05-15-05, 03:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Deekeryu Click to send private message to Deekeryu Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
36. "RE: What other penalty can be imposed so that racers don't have to beg?"
I don't belive doing an extra task is such a good idea. It may actually take longer than begging for money. The point is for the race to be kept as close as possible. You never saw the other people like Meredith and Gretchen, or Ron and Kelly struggle with begging or even last season with Hayden and Aaron, and Rebecca and Adam begging.

Uchenna and Joyce are just not good at begging. Their approach is wrong. They are unconvincing. They are nervous when they ask for money. Who's going to give money when you sound nervous? You sound sketchy that way. You have to have the right approach and the right tone and attitude in your voice. If one approach doesn't work, try another. Racism isn't an issue here I don't believe. They are in Jamaica where there are lots of black people. Just because some white people didn't give them money doesn't mean they are seemingly not giving money because of U&J's race. U&J don't even sound like they are from Jamaica. So it's not like U&J are some locals trying to scrounge up some money. They sound American, and weren't dressed in a shabby shape.

coolbluepig 819 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

05-15-05, 08:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail coolbluepig Click to send private message to coolbluepig Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
39. "RE: What other penalty can be imposed so that racers don't have to beg?"
i dont know if someone has suggested this but i think they should just make the pit stop stay longer lyk from 12 hrs to 13 hrs. i know this will give teams more rest but it will be also a disadvantage like getting flights... or they could give them money for the next leg but lesser than the other teams...

Th3 c0ol bLue P!g 1s 0utT@ h3Re!!!!!!!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •