The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Technical Question"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

BlueLies 398 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

05-10-06, 12:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail BlueLies Click to send private message to BlueLies Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Technical Question"
A good friend of mine is obsessed with his girlfriend. So much so, that he says reads her e-mail to make sure she's not cheating on him.

He said he didn't even have to hack into her computer, and that he could simply broadcast her monitor like a television set. I think he's just telling me a "story."

Has anyone ever heard of something like that being possible?

http://news.yahoo.com/comics/

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Technical Question Estee 05-10-06 1
   RE: Technical Question BlueLies 05-10-06 19
       RE: Technical Question EMTBGRL 05-10-06 20
       RE: Technical Question cahaya 05-11-06 21
 RE: Technical Question Ahtumbreez 05-10-06 2
 RE: Technical Question PagongRatEater 05-10-06 3
 RE: Technical Question aquariaqueen 05-10-06 4
 RE: Technical Question geg6 05-10-06 5
   RE: Technical Question buckeyegirl 05-10-06 6
       RE: Technical Question nailbone 05-10-06 15
 RE: Technical Question cahaya 05-10-06 7
   RE: Technical Question Estee 05-10-06 11
 RE: Technical Question mtopaz 05-10-06 8
 RE: Technical Question Bobdechemist 05-10-06 9
   RE: Technical Question PagongRatEater 05-10-06 10
   RE: Technical Question CouchTater 05-10-06 13
 RE: Technical Question mysticwolf 05-10-06 12
 RE: Technical Question greenmonstah 05-10-06 14
   RE: Technical Question nailbone 05-10-06 16
       RE: Technical Question greenmonstah 05-10-06 17
           RE: Technical Question EMTBGRL 05-10-06 18

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-10-06, 12:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Technical Question"
I've seen it done in spy novels, and it can be done in RL. The last time I saw it, it was called 'tempest' tech. Basically, you could set things up so that whatever was appearing on one monitor could appear on another one, fairly nearby. The RL version is probably a lot more potent -- and probably also restricted to the real tech players, from the CIA on out. But you can only read whatever the computer user is reading at the time. It's possible to tempest-shield your stuff, but I think it's expensive.

On the other hand, I think the stuff they use to do the reading is really expensive, so unless this guy's a wonder with electronics...

And by the way? If it was being done to me, I'd end the relationship on the spot, followed by a drag into the nearest courthouse.

BlueLies 398 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

05-10-06, 07:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail BlueLies Click to send private message to BlueLies Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Technical Question"
LAST EDITED ON 05-10-06 AT 09:03 PM (EST)

"I've seen it done in spy novels, and it can be done in RL. The last time I saw it, it was called 'tempest' tech....And by the way? If it was being done to me, I'd end the relationship
on the spot, followed by a drag into the nearest courthouse."

I asked him today, and he said I misunderstood and that he was only "thinking" about it. I guess I shouldn't say "good friend." I used the term "friend" loosely (in this case), he's helped me at the office a couple of times with some technical stuff, seemed like an okay guy for the most part, but he tends to be a bit inappropriately gabby.

The girl he is with is no treat. In fact, she's a toxic witch and treats him like sh*t. No excuse for eavesdropping on her computer, but I think he's finally over her. I've only seen her in passing a couple of times.

He's young and immature, he probably just wanted some attention... I dunno. I just wanted to know if there was such a thing avail to everyday people. I really don't think he has the money to actually go through with it.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the replies.

I'd hate to see what corporate spies could do with this type of technology.

http://news.yahoo.com/comics/

EMTBGRL 2514 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

05-10-06, 10:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail EMTBGRL Click to send private message to EMTBGRL Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Technical Question"
The girl he is with is
>no treat. In fact,
>she's a toxic witch and
>treats him like sh*t.

Good reason to dump her. Makes me wonder why people choose the partners they do--- once again.

>No excuse for eavesdropping on
>her computer,

Yeah. More reason for him to not care what's on her computer.

>He's young and immature, he probably
>just wanted some attention...

I don't know why, but it never occurred to me that he was young..makes more sense now.

I dunno. I just wanted
>to know if there was
>such a thing avail to
>everyday people.

No idea.

I really
>don't think he has the
>money to actually go through
>with it.

If it does exist, it probably is a lot.
>
>Anyway, thanks everyone for the replies.
>
No prob!
>
>I'd hate to see what corporate
>spies could do with this
>type of technology.
>
>Yeah. USA PATRIOT Act scary.

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

05-11-06, 01:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Technical Question"
I'd hate to see what corporate spies could do with this type of technology.

And government spies, too, both on foreign and domestic subjects, as well as on sensitive computer sites. Government and coporate espionage has a long history that continues to this day. And, of course, you've got those hackers who delight in "getting in" and having a little fun.

It's real.

An Arkie Asian creation, with Foo dog images by Bob.

If you've got a good firewall enabled and ever checked out the details to the logs, you'll probably see random port scans and ping checks coming from not-so-obscure places like China, Israel, Russia, Korea, Malaysia, and (oh yeah) the U.S.

Ahtumbreez 10456 desperate attention whore postings

05-10-06, 12:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ahtumbreez Click to send private message to Ahtumbreez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Technical Question"
I think you question should be:
Should I have my friend committed?
Answer: YES!
TummyBreez

a beautiful kyngsladye original

PagongRatEater 12996 desperate attention whore postings

05-10-06, 12:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Technical Question"
Well, he is networked with her computer or if it is on an unprotected wireless network, he could definitely see what is going on with her computer on his screen. No particular hacking skills required, but I have seen techs in my industry walk into a hotel lobby and 'look' at what everyone using that open network is using on their computers

Also, if he has her computer directly hooked up to another monitor or screen, he could simply watch real time.

Definitely a possibility. Also, very, VERY creepy.

But, the four of us had a great time.

aquariaqueen 2616 desperate attention whore postings

05-10-06, 12:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail aquariaqueen Click to send private message to aquariaqueen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Technical Question"
>A good friend of mine is
>obsessed with his girlfriend.
>So much so, that he
>says reads her e-mail to
>make sure she's not cheating
>on him.

"Girl"friend""? Is that how one treats a friend? At least you said obsessed and not in love with...that's more accurate.

Also, I think you need to reconsider how close of a friend this person is to you. He admits to shady behavior that borders on criminal.

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

05-10-06, 01:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Technical Question"
I'm pretty sure that if she uses a wireless network that it's fairly easy to read other screens. I'm no techie, but I think that's correct from what I've read about wireless technology.

FWIW, this behavior totally creeps me out. Your friend, IMHO, has some serious problems. And I have to say that I am worried about the girlfriend. This type of behavior is borderline dangerous. In fact, I will correct that to say it is a red flag of danger of which she should be made aware.

Goddess of the Steeler Nation

buckeyegirl 5449 desperate attention whore postings

05-10-06, 01:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail buckeyegirl Click to send private message to buckeyegirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Technical Question"
What Geg said....although I have a friend whose husband left his email passwords lying about, she found them, checked his email and found that he was cheating on her....but it is fairly easy to hack into a wireless system if she doesn't have it protected.

Handcrafted by RollDdice!

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

05-10-06, 04:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Technical Question"
I too have a friend who's divorced now because his wife found out about his cheating through emails.

Sig by Slice

Holey carp! My blog! MySpace!
Official OT Tassel Adjuster o-

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

05-10-06, 01:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Technical Question"
Yes, there's software that allows one-way or two-way watching/sharing of what the other is doing, even if they are widely separated as long as they're both on the Net. I did this with an IRC op and bot writer friend of mine in Australia, so we could move around in IRC and on the Web in checking out bot code together. You can find the software in tucows and other sites. But this is something we agreed to do together...

... and I'd be concerned about someone spying on someone else without their knowledge through the wireless network or through downloaded software.

Sounds like a major insecurity issue that is going to have to be resolved one way or another.

An Arkie Asian creation, with Foo dog images by Bob.

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

05-10-06, 02:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Technical Question"
I think that spy novel was way out of date.

(Looks up title. Uses title to get copyright date.)

Yep. Way out of date.

mtopaz 2167 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

05-10-06, 01:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mtopaz Click to send private message to mtopaz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Technical Question"
Sounds like the technical aspect of your post got answered. Next time you talk to your friend though, you might want to tell him that 99 out of 100 women don't like creepy stuff like that, and if his girlfriend finds out (which she is bound to do), it's likely going to be a deal breaker. Seriously, if this happened to me I would run, not walk, for the nearest exit. Your friend sounds like a huge walking red flag.

Sig pic by JSlice

Bobdechemist 3932 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

05-10-06, 01:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bobdechemist Click to send private message to Bobdechemist Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Technical Question"
1) She should dump him and RUN SCREAMING from this relationship.

2) Um, I'm suddenly concerned about the security of my wireless network. Any techies have any hints?

I mean it, RUN!

PagongRatEater 12996 desperate attention whore postings

05-10-06, 02:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Technical Question"
Make sure that you have a firewall or anti-snooping software on your lap and then make sure that you have some kind of authentication on your router. The way I have my router at home set up is that it will only accept the MAC address for the computers in the house, so no other outside computer could access my network even if they did get past the firewall.

But, the four of us had a great time.

CouchTater 1046 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

05-10-06, 02:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CouchTater Click to send private message to CouchTater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Technical Question"
I'm no techie, but I've gone to this site to test my computer to see where the holes and breaches might be to my security.

http://grc.com/default.htm

Scroll down and click on "shields Up" and follow the instructions.

Basically what they do is try and hack into your computer for you.

It's free and you don't have to buy their software.

I've done it several times on both the wireless systems that I work on and it showed that I was well protected behind a series of firewalls that have been set up. The test will tell you what they found.

mysticwolf 10692 desperate attention whore postings

05-10-06, 02:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mysticwolf Click to send private message to mysticwolf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Technical Question"
As a techie I will agree with the others who say it can be done. They're right - it can be, in a variety of ways.

More importantly, though, as a female IT Management techie, I want to stress the other things you are being told. What your friend is doing is not only seriously creepy, it's not borderline illegal, it's totally illegal, if he's doing this as a private individual without her knowledge and consent.

If I were she, I'd not only be ending the relationship, I'd be getting myself a restraining order, filing a complaint with the police department, and suing his azz. He could seriously find himself in jail for this - on a federal level, I do believe. And, if I were in your place, I'd be finding myself a new friend.

An Arkie curious cub blogging's scary

greenmonstah 10761 desperate attention whore postings

05-10-06, 04:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail greenmonstah Click to send private message to greenmonstah Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Technical Question"
My TV set broadcasts me, actually. In fact, *looks at watch* I am late for bison burgers with Texas Walker Ranger. My toaster oven tells me I am halucinating. But still.

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

05-10-06, 04:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Technical Question"
Chuck Norris could take care of that toaster, ya know.

Sig by Slice

Holey carp! My blog! MySpace!
Official OT Tassel Adjuster o-

greenmonstah 10761 desperate attention whore postings

05-10-06, 04:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail greenmonstah Click to send private message to greenmonstah Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Technical Question"
Mmmmmmm....toasty warm cupcake!

EMTBGRL 2514 desperate attention whore postings

05-10-06, 06:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail EMTBGRL Click to send private message to EMTBGRL Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Technical Question"
I think another important question: "Is your friend familiar with the term, "Stalker" ?? Next question, If he would do that, what ELSE would he do? Stand in a tree and take pictures through her window "Just in case someone else is in there?"

He sounds unbalanced.

There is no indication from your post that this woman is doing anything to implicate an affair. If he's so worried about it, why doesn't he simply end the relationship? I think the honest answer for your friend's behavior? "Paranoia" oh, and "controlling"

I think for your friend to go through such lengths? (if this is, in fact, possible) It's not "she cheats" it's "every woman cheats, it's just up to me to catch them."

More red flags should be waving than at a Colorado rodeo!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •