The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The "Belly" connection and spoiler(?) from it..."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

SurvivinDawg 6816 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-25-02, 06:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivinDawg Click to send private message to SurvivinDawg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The "Belly" connection and spoiler(?) from it..."
I would like to hear y'all's opinions on a certain issue that I have been thinking about for a while.

I have seen posted here that Gabe worked for or with Mike Boogie (from Big Brother 2) in the bar "Belly." Gabe's bio tries to make one think he's still in his hometown of Celo, NC, but we know that he's out in California now.

Sean and Gabe supposedly already know each other from meeting at "Belly."

Clarence was supposed to be on Big Brother 2, but then got the Survivor III gig.

As an aside, Kent from BB2 said (to the dismay of Julie Chen) that 9 of the 12 contestants on that program had agents.

Jerri was rumored to have been asked to try out for Survivor II, which of course she made.

Rumors/spoilers also suggest that Hunter was asked to apply for the show and (of course) made it to the "sweet sixteen."

Sarah's "qualifications" for being on the show bring into question if she was invited to appear.

My point and possible spoiler connection is this: Sean has played the "angry black man" to the hilt so much that I have wondered if it is more act for the camera than real emotion. As so many people have pointed out, it is unbelieveable for him to act the way he did after the switch. Sean's racial attitudes have been a strong focus of the series to this point, so much so that I feel like MB is shoveling it to us like coal in a steam locomotive.

Now I am NOT saying that MB is fixing the game for his agent-placed contestants (see: Hunter, also see: Stacy Stilman), but I am wondering if MB placed some people, such as Sarah and Sean, for certain purposes... Sarah for her fluffypillows, and Sean for his "attitude." And if this is the case, can we draw any conclusions as to what might happen.

*** Contradictions don't exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The "Belly" connection and spoi... PepeLePew13 03-25-02 1
 RE: The "Belly" connection and spoi... cowboyroo 03-25-02 2
   RE: The "Belly" connection and spoi... Bebo 03-25-02 3
 RE: The "Belly" connection and spoi... dabo 03-25-02 4
 RE: The "Belly" connection and spoi... MeToo 03-25-02 5
   RE: The "Belly" connection and spoi... SurvivinDawg 03-25-02 6
       RE: The "Belly" connection and spoi... sonrod 03-25-02 12
   RE: The "Belly" connection and spoi... George Tirebiter 03-25-02 7
       RE: The "Belly" connection and spoi... MeToo 03-25-02 8
       RE: The "Belly" connection and spoi... drich61 03-25-02 9
           RE: The "Belly" connection and spoi... Loree 03-25-02 10
               The word from SurvivorNews: George Tirebiter 03-25-02 11
                   RE: The word from SurvivorNews: RDIheath 03-26-02 13
                       RE: The word from SurvivorNews: SurvivinDawg 03-26-02 15
                           RE: The word from SurvivorNews: Loree 03-27-02 23
                   RE: The word from SurvivorNews: Frau Hexe 03-26-02 16
                       RE: The word from SurvivorNews: SurvivinDawg 03-26-02 18
                           RE: The word from SurvivorNews: Frau Hexe 03-26-02 20
                       RE: The word from SurvivorNews: George Tirebiter 03-26-02 19
                           RE: The word from SurvivorNews: Frau Hexe 03-26-02 21
                               RE: The word from SurvivorNews: Loree 03-27-02 24
       RE: The "Belly" connection and spoi... whodat 03-26-02 17
           RE: The "Belly" connection and spoi... smiles 03-27-02 25
       RE: The "Belly" connection and spoi... Loree 03-27-02 26
 Do we know. . . George Tirebiter 03-26-02 14
 RE: The "Belly" connection and spoi... Serendipity 03-26-02 22
   RE: The "Belly" connection and spoi... ItzLisa 03-28-02 35
       RE: The "Belly" connection and spoi... Bebo 03-28-02 36
       Agreed dabo 03-28-02 37
 More pieces of the Belly puzzle... heresy 03-27-02 27
   You people are nuts, no way Gabe go... Wacko Jacko 03-28-02 31
       RE: You people are nuts, no way Gab... MeToo 03-28-02 32
       RE: no way Gabe goes dabo 03-28-02 33
           RE: no way Gabe goes MeToo 03-28-02 34
               RE: no way Gabe goes Blueville 03-28-02 38
                   RE: no way Gabe goes MeToo 03-28-02 39
                       RE: no way Gabe goes SurvivinDawg 03-28-02 40
                       RE: no way Gabe goes Blueville 03-28-02 41
                           RE: no way Gabe goes Wacko Jacko 03-28-02 43
                   RE: no way Gabe goes Wacko Jacko 03-28-02 42
                       RE: no way Gabe goes dabo 03-28-02 44
 RE: The "Belly" connection and spoi... samboohoo 03-28-02 28
   RE: The "Belly" connection and spoi... jkokoj 03-28-02 29
   RE: The "Belly" connection and spoi... dabo 03-28-02 30

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings

03-25-02, 07:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: The "Belly" connection and spoiler(?) from it..."
The only question I have is whether's Sean's story is now completely played out or not. Sarah's story was done as soon as the switch happened because she no longer had a role to play as Robfather's support vote. Sean's toast if and when Rotu ever goes to TC.

That IS interesting, Dawg, I didn't realize there was such a connection with so many people being asked to try out for the show or having the connections to get on.

cowboyroo 590 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

03-25-02, 09:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cowboyroo Click to send private message to cowboyroo Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: The "Belly" connection and spoiler(?) from it..."
My thinking is too possibly convince these people to apply for the purpose of making the show more interestin in case there are no dynamics like on the first Brother. The Jerris, Seans of the world can make for a big drama on the show, yet not have a chance of winning; thus avoiding the "fixed" scenario, but it does kinda bite when there are 60,000 plus applicants trying to get on the show, (including myself), and finding out that some of the FEW "16" are pre-selected.

However, it may just be coincidence that Sean visited the bar where Gabe, Mike work.

The part I did, however always find fishy with the show was how many of the castaways have agents. The people I know who have applied for the show aren't in it for the TV exposure, they're in it for the adventure. But, then of course, none of us have ever been contacted...

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

03-25-02, 09:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: The "Belly" connection and spoiler(?) from it..."
LAST EDITED ON 03-25-02 AT 09:51 AM (EST)

>The part I did, however always
>find fishy with the show
>was how many of the
>castaways have agents. The people
>I know who have applied
>for the show aren't in
>it for the TV exposure,
>they're in it for the
>adventure.

There was a long article in yesterday's Raleigh News & Observer about Gabe's connections to Celo, NC. His family specifically states that Gabe cares less about winning a million dollars in the game and more about trying to launch his acting career.

edited to add link to article and specific quote:
http://www.newsobserver.com/sunday/features/day/Story/1107138p-1105423c.html

"And in true Celo fashion, Gabriel has a goal unrelated to that of the show. He could care not less about the $1 million, said his parents, but figures if he stays on the show long enough --which may be relatively easy if the other cast members figure out he's not playing to win -- it will boost his chances of starting an acting career. Plus, it's a grand adventure."

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

03-25-02, 10:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: The "Belly" connection and spoiler(?) from it..."
In my opinion, one of the major problems with Survivor has been MB's casting protocols. While he has done reasonably well presenting a microcosm of the U.S. with his Sweet Sixteens, there not only does not seem to have been any focus on finding good players for the game (many game shows test candidates in order to select those with aptitude for their games), in some respects it does seem as if the opposite is the case.

A good portion of what Survivor is about is the spectacle it presents, which makes for entertaining TV, though that has little to do with the game itself. It does appear to be detracting from the game at this point, though.

In answer: Yes, I do believe Sean and Sarah were cast simply in order to bring their elements to the spectacle. I would expect that Neleh was also cast simply for her "sweetheart" value. So far we've only seen three players (of those who remain) seriously approaching the game as a game, Rob, Kathy and John (though several have been hidden by editing up to this point). Vee seems to be playing smart as well, but she's been as hard to get a handle on as most of Rotu, and has exhibited an ability to produce the timely, deadly dig, which could place her in the spectacle casting range as well.

MeToo 158 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-25-02, 10:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail MeToo Click to send private message to MeToo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: The "Belly" connection and spoiler(?) from it..."
So was Sean instructed to act like a lazy, worthless, racist pig by the producers? What about some of the other roles being played? Although Sean has no chance of winning the game, if he's been "directed" to play a certain role, it still smells like "fixing" to me. If that's the case, then it changes everything.

For one thing, it's no longer a game. It's like WWF - everything is scripted and played out. Sure, people can still get hurt, stung by sea urchins, burnt and there's still a lot of action in the challenges. But it's fake. It's bad enough when MB can step in and switch up the teams in the middle of the "game", but to direct the players in such a way? So much for reality television.

So before I get sent to bashers for this post, is there any real evidence for or against this scenario? Just because somebody walks into a bar doesn't mean he knows all the staff! And just because somebody uses an agent to help them get onto a game show, doesn't mean they have been "cast". Isn't it a bit like hiring an accountant to maximize your income tax returns? In other words, are these rumors and speculations simply fodder for tabloids or is there anything to them?

Stopping now before I change my viewpoint any further.

MeToo

03-25-02, 11:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivinDawg Click to send private message to SurvivinDawg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: The "Belly" connection and spoiler(?) from it..."
LAST EDITED ON 03-25-02 AT 12:01 PM (EST)

So was Sean instructed to act like a lazy, worthless, racist pig by the producers?

My thinking is that it went a little more like this:
MB: Sean, would you like to be on Survivor?
Sean: Yeah, sure, it'll help my career (whatever that is).
MB: Well, if you really let that "angry black man" attitude show, I'm sure you'll be one of the sweet sixteen. I'll even put you on Sarah's tribe."
Sean: Can't beat that. I'm an Alpha male, too!
MB: Just make sure to keep my ratings up with your attitude. I can't guarantee where you'll end up in the game..."

You get the idea.

It's like WWF - everything is scripted and played out.

It certainly is scripted... except for which people get waxed. I sincerely believe that Stacy Stillman was right and they did try to manipulate the game in S-1. Since that time, however, I think MB learned to leave well enough alone as far as the people dynamics go, although he can certainly do things to "help", such as a timely S.O.S. challenge, or run 7 against 5 in a maze, etc.

But my other point in posting all this is this: If Sean and Gabe DO know each other, how does that affect the dynamic? Do the people with agent, have they met while applying for other game shows? Supposedly, Survivor is based on 16 people who don't know each other and have never spoken to each other being thrust together in a survival environment and having to adapt, allthewhile playing the game. If some of these people already know each other, then what effect does it have?

*** Contradictions don't exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

sonrod 25 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

03-25-02, 10:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sonrod Click to send private message to sonrod Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: The "Belly" connection and spoiler(?) from it..."
LAST EDITED ON 03-25-02 AT 10:42 PM (EST)

Something that SurvivinDawg mentioned...contestants not knowing each other, especially members of the other tribe. After only one or two days with his new tribe, Rob was able to assess that John was gay; Tammy was engaged; Zoe perhaps was not feminine enough, possibly gay. Were these merely keen observations by Rob, or did he have a "heads up", or maybe already met them in a before-game social function where MB offers tips on how to make the game more compelling?

George Tirebiter 2982 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

03-25-02, 12:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail George%20Tirebiter Click to send private message to George%20Tirebiter Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: The "Belly" connection and spoiler(?) from it..."
MeToo, the photo is posted at survivorfever. And for those who are too lazy to follow a link, here it is:

Sean Rector Partying at The Belly - Photo Speculation
Info on this page is highly speculative

In this image, Survivor Marquesas contestant Sean Rector (far right) is partying at the Santa Monica lounge "Belly", which is also  where Gabe Cade is employed.  The photo was reportedly taken in May 2001, although this is unconfirmed.   Also present in the image is Mike Matlin, AKA "Mike Boogie", (in white hat) former contestant on Big Brother 2.

Many Survivor enthusiasts are questioning whether Gabe and Sean were acquaintances before they applied for Survivor: Marquesas.  Do Survivor agents 'troll' for contestants to fit the casting type they are looking for to create drama?  Was Sean's 'dressing down' of Gabe in episode 3  just for the camera? Could Sean be 'playing the role' of the 'angry, lazy black man' to fill the type-cast role the agents were seeking? Is there a 'Secret Boogie Alliance'?

Since Gabe isn't IN the photo with Sean, this isn't definitive, but my feeling is that Burn-it's casting methods leave much to be desired. With all the masochists falling all over themselves to prove their mettle on Survivor, I can't believe he would have to stoop to hiring wannabe actors. Yes, they already have a leg up on the Ho' aspect, but it makes for a really uncompelling group of people. . . kinda like those PetMedExpress ads, where everyone (though not horrible to look at on their own) has such exaggerated features and a plastic quality that the cumulative effect turns my stomach. I think MB is so anal about maintaining control over his show that he's scared to death to throw 16 REAL people together. . . and the sad thing is, THAT would make for a better result!

Thanks to Dalton for the heads-up--I refused to watch BB, so didn't have a clue what all the "belly" talk was about.

GT

When women go wrong, men go right after them.-Mae West 

03-25-02, 03:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MeToo Click to send private message to MeToo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: The "Belly" connection and spoiler(?) from it..."
George,

I agree with your take on MB and his "control". It is especially sad that he doesn't have enough faith in the American people that out of 60,000 applicants, he can't find 16 interesting ones without juicing the pot. I also think it would make the show more interesting if they did not spike it. Assuming they have - all that photo shows is Sean present in Gabe's bar. I'm still not convinced they know each other.

Dawg,

Your question on whether or not survivors know each other makes a difference - I don't see how it could NOT make a difference. The trouble is, we don't know the extent of their previous relationship - i.e. are they aquaintances, good friends, lovers, enemies? What if, for example, Sean and Gabe have an alliance which they formed even before the show started. Since they started out on different tribes, they only have to either make the merge, or get switched to the same tribe. Each would potentially have an alliance with the tribe they started in and could be in a position to manipulate that alliance. Gabe could manipulate his Rotu alliance, whoever they are, to vote out Rob and then possibly even one or more of the other Rote - say John. If Sean and Gabe both make the merge with some alliances with their original tribemates, they can play them off each other with the goal of ending up together at the end. Okay, somebody would figure this out before it went that far, but did anybody else witness Sean's rant to Gabe? If not, they may perceive Rob as bad or worse than Sean. Am I going in circles here? Probably. But I guess my point is that if there is a prior relationship of ANY KIND between Gabe and Sean, the dynamics of the whole game are changed.

So I guess my question is, is Survivor a game show or adventure-theatre?

MeToo

drich61 558 desperate attention whore postings

03-25-02, 05:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail drich61 Click to send private message to drich61 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: The "Belly" connection and spoiler(?) from it..."
This picture only shows that Sean and some of his friends went to the bar Mike works at and asked him to have a picture taken with them. Mike is NOT sitting at the table with them he is standing behind. This the same as if I went into Brandon's bar and ask him to have a picture done, or I went into this bar and Gabe was there. Gabe may have been working the day this picture was taken, but he would have been just another guy at the bar at that time.

As for how the show is cast, absolutely positively MB looks for certain types among the 60,000 applicants. They are NOT just picked out of a hat at random (like this last switch). He doesn't care if they have survival skills, he wants a mix of people that will have conflict. It is not about the game, or the most deserving winning, it's ratings period.

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings

03-25-02, 08:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: The "Belly" connection and spoiler(?) from it..."
There are other photos on the web that show just Sean and Boogie together dancing around and acting wacky. It wasn't just a posed photo where the owner stuck his head into a group shot. They are friends.

03-25-02, 09:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail George%20Tirebiter Click to send private message to George%20Tirebiter Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "The word from SurvivorNews:"
In looking for more info on this, I found this report on SurvivorNews (the emphasized parts were my doing):

Star Magazine Source: Gabriel and Sean Were "Buddies"
A Star Magazine source claims that Gabriel Cade and Sean Rector were buddies for "almost a year."
BY SURVIVORNEWS.NET
Sunday, Mar. 24, 2002

The tabloid, citing an unnamed "mutual pal" of Sean and Gabriel in an article claiming that the two "cheated," reports that Sean hung out at the Belly Lounge, owned by Mike "Boogie" Malin from Big Brother 2, for almost a year. Gabriel Cade worked at Belly as a bartender since February of last year. The Star source was quoted saying that the two "get together at each others' houses to watch sports and talk about acting." Both Gabriel and Sean are aspiring actors.

Star quoted their source saying that the Survivor casting director Robyn Kass met both Gabriel and Sean at the bar, "Robyn knew them from Belly... they were all friendly. I think she got them on Survivor even though she knew they were close."

The premise of the Survivor show is based on the 16 Americans being "strangers." Friends or acquaintances could theoretically have a greater (or less) tendency to form alliances, or generally have unfair insight about their opponent that the other contestants are not privy to.
In the previous episode 4 of Survivor: Marquesas, Gabriel and Sean got into an apparent argument, where Sean compared the work expectations to slavery.

Sean: "We not going to overexert ourselves knowing we're coming into a situation where we may get voted off anyway. We not trying to prove nothing. We trying to fit in, have fun while we do it, and whatever game y'all five got going."

Gabriel: "Listen, listen, I want you, I want you, I mean you can think what you're going to think."

Sean: "Hey, but the thing is, we not gonna go around here like slaves to prove anything to anybody. That's why we gonna rest when we wanna rest. Y'all are Clydesdales. Every last one of y'all are getting up every five seconds, 'yeah um, I'm gonna go fifty mile hiking, ok let's cut up some coconut, let's cut this up.' Let's sit our butts down and freaking relax, man! I'm getting tired of this working around. I'm a grown man out here, and I'm gonna be real with you."

Gabriel: "I want you to be real with me."

Sean: "I'm getting tired of this bullshit. We're not tiptoeing around a mother out here, and I'm coming out of my shell and telling you right now, the bottom line, y'all gonna vote us off, vote us off."

Were the two men strangers who had a spontaneous argument? Or buddies who were acting for camera time or playing a trick on the other contestants?

According to Star, Gabriel denies having a friendship with Sean, and CBS publicist Colleen Sullivan insists that the two competitors never met each other prior to the contest.

SurvivorNews.net was the first to report that Sean Rector was a contestant on Survivor: Marquesas.

Of COURSE SeeBS is going to deny this. . . If nothing else, this seems to be fodder for this season's lawsuits. Wonder where Robyn Kass is working now?

GT

RDIheath 59 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

03-26-02, 09:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail RDIheath Click to send private message to RDIheath Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: The word from SurvivorNews:"
Im looking at my copy of the application right now, I applied twice and actually got a call to go to Pitts for interviews for Survivor 2 and then again to go to Chicago for Survivor 3. On the application it states that (cut and pasted direct from app)
>>Applications MUST be written clearly or typed and must be accompanied by a
videotape which meets the following restrictions. Please do not include anything except
the completed application form and the videotape.
LENGTH: MAXIMUM OF THREE MINUTES. Anything over three minutes will not
be considered.
FORMAT: Only VHS. (No mini-DV’s, 8mm or VHS C.) To transfer the other
formats to VHS simply connect your camera to your VCR and record.
CONTENT: Who are you and why you would make the ultimate Survivor. Be
creative!<<
ALSO this is in there and this is the part that if this all pans out to be true BURNS my BUTT. maybe Ill apply one more time (third times a charm) and include a letter from my LAWYER with all of this thread and reports included....ha ha
So now you're probably wondering what kind of person is eligible to be selected for this
once in a lifetime opportunity. Here are the guidelines:
• Employees, officers, directors and agents of CBS Broadcasting Inc., DJB, Inc.,
Survivor Productions, LLC, SEG, Inc., Combat Missions LLC and Eco
Challenge Lifestyles, Inc., and/or of any of their respective licensees, assigns,
parents, affiliated and subsidiary companies and the immediate family (spouse,
mother, father, sister, brother, daughter or son, regardless of where they live) or
members of their same households (whether related or not) of such employees,
officers, directors and agents are not eligible to be contestants on Survivor or
participate in this application process. Previous contestants and their immediate
families are also not eligible to be contestants on Survivor or participate in the
application process.
• Applicants who are selected as contestants cannot be candidates for public office
until after initial broadcast of all programs in which you appear.
Beyond these basic qualifications and any additional qualifications set forth in the
Contestant Application, we are looking for a diverse group of men and women who
represent a broad cross-section of American society. Our competitors will be in
excellent physical health. Building shelter and finding food will be much more taxing
than a trip to your local hardware store or supermarket. Our competitors will also need
to be in excellent mental health so that they will be able to cope with the extreme
change in environment and the tension of the competition.
Contestants will be selected based upon having the following traits:
• Strong-willed
• Outgoing
• Adventurous
• Physically and mentally adept
• Adaptable to new environments
• Interesting lifestyles, backgrounds and personalities

03-26-02, 12:20 PM (EST)
15. "RE: The word from SurvivorNews:"
If MB wants someone to be on the show, he'll fill out their application himself, and videotape them himself. A case in point is Hunter: one reason there was speculation that he was a pre-selection is because of his video.

One of the points I was trying to make about this has been that the agents are getting these people into these shows, and that it is an incestuous little group of shows that seem to be in it together. Clarence was already slated for BB2 and got the Survivor gig, also. Speaking of BB2, Mike Boogie from that show and Sean and Gabe are all connected to "Belly" in some way, either as owner, employee, or guest (is Mike really an OWNER of "Belly" or just an employee, reports differ).

Side note: It's no surprise that aspiring actors would try to be on the show. Colleen, Jerri, Silas and Gabe are just a few examples that come to mind.

03-27-02, 01:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: The word from SurvivorNews:"
Mike is a co-owner of Belly. I have heard that the person that leaked the friendship between Gabe and Sean to the press is the same person that leaked the info about Mike's escapades that came out during BB2. Somebody doesn't seem to like them.

Frau Hexe 716 desperate attention whore postings

03-26-02, 12:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Frau%20Hexe Click to send private message to Frau%20Hexe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: The word from SurvivorNews:"
Although I have no doubt that MB has his own agenda here that may easily interfere with legitimate casting of Survivior contestants, I'm having a little bit of a problem with some of the information coming out around this topic. There seem to be no reliable sources for any of it. While I'm sure there's some truth in many tabloid articles, I have extreme difficulty placing much validity on what they have to say. In no other realm are tabloids considered legitimate valid sources, so why in this case are they? My thinking is that they often offer the only information we can get our hands on.

The Star article aside, does anyone know where this picture originated? Where did the original May 2001 date come from? In all the sites I've seen this on, no one seems to be questioning this, and it seems like a fairly valid concern. Now, don't flame me because you assume I'm defending the evil MB--I'm just following my English instructor instincts here and saying, "People, cite your sources!" I have no doubt that Burn-it is a manipulative creep, willing to do all that he can for ratings, but if we're going to prove it, we need some solid evidence.

We love men. We just don't want to see them naked.~ Two Nice Girls

03-26-02, 02:36 PM (EST)
18. "RE: The word from SurvivorNews:"
For me to go back and try to research every one of these items and provide you with links would be a task I'm not prepared to take time doing. Sorry.

I can tell you that I learned about Clarence while following Big Brother 2 on another board, the Jerri stuff was freely circulating while S-II was on, and Mike's connection to "Belly" was by his own admission on BB2.

But don't totally discount tabloids as being untruthful. Sure they "gussy it up" when they write stuff, but most of their stuff has some basis in truth.

Anyway, it's all part of the fun of speculating/spoiling MB's party.

03-26-02, 06:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Frau%20Hexe Click to send private message to Frau%20Hexe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: The word from SurvivorNews:"
But don't totally discount tabloids as being untruthful. Sure they "gussy it up" when they write stuff, but most of their stuff has some basis in truth.

Actually, you may notice that I said something similar in my own post: "While I'm sure there's some truth in many tabloid articles..."

And really, I didn't intend for you to go back and cite every statement you made. I'm simply trying to make a point here that while this is all good fun to try speculate about who MB might have handpicked from a crowd at a wannabe reality tv star bar, it's still important to many of us to know whether these statements being made by posters both here and on other boards are based in fact or on a rather cyclical rumor mill, that's all.

03-26-02, 02:54 PM (EST)
19. "RE: The word from SurvivorNews:"
Hexe, I would never lambaste you for being anal (especially since you lack that irritating lawyerly tendency to overstate your point!)

I simply tried to tack in the sources of these discussions, so everyone is sure to be talking about the same thing--I didn't mean to imply endorsement one way or another. I DID notice that in pasting in the Star article, it was from the SurvivorNews site, NOT the Star (I make a point of averting my eyes at the checkout counter, and I sureashell am not going to go to the WEBSITE for one of these rags!) It did seem clear that the Star's source was going to remain anonymous--perhaps to protect their Survivor buddy (that nondisclosure thing is a b¡itch--especially if they aren't the big winner,) or their tenuous relationship with them. There's that whole journalistic grey area here--in citing an anonymous source, the story comes off as less believable--but that's already an issue with a tabloid! We already know that MB's credibilty has been strained by previous seasons, so in my mind, that gives more weight to the story.

GT

03-26-02, 06:53 PM (EST)
21. "RE: The word from SurvivorNews:"
Actually, tabloid or not, The Star seems to be the first actual source anyone has for this whole story, so (blatant ass-kissing coming up) I think the fact that you posted it was a positive step toward finding something other than sheer guesswork.
No one seems to know where the picture came from, where the date came from, hell, where the whole story came from, and from what I can see, a few statements that were simply "what ifs" on other sites a few days ago are now being espoused as near-fact here.

Since I rarely post over here, I feel a little guilty coming in and playing hall monitor, but at the same time, I think this is a valuable discussion and it would benefit from a little more detective work into things like sources.

03-27-02, 01:11 PM (EST)
24. "RE: The word from SurvivorNews:"
Belly has a website of it's own. The photos are from the website. The photos in question have been on the website since before the show. That is the reason everyone is saying that Mike and Sean were friends long before Sean was on Survivor. And Gabe works at Mike's bar where Sean visited. And it all goes from there.

whodat 4 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

03-26-02, 01:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail whodat Click to send private message to whodat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: The "Belly" connection and spoiler(?) from it..."
Is it normally cool enough in Santa Monica in May for everyone to be wearing jackets and scarves and such?

Or was this photo really taken after the survivors got back?

smiles 675 desperate attention whore postings

03-27-02, 02:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail smiles Click to send private message to smiles Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: The "Belly" connection and spoiler(?) from it..."
Is it normally cool enough in Santa Monica in May for everyone to be wearing jackets and scarves and such?

Very good point! Southern California is warm in May. The nights are cool, but not cool enough for a scarf.

03-27-02, 02:27 PM (EST)
26. "RE: The "Belly" connection and spoiler(?) from it..."
For anyone that is interested the one girl in this photo is Mike's ex-girlfriend. She is the one that gave Mike the lucky stone that he then gave to Krista. His ex was quite upset about this. (But then this has nothing to do with Survivor)

03-26-02, 11:17 AM (EST)
14. "Do we know. . ."
. . . how many of these people really are actor wannabes?

I know that having an agent might just mean they hope to get product endorsements in their 15 minutes and have the presence of mind to protect themselves before the fact, but I really can't see people like Zoe, Paschal, Patricia hoping for a movie or sitcom.

Seems like one good casting tactic would be to eliminate anyone who lists waiter or bartender on their résumé. I really have a hard time believing it's SO hard to find an interesting cross-section of REAL people, from DIFFERENT parts of the country! Between the pseudo-professionals and possible pre-show interaction, S4 has suddenly gotten a lot less compelling. . .

(And for those of you still silly enough to WANT to be a victim of the evil Burn-it, I suggest you head over to Bashers for a reality check. Do you REALLY want us to know only what MB wants to sell us about you? )

GT

Serendipity 525 desperate attention whore postings

03-26-02, 08:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Serendipity Click to send private message to Serendipity Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: The "Belly" connection and spoiler(?) from it..."
Apparently these pictures of Sean have been on the Belly website site last May, and the people who are at Belly with Sean are also in his application video.

What will be interesting to me is whether the connection will ever be mentioned. If we were on an island together, talking about where we live, what we do, etc., wouldn't Sean react if Gabe mentions working at Belly? Most of us certainly would.

Of course, it might be that MB hides such a conversation to avoid the appearance of a prior connection where, in fact, there is none, but I'm not sure I would even believe that now.

ItzLisa 3350 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

03-28-02, 11:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ItzLisa Click to send private message to ItzLisa Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
35. "RE: The "Belly" connection and spoiler(?) from it..."
>What will be interesting to me is whether the connection will ever be mentioned

*** That's assuming there IS a connection. Which no one has any proof of. Gabe working at Belly and Sean having been at Belly prove nothing.

I know that I've never been introduced or made friends with people who work at the places I go to. Unless there is SOME proof, a picture of them together AT Belly prior to S4, this proves nothing for me.

Visit BlossomArt's Ebay Page!

"This is a check made out to you, the Beatles, for $3,000 - you divide it up any way you want. If you want to give Ringo less, it's up to you." (SNL's Lorne Michaels, April 1976)

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

03-28-02, 12:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
36. "RE: The "Belly" connection and spoiler(?) from it..."
>*** That's assuming there IS a
>connection. Which no one
>has any proof of.
>Gabe working at Belly and
>Sean having been at Belly
>prove nothing.
>
>I know that I've never been
>introduced or made friends with
>people who work at the
>places I go to.

FWIW, before I started dating Mr. Bebo, he and I were in the same room at least twice, but we didn't recall speaking or talking to each other on either occasion. It just came out during later conversations that we were at the same wedding or concert.

Point being, they both have a connection to Belly. They may have even been there the same night. But we don't have anything showing the two of them together, so we don't know that they had any contact there. So it may be completely irrelevant.

03-28-02, 12:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
37. "Agreed"
There is no way to prove the negative on this one, unless you are willing to take Gabe and Sean at their word and they both say they didn't know each other. If that is out of the question: The fact that no one, Mike Boogie nor anyone else, has come forward with proof of the positive (and if proof of the positive were out there it would have come out unless a major cover-up is in place) indicates the unprovable negative is in fact the truth.

Cap'n Zoe Just YoHoHoee!

heresy 94 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

03-27-02, 09:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail heresy Click to send private message to heresy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "More pieces of the Belly puzzle..."
In another thread , Loree posted more information about the Belly connection, saying that (this is a direct quote from Loree)

Okay I mentioned before that Gabe and Sean supposedly knew each other before the game. Now the Star Magazine is stating this. I don't read this magazine but it is suppose to be in next week's magazine with Halle Berry on the cover. The word is that the scene between Gabe and Sean on the beach was staged. Is this secret strategy?

Word around Belly bar where Gabe works and Sean is friends with Mike Boogie is that Sean makes it to the final 6 or 4. And that Gabe gets voted off for doing something stupid. But Gabe does make the merge.

The word about the Belly bar talk comes from a person that goes to the bar and always told the latest about Mike and friends during BB2. He was always correct then so I believe this is the real talk around the bar. But do they really know or did Gabe or Sean tell tales? I don't know.

(end quote)

The last 2 paragraphs may or may not be independant of the other half of the Belly spoiler, but I thought that this is worth discussing in greater detail.

Does anyone have the issue of Star magazine with Halle Berry on the cover? I think we would all appreciate the entire text of the article.

Wacko Jacko 2438 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

03-28-02, 10:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Wacko%20Jacko Click to send private message to Wacko%20Jacko Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "You people are nuts, no way Gabe goes"
Where is the logic?

Because Gabe got to know Gina? Who says Gina doesn't make it to the merge with Gabe?

Gabe is trying and has worked his fanny off for the tribe. Sean and Ron just sit around all day and do nothing.

Gabe has been shown getting along great with his time except for his remarks to Kathy a couple of weeks ago.

Why in the heck would Rotu vote likeable, hard working Gabe off before unlikable, lazy bones Sean and Rob? No way.

03-28-02, 10:17 AM (EST)
32. "RE: You people are nuts, no way Gabe goes"
>Where is the logic?

Has there been any logic thus far in the whole series? Your reasoning is sound but these guys haven't followed logic yet. For that reason alone, a Gabe boot is very possible.

03-28-02, 10:23 AM (EST)
33. "RE: no way Gabe goes"
You are assuming Original Rotu is a unified tribe without taking into account the internal divisions amongst them, because after all it is a game. Gabe is vulnerable because two of his allies are now Maraamu, and he is also a threat in the impending individual challenges, so there would be a strategic logic for John to get the guy booted while the opportunity is there. I agree, Gabe is very nice and likeable, but it is a game not a vacation.

Cap'n Zoe Just YoHoHoee!

03-28-02, 11:07 AM (EST)
34. "RE: no way Gabe goes"
>Gabe is vulnerable because two
>of his allies are now
>Maraamu,

This is also an assumption.

and he is also
>a threat in the impending
>individual challenges, so there would
>be a strategic logic for
>John to get the guy
>booted while the opportunity is
>there.

True. But will logic ever prevail within this group? Don't forget, 3 of new Rotu are the same folks that voted out Hunter.

I agree, Gabe
>is very nice and likeable,
>but it is a game
>not a vacation.

In S2, they kept Jerri around long after her true colors were revealed. For this reason, Sean isn't an automatic bootee just because he's an a$$h01e.

Blueville 115 desperate attention whore postings

03-28-02, 12:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Blueville Click to send private message to Blueville Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
38. "RE: no way Gabe goes"
MeToo, no disrespect intended, but an argument can be made that voting Hunter out was NOT illogical. At the time, MooMoo had 6 people divided into 3 alliances of 2. Rob had already stated that he wanted to lead, and Sean had already made his alpha-male comment. Rob felt like he controlled Sarah's vote, and Sean felt he controlled Vee's vote. It was easy for them to team up on Hunter and Gina, and Hunter was the one making life difficult for them.

I learned a vauable voting lesson that week. I voted well before the show came on, and, after having more time to think about it and read the boards, realized Hunter was at risk to be voted off. I'm in a contest locally to pick each week's bootee and selected Hunter in that contest. My phone rang off the hook at the end of the show with people wanting to know what inside info I had. Now I wait until about an hour before the show to make my pick (not that it helped last week).

I thought last season's Sambooboo tribe was illogical when they voted out Carl (the 4 gen-xer's against the 4 old folks). At least the old folks were taking care of business and not sleeping all day. I didn't see the gen-xer's motivation for voting out someone who was working to better the tribe.

That is not the case with MooMoo. Sean and Rob's motivation was leadership. They both wanted to lead, and couldn't while Hunter was in the way.

Blue

03-28-02, 12:28 PM (EST)
39. "RE: no way Gabe goes"
Blue,

You are correct in your analysis of the Hunter boot. However, it was still illogical in the sense that the tribe was in dire need of strength at the challenges. The gen-x vs. geriatric votes from S3 were completely different. They picked Carl because they knew he would have trouble with the tie breaker - hence, higly logical.

As for who will go next - I think the quest for leadership is what will finally do Rob in, not the logistics of who should go next. He will become apparent to the old-Roturians that he is the strongest of the old-Moomoos and draw attention to himself.

03-28-02, 12:36 PM (EST)
40. "RE: no way Gabe goes"
LAST EDITED ON 03-28-02 AT 12:36 PM (EST)

First, as to the "logic" of needing Hunter for challenges: They lost every challenge WITH him.

Second, as Dicque of S-1 tells us: It's social skills that win and lose Survivor, not athletic or food-gathering skills. Hunter was disliked by Sean, an obstacle (or competition) to Rob, and antagonized Sarah as shown in the preview the week before. It's LOGICAL to assume a lot of people didn't want to keep Hunter around.

Last, I agree totally with Blueville... you will note that I usually don't vote until very late. The reason: In S-3, I missed Linda because I thought the RC was the IC and that Boran would visit TC again. I voted the day before the show. If I had waited until Early Show pics the morning of the show, I would've realized my error and adjusted accordingly. Bad dog! I now wait unless I'm really darn sure of myself (which ain't that often).

Blueville 115 desperate attention whore postings

03-28-02, 12:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Blueville Click to send private message to Blueville Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
41. "RE: no way Gabe goes"
One correction. The Gen-xer's picked Carl because he was a rich dentist with 2 fine automobiles, and didn't need the money as much as the others. At the time, they had no idea that the TC tie-breaker would be quiz questions. The only logic they used in voting one of the OFA off was that they didn't want to be hassled about sleeping late, laying around, and not helping with any of the camp chores. The logical decision would have been to vote off Diane or Teresa to keep the stronger people around for challenges and camp chores.

03-28-02, 02:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Wacko%20Jacko Click to send private message to Wacko%20Jacko Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
43. "RE: no way Gabe goes"
LAST EDITED ON 03-28-02 AT 02:51 PM (EST)

The Mallrats also wanted to break up the Carl and Frank team. They chose Carl because he was a rich dentist over Frank. They had hoped by axing Carl, Frank would mellow because they were up 4 to 3. Carl was a jerk and deserved to go. Even watching that guy on the wrap-up show he reminded me of a snobbier Robin Leach with that Beverly Hills attitude and NY accent.

When it is all said and done people are voted off on how well they are liked or disliked. Carl, Linda and than Frank lost for that reason. Teresa stayed because she was well liked.

Gabe is not overly disliked. He will not go.

03-28-02, 02:40 PM (EST)
42. "RE: no way Gabe goes"
LAST EDITED ON 03-28-02 AT 02:49 PM (EST)

Agree on Hunter. It made no sense but the tribe was in total disarray and looking back I see now how it happened.

As for Carl, how can you not see that? He was an arrogant jerk. I hated that guy from day one. He is my alltime least favorite Survivor person. He didn't even try to get along and that is one of the first no-nos of Survivor.

Gabe on the other has gotten along and works his fanny off. Sean and Rob do not get along with anyone and are lazy bums. No way Gabe goes. Gotta remember the orignal Rotu and Maraamu are two totally different tribes. On paper looking at the two I would of sworn Maraamu was stronger. They had all younger and physically fit men and women (other than Pat). Rotu looked like a potpouri of all types but Maramu has won because of there unity. They are a united team and will not split because of two obvisious slackers. NO WAY GABE GOES. And I am not a Gabe fan, I just don't see it. Never in a million years.

03-28-02, 02:56 PM (EST)
44. "RE: no way Gabe goes"
MeToo asked for the logic behind a potential Gabe boot, I supplied it in my response. Personally, I think the best strategy in New Rotu right now would be for the five Original Rotu to hold ranks while losing immunities 5 and 6 in order to eliminate Sean and Rob. This is Survivor, however, so the smart move may be the one thing they'll not do.

There are other factors which could come into play, divisions and alliances or proto-alliances within Original Rotu which we've not seen developed all that well in the editing (unfortunately) which suggest that John and Gabe might gun for each other should New Rotu go to TC. And since Gabe seems to be something of a male version of Gretchen, it would seem to me John would get the upper hand in that particular battle, though having left the Maraamu intact on his flank.

"If all machines were to be annihilated at one moment, so that not a knife nor lever nor rag of clothing nor anything whatsoever were left to man but his bare body alone that he was born with, and if all knowledge of mechanical laws were taken from him so that he could make no more machines, and all machine-made food destroyed so that the race of man should be left as it were naked upon a desert island, we should become extinct in six weeks." (Samuel Butler, "Erewhon")

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings

03-28-02, 08:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: The "Belly" connection and spoiler(?) from it..."
I don't really believe that Sean met Gabe out in Cally. In Episode 1, Sean was "rejoicing" about seeing being in the ocean, and I believe he made some comment about not getting out of Harlem much and never seeing the ocean. If you go to LA, I'm pretty sure you see the ocean.

jkokoj 4389 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

03-28-02, 09:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jkokoj Click to send private message to jkokoj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: The "Belly" connection and spoiler(?) from it..."
FYI Sean teaches in South Central LA. I am sure he has seen the ocean in LA and in NY. Sean is definitly in CA and it is my understanding that a picture of him at Belly's is from last May.

03-28-02, 09:51 AM (EST)
30. "RE: The "Belly" connection and spoiler(?) from it..."
His comment was that he had never been on the ocean before, and he thanked God for getting him safely to land. He should have thanked MB as well for putting a couple of lifeguards on his team.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •