The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Who's enjoying TAR more - new fans or long-time ones?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Fanatics Forum (Protected)
Original message

RealityMom 560 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

04-26-05, 01:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RealityMom Click to send private message to RealityMom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Who's enjoying TAR more - new fans or long-time ones?"
As a first-time fan of TAR, I am really enjoying this season. I watched one or two episodes in the past, but since I wasn't into the contestants, I really didn't get into the show. But my son convinced me to watch this season because it's his favorite reality show. Since I enjoy watching Rob and Amber, I gave it another try and I'm so glad I did. As I've said, this show is like a fairy tale. As the two articles in the New York Times and Daily News (thank, KMan) mention, the show is doing great - one of the few shows to actually go in ratings.
But the articles also discuss how the game has changed. The Times, especially, talks about how Rob and Amber have changed the game. The title of the article, in fact, is "On TV, Reality Loves A Villain". But since I hadn't watched the show before, I had nothing to compare these players' performance to.
Many long-time fans, TAR purists, have resented adding scheming and plotting to the game. To them, that's not what the game is about. Again, with no prior TAR experience, the only reference I have is Survivor which is all about strategy and outwitting the others.
My favorite element of TAR is the human dynamic. I love to see how the players interact with each other. I love how nice Rob and Amber are together. Joyce and Uchenna are terrific. Uchenna was so supportive when Joyce had her hair shaved. I cringe watching Kelly and Ron. Seeing Meredith and Gretchen holding hands is great.
So, overall, I'm enjoying the show just the way it is. How do you feel, new fans (of which there are many) and long-time viewers?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new f... ARnutz 04-26-05 1
   RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new f... Lula 04-29-05 33
 RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new f... Max Headroom 04-26-05 2
 RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new f... Femme 04-26-05 3
 RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new f... Drive My Car 04-26-05 4
   RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new f... RealityMom 04-26-05 5
       RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new f... Spidey 04-28-05 28
   RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new f... dragonflies 04-26-05 6
       RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new f... RealityMom 04-26-05 7
           RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new f... Femme 04-26-05 8
               RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new f... Drive My Car 04-26-05 9
                   RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new f... RealityMom 04-26-05 11
                       RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new f... Drive My Car 04-26-05 13
   RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new f... sittem 04-26-05 10
       RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new f... RealityMom 04-26-05 12
           RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new f... Drive My Car 04-26-05 15
               RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new f... RealityMom 04-26-05 16
           RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new f... anotherkim 04-30-05 35
       RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new f... Drive My Car 04-26-05 14
 RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new f... GottaLoveTAR 04-27-05 17
 RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new f... Rebel_Red 04-27-05 18
 RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new f... aquariaqueen 04-27-05 19
   RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new f... realitybites 04-27-05 20
   RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new f... RealityMom 04-27-05 21
       RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new f... aquariaqueen 04-27-05 22
   RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new f... CouchTater 04-29-05 34
 RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new f... carebo 04-27-05 23
   RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new f... cahaya 04-27-05 24
 RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new f... RealityMom 04-27-05 25
 RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new f... applejack93 04-28-05 26
   RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new f... KMan 04-28-05 27
       RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new f... memyselfandi 04-28-05 29
           RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new f... RealityMom 04-28-05 30
               RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new f... memyselfandi 04-28-05 31
                   RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new f... Steph_Fan 04-29-05 32
 RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new f... anotherkim 04-30-05 36
 RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new f... cambo 04-30-05 37
   RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new f... Lula 05-01-05 38
   One guide per task. Earl Colby Pottinger 05-01-05 39
 RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new f... RealityMom 05-04-05 40

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

ARnutz 13937 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-26-05, 01:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ARnutz Click to send private message to ARnutz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new fans or long-time ones?"
I love TAR for TAR. I don't care who is on it and I've been watching since TAR 2. I'd even watch it if Omarosa were on it.

My favorite part of the show is seeing the different places they travel to and how they incorporate the local customs, etc. into the tasks.

It's really great to see the racers different reactions to different parts of the world and the cultures. Some appreciate the experience and can see great things in our differences while others only see the negative aspects.

Not crazy about Romber, but it's not like they turned me away from the show. Heck, I lived through watching Jonathan!

Lula 18 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

04-29-05, 07:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Lula Click to send private message to Lula Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new fans or long-time ones?"
The first show I saw was Gus and Hera's last show. I knew TAR existed, but I don't watch TV very much and never turned it on. One night I stumbled upon it and have watch every night since then.

I have never heard of Romber before TAR7. The reason I watch it is because I like to travel. Some of the endings have been very exciting. Ray's race to the mat with the brothers is my favorite.

Max Headroom 10069 desperate attention whore postings

04-26-05, 02:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new fans or long-time ones?"
I've watched TAR since the second season and I enjoy it on two levels. One, I watch TAR as a travelogue, to see places I haven't been and occasionally re-see places I have been. And two, TAR highlights interpersonal relationships. While nobody liked the horrible relationship of Jonathan and Victoria in last season's TAR, a little conflict makes the show tick.

All in all, imho TAR is the best reality show, by far. I have watched every season of Survivor and its best season doesn't stack up to TAR.

"Kudos to Cygnus for this sigpic!"

Femme 3621 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

04-26-05, 02:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Femme Click to send private message to Femme Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new fans or long-time ones?"
LAST EDITED ON 04-26-05 AT 02:54 PM (EST)

I have watched every season of TAR, and even when it's been a less-than-stellar end for my tastes, I have enjoyed every season.

I do not think that these so-called "TAR-purists" are really TAR fans. This has always been a scheming, sneaky type show. From the very first season we have seen it. In the very first episode, people repeatedly asked the locals for help, and in the second episode, the "sneakiness" of this type of gameshow was immediately apparent, as you can see from this excerpt from the official summary by Pendragon:

When they arrive in Paris, The Teachers add insult to injury by “cutting in line” at the taxi stand. Amie believes that they should have waited in line like the rest of the tourists while the Teachers believe, oddly enough, that it’s a race and they should try to get to their next stop as quickly as possible. The Teachers bribe the cabby to kick out the engaged couple who have jumped into the back of the cab they were trying to hail.

So, these alleged "purists" are either experiencing "selective memory," or they just don't really know anything about this show at all.

The "pass" Rob and Amber took at the meat-eating roadblock (and the fact that they convinced others to do the same) was certainly a new twist, but the overall scheming and sneaking has been there from the very first episode of the very first season.

What makes it so exciting this time is that the arguably sneakiest team this go-around is just so much more likeable for their personality, their treatment of one another, and their obvious ability. The "sneaky person" is usually a bossy, jerky man or a whiny, loudmouth woman, so it's easier to frown on it, but Rob and Amber just confuse people.

Femme

edited to add the link to the summary.

Drive My Car 20045 desperate attention whore postings

04-26-05, 04:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Drive%20My%20Car Click to send private message to Drive%20My%20Car Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new fans or long-time ones?"

I've always liked Amazing Race, in fact the seasons that were on in the summer were great because my daughter was hooked on them and could watch without missing her bedtime ( I like the earlier time slot for this reason).

What is different for me this season is that even though I enjoyed the show, I didn't participate much on the TAR forums.
Having Rob and Amber on has made the boards more fun for me.

I agree with Femme, there has always been scheming in this show.

04-26-05, 04:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RealityMom Click to send private message to RealityMom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new fans or long-time ones?"
LAST EDITED ON 04-26-05 AT 04:38 PM (EST)

So do you think the same people who are saying there's more scheming are the same ones who don't like Rob and Amber. I love them, as I've said before but they do inspire a love 'em or hate 'em attitude. Would people be less bothered by their behavior and give them more credit for how well they're playing- I still think it was amazing that Rob talked two other teams into taking that four-hour penalty- if they had been first-time reality contestants?

Spidey 6259 desperate attention whore postings

04-28-05, 12:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Spidey Click to send private message to Spidey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new fans or long-time ones?"
So do you think the same people who are saying there's more scheming are the same ones who don't like Rob and Amber.

In a word, yes.

Also TAR-watcher from the get go and completely agree with Femme & Buggy.

dragonflies 8051 desperate attention whore postings

04-26-05, 04:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dragonflies Click to send private message to dragonflies Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new fans or long-time ones?"
I agree with Buggy. Our family has been watching since TAR3 or 4, I watched bits and pieces before that. But since I've joined these boards, watching has brought on a whole new meaning. I would love to be on the show someday, as I'm sure many here would. But in the meantime, we live vicariously through the contestants that are on it.

As far as scheming, while it seems to have become more apparent, it also makes more entertainment. My only complaint is that the clues are no longer clues, they are instructions.

another syren masterpiece

04-26-05, 04:48 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new fans or long-time ones?"
Since I didn't watch TAR before, I didn't know that the clues truly used to be clues. Wow! That sounds like it would have been a lot of fun, both for the players and for the viewers. I can see watching the show with everyone sitting around trying to guess what the clue meant. Again, since I never heard any of the clues, were they too simple or too complex, so that the players had trouble figuring them out? Do you think that's why they stopped doing it that way?

Femme 3621 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

04-26-05, 06:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Femme Click to send private message to Femme Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new fans or long-time ones?"
Off the top of my head, one of the clues was the flag of a country, and they had to figure out where they were going next.

That was really cool.

Femme

i she be your girlfriend

04-26-05, 06:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Drive%20My%20Car Click to send private message to Drive%20My%20Car Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new fans or long-time ones?"
And they had to book their own flights too.
I think that may be one of the reasons the clues are different, the Production now prebooks many of the flights, it may make producing the show easier, but it was fun to watch teams booking all different flights through all different conecting cities.

04-26-05, 08:38 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new fans or long-time ones?"
Do I have your permission to call you Buggy?
When they were booking their own flights was there less bunching? That is one of the few things that I find frustrating- that one team has a huge lead and then it's negated when they're all bunched because something doesn't open for hours or whatever. I'm sure bunching has been discussed here ad nauseum but I think it's one of the things that does bother new fans.

04-26-05, 10:27 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new fans or long-time ones?"
Of course you can call me Buggy, I perfer it. Drive My Car is more of a posting title, and doesn't really fit as a name. Buggy actually evolved as my name over the years I've posted here, and everyone is welcome to call me Buggy, it's my name.

I'm trying to remember if there was less bunching, I know that Bunching has been a well discussed issue since at least the second season. It's weird how you remember more about the teams and players and episodes when you are ivolved on the boards, more then if you are just a watcher of the show. Like I said earlier, I watched the show casually, but rarely posted or read the forums, even though I'd been a member here before TAR even began.
I am sure some real experts on the show can tell you if the bunching was more prominant before so many of the flights were pre-booked. I know in the earlier shows there was still bunching at some task spots, places that didn't open til morning, trains, and so forth.

A fun way for you to learn about the other seasons,( if you are interested) may be to read the archived episode summaries. I know there is some great writing that I've never read.

sittem 4186 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

04-26-05, 08:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sittem Click to send private message to sittem Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new fans or long-time ones?"
Yeah, Bug, it's good to see how TAR has brought you out of your cocoon - you were so shy before and it was painful to see you never share

2002 IceCat Originals, Inc. All rights reserved.

04-26-05, 08:43 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new fans or long-time ones?"
LAST EDITED ON 04-26-05 AT 08:43 PM (EST)

Hey, Sittem,
I don't know if you saw my earlier message that when my son saw how many postings Buggy has, he called her (at the time I didn't know her gender) the Wilt Chamberlin of the Internet. Now we'll have to call her the Wilma Chamberlin instead.

04-26-05, 10:42 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new fans or long-time ones?"

Now RealMom, here I thought we were getting along so well.
*hehehehe*

Seriously, there are other foums than these at RTVW, and I have been here a very long time. If you click the 'Coverences' button, you'll see how many forums there are now. Plus I didn't used to work.

I may still have the most posts around here, not sure anymore, but if I don't, it's close.

04-26-05, 11:12 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new fans or long-time ones?"
Buggy, You know I'm just teasing. I really appreciate you giving me background about TAR. Actually, and this may show that I spend way too much time on the computer but I have a folder shortcut on my screen labelled "Reality TV" that has shortcuts to a whole bunch of reality sites. I really like Reality News Online because they have great summaries. I like several others but decided to post here because the people seemed friendly and I liked the way the threads were organized. Some of the other threads seemed so precise that if you wanted to discuss something that didn't fit with the pre-existing threads, you really couldn't add your thoughts.
When I chose my online name, RealityMom came to me in a flash because most of the 80s and 90s were spent as a soccer mom but now that my kids are grown, reality shows are one thing we all share.
Thanks again for your input.

anotherkim 14420 desperate attention whore postings

04-30-05, 08:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail anotherkim Click to send private message to anotherkim Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
35. "RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new fans or long-time ones?"
the Wilt Chamberlin of the Internet
bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

--best.laugh.I've.had.all.damn.week.

04-26-05, 10:34 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new fans or long-time ones?"
Now Sittem, no need to get personnal *wink*
You know how humble I am.
It's not like you haven't been around nearly as long as I have, you just have more of a life.

Really though, out of all the main show forums, TAR was the one I watched but didn't post about.

GottaLoveTAR 76 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

04-27-05, 07:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail GottaLoveTAR Click to send private message to GottaLoveTAR Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new fans or long-time ones?"
I started watching this season.

Rebel_Red 13 desperate attention whore postings

04-27-05, 08:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Rebel_Red Click to send private message to Rebel_Red Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new fans or long-time ones?"
I've been watching for several years, but I was never motivated to seek out a message board until Rob and Amber started playing the race.

They may not always be my favorite, but they add a dynamic that makes things SO MUCH FUN.

aquariaqueen 2616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

04-27-05, 10:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail aquariaqueen Click to send private message to aquariaqueen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new fans or long-time ones?"
Someone correct me, I am sure I am wrong.

I have watched all the Amazing Races. On the first episode of season 1, weren't they dumped in the middle of the desert to figure out what to do next, or am I confusing it with something else? They then converged on a small village.

As for as clues, some of the original clues would be portions of pictures, and people would have to recognize parts of buildings, backgrounds, people, etc. and/or interact with citizens to find someone who knew the place they need to go.

Agreed, they shouldn't be called "Clues" anymore. They should be called "Instructions".

realitybites 1174 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

04-27-05, 12:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail realitybites Click to send private message to realitybites Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new fans or long-time ones?"
>I have watched all the Amazing Races. On the first episode of
>season 1, weren't they dumped in the middle of the desert to
>figure out what to do next, or am I confusing it with something
>else?

Different show. That was "Lost", a vaguely similar show on another network.

Reality show babes: Deidre (TAR2), Mary (TAR2), Emily (TAR), Hera (TAR6), the 2nd round tokens (Bachelor), Mary D. (Bachelor), Melissa M. (Joe Millionaire), Sara (American Dream Derby)

04-27-05, 12:28 PM (EST)
21. "RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new fans or long-time ones?"
As I read about some of the real clues they gave on previous TARs, thanks, posters, they sound like they'd be so much more interactive and fun. So, again, I ask, why do you think they stopped using them?

aquariaqueen 2616 desperate attention whore postings

04-27-05, 01:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail aquariaqueen Click to send private message to aquariaqueen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new fans or long-time ones?"
Why don't they use more complete clues, some people aren't as bright, took longer....probably had to keep film crews in different locations longer, instead of sending some of them on ahead.

"Lost" was on way back when??? Could be, this menopausal woman is slipping her cog lately.

CouchTater 1046 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

04-29-05, 07:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CouchTater Click to send private message to CouchTater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new fans or long-time ones?"
This is my first post here ever. I'm so excited.

Yes, you are correct! I remember because I thought that that would be so much fun to be dumped somewhere in the middle of nowhere and try to figure out where I am. In the first season, they were blind folded and dropped off by helicopter if I'm not mistaken. I also think that they didn't have much money or even no money and they had to get help from locals to get to the next place. I also remember that they had to find their own way to the next location.

carebo 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

04-27-05, 01:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail carebo Click to send private message to carebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new fans or long-time ones?"
I am new to the boards and enjoy reading the posts. I have been watching TAR since episode 1 and have loved every season. I even go back further to Mark Burnett's first "race" does any one remember the eco challenge and what happened to it? Now that was racing!

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

04-27-05, 04:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new fans or long-time ones?"
Welcome to the boards, carebo!

I started watching TAR in earnest last season (TAR 6) and haven't missed an episode except during a 3-week trip to Amsterdam last month. I suffered withdrawal symptoms from missing both the show and these boards!

I watch very little TV, saw a few episodes of Survivor, which is too much of a non-action mindgame for my liking, but after seeing TAR last year, it's on my small (very small, mind you!) "must watch on TV" list.

I just love to watch the human dynamics between the two members of each team, between the teams, and between the teams and the locals. I also travel a lot, being an American living abroad, and this show gives me some ideas of places that I'd like to visit.

cahaya

04-27-05, 04:29 PM (EST)
25. "RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new fans or long-time ones?"
So many new posters have come onboard in the last few weeks, including myself. Rob and Amber seem to have boosted both the TV ratings and the number of fans following on the Internet. Does anyone know or can we find out from the people in charge of RTW if there has been a greater increase in new members since this edition of TAR?

applejack93 288 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

04-28-05, 09:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail applejack93 Click to send private message to applejack93 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new fans or long-time ones?"
LAST EDITED ON 04-28-05 AT 09:26 AM (EST)

Well, I live in Australia and we always get TAR way behind the U.S. Infact, just tonight was the final episode of TAR6.

I have watched sinced the original TAR, and I have to say TAR6 was not the best.

I have been tracking TAR7 on these boards and it sounds like it's the best in quite a while. It starts next week here in Aus.

If I could rank the seasons though (not including TAR7) I would say:

1. TAR 5
2. TAR
3. TAR 4
4. TAR 3
5. TAR 2
6. TAR 6

I can't wait for it to start here!

KMan 141 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-28-05, 11:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail KMan Click to send private message to KMan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new fans or long-time ones?"
IMO, the first season was the best yet (but it may have been because of the novelty).
I agree with what other people said. I actually enjoyed the original "Lost" because people took completely different flights, ended up on different continents, etc. I would love to see more of that on TAR.

memyselfandi 48 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

04-28-05, 01:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail memyselfandi Click to send private message to memyselfandi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new fans or long-time ones?"
I got hooked on TAR5 and loved it. TAR6 was okay but I'm loving TAR7. Love Rob and Amber but aside from the pass they aren't doing anything that wasn't done before;they are just more under the microscope than other teams. This season certainly seems to be getting more media attention than previous seasons. It might be fun if they went back less specfic clues. Is it possible that there is so many prearranged flights because it was filmed during holiday season-many cultures/religion seem to celebrate holiday that time period.

04-28-05, 01:30 PM (EST)
30. "RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new fans or long-time ones?"
I think that's a good thought about the difficulty of getting flights, especially at the last minute, during the holiday season. I know we've sometimes had to book tickets in the spring for Thanksgiving or Christmas.
But this week's episode did give us a glimpse of how much more fun it is to watch the teams book their own flights. Certainly, Rob's mind games and his own inability to find an earlier flight (although he really did go to several travel agents and airlines, so I don't know why no one knew about the earlier flight) was one of the most discussed aspects of the show.

memyselfandi 48 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

04-28-05, 01:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail memyselfandi Click to send private message to memyselfandi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new fans or long-time ones?"
I have a feeling with the family edition that there will be more prearranged flights,but hopefully TAR9 won't have any.

Steph_Fan 473 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

04-29-05, 05:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Steph_Fan Click to send private message to Steph_Fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new fans or long-time ones?"
I watched about half of the first season, and then stopped. I recently realized, with TAR6, that I was missing something great! Commercials during Survivor definitely helped. I can say that I am now as hooked as any of the original die-hards - I can only hope they eventually come out on DVD.

anotherkim 14420 desperate attention whore postings

04-30-05, 08:44 AM (EST)
Click to EMail anotherkim Click to send private message to anotherkim Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
36. "RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new fans or long-time ones?"

I like this show because it doesn't depend on voting people off like so many other reality shows. That's what gets old about Survivor or Big Brother. The "good" people never win because they get targeted by the rest of the tribe and you know they're doomed. In TAR, every team (in theory) has a fighting chance. When they lose, it is generally their own fault. I love seeing the different countries and a more realistic human interaction. Watching how teams interact while traveling is more true than seeing total strangers interact on an island and pretend to get along for XX number of days (and I like Survivor, it's just not the same).

I prefered TAR with clues and less pre-booked flights. It was more of a true race then. Now it is more of an obstacle course or something. They are certainly not given "clues" at each stop. How much deduction does it take to figure out "get in a taxi and to to the tower in the center of town?". That's the biggest flaw, IMO. They've dumbed it waaaaaaay down as it got more popular.

Rob and Amber have drawn the flack because people didn't like them being chosen for any number of reasons. They are certainly not the most villianous players to participate and they are by no means the first to pull any of the tricks that they've done with the exception of the intentional pass on the detour. There has ALWAYS been plotting and scheming on the show, but it is generally done by people that are utterly horrid, utterly incompetent or utterly forgettable. The most lovable and popular TAR characters, by and large, are those who have been nice, funny, inoffensive and safe. Rarely have the two styles crossed over.

I'm not sure what to think of the family version of TAR. I fear it may be a dud, but I hope that T9 brings back some of the old-style game that I miss.

I also don't believe the idea that Rob and Amber are taking the place of any "deserving" team. It's CBS's game and they get to decide who plays. I think a lot of people are delusional if they think that Romber somehow stole their spot.

cambo 286 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

04-30-05, 09:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cambo Click to send private message to cambo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
37. "RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new fans or long-time ones?"
I've seen every season and the one rule they need to add after this season is no more tour guides. It takes the fun out of watching it when a team has a local that they bring with them from task to task. I think locals should only be able to help at the specific task at hand.

Lula 18 desperate attention whore postings

05-01-05, 05:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Lula Click to send private message to Lula Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
38. "RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new fans or long-time ones?"
I thought the idea of the tour guide was smart. I don't like having a local doing the task. Didn't the local actually do the shopping task for Amber in South Aftica? Once they get to the task the local should stand aside.

Earl Colby Pottinger 2597 desperate attention whore postings

05-01-05, 03:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to send private message to Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
39. "One guide per task."
I like that idea, time spent recruiting locals will cut into the time to run the race. Rob and Amber's guide in India was not that much help as far as I can tell, but he stayed with them for a long time.

Make getting a local guide a win/loss choice instead of the win/win choice it is now.

05-04-05, 04:05 AM (EST)
40. "RE: Who's enjoying TAR more - new fans or long-time ones?"
I absolutely loved tonight's episode. It was exciting, heartstopping, dramatic, educational, emotional. I learned things I never knew. I didn't know that Istanbul was on two continents- that would have made a great Jeopardy question. I'd never seen whirling dervishes. That Rob and Amber were still in the game and came in first, no less, was so gratifying. Meredith and Uchenna both showed such class when they helped other teams. It seemed that many of the elements that long-time viewers have mentioned enjoying during past seasons were incorporated again: teams booking their own flights, actual clues, spoilers that didn't come to pass, previews that didn't even come close to letting us know how exciting things were going to be. Rob and Amber ran an amazing race. I know there are viewers who think they shouldn't get local guides but I really enjoy watching them. Even Joyce finally getting a little upset during the double decker drive was so human. I can't imagine many married couples not getting testy during that task and as soon as Uchenna realized he was upsetting her he stopped but told her how proud he was of her at the end. I think even Kelly did a good job during the drive but she and Ron continue to be impossible together. For one hour, tonight, I kept watching the clock, not because I couldn't wait for the show to end, but because as the time passed, it meant I was closer to knowing what was going to happen. I can't wait for next week.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •