The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Questions for the regular fans of AI"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

riverrocker 298 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

02-21-08, 05:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail riverrocker Click to send private message to riverrocker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Questions for the regular fans of AI"
LAST EDITED ON 02-21-08 AT 05:21 PM (EST)

Pardon me if this sounds crazy/dumb/stupid......but we have NEVER watched AI before this season--thanks to the writers' strike, this was something "new" to see.

My questions are these: who choses the songs they sing? Contestants? Judges? Producers? Who choses the "decade" type songs? Do they do this every season? Is Simon really not familiar with the songs...or is that more of his sarcasm? At what point will they narrow to both girls and guys competing w/each other? Do these contestants EVER have voice lessons, coaching, musical training etc.? Unlike SYTYCD, which we've watched every season, so many of these competitors act as if they've NEVER had ANY training.......or is that just so much "drama" in the show.

I would appreciate anyone who can give me insight here...or direct me to somewhere I can read up on AI. Yes, I've seen some of the "winners" from the past, but most have seemed to fizzle on the music scene...or never get far in the first place. Carrie Underwood seems to be a bit of an exception so far. Is this a true view on the show?

And what of the VFTW? Are these folks w/an axe to grind or just trying to "mess up" the process?

Thanks in advance.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Questions for the regular fans ... Snidget 02-21-08 1
 RE: Questions for the regular fans ... buckeyegirl 02-21-08 2
 RE: Questions for the regular fans ... ulalame 02-21-08 3
   RE: Questions for the regular fans ... Snidget 02-21-08 4
       RE: Questions for the regular fans ... riverrocker 02-21-08 5
 RE: Questions for the regular fans ... zazzy 02-22-08 6
 RE: Questions for the regular fans ... zazzy 02-22-08 7
   RE: Questions for the regular fans ... Corvis 02-22-08 8
       RE: Questions for the regular fans ... riverrocker 02-22-08 9
           RE: Questions for the regular fans ... nailbone 02-22-08 10
               RE: Questions for the regular fans ... Snidget 02-22-08 11
           RE: Questions for the regular fans ... Iconoclastic 02-22-08 12
               RE: Questions for the regular fans ... nailbone 02-22-08 13
                   RE: Questions for the regular fans ... Snidget 02-22-08 14
                       RE: Questions for the regular fans ... nailbone 02-22-08 15
           RE: Questions for the regular fans ... zazzy 02-22-08 16
               RE: Questions for the regular fans ... nailbone 02-22-08 17
                   RE: Questions for the regular fans ... Snidget 02-22-08 21
       RE: Questions for the regular fans ... zazzy 02-22-08 18
           RE: Questions for the regular fans ... Corvis 02-22-08 19
               RE: Questions for the regular fans ... zazzy 02-22-08 20
               RE: Questions for the regular fans ... ulalame 02-22-08 22
 Really? zombiebaby 03-04-08 24

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-21-08, 05:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Questions for the regular fans of AI"
LAST EDITED ON 02-21-08 AT 05:35 PM (EST)

The contestants choose the songs, but the choices may be limited by the theme of the week (first year they did theme of the week for the "semi finals"). They also have to be songs that are cleared to be broadcast by Fox. Sometimes they prepare a song and then the one that owns the rights won't let them sing it and they have a last minute change.

The Producers pick the themes. Near the end when they sing a couple of songs per episode there usually is a sing the judge's choice.

I think Simon doesn't know a lot of songs that mostly charted here in the US and never did across the pond. I don't think it is all sarcasm.

Once we have a top 12 they will all be together. Then we switch from 4 leave per week to one leaves per week.

Strangely, they have access to vocal coaches, etc. It seems sometimes some of the top 24 are selected just to be eliminated early so a favorite will go far.

The success of Idols (both winners and also rans) varies, but most do better than your standard never got nationwide exposure before singers.

VFTW are some of those who think some people are chosen just to tank. They usually select someone that is an obvious non-favorite of the judges who is entertaining for some reason and vote as a block for that one person (or one girl and one boy at this stage). The VFTW people seem to take themselves much less seriously than people take them and tend to have a snarky satirical view of the show.

buckeyegirl 5449 desperate attention whore postings

02-21-08, 05:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail buckeyegirl Click to send private message to buckeyegirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Questions for the regular fans of AI"
Welcome to American Idol and the AI forum. Snidget gave excellent answers to your questions-you may want check out idolonfox AI's homepage, which gives great background info on all of the contestants, past and present, and VTFW's website is a great place to get the background info on why they do what they do-it seems to me that they both have an axe to grind and are trying to mess up the process...

To me, the fun really starts when we get down to the final 12 contestants...

A Kyngsladye Original Kreation

ulalame 778 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

02-21-08, 05:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ulalame Click to send private message to ulalame Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Questions for the regular fans of AI"
Some further answers.

Simon can be sarcastic, but you usually can tell when he's being so. I bought it that he wasn't familiar with some of the songs.

They will narrow it down -- two boys and two girls will go in each of the next three weeks (including this week), and afterward, the top 6 boys and top 6 girls will compete together, with one person being eliminated each week.

They definitely have access to coaches. You should see marked improvement in many of the contestants next week -- the first week is often shakey, due to their nerves.

While a few AI winners have tanked, many prior winners and top 12 contestants have gone on to have successful careers. Clay Aiken, Carrie Underwood, Chris Daughtry and Kelly Clarkson in the recording industry, Fantasia on Broadway and Jennifer Hudson in film to name a few.

02-21-08, 06:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Questions for the regular fans of AI"
Even those that haven't been huge hits have gotten records released off of their 15 minutes

http://www.idolsmusic.com/america.htm has the full list, it also lists things they did before they were idols.

02-21-08, 11:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail riverrocker Click to send private message to riverrocker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Questions for the regular fans of AI"
LAST EDITED ON 02-21-08 AT 11:29 PM (EST)

Thanks to all of you for the information; this is what we were wondering about. I will definitely check out the URLs you all posted. Very useful to know.

zazzy 4390 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

02-22-08, 10:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail zazzy Click to send private message to zazzy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Questions for the regular fans of AI"
LAST EDITED ON 02-22-08 AT 10:42 AM (EST)

One change this year was that the contestants had to sing something from the '60's this week--usually at the top 24 stage they get to select from anything that the show can get clearance on and what the contestants usually chose is something that showcases their strengths--like Daughtry doing some Fuel early on.

I think the show had more production value in it last night--the video of the top 24 with the fake paparazzi was a nice way to celebrate all the contestants--it let them all have a moment.

I would have to look back over the past few years but I don't recall the top 24 doing a group number like last night's number, either--with all the deliberate costuming, solo sing outs, etc. I thought we didn't see that "cheesy goodness" until there were fewer contestants.

If you continue to read this board you will see the discussion of producer manipulation to get 'their' candidate into the top 4 or be the winner. Song selection plays a role in that. In past seasons we have had reports of songs being prepared for the show only to get a very late negative response from the producers leaving the contestant about a day to prepare a new song. When the contestants' stage presence and moves play such a large role in the judges' comments, you can see that having only one day puts them at a big disadvantage. And it seems that these song issues happen to contestants that are NOT the producers favs. Hmmm.

Simon seems to know more about pop than he does rock and R&B. Part of the fun of watching is to see how he embarrasses himself and then trys to recover from his gaffs.

As for voice lessons, I think AI tells them to get vocal coaching between the audition rounds that are held in various cities over the summer and the Hollywood rounds that are held late in the year. I think they have a few months to get ready for Hollywood. Once they are in the top 24 I don't think they have much time to work with a vocal coach...the schedule is quite grueling,particularly when it gets to the top ten. They get coaching from Brydie, the AI coach and some from guest coaches, etc.

Does anyone recall if they still have access to/spend time with their own vocal coaches once they are at the top 24 stage?

Another good reference place for AI is MJ's Big Blog. She has been writing about AI for several seasons.

http://mjsbigblog.com/

I think "cheesy goodness" came from her.

Edited to add: Wikipedia has good background on each season on AI, too.

02-22-08, 10:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail zazzy Click to send private message to zazzy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Questions for the regular fans of AI"
P.S. MTV has some good articles on AI.

Last year's F2 "must sing" song demonstrates some of the producers' guiding hand in the eventual outcome. Some years the F2 sing different new "must sing" songs, sometimes they sing the same song. Last year they wanted Jordin to win; they had Jordin and Blake sing the same song.

Here is a link to an interview with Blake, who was in the top 2 last year, losing to Jordin Sparks.

http://buzzworthy.mtv.com/2007/12/21/exclusive-blake-lewis-talks-about-getting-screwed-on-american-idol/

Here's a snippet from the Buzzworthy interview:

----------

"BW: When you first heard “This Is My Now,” the ballad you had to perform during the finale, did you think you were toast?

BL: Oh, totally. Me and Jordin went in a room with some guy who was producing that song and I was like, what the f— is this? This is a piece of s—. And you’re not going to let me arrange it? OK, cool. Thanks guys. I didn’t want to win American Idol anyway; I wanted to get second. Then we found out we had to learn it in, like, three days or something ridiculous. It was dumb. It was just like, are you kidding me? It was really a piece of crap song. And the guys who wrote it were like, we’re sorry, dude.

BW: It seemed totally unfair…

BL: When I found out they wouldn’t let me change it, I was like, you’re kidding me. I mean, my range is alright but … I don’t do power ballads. And if I do, I write them and tailor them to my voice. But this one, I was just like, ummm… So I totally just, like, brushed it off and picked a key that I shouldn’t have picked. But it didn’t matter. Honestly, I picked Jordin to win during Hollywood Week."

----------

A couple a years ago MTV ran a series of articles on "What you don't know about American Idol" that were really good. Can't find them just now; search on MTV was unavailable.

Good info--for example, that's where we learned that Simon's vote is 2x the value of Randy's or Pauls's vote in determining the top 24, etc.

Corvis 3130 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

02-22-08, 10:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Corvis Click to send private message to Corvis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Questions for the regular fans of AI"
I have never heard the 2x thing before.

If Simon's vote is 2x Randy or Paula in the Top 24, that bit about how he wanted Nerdy Politician Guy over Colton doesn't make sense. And if it's 2x then we'd have ties. Three judges means there will always be a majority. I don't get it.

02-22-08, 12:42 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Questions for the regular fans of AI"
LAST EDITED ON 02-22-08 AT 12:43 PM (EST)

Totally fascinating! I checked out the URLs and other info. Sounds like the producers decide in advance.

Can you tell who it is this year?????????

I really appreciate the info!!!

Thank you!

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

02-22-08, 12:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Questions for the regular fans of AI"
You can pretty much tell by the judges comments. The faves (I don't think they've narrowed it down to just one yet) will be majorly praised if they even do a halfway decent job. And if they happen to gak it up one night, the criticism will be very minor. No "horrendous" or "abysmal" from Simon.

02-22-08, 01:04 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Questions for the regular fans of AI"
Judge comments are telling. Sometimes who gets the "pimp" spot is telling. Usually you do want someone who did really well that week to close the show, but often the ones that get it are the overly praised ones.

Most people will remember the last performance more than any other, so that tends to make you more likely to get votes, and sometimes it becomes obvious that they won't give the pimp spot to someone no matter how well they do.

Sometimes you see favoritism in what they get for accompaniment. Some people seem to get a lot of memorable music and stuff than others.

Agman's like a brother, Your best friend forever, Making the sigs, the sigs that you like.

Iconoclastic 151 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

02-22-08, 01:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Iconoclastic Click to send private message to Iconoclastic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Questions for the regular fans of AI"
"Can you tell who it is this year?????????"

Keep an eye on Carly Smithson, Syesha Mercado and Michael Johns.

02-22-08, 02:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Questions for the regular fans of AI"
Add David Cook and Rameile (sp?) to that list, too.

02-22-08, 02:24 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Questions for the regular fans of AI"
Paula lists her favorites in this interview. link

"There are some definite standouts," Abdul told reporters in a conference call yesterday. "You can't deny David Archuleta and Jason Castro's magic. And Michael Johns, and Alaina Whitaker and Ramiele and Syesha and Carly ... I would be crushed to lose any of them."

Agman's like a brother, Your best friend forever, Making the sigs, the sigs that you like.

02-22-08, 02:38 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Questions for the regular fans of AI"
A shorter list are ones that Paula DOESN'T like.

02-22-08, 02:45 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Questions for the regular fans of AI"
I didn't really watch the early audition rounds and only watched the top 24 reveal and this week's shows.

So far, my guess is Michael Johns. He is marketable. He won't embarrass them, can sing, has stage presence, experience, etc.

I think David A. is the early-fav; that is, the one they talk up for now while they slowly build the interest in the "real" choice. More thoughts to come in the pimpage thread...but last night Michael Johns was one of the guys who got a solo sing out --with other guys clustered around him like back up singers.

Do you recall the group shot of the top 24? Guess who is in the very middle of the shot? That's right. Michael Johns.

I am waiting for some interviews from Nigel and will watch the singing order. Boots last year came predominanly from people who were in the first half of the show.

Two years ago Taylor and Kat were the last to sing on their respective top 12 boys and girls nights. As we know, they were the final two their year. Last year that pattern did not hold.

I'd have to research Bo and Carrie's year to see where their slots were at the same point in the show but my gut instinct is that Bo was one of the later performers that night.

02-22-08, 03:08 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Questions for the regular fans of AI"
Somebody (TODDLJ?) had a chart kind of thing that predicted vote-offs based on when a contestant did or didn't appear in the bottom 3. It doesn't come into effect until the final 10, but it was pretty interesting. Maybe at final 10 time I'll dig into the archives and bump it back up.

02-22-08, 05:46 PM (EST)
21. "RE: Questions for the regular fans of AI"
Is that the theory where if you are in the bottom 3 you are usually safe the following week, but at risk of being voted off the second week?

02-22-08, 03:28 PM (EST)
18. "RE: Questions for the regular fans of AI"
LAST EDITED ON 02-22-08 AT 03:30 PM (EST)

I found the article on MTV; it's part 2 of their series, written in 2005.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1502813/20050523/id_0.jhtml

Here is a snippet that describes how Simon gets more than one vote:

"In choosing the semifinalists, the three judges each got one vote and the producers of the show got a fourth. Simon Cowell decided when it was a tie. "

So, essentially, Simon gets to vote 2x compared to Paula's or Randy's votes.

Here is part one of their series, written in 2004:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1487448/20040525/id_1235723.jhtml

and part three of their series, written in 2006:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1532192/20060519/id_0.jhtml

Corvis 3130 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

02-22-08, 03:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Corvis Click to send private message to Corvis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Questions for the regular fans of AI"
I didn't realize the producers have a vote! That's really interesting. Thanks for the links, Zazzy.

So in the case of Nerdy Politician vs. Colton, the producers, Randy and Paula all must have voted Nerdy Politician. That was a bad move! Should have listened to Simon.

02-22-08, 03:47 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Questions for the regular fans of AI"
I'm guessing that Paula and Randy voted for Nerdy guy and Simon and producers voted for Colton. When there is a tie, Simon chooses. He chose Colton. Remember as those two walked away from the judges' table after learning their fate Simon said something about regretting his decision?

(and I don't think it was really Colton vs. Nerdy guy...I think it was Nerdy guy versus the other 12 and they already had one or two other nerdish guys and didn't want a third. One of the nerdish guys I'm thinking of is the Moon River guy. I think they made it out to be Colton vs. Nerd to make it a bigger contrast for TV.)

And the producers getting a vote? Hell, yes! That plays right into the archetype thread! I think they propped up Chikeze last night by suggesting he was at risk to be booted...and they want to build some support for him so they have an African-American guy in the top 12. Just like they tried to build some support for Kristy Lee Cook by making it seem like she could be at risk, too.

ulalame 778 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

02-22-08, 08:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ulalame Click to send private message to ulalame Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Questions for the regular fans of AI"
Simon was the one who voted for nerdy politician. It must have been Paula/Randy/Producers who voted for Colton.

zombiebaby 7356 desperate attention whore postings

03-04-08, 04:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zombiebaby Click to send private message to zombiebaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "Really?"
There are actual fans of this show?

Arkie's Art! He's real and he is looking for you!
"Bigfoot making the crop circles would expain a lot. Those size feet could tromp a lot over a night."~SurveySez

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •