The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Looking for a college"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

universityofkentuckyrocks 2575 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

01-13-06, 07:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail universityofkentuckyrocks Click to send private message to universityofkentuckyrocks Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Looking for a college"
In a couple of weeks, I’ll officially begin the applying for college process. I need some tips about what to do and not to do. I have some college choices that are below.

Have any of you taken the ACT before? What’s the best advice for when you take the ACT? I’ll be taking the ACT at my school on February 11, so I won’t need directions.

I won’t be taking the SAT because Kentucky schools do not accept the SAT. You have to take the ACT or they won’t accept you. I heard my state is the only state that doesn’t accept the SAT. I’m not going to take it because; obviously, it’s a waste of time.

College Visits? What should I be focusing on when I go for a campus visit? My dad wants to set up these visits during spring break. Is there any good question for me to ask that you or your kid used to help you to pick your best school?

My major is going to be sports journalism; I am a member of the school newspaper. I’ll, likely be an editor in chief next year since there are only, a couple of juniors in the class.

The three schools I am looking at. Note, I will be going to a state school because I lvoe Kentucky and I’m not ready to leave the Bluegrass State, but I will NOT attend any school in Louisville, its time to experience another part of this state. My choices in order.

1. University of Kentucky- Located in Lexington, Kentucky. Why? Because both of my parents went to school there and I have been there numerous time. It also only an hour and a half away from home. It has been a lifelong dream to go there. The Journalism school is solid and second best in the state.

2. Western Kentucky- Located in Bowling Green, Kentucky This school is located right on the Tennessee and Kentucky border. It’s a new time zone. It is considered the best journalism school in Kentucky. It has a great program. The trip home is only two hours, not a bad drive home.

3. Murray State- located in Murray, Kentucky. The school is located is located in Southwestern Kentucky and is right by the Tennessee state line. Once it’s in a new time zone. The journalism school is ok. It’s not the best. The trip home would about four and a half hours long. I would be driving off the interstate for quite a bit. The closest interstate is about 45 minutes away. Its has a good learning disability program, that’s why I’ll consider it. The thing is less trips home.

The reasons I would like to be close to home is to be able to go to a couple of football games for my high school. I would be able to go to the biggest rivalry game in the nation. I am close to my parents. I am also able to go and see my Dad’s relatives whenever they get together. That’s why I would prefer WKU or UK.

What did you look for in the college search process? Looking forward to seeing the advice in this thread.

ukrocks got a blog!

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Looking for a college cqvenus 01-13-06 1
   RE: Looking for a college universityofkentuckyrocks 01-13-06 5
   RE: Looking for a college HistoryDetective 01-13-06 15
 RE: Looking for a college syren 01-13-06 2
 RE: Looking for a college J Slice 01-13-06 3
   RE: Looking for a college Fishercat 01-13-06 8
 RE: Looking for a college DooWahDitty 01-13-06 4
   RE: Looking for a college universityofkentuckyrocks 01-13-06 7
       RE: Looking for a college DooWahDitty 01-14-06 17
           RE: Looking for a college universityofkentuckyrocks 01-14-06 19
               RE: Looking for a college DooWahDitty 01-14-06 20
                   RE: Looking for a college universityofkentuckyrocks 01-14-06 21
 RE: Looking for a college Fishercat 01-13-06 6
   RE: Looking for a college universityofkentuckyrocks 01-13-06 9
       RE: Looking for a college Fishercat 01-13-06 10
       RE: Looking for a college anotherkim 01-13-06 14
           RE: Looking for a college universityofkentuckyrocks 01-14-06 18
               RE: Looking for a college anotherkim 01-14-06 25
                   RE: Looking for a college HistoryDetective 01-14-06 26
                       RE: Looking for a college anotherkim 01-14-06 33
                           RE: Looking for a college HistoryDetective 01-14-06 35
                       RE: Looking for a college geg6 01-16-06 43
                   RE: Looking for a college universityofkentuckyrocks 01-14-06 28
                       RE: Looking for a college anotherkim 01-14-06 34
                           RE: Looking for a college Snidget 01-15-06 36
                               RE: Looking for a college DooWahDitty 01-15-06 37
                                   RE: Looking for a college Snidget 01-15-06 38
                               RE: Looking for a college Fishercat 01-15-06 39
           RE: Looking for a college Sunny_Bunny 01-14-06 27
 RE: Looking for a college DooWahDitty 01-13-06 11
 RE: Looking for a college DooWahDitty 01-13-06 12
   RE: Looking for a college cqvenus 01-13-06 13
       RE: Looking for a college SherpaDave 01-14-06 16
           RE: Looking for a college PepeLePew13 01-14-06 24
 RE: Looking for a college StarryLuna 01-14-06 22
   RE: Looking for a college HistoryDetective 01-14-06 23
       RE: Looking for a college StarryLuna 01-14-06 29
       RE: Looking for a college Fishercat 01-14-06 30
 RE: Looking for a college kathliam 01-14-06 31
 RE: Looking for a college Fishercat 01-14-06 32
 Ratios, UK. Check the ratios newsomewayne 01-16-06 40
   RE: Ratios, UK. Check the ratios Cygnus X1 01-16-06 41
 RE: Looking for a college geg6 01-16-06 42

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

cqvenus 9765 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-13-06, 08:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cqvenus Click to send private message to cqvenus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Looking for a college"

you should ask about everything that is important to -you- in a school.

here are some suggestions:

if you plan to have a car, you should ask if freshmen are allowed to have cars. if they charge for parking. where you get to keep your car.

when they show dorms, they usually show the nicest ones they have. be sure to ask where the -freshmen- usually live, and make sure you get to look at those, too.

for safety, be sure your room has a KEY not a CODE. and check the bathrooms to see how gross they are. ask what kinds of items are not allowed in your rooms (usually candles and stuff like that but some schools don't let you have microwaves or mini fridges, either!).

if you're a library studier, see the libraries. ask where they have wireless connections on campus (if you're into that stuff). ask what the hours are like.

see the dining hall(s). ask a student who lives there who isn't giving the tour what the food is like.

ask how many students your advisor has assigned to him/her. ask if you get accepted directly to your degree program or if everyone is 'undeclared major' and then has to fight each other in 2 years to actually be accepted into their program of study (for you, journalism).

ask if printing is free with your tuition and if there's a page limit.

ask how much the fees are (like technology fee, transportation fee, student activity fee) and if any of these are optional or if all are required. (this your parents will probably care about more than you).

ask how many freshmen don't come back the next year or even the next semester.

ask how big classes are.
ask if TAs teach or if professors teach.
ask if your professors speak english as a first language. (trust me, it can matter, especially in a huge class of 300 students). ask to meet with someone in the journalism dept and find out what classes you'd typically take the first year.
ask then which professors suck and which are good.
ask which classes suck and which are good.
also see this site for professor ratings at your school. but that site is more useful when you have already selected a college and are registering for classes.

ummm... if there's anything else you think is important criterion for selecting your school, ask away! and most importantly, do not be embarrassed to ask questions of your tour guide or anyone else. the vast majority of universities are FOR-profit institutions, which means you are a potential customer, and you are competetive shopping between institutions. you should have every single question you want answered before you make the decision. and if there's anything you wish you asked but didn't, call the school and find out later. or go back for another visit, which i recommend anyway.

good luck!

~ cq

01-13-06, 09:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail universityofkentuckyrocks Click to send private message to universityofkentuckyrocks Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Looking for a college"
I will more than likely have a car in college, so i can get around the cities. I have my permit and will be getting my license in about a month.

My parents have already said the graduation gift my sister (she's only in 8th grade) and I will be receiveing is a laptop, when graduating from high school so that shouldn't be a problem.

ukrocks got a blog!

HistoryDetective 9516 desperate attention whore postings

01-13-06, 11:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HistoryDetective Click to send private message to HistoryDetective Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Looking for a college"
LAST EDITED ON 01-14-06 AT 07:48 AM (EST)

ask a student who lives there who isn't giving the tour what the food is like.

That's the real key. Don't trust the indoctrination orientation leader to tell you what the school is like because they have all been brainwashed to give you scripted answers that talk about all the strengths and none of the shortcomings. Talk to other students that you seek out on your own.

ask if TAs teach or if professors teach.

Many graduate student teaching assistants are more than competent and will show more interest in your progress as a student than some professors will. Don't make assumptions about an instructor based on whether s/he is ABD or PhD. Again, this is a case in which you need to ask a current student (not your tour guide!) about the quality of instruction received from both teaching assistants and faculty.

ETA: If it matters to you that you not be taught by a lowly teaching assistant, then you need to check on some other things as well.

Are any classes taught by graduate student instructors (graduate students responsible for the entire class, not just acting as teaching assistants) as part of their professional training? If so, what level are these graduate student instructors? Have they taken their comprehensive exams yet? Are they ABD (All But Dissertation --- passed their comprehensive exams, have read the books and articles important in their field (often more recently than the faculty who administered the comprehensive exams), have significant research experience in their discipline)?

What kind of professor is teaching the course? Is it an assistant professor in his first year or two out of graduate school? If his school had a bias against letting graduate students teach, then you may be getting somebody with little classroom experience, perhaps a glorified graduate student teaching assistant until s/he gets a few more years of teaching experience. On the other hand, an assistant professor could have previously gained teaching experience and might be very innovative in his/her teaching style. That would certainly be preferable to a professor who has had full tenure for three decades and now only teaches from the same lecture notes that s/he has used for years. (I'd take the teaching assistant who wants to be in the classroom any day over the full professor who thinks that it is a chore to work with undergraduates because it take him/her away from his/her research, the "important" part of the job.)

Are courses taught by a member of the department, whether it be an assistant, associate, or full professor, or by an adjunct professor that the department refuses to hire fulltime and instead pays peanuts to teach specific courses? If the college uses lots of adjunt professors, ask why it won't take the steps necessary to create fully-staffed and viable departments. Be sure to realize that adjunct professors may be teaching courses at more than one college in the area just to make ends meet. If an adjunct professor (at least it's not a graduate student) is overworked from running from college to college doing mercenary teaching, then you need to consider the quality of instruction you will receive in that situation.

Perhaps instead of worrying about whether or not you will be taught by graduate students or professors, you should ask about the quality of the instruction received in lecture courses, classes with discussion sections, courses with labs, and smaller seminars.

Sigs by Tribephyl and Syren. Bouncie by IceCat. One and Only WeinerGuy.
journal

syren 5418 desperate attention whore postings

01-13-06, 08:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail syren Click to send private message to syren Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Looking for a college"
Most states do not require you take the SAT if you are staying in state, I don't think. When I attended WVU, all they wanted was the ACT scores, however I also took the SAT for scholarship and grant purposes.

J Slice 13166 desperate attention whore postings

01-13-06, 08:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail J%20Slice Click to send private message to J%20Slice Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Looking for a college"
First, I bought US News and World Report's College Guide... a complete one. It's huge, and lists EVERY COLLEGE AND UNIVERSITY IN THE STATES. Very Very helpful.

The book lets you know what to expect re: the competition-level from fellow students, party school/non-party school, athletic focused/study focused... and it tells you what each school's specialties are.

After jotting down some school names (my beginning list was something like 20 schools), check out each school's website. Read all the information you can about student life. Check your chosen department-of-interest's webpage; find out about professors.

You should be able to wheedle these down. Since you're only looking at Kentucky schools, it'll be especially easy for you to go visit campuses... that's really the best way to see things.

Warm wishes from Skadi

Fishercat 4168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

01-13-06, 09:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fishercat Click to send private message to Fishercat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Looking for a college"
I forgot to mention this in my post, so I'll echo what Slice said. Get some guide books. There are many good choices out there depending on what you're looking for. Collegeboard puts out a pure factbook, much like the website but easier to read. Slice's suggestion is better for actual life information.

DooWahDitty 1615 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

01-13-06, 08:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DooWahDitty Click to send private message to DooWahDitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Looking for a college"
Hi UK, it sounds like your choices are really between #1 and #2.

Because you seem like a person who highly values relationships and personal interaction, I would choose the school where you feel the most comfortable interpersonally. This week I have been realizing that I have found the absolute appropriate school for me (after one misfire) and I am very, very happy. What really matters to me is the quality of the professors and how personable and accessible they are, and how much in love with the material they are. IMO, you also want to be with students who are on fire for their chosen field, and who desire camaraderie with classmates.

My kid is a year ahead of you in school, and while he's at a really good university (Cal Poly San Luis Obispo) and in an absolutely beautiful area, he complains that there are too many students in each class and not enough professor accessibility. He also doesn't particularly like his dorm (and last week his $650 bike got stolen from the racks in front. Do not take an expensive bike to school.) He doesn't like the dorms because they're too big and impersonal. (He's the quiet type, so you may not have the problem he's had in getting to know people.)

Also, he feels like a just a number. Are the class sizes manageable or out of control? Is the professor accessible? Truly? Are they rushed, preoccupied, or patient and focused on you when you're there? If there are TA/s, are they nice and reasonably unharried? Try to find out beforehand who your advisor will be and assess these qualities.

My kid's school is also the type that gives tests or quizzes at each class -- rather than focusing on discussion, weekly paper writing, one major oral presentation, and one major final paper. The foregoing is the way it is done in many schools nowadays. So you need to figure out which school has the best method of teaching for you - not just in your chosen field of journalism, but for most of the core requirements and outcomes as well.

Another thing you want to think about is networking and building relationships with people in your chosen field from the very beginning. Does the school have a professional fraternity (i.e., UC Davis has a fraternity that all pre-vet students join). My school has the graduate program I intend to enroll in and by the time I enter, I will know most of the people involved both on an administrative level and a peer level.

Last, I took the ACT in the dark ages. It wasn't very difficult, though as I expected, I did terribe in math and science, and superior in English and other related skills. Things may have changed, but my impression is that the ACT is a much more lightweight test than the SAT.

01-13-06, 09:36 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Looking for a college"
Is your son a high school senior or a college student?

Meeting people, ask my parents about that. I have no problem meeting new people. I am not a quiet person. i lvoe talking to people. I prolly won't have a problem with the size of each student. That just doesn't bother me.

But I do want good teachers though.

ukrocks got a blog!

01-14-06, 00:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail DooWahDitty Click to send private message to DooWahDitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Looking for a college"
Hi again UK. My son is a freshman at California Polytechnic University, San Luis Obispo, on the central California coast.

What AKim said is very true re: (1) home visits, and (2) paying Uni prices for classes you don't get credit for.

Once you really get into your new life at school, you won't be thinking much about home. My daughter went away to San Diego State a year ago last September. Within 4 months, she began considering San Diego her new - and indefinite - home. She barely made it through Christmas break this year. Just wanted to get back to her life, job and friends in San Diego.

As for classes, select them carefully. 2-3 W's are OK but more than that doesn't look good. If you can knock off certain lower division classes cheaply at a nearby community college while at Uni, do it. The financial aid hoops are a nightmare but you will save a boatload of money on student loans. Money saved can be utilized for graduate school, which certainly you will need, no? (I don't know anything about sports journalism.)

Whatever you decide, good luck with the process of your decision, and your experience at college!

01-14-06, 01:40 AM (EST)
19. "RE: Looking for a college"
Money shouldn't be a problem. We are actually saving money. Thats what a Catholic education does. So my parents have said they'll pay for it.

ukrocks got a blog!

01-14-06, 02:23 AM (EST)
20. "RE: Looking for a college"
In that case determine which school has the best classes (community college or university). Just cuz it's a university doesn't necessarily make the classes any better at the lower division level. (Remember, I'm talkin' the classes AKim was referring to. The early, lower division, core requirements, nuts and bolts stuff.)

Somebody said something (FCat?) about scholarships and loans being good at private schools. I have found this to be true. And the warning about choosing a school for a major only was a good one. My kid is enrolled at the School of Business. Snort. He'll never last in that program. He's an outdoorsman all the way. And he hates corporate mind games. So fortunately he's at the right school because they have all kinds of excellent programs and degrees for people with outdoor interests. You sound pretty set on journalism, and it seems like you've already started the process by having a mentor of sorts in high school. So the warning may not really apply to you though it was a good idea in general.

01-14-06, 02:33 AM (EST)
21. "RE: Looking for a college"
I take a class on Newspaper Journalism and I lvoe the class. I am mainly the sports guy, thats what they call me.

ukrocks got a blog!

01-13-06, 09:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fishercat Click to send private message to Fishercat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Looking for a college"
OK, assuming you refuse to change your mind about even thiking about leaving Kentucky (honestly, can't hurt to look. Could be good to see somewhere else). I'll go step by step

ACT: I never took the ACT, but here are some general, test-taking tips that helped me. For refence, I did not study a bit, and I had base (verbal + math on the SAT I) scores of 1410 and 1460 respectively on the test.

A. Get a good night's sleep. Honestly, I cannot think of any situation truly worth, on a Friday night, justifying getting 4 hours of sleep instead of 7.

B. RELAX. I cannot stress this enough. There are many things in life to stress about, this isn't one. I was more nervous about the second one than the first one, and on the whole, I did worse.

C. Just my opinion, get a baseline before you do serious training or anything. Some people need help with standardized tests. They stress, they are slower/meticulous workers, they don't get it. Some don't. Give yourself an unprepared test (junior year would be good) and see where you are, and if you're happy.

Those are my three tips. If anyone can find the quote from Mr. Feeny to Eric Matthews about the keys to the SAT, he's right.

If you decide not to leave Kentucky public schools, then don't take the SAT, but if you do, take it.

College Visits: IMO, the best part of this process. They're fun, informative, and you get some walking in. The way I went about, and there are many ways, enjoy it, be yourself. If you're normally quiet, act as you would normally and see what you want to see. The only thing I would recommend is that you see an example of everything you would be interested in. One school didn't show us a dorm room, fatal mistake. One school explained why they couldn't, but I asked if the guide could show us and she did, good move. Enjoy the time there, get anything you need in materials. I can't do what the Gilmore Girls did and make pro/con lists, I go with my gut and if I like it. If I don't, I don't. These, more than anything, made or broke my application decision. My three best visits are my top three schools, my two worst (one was bad, one was mediocre) I didn't apply to. IMO, college visits aren't so much for asking questions, rather getting experience.

Major: Luckily, you can change majors in college. You may want to go into journalism now, that's fine, and UofK is actually quite good for that kind of thing. Keep your mind open.

Major Considerations
A. Reach. Match. Safety. Here's a personal thought, unless all of those are pretty much locks and you are SURE you want to go there if you get in, then look elsewhere and find some other choices, either easier or harder based on grades, tests, ECs, etc. You should be fine, but so many students under or overreach their potential that it's dangerous or disappointing.

B. School Visits. Until I get my picks down to 2-3, the serious visits won't kick in. However, use your information tour/campus tour well. If you have any questions to be answered, ask, but I wouldn't make some up at this point for the sake of asking a question. Do that in an interview if need be. Enjoy yourself, and if you can't do that, you can almost be sure either you're nervous or nothing's right.

C. Focus on Junior and Senior Year. A story, I have a friend named Mike. He was absolutely brillant for the first two years and levelled off a bit. He has a 3.8 GPA, good SATs, very devoted Church life (will be a priest). On the other hand, I have a 3.3 GPA, great SATs, and no real guide. I want to go into history/education. We both applied to a small, local, Catholic school, both got in with the same offers in terms of scholarships, and he applied Early Decision to boot, I applied regular. Why did someone with a B/B+ average and similar ECs with an edge in test scores get the same as a Church-devoted A-/A student? The last two years. Since junior year, we flipped a bit. I have done very well for myself, I stepped up. He levelled off when he moved up in classes. Colleges want an upward trend, because they believe they get Senior Year instead of Freshman usually, and typically a person will be rewarded for that upward trend from what I've heard.

D. Talk to your guidance counselor this year, get a plan in action, give a basic outline on what you want to do.

E. Do what you want. Sure, it's great to consider your parents, I suggest you do, and let them help you. However, when push comes to shove, you'll be spending 4+ years there and not anyone else will. Take everything into consideration. It may be worth it to sacrifice a little happiness or flexibility (not much) to save money or get what you need.

Trust me, it's not nearly as daunting as people make it seem at times. Just keep your grades up, keep your extra-cirriculars on track, and enjoy your time in high school.

01-13-06, 09:43 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Looking for a college"
LAST EDITED ON 01-13-06 AT 09:46 PM (EST)

The reason I'm not leavoing Kentucky public schools is that UK and Western are both top journalism schools. They both have respectable newspaper. Plus the money situation is part of it. In-sate is cheaper. I'm starting to lean on Western more than UK because it has won so many awards for journalism. my journalsim teacher reccomends that school.

If I could get into the Univeristy of Missouri, i would go there. but i know an ACT of a 30 will not happen. On the practice ACT's I went from 15 -17.

GPA is 3.67. But the level of classes I take might hurt me. I'm in the 3rd lowest/highest of five programs. Average person.

I know I wouldn't be happy at any of the Indiana school or Tennesee schools because, well some students have had some bad experiences.

ETA: For me, happy would be close to home for now. This is that first to getting out of Kentucky. I hope to live in another city and state some day.

ukrocks got a blog!

01-13-06, 09:51 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Looking for a college"
Dangerous assumption. It's typically true, but not always in terms of in-state, public schools being cheaper than any other type. Base cost is cheaper of course, but a lot of private schools are quite a bit better in financial aid and merit awards, and many times, when everything is done, they'll be close.

Personally, I think it's dangerous to make a choice based purely on a major. Give yourself some solid, all-around options. What if you get there, and you find out you don't like journalism, and you went to WKU. Nice school, but what if UK had more options or better options in other fields you're looking at.

GPA is re-calculated by every school based on their own scale. From school to school, scales are weird, a B+ at my school is an A at others, a D- may be a C. Plus the reputation of the school matters. Are grades inflated? Does "C" mean average, or below-average to everyone? I know some schools (I was told this by a Keene State rep) do look skeptically on extreme test scores in relation to schools. If I have a 2000 SAT, but a 2.5 GPA, they'll think I just test really well and I'm a slacker/can't apply. If I have a 4.0 GPA but a below average SAT, they may look into the school and see grade inflation.

Never assume you wouldn't be happy somewhere because of some people's experiences. People are different. I mean, I could tell a person I simply didn't like St. John's College in Maryland, I didn't have a good time on a two-night visit. Or that I had a bad experience in junior high, but it varies from person to person. Every school has a ##### or thousand.

anotherkim 14420 desperate attention whore postings

01-13-06, 11:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail anotherkim Click to send private message to anotherkim Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Looking for a college"
LAST EDITED ON 01-13-06 AT 11:26 PM (EST)

based on what you've said about your academics, I would suggest that you lean toward Western or Murray or another smaller school in-state, at least for the first two years. The shock of going to college is going to be significant as it is and in a larger school, you can get lost in the shuffle. Also, you really need to get that ACT score up pronto or else you may end up in remedial courses which mean that you'll be paying for classes that you won't get credit in. What was your score in English? Math?

Also, I wouldn't put too much emphasis on being close to home for visits. You will be meeting new people and starting an entire new life. Those visits will become much less important to you when you are on campus and involved in activities there.

Miscellaneous Ramblings
--UT Knoxville, Class of 1991 and Middle Tennessee, Class of 1993

01-14-06, 01:30 AM (EST)
18. "RE: Looking for a college"
LAST EDITED ON 01-14-06 AT 01:31 AM (EST)

I'm used to being around 1400 students everyday. If we weren't just an all boy school we would have 2800 students. My school has said, if you can handle the size here, you can probably handle the size at UK or UofL.

ETA: English was a 21, Math was a 15, Reading was a 19, and Science was a 16. This was taken at the beginning of sophomore year though. its a year and a half later.

ukrocks got a blog!

01-14-06, 10:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail anotherkim Click to send private message to anotherkim Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Looking for a college"

When do you take the ACT again?

Socially, I wouldn't think that the size of the college would be an issue, but I was thinking more along the lines of class size and instructor attention. Larger schools generally mean less individual attention at the intrductory level in the required courses (not always, of course). I had lectures at UT that had 250 people in the class. There was no way to get one-on-one help.

If you do not have strong reading and writing skills, then I think you are going to be a disadvantage in a larger school, at least for the first year or two when you are taking the huge "weed-out" courses that they stick the freshmen and sophomores in.

Miscellaneous Ramblings
--I'm always glad to see an English score above 20 .

01-14-06, 10:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail HistoryDetective Click to send private message to HistoryDetective Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Looking for a college"
Larger schools generally mean less individual attention at the intrductory level in the required courses (not always, of course).

I agree that this can be the case --- but once you start college you need to take responsibility for your own education. Don't assume that because you are in a large survey class that you can't have contact with the instructor. Professors hold office hours every week precisely so students can visit them with questions and concerns. Far too few students, however, ever take the time or make the effort to visit their professors. Assistance is available, but you have to be willing to ask for it.

Sigs by Tribephyl Seana and Syren. Bouncie by IceCat. One and Only WeinerGuy.
journal

01-14-06, 05:22 PM (EST)
33. "RE: Looking for a college"
LAST EDITED ON 01-14-06 AT 05:23 PM (EST)

I agree with you to a point, HD, but IMO, there is still a vast difference in a class that has 250 people and one that has 25-40 and no amount of office hour interaction can change that.

I do totally agree with you that it is the student's responsibility to seek out the professor. As a teacher, it amazes me how many kiddos think that I can read minds.

Miscellaneous Ramblings
--For example: How the FVCK should I be able to just divine if the 30 on a quiz means that you didn't read or does it mean that didn't understand the material if you didn't ask any questions or let me know that you needed help?

edited for a typo

01-14-06, 07:32 PM (EST)
35. "RE: Looking for a college"
I agree. I wasn't trying to say that a class of 250 was the same as one of 25. I just wanted to stress that a class of 250 does not need to be as isolating as some students let it be.

journal

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

01-16-06, 09:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
43. "RE: Looking for a college"
I'm with Kimmah on this one HD.

As an undergrad at Pitt, I had a chemistry class with over 350 students in it. Even for a student like me with no significant educational challenges, it was extremely difficult for me to learn in a class that large. And even when I sought help (and I don't in any way blame the faculty member for this), an instructor teaching 4 or 5 classes of that size (or even one or two) has some difficulty making time to meet with everyone who requests help. And it also, even if it is only a psychological effect, a more positive learning experience when a professor actually knows your name or face.

I'm such a slut for the blues.

01-14-06, 11:47 AM (EST)
28. "RE: Looking for a college"
I take my "first real" ACT test on February 11. My school has ACT prep classes for all sophomore and junior year every Firday in math, english, and science. They say it will help us and thats why the average score is a 24. Yep, I heard about the 200-400 people in a class course. My parents both had several of those.

ukrocks got a blog!

01-14-06, 05:25 PM (EST)
34. "RE: Looking for a college"

good luck! The main thing is to FINISH everything. Don't leave anything blank. So many people don't get finished with the reading and the science sections and that's a total score killer.

Miscellaneous Ramblings
--I would hate to think of taking that stupid test again, blessyourheart.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

01-15-06, 09:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
36. "RE: Looking for a college"
Yep the not finishing thing can really be a killer.

The thing that helped the most for me in a test taking skills class (and I am naturally good at taking tests) was the concept that if you can skip a question and come back to it (some of the new computer based standarized tests do not let you do it) sometimes it is in your best interest to move on.

Basically you don't want to miss answering all the really easy questions you can get right because you wasted a lot of time on a really hard question that you may never figure out. Unless the format of the test forces you to do it in order, it usually helps to answer all the questions you really know the answer for first, then do the ones you have to think about. And even if you have to take it in order notice when you are spending way too long on a single question and bale out with a guess before you waste too much time on it.

Also work on making sure you work on being able to figure out what question they are asking. Sometimes reading a question to fast and missing the "not" in "which of the following is not" can cause some pretty major mistakes. Along the same line if they have the read a coule of paragraphs and then answer questions, if you can read the questions before you read the selection do that. If you know what things to pay attention to in a reading selection it can make things go faster.

Also, since most of these are multiple choice, if you don't know for sure what the answer is, see if you can look at the answers and figure out which ones are likely to be completely wrong. If you have to guess, guess smart, not random.

Imaginary friends by Bob!

01-15-06, 12:49 PM (EST)
37. "RE: Looking for a college"
Snidget, your post makes me wonder if they have now designed the SAT and ACT to function much like the current GRE test does - where one is timed and given a timeframe within which one should be answering questions and moving on. This is new within the past year or two, and there are classes designed to help one pace themselves. Not all that expensive, either.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

01-15-06, 01:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
38. "RE: Looking for a college"
I wasn't sure if the SAT's or ACT's have gone the way of the GRE. I know when I was talking to someone about the GREs recently they said in the new computer system you can't come back to something once you move on (which I think is a pain as sometimes if I keep going on a test something later in the test makes something click in my head about an early question).

I suspect as time goes on they will do more and more of these on the computer rather than paper and pencil.

01-15-06, 01:54 PM (EST)
39. "RE: Looking for a college"
The SAT is still on paper (unless they have some different type for some disabilities), questions are segmented into three subjects, and then again into smaller sectors for each subject. So yeah, as long as you have time, you can skip within the section. So you can go from Section 1, Question 22 to Section 1, Question 7, but not to Section 2.

Sunny_Bunny 5597 desperate attention whore postings

01-14-06, 11:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Sunny_Bunny Click to send private message to Sunny_Bunny Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Looking for a college"
I have to ditto Kim’s advice, but I also wanted to add a couple of things. If you choose to do the Jr. Collage route for some of your lower division classes, that will also help to deflect a lower ACT/SAT score. My oldest Son, who is completing his sophomore year had lower entrance scores, but has pulled off 4.0s every semester since he started. He’s applied to Berkeley (my Alma Mater) and UCLA and was accepted by both because it was obvious that the test scores didn’t reflect his true abilities as a student. The great thing about this, is that the cash register wont start running on student loans till he transfers, and paying off 2 years instead of 4 will make the burden lighter for him.

My other advice is to make sure you really connect with your department, and your advisor. I declared Political Science from the beginning, and had definite ideas about what I wanted to do with it. The first time I met with my advisor after orientation, I remember going home and venting to my Mum about what a first class idiot he was when it came to women. I had asked him a question about internships, and it became very clear to me that he thought that I was in a mans field, and would most likely marry and forget I had a brain as soon as possible. Within a month of starting classes I really connected with another professor who, when I explained what had happened after orientation, quickly took me as her own. This woman pushed me to submit papers for competitions, to apply for every internship that came down the pike, and to join the political research team. What was great about this, was that every time I was pitted against one of those “men” of the other advisor in competition or for internships, I beat them. Also, in a discipline as competitive as journalism, I would suggest pumping the department for information on summer internships as soon as you start.

I don’t know about how well traveled you are, but I always advise my HS students to take advantage of any Study Abroad offers they may get for being on the deans/honors list once they get to college. The more you see of other cultures, the more you appreciate what we have here, and it is simply a great experience. Financial Aid usually covers some of the cost. This may be something you wont even consider at the moment, because of wanting to be close to home. Trust the people who have already told you this. Your need to go home will fade rather quickly as you make new friends, and get accustomed to the freedom that is scaring the heck out of you at the moment.

Good Luck in whichever school you attend!

01-13-06, 10:02 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Looking for a college"
After reading everybody else's posts, I have this to add:

My kid has a car at school, and it's parked not that close to the dorm, so that's an issue. So far so good as far as vandalism, theft, safety, etc. even though his bike was stolen after only 3 months. Be sure to sign up EARLY for a parking space. They are limited and once they are gone, they are gone. My kid procrastinated on this and his dad had to jump through all kinds of difficult hoops to get that taken care of (bonk on his head - he would absolutely kill me if I referred to him DittyBoy so I will refrain).

About bikes, if your campus is huge you're going to need one and want one. Cal Poly is too huge to walk between classes, so almost everyone who lives on campus has a bike. I think they should have pegs on the dorm room walls for bikes, but I learned this is not available or allowed at SLO for various reasons. But it should be.

Printing in the library is cheaper IMO, since mine charges 5 cents per page. For dorm/home printing, find a place that refills your personal ink cartridges for half price (I found a kiosk at a mall that works well for this purpose). With those two things you'll save a fortune in ink and paper (the library provides the paper for printouts). You want to look at what kind of facilities the library has, like cq said. Mine has absolutely everything you need because it's small and not near a town center. i.e., computers, printers, paper cutters, hole punchers, staplers, copiers, report binding machine, all kinds of music, film and media computers, etc. etc. etc. IMO a school's library reflects where their priorities are. My former uni. didn't have much of the above stuff. They expected students to find their own. In a time crunch, the above is life-and-sanity saving.

Visit the campuses at different times of day if possible and see how they feel to you. Mine has an old-fashioned Westminster Abbey chime every hour that is wonderful and peaceful.

Don't believe everything you hear from hearsay about a college. For example, I went to UC Davis years ago partly because I heard it was a big party school. Wrong. People studied their arses off there because most were trying to get into one of the 5 prof. schools. Find out what the demographic politically is. I would have gone to Lewis & Clark but the demographic is much younger and much more conservative politically than I would be comfortable with.

It's a lot to think about but it does all fall together when the right school presents itself. Since your heart is set on Kentucky, just pick the school that has the most things you want after making two columns - Assets and Liabilities - for each school in the running. If I had done that, I would have avoided a very time-consuming and frustrating mistake last year.

Another good resource beside the one Slice mentioned is the Princeton Review of colleges The Best 361 Colleges Very funny reading -- and very accurate according to my roomie... she went to Oberlin.

01-13-06, 10:06 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Looking for a college"
One final thing - there may be times when you are convinced you have made a mistake even if you thought you didn't when you finally chose THE ONE. Stick it out - at least a year - even if you're absolutely miserable. Chances are things will even out and you'll settle into happiness. My kid is not entirely convinced about Cal Poly but he's agreed that he needs to give it a year.

cqvenus 9765 desperate attention whore postings

01-13-06, 10:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cqvenus Click to send private message to cqvenus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Looking for a college"

yeah give it a year.

but also, if you do want to transfer, it isn't the end of the world. not even close. take it from someone who has gone through it.

~ cq

SherpaDave 8326 desperate attention whore postings

01-14-06, 00:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SherpaDave Click to send private message to SherpaDave Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Looking for a college"
Or take time off. Did that a couple times myself. College was the best six years of my life.

PepeLePew13 26138 desperate attention whore postings

01-14-06, 09:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Looking for a college"
Same here! Went to college for two years, decided to take a break, got a nice job and met my future 1st wife, and never 'got around to going back' after that. Wonder how different my life would have been if I stuck it out in college? I'd have met different people, had different careers, different 1st wife probably, etc. etc.

Really... you've just got to follow your instincts and only you (uofkrocks) can decide if it's the right place for you. Give it a year and keep your options open -- I'd strongly suggest taking a wide range of classes as possible in your first year and then adjust your courseload before your second year once you have determined if journalism is what you truly like. I went in with the idea that History would be my major and I left with a stronger interest in Psychology than in History.

Check out my Survivor Guatemala Finale episode summary

Scratch and sniff
"Tsk, tsk. Pepe's messing with the newbies again." Spidey, 3/30/05

StarryLuna 4771 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

01-14-06, 09:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail StarryLuna Click to send private message to StarryLuna Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Looking for a college"
LAST EDITED ON 01-14-06 AT 09:17 AM (EST)

As a former college tour guide (an Ambassador) and a freshmen mentor, I'll have you know they do not give scripted answers, despite what HD says. My organization wouldn't accept applicants who just read through the college catalog and gave the "required" answers when we interviewed them. A good tour guide will tell you about the school, it's history, and also share his/her personal reflections about life at the school. Feel free to ask the tour guide every single question you can - if he/she can't give you the answer, they will find someone who can. I know you're trying to schedule your campus visits during your spring break, but remember that's when everyone else is trying to visit too. See if you can talk your parents into taking a few days off from school and going during the middle of the week. Chances are, you'll be the only family in your tour group and you'll get a much more personalized tour. One of the best tours I ever gave lasted over two hours (I went to a school with a small campus so the average tour was only an hour.) It was one family and she knew she wanted to be a business major, so we spent over an hour walking around the business building, and several professors, as well as the department head, sat down with her and discussed her options. When I took the family back to the admissions office, they thought I'd gotten lost.

The best advice about choosing a college I can give is this - you'll know the moment you step on the campus if it's the right place for you. It will just feel right - like coming home.

I do agree with cq about trying to see a typical freshman dorm. We showed our own personal dorm rooms, which was fine my first two years when I lived in the dumpy building, but my last two years I wound up in the newest dorm on campus, which had larger rooms and newer furniture. The first time I visited the campus, I saw a room in a freshman dorm that had been built in the 70's, and it was fairly spacious, but I wound up in a dorm from the 30's & 40's (special housing for honors students) that was fairly rundown. Even my Dad was a little surprised. The funny thing was, I loved that old rundown dorm. It had the best atmosphere out of all the dorms.

ETA: I visited UK in Lexington once. The 2001 Ambassador conference was held there. Great campus and the food was good. The students were extremely friendly also.

Luna's Eclipses

01-14-06, 09:40 AM (EST)
23. "RE: Looking for a college"
We'll have to agree to disagree, Luna. I apologize for maligning all college tour guides. My comments were based on witnessing my best friend go through the training at University of Michigan as well as observing many tours at Johns Hopkins. I am sure that some guides do better than others at injecting their own personality and experiences into the tour. (I also know that when I was at American I was kept away from visiting students because my department thought I might be too "truthful" in answering questions. The campus visit is as much about public relations and marketing as it is about education.) Unfortunately, it seemed to be the case, especially at Michigan, that the administration and tour coordination staff felt there were specific answers and outlooks that were acceptable and others were not. It sounds like your university had a better framework for structuring their campus visit program and training its staff. Still, I don't think it hurts to seek out other students who are less conscious that they are acting as an "ambassador" for their school to get opinions that supplement what the guides have to say.

journal

Back on the marketing and public relations issue, many people at Hopkins believe that the university releases rabbits on campus in the early spring ... just in time for the campus visits. It's nice to have cute little bunnies hopping around the quad --- especially if it distracts visitors from the fact that they are on an urban campus. Whether or not the story is an urban legend, it is persistent. Whether or not is should be, higher education is a business.

StarryLuna 4771 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

01-14-06, 12:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail StarryLuna Click to send private message to StarryLuna Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Looking for a college"
LAST EDITED ON 01-14-06 AT 12:06 PM (EST)

Good point, HD. I was a little quick to jump the gun - as a tour guide, I was constantly defending myself to parents who felt I was just painting a pretty picture and not giving them the guts of college life. At the end of my tours, I always made sure to stress to the students that although I loved my college, it was important for the students to make up their own minds and I always wished them luck in their college application process, whether they chose my school or another.

Luna's EclipsesBiggest jerk parent ever on a tour: I was showing my dorm and stressing to the students that I lived in an upperclass dorm with a requirement of a 2.75 gpa to live there (it was the newest dorm after all.) I had told my group at the beginning of the tour that I was an art major. A father asked me "How does the school decide which students get in based on gpa?" I was confused so I asked him to clarify. He said "Well, you're an art major with over a 2.75 gpa, but how do they compare you to a real major like a computer science major with a 2.75 gpa?" I politely told him off, and at the end of the tour another parent came up to me and thanked me for standing up for art students.

01-14-06, 01:05 PM (EST)
30. "RE: Looking for a college"
Funny enough, it's likely not the only place that does the rabbit thing. This summer, I did a Vermont College visit. Only two schools, but both had animals on campus. One was unique in the thing that there were peacocks roaming around, part of a major project a former student did where he built an aviary and left the birds on campus.

The other one had the rabbits you describe. I saw at least two on a suburban campus, while near some forests, was surrounded by a fair sized city on the other three sides. I didn't think much of it at the time, but the rabbits certainly added some charm and were one of the few notable things of the school. So you make a good point there.

Still not applying since it didn't offer a single thing that I couldn't get three-hours closer to home and likely for cheaper, but that's beside the point.

kathliam 3669 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

01-14-06, 01:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kathliam Click to send private message to kathliam Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: Looking for a college"
You know, UK, you could come up and tour OSU and have a peep meet! In fact, you could arrange several such excuses for peep meets.

I chose a college for all the wrong reasons. I wanted to be as far from home as I could afford to be, and wanted a school with a larger student population than my high school. It was a fabulous institution (still is), but wasn't right for me and, as a result, I didn't finish.

01-14-06, 02:01 PM (EST)
32. "RE: Looking for a college"
On a happier note, the feeling of getting an acceptance letter to a college you really care about in the mail? Doesn't get a whole lot better than that for a piece of paper, unless it has winning lottery numbers on it and is not a fortune cookie message.

newsomewayne 9353 desperate attention whore postings

01-16-06, 08:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail newsomewayne Click to send private message to newsomewayne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
40. "Ratios, UK. Check the ratios"
I haven't read through the thread, so I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet. But check the female to male ratio of every school you are interested in. The higher that ratio, the greater desperation factor in the dating scene which increases your chances exponentially of "dating up".

This will also eliminate you from attending any engineering school in the country.

Winter sports by Tribephyl, 2005

Cygnus X1 7505 desperate attention whore postings

01-16-06, 08:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Cygnus%20X1 Click to send private message to Cygnus%20X1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
41. "RE: Ratios, UK. Check the ratios"
I don't think UKR has much to worry about. He'll be in demand.

It's-a-Mystic! (boogiewoogiewoogie)

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

01-16-06, 09:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
42. "RE: Looking for a college"
I haven't read any one else's answers, but as a university administrator who is intimately involve in the admissions process here, I have some suggestions.

First, campus visits are THE best way to help a student make a choice. It has been my experience, and all my colleagues will tell you the same thing, that post secondary success and satisfaction is intimately tied to what we in the business call "fit." Yes, academics and ranked programs are all important, but if a student does not feel happy and comfortable at the school then he/she will have a hard time being a success. The vast majority of students who either transfer here or who decide to transfer out will almost always cite "fit" as a major reason for making the change. Only a campus visit can give a student an idea of whether or not that "fit" may be there.

See if you can set up an overnight visit, if possible, during a time when the students are on campus. You can get a good idea of what the dorms are like, what residence life is like, wha the food service is like, what the social atmosphere is like, and the types of students (are they partiers? are they grinds? is it an avante-garde student body? Etc.) that attend.

Set up a meeting with a faculty member. If you know you want to major in journalism, meet with someone who actually teaches journalism.

Take a look at student/teacher ratios. Students like you with some learning challenges tend to do very well in smaller classrooms with lots of personal attention. You will find college much more challenging than high school, so you should give yourself the advantage of a personal relationship with your instructors.

Look at the facilities. Do they seem to be well-maintained? What is the level of technology available? Does the library provide widest possible range of information?

Speak to a financial aid officer. Ask about scholarships, the application process, deadline dates, whether or not the school has an arrangement with preferred lenders, payment options, cost of attendance, and available institutional funding.

If can think of anything else after I go back and read the other replies, I'll be back to add it.

I'm such a slut for the blues.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •