The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Not Surprised"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

canuklady 57 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

05-17-07, 12:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail canuklady Click to send private message to canuklady Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Not Surprised"
LAST EDITED ON 05-17-07 AT 12:29 PM (EST)

As disgused as I was by last night's results, I can't say I'm all that surprised. The producers have been promoting Jordin ahead of the others for weeks now. I don't think it's much of a stretch of the imagination to see that if Jordin was put up against Melinda one-on-one, Melinda would win. So the most obvious method to ensure crowning Jordin as the next AI winner is to have her compete against a weaker singer...Blake. It's a bit frustrating for those of us north of the boarder to not be able to vote for our favourite; we have to wait for our own CI to kick in. Whoever already posted that this year's finale may be the least watched in AI history may have hit the nail on the head. I have no further interest on who wins between Jordin and Blake and most folks here that I've talked to today feel the same way.

To Melinda...you are totally amazing and despite this loss, you're going to have a terrific career. Congrats on a fantastic job!!

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Not Surprised Lasann 05-17-07 1
   RE: Not Surprised canuklady 05-17-07 6
       RE: Not Surprised RonReports 05-17-07 8
           RE: Not Surprised canuklady 05-17-07 12
               RE: Not Surprised nailbone 05-18-07 19
 RE: Not Surprised Colonel Zoidberg 05-17-07 2
   RE: Not Surprised canuklady 05-17-07 4
 RE: Not Surprised ulalame 05-17-07 3
   RE: Not Surprised canuklady 05-17-07 5
 RE: Not Surprised iltarion 05-17-07 7
   RE: Not Surprised canuklady 05-17-07 13
 RE: Not Surprised vickyjustme 05-17-07 9
   RE: Not Surprised canuklady 05-17-07 11
 RE: Not Surprised cahaya 05-17-07 10
   RE: Not Surprised canuklady 05-17-07 14
       RE: Not Surprised CTgirl 05-18-07 15
           RE: Not Surprised brighty 05-18-07 16
               RE: Not Surprised cahaya 05-18-07 17
               RE: Not Surprised KoalaChick 05-18-07 18
                   RE: Not Surprised brighty 05-18-07 20
                       RE: Not Surprised nailbone 05-18-07 21
                   RE: Not Surprised canuklady 05-18-07 23
 RE: Not Surprised Mary_Mary 05-18-07 22
   RE: Not Surprised bzooti 05-18-07 24
   RE: Not Surprised memzoo48 05-19-07 25
       RE: Not Surprised agman 05-19-07 26
           RE: Not Surprised memzoo48 05-19-07 27

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Lasann 3616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

05-17-07, 12:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Lasann Click to send private message to Lasann Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Not Surprised"
Melinda has been my favorite from Day 1.

However, Jordin or Blake would make a better American Idol. They are much flashier.

Melinda will have a chance at a career also!

Heaven on Earth! That’s me lying on the beach *giggle*

05-17-07, 04:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail canuklady Click to send private message to canuklady Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Not Surprised"
LOL..I don't know about flashier, but they certainly are younger.

RonReports 218 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

05-17-07, 06:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RonReports Click to send private message to RonReports Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Not Surprised"
>LOL..I don't know about flashier, but
>they certainly are younger.

It was not a question of youth. If a woman is not at all attractive, she could not be an American Idol.

05-17-07, 11:10 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Not Surprised"
Good grief! I thought AI was a talent competition, not a beauty pagent. And besides, Melinda is not an unattractive woman!

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-18-07, 12:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Not Surprised"
It's not a question of age OR attractivenesss, per se.

It's a question of marketability. both Blake AND Jordin are more marketable than Melinda.

That said, there have been more "non-marketable" winners of AI than marketable winners. Kelly and Carrie have been huge, of course, but Ruben, Fantasia, and Taylor have pretty much disappeared.

Colonel Zoidberg 3662 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

05-17-07, 01:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to send private message to Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Not Surprised"
To pin Melinda's loss on the show being rigged or the producers weighting it for Jordin is...well, not the simplest explanation. I invoke Occam's Razor, which states that the simplest explanation is usually the best. And the simplest explanation for Melinda's defeat? Lakisha fans. Now, I would think a lot of Lakisha fans would be on the Melinda bandwagon after her loss, but my wife and I were Lakisha fans, and the minute she was gone, we jumped on Jordin's bandwagon, not Lakisha's. I would speculate that many of Lakisha's fans did the same. Translation? Jordin's safe.

As for Blake beating out Melinda, I think it's safe to say Blake's been safe since Phil and Chris left. He's the last guy standing, which only counts for something when you consider how unique he is. There are not a lot of people who can sing the way he does AND beatbox as well as he does. The beatboxing thing isn't a ticket to the top, but it's a gimmick to hook fans. It does him no good if he's not already a good singer, but it does tons of good if he is.

Either that or the American public was finally fed up with Melinda's deer-in-the-headlights expressions after her performances.

05-17-07, 04:41 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Not Surprised"
Well, that's certainly something I hadn't considered. I suppose because I've considered Melinda the best vocalist from the beginning of the show with Lakisha a close second. When it comes down to it, it's all a matter of personal preference.

ulalame 778 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

05-17-07, 03:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ulalame Click to send private message to ulalame Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Not Surprised"
I'm not surprised, either. Melinda is a great singer but she doesn't evoke "Pop Idol" to me, which is really what this show is about. Both Blake and Jordin embody that ideal more than Melinda. I see Melinda with an adult contemporary music career, like a Nora Jones or Natalie Cole, while both Blake and Jordin appeal much more to the youth market.

Don't worry about Melinda. I think she's got a great chance of going the route of other good singers who didn't make it to the end, like Tamyra Grey and Jennifer Hudson. It's not the end for her by any means.

05-17-07, 04:47 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Not Surprised"
I suppose that's very true, it is a 'Pop Idol' show and sadly, it's not always the folks with the great vocals who win. I'm really not worried about Melinda's career...she's probably already received recording contract offers. I like your idea of an adult contemporary career like Nora Jones or Natalie Cole.

iltarion 1791 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-17-07, 05:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail iltarion Click to send private message to iltarion Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Not Surprised"
LAST EDITED ON 05-17-07 AT 05:15 PM (EST)

Out of 6 seasons, I think the best pure vocalist has only won twice: Kelly and Carrie. So, this shouldn't be that big of a surprise to anyone.
Blake has been the best entertainer/artist all season. It is possible he is the best entertainer/artist that AI has ever seen. His singing is very good, even if not as good as Melinda's, but he brings more to the table.
If I was voting only on Tuesday night, I would have ranked them- Blake, Jordin, Melinda.
Even though everyone, following the judges' lead, pimped Melinda on Tuesday night, I did not think she did as well as Blake or Jordin. Everyone pimped Melinda about her rendition of "I Believe in You and Me," but I disagree completely. For once, she showed to me that she doesn't have great vocal range on the upper register. Her lower register is great, "money" as Paula put it, but she sang that entire song on a lower key then it was meant to be and did not hit the higher notes of the song at all. Actually, I put it with Jordin's "She Works Hard for the Money" (horrible song choice for a 17 year old diva) as the worst performances of the night.
Melinda's second go-round of "I am a Woman," was as ineffective to me as the first time around. That is an assertive but still feminent and sexy song. She again had too much assertiveness and not enough sexiness. The whole point of the song is "I am a strong, capable woman but I'm sexy too." Well, she sold the first part but not the second.
Her middle song was very good, her best of the night, but the song was sang entirely in the lower register, which is Melinda's strength.
I would put Melinda's performances above Jordin's, EXCEPT for Jordin's second rendition of "I have Nothing." I'm sorry. I know a lot of people tried saying the 2nd time wasn't as good as the first, but I am not buying it. That was incredible. Like Fantasia rode that one song to the end and Kat had "Somewhere over the Rainbow," that song alone puts Jordin in the Finals.

05-17-07, 11:20 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Not Surprised"
Points well taken. However, this is where it becomes subjective. In my opinion, while Jordin has amazing talent, her voice is still immature. She lacks the range and maturity of Melinda. I suppose as one of the older demographics, Melinda's voice and style appeals to me while Jordin's, doesn't. And to be perfectly truthful, apologies to Blake's fans, but I find his voice downright annoying.

vickyjustme 4 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

05-17-07, 08:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail vickyjustme Click to send private message to vickyjustme Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Not Surprised"
Hi all..I liked this season, I wonder in the end if the voting viewers were put off by Melinda already having/had a career as a backround singer as opposed to others that are just off the street. I liked her but as stated before she would appeal more to the older crowd where Jordin and Blake to a younger audience.
Just thought I would toss that question out..In any event she has a career in singing no matter what as does Jordin and Blake. Its just the title of AI thats at stake.
Seeya
Vicky

05-17-07, 11:04 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Not Surprised"
You should check out one of the posts on the AI Judges forum. Jordin has quite an impressive resume. She may only be 17, but from her resume, she has a very long list of accomplishments in the entertainment industry and should in fact, be the best prepared contestant of the bunch, including Melinda.

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

05-17-07, 10:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Not Surprised"
At first I and many other folks were stunned, but in retrospect, I'm not surprised either, given the nature and format of AI. There are good comments here and a couple other threads about why she got the fewest votes, but I won't delve into it further as it's already past history. Having said that, I think Melinda will have the most successful career of this season's group.

And it wouldn't surprise me either if Blake won. Too many folks don't want to see Jordin crowned, however much they might like or dislike Blake.

Foo dogs by tribe.

05-17-07, 11:35 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Not Surprised"
I wouldn't be surprised either if Melinda ends up with the most successful career of this season's group. However, I didn't realize that there was that many people who don't want Jordin to win. It would be pretty sad if that's the only reason that Blake won.

CTgirl 8013 desperate attention whore postings

05-18-07, 08:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail CTgirl Click to send private message to CTgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Not Surprised"
If Blake wins it will be because his fans took the time to vote and voted often. It won't be because people were voting against Jordin. Both Blake and Jordin have big fan bases who do vote; A lot Melinda's fan base didn't vote or vote enough (or thought she was safe).

brighty 2 desperate attention whore postings

05-18-07, 10:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail brighty Click to send private message to brighty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Not Surprised"
Hello All,
I agree that Melinda just doesn't have what it takes to do pop which is what a mojority of people like. Blake adds pizzazz to the show. I like him alot but it think Jordin has soooo proved herself. She has an amazing voice and she has what it takes to go big. I agree with one poster that says Melinda is more conservative and Contemporary music. I thought she was boring .. there was no lift to her voice in a lot of songs. it was either very low key or very high key. no in between. although i do think she is gonna have a career and i do wish her the best. I don't care who wins at this point because i think they are by far the best 2.

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

05-18-07, 11:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Not Surprised"
First, welcome to these boards, brighty. (And I'll add a welcome to canuklady here, too!). I generally agree with your assessment that Melinda is less 'pop' than Blake and perhaps Jordin, one reason I think Blake will win the title. Melinda might be boring to the pop crowd, but many people think she is the most talented of the group.

But talent alone isn't what AI is about. It's more about appeal to the audience who actually votes, and that's why we'll see more of some kinds of singers/entertainers (like Blake) than others (like Melinda) win the AI title.

This may spell AI's doom, though, as it continues to attract a more limited kind of 'pop' audience, with viewers having music tastes other than 'pop' deciding to tune into something else. As past seasons and winners have demonstrated by their subsequent chart ratings, voting power doesn't necessarily translate to purchasing power.

Foo dogs by tribe.

KoalaChick 509 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

05-18-07, 12:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KoalaChick Click to send private message to KoalaChick Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Not Surprised"
Brighty, first of all, welcome to the boards. But I have to say, I respectfully disagree completely with your assessment of Melinda. Oh...my...cod, boring? No lift?? On the last night, she took on Whitney AND Tina, and knocked them both out of the park...with her own twist on the songs! There is no way a Jordin or a Blake could have handled those challenges. Melinda is a-freakin-mazing!

brighty 2 desperate attention whore postings

05-18-07, 01:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail brighty Click to send private message to brighty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Not Surprised"
That's okay.. we all have our opinions. I just think IMO that Jordin has done wonderful from day one. but the other poster is right (sorry forgot your name already) It is about the voting and apparently Melinda didn't get the votes. Blake and Jordin did and they are the favorites. I guess it is all on opinion and how people hear things. To me.. Melinda was boring,. To others she may have stood out but she didn't stand out as much as she should have this week. I guess Blake and Jordin are just my favorites. Never liked Melinda from the beginning. Not sure why. Don't have a explanation so i can't back that up. LOL. Sometimes the right winner doesn't win. I mean look at Chris Daughtry. He never made it, and has lots of big hits right now. Another one would be Rueben Studder.. was that his name. He made it and you NEVER hear of him.
So any of these talented people can make a career out of themselves.

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

05-18-07, 02:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Not Surprised"
I'm with you, brighty. Technically, Melinda was the best singer, but there was just something about her that I didn't like.

05-18-07, 03:41 PM (EST)
23. "RE: Not Surprised"
LOL..well, obviously I totally agree with you. I can only hope that when Cdn. Idol kicks off for this year's competition, that we have some singers with Melinda's talent!!

Mary_Mary 3 desperate attention whore postings

05-18-07, 03:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Mary_Mary Click to send private message to Mary_Mary Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Not Surprised"
Yes, you're right, it was no surprise that Jordin will be in the finale. Why not, she has earned that right, and definitely deserves it.

My gut tells me, the way Jordin has been chosen first and told to sit down by Ryan S., she won this competition hands down (or should I say votes) weeks ago.

It was a major jaw dropper to me, however, that Blake was chosen for the finale ahead of Melinda.

While I hate to agree with Simon (lol!), Melinda, too, earned the right to be in the finale. In my humble opinion, Blake should have been gone a couple of weeks ago.

Seriously, you have no further interest in 'who wins between Jordin and Blake'? I'd like to share that emotion with you and the other folks mentioned here, but if Blake wins, I will know that the votes are controlled by the much younger generation of teeniebop..x, and the rest of us should sincerely reconsider wasting out dime, voting, next AI season?

Blake shines in his 'own' song style right; however, Jordin is a DIVA!

bzooti 82 desperate attention whore postings

05-18-07, 04:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bzooti Click to send private message to bzooti Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Not Surprised"

>My gut tells me, the way
>Jordin has been chosen first
>and told to sit down
>by Ryan S., she won
>this competition hands down (or
>should I say votes) weeks
>ago.

My gut tells me that's what they WANTED us to think.

DialIdol had all three neck-and-neck. I think it probably really was close.

memzoo48 347 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

05-19-07, 05:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail memzoo48 Click to send private message to memzoo48 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Not Surprised"
,I'd like to
>share that emotion with you
>and the other folks mentioned
>here, but if Blake wins,
>I will know that the
>votes are controlled by the
>much younger generation of teeniebop..x,

I'm a baby boomer and I vote for Blake! I love current music, even most rap (not the songs that degrade women). I've watched AI since the first season and never felt compelled to vote until Blake captured my attention. I picked him to win early on. My point is, though, that it's not necessarily just teenieboppers and x'ers voting for Blake.

agman 11166 desperate attention whore postings

05-19-07, 06:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail agman Click to send private message to agman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Not Surprised"
Maybe Melinda comes off as too old to be an American Idol. I happen to think she was awesome. Now I hope Blake wins

I know everything, except the things I don't know

memzoo48 347 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

05-19-07, 07:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail memzoo48 Click to send private message to memzoo48 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Not Surprised"
I agree, Melinda is absolutely an amazing singer. But she did seem too mature and refined to be a pop idol. I *heart* Blake!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •