The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Broke Meals"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

Coconut 10856 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-28-05, 12:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Coconut Click to send private message to Coconut Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Broke Meals"
LAST EDITED ON 11-28-05 AT 12:18 PM (EST)

Yes, this is the festive season, but if you're spending the little extra on gifts (and pity cookies) instead of on skinless boneless chicken breasts, what do you serve the hungry masses?
Tuna noodle is all very well, but let's have some suggestions for cheap and nutritious meals!

I promised vols this recipe a long time ago, and here it finally is: Boeuf aux Légumes. It's my mother-in-law's recipe, and it really is the best I've ever tasted.

Buy a blade roast, boneless or otherwise. Cut it into big chunks (but don't remove the fat). Heat some oil and brown the meat with onions, salt and pepper. Add a clove of garlic when the meat is almost done.

Prepare the sauce:
1 can of tomato sauce
1 T brown sugar (DO NOT OMIT)
Beef broth
Chili paste (I use sambal oelek)

Pour the sauce over the beef chunks, add carrot, turnip, and potato chunks, and bake, covered, at low heat for a few hours (I swear that's all the recipe says; my MIL didn't give me any time. I usually put it at about 250 for an afternoon). an hour or so before serving, add chopped cabbage, mushrooms, or green beans.

This is very good with bread and butter or biscuits.

Tonight, I'm making a vegetable curry and some dhal. It's a little more complex than the stew, but with good rice, mango chutney, and plain yogurt, it doesn't taste like cheap food. Add pappadums and it's good enough for company.

Vegetable Curry

Heat 3T oil and fry two chopped onions and a couple of cloves of minced garlic. Add 2T curry poder, 1t turmeric, and 1t whole cumin seeds. Fry until aromatic.

Then, add 1 cup chopped tomatoes and cook until a thick sauce results. Add 5 or 6 cups of chopped vegetables (carrots, cabbage, potatoes, turnips, green beans). Stir until everything is covered by sauce, add salt to taste, and simmer until veggies are tender. (To fancy this up, I would reduce the tomato and add a can of coconut milk.)

Dhal (make in the morning and reheat for best flavour)

In a small saucepan, put 1c dried split peas and 2.5 cups water. Soak for 1/2 hour or so. Add 1t turmeric, 1/2t cayenne, and 1t salt. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover partially, and simmer 20-30 minutes. You want the peas to be disintegrating and forming a kind of mushy sauce; you may have to add a little water.

Then, sauté in 3T margarine or butter:
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1t whole cumin seed
10 whole cloves
5 whole black peppercorns

Fry 10-12 minutes. Add onion mixture to peas, let sit. Reheat before serving.

As you can see, this could also have been titled "1534 ways to use carrots, cabbage, and turnips"; because of our climate, those three vegetables are what's cheapest and best most of the winter. I like them, but it's nice to disguise them in something really flavourful once and a while.

Edited because, while I am full of gratitude for my multiple sigs, I do not need to show them off all at the same time.

And I got the first entry in the Bebolicious posting challenge.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Stew-pendous! zombiebaby 11-28-05 1
   RE: Stew-pendous! J Slice 11-28-05 3
       RE: Stew-pendous! Coconut 11-28-05 5
       RE: Stew-pendous! zombiebaby 11-28-05 6
           RE: Stew-pendous! greenmonstah 11-28-05 21
 RE: Broke Meals Estee 11-28-05 2
   RE: Broke Meals Breezy 11-28-05 4
   RE: Broke Meals J Slice 11-28-05 7
   RE: Broke Meals Snidget 11-28-05 8
   ramen noodles blacknwhitedog 11-28-05 14
 RE: Broke Meals Bobdechemist 11-28-05 9
   Oh, sure. Coconut 11-28-05 10
       RE: Oh, sure. Bobdechemist 11-28-05 12
 Spanish Rice and Mac and Cheese add... Snidget 11-28-05 11
 RE: Broke Meals dragonflies 11-28-05 13
 what the heck is? (are?) blacknwhitedog 11-28-05 15
   RE: what the heck is? (are?) Coconut 11-28-05 16
       RE: what the heck is? (are?) blacknwhitedog 11-28-05 17
           RE: what the heck is? (are?) Coconut 11-28-05 18
           RE: what the heck is? (are?) J Slice 11-28-05 20
               RE: what the heck is? (are?) blacknwhitedog 11-28-05 22
                   RE: what the heck is? (are?) Coconut 11-28-05 24
                       fermented blacknwhitedog 11-28-05 25
 RE: Broke Meals greenmonstah 11-28-05 19
   RE: Broke Meals Coconut 11-28-05 23
       RE: Broke Meals greenmonstah 11-28-05 26

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

zombiebaby 7356 desperate attention whore postings

11-28-05, 12:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zombiebaby Click to send private message to zombiebaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Stew-pendous!"
I just started some stew this morning in my slow cooker beef stew! I used cider and apples, potatoes, onions, shallots, green beans, carrots, beef chunks(no moose!). I use the brownn sugar too! I also used some cabernet. All day long I go back and taste and add.

I am having both egg noodles and biscuits tonight! Cabbage and turnips? Bleh. But I wonder what sweet potatoes would taste like in there?

A Very Nutzy Christmas
How is the cervix?

J Slice 13166 desperate attention whore postings

11-28-05, 12:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail J%20Slice Click to send private message to J%20Slice Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Stew-pendous!"
I'm currently hunting for a beef-potato stew made with stout.

If you can give me a good recipe for stew, though, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Brain lint

11-28-05, 12:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Coconut Click to send private message to Coconut Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Stew-pendous!"
You could probably replace the beef broth with stout in the above recipe and just use potatoes. It's a pretty flexible combination.

Uncharacteristically tasteful sig thanks to Mon Cherie

zombiebaby 7356 desperate attention whore postings

11-28-05, 12:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zombiebaby Click to send private message to zombiebaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Stew-pendous!"
What Coco said! Replace liquid with stout! I use Guinness. Plus it tastes really good with it as well.

mmmm...stick to your ribs.

A Very Nutzy Christmas

greenmonstah 10761 desperate attention whore postings

11-28-05, 04:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail greenmonstah Click to send private message to greenmonstah Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Stew-pendous!"
Hey. I just rinsed my hair with a can of Guiness this morning.

Warning. Beef Stew is not a hair product.

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

11-28-05, 12:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Broke Meals"
Got anything that works with ramen blocks?

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings

11-28-05, 12:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Broke Meals"
Just add any veggies and you have soup.

11-28-05, 12:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail J%20Slice Click to send private message to J%20Slice Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Broke Meals"
Cook your ramen noodles. Don't add the flavored salt.

In addition, you will need:
a teensy bit of crushed garlic
a couple of green onions, chopped
mild thai peanut sauce
2 tablespoons crushed peanuts
1/2 tsp soy sauce
pinch of ginger

optional:

grilled chicken
or
1/2 cup firm tofu (cook with the other ingredients)
or
cooked beef

In a wok, heat enough sesame oil to just coat the pan.

Once hot, toss in the green onions, and stir for about 30 seconds. Now? Add the ramen, and stir enough to get the onions mixed into the noodles well. At this point, dump in as much peanut sauce as is needed to coat (but not drown) the noodles, the soy sauce, the garlic, ginger, and your optional protein item. Cook for about a minute, until everything looks all tasty-like (and is WARM).

Put in bowl, dump peanuts on top, and consume.

Brain lint

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

11-28-05, 12:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Broke Meals"
Ramen noodles, how do I love thee...

If you get tired of the soup you can do them as lo mein. Cook the noodles in water, reserve the flavor packet for later. Put in any veggies you got handy (if they need cooking boil with the noodles, if they are already cooked then hold on until you add sauce to noodles. If it is a special occasion add any leftover meat-like substance you might have handy, if it needs some heating up do it now, if you don't want to over cook it add when the cooked veggies are added.

Take the flavor packet and add maybe a scant cup of water and about a teaspoon or two of corn starch.

Drain the noodles/veggies when cooked. Add sauce mix (and cooked veggies) and heat until the sauce starts to boil a bit so it will thicken.

Enjoy.

2005 Holiday Sig Shop. I've been Nutzed!

blacknwhitedog 6532 desperate attention whore postings

11-28-05, 04:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail blacknwhitedog Click to send private message to blacknwhitedog Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "ramen noodles"
Spaghetti sauce- minus the seasoning pack of course.

created by tribephyl 2005

Bobdechemist 3932 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

11-28-05, 12:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bobdechemist Click to send private message to Bobdechemist Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Broke Meals"
mmmmmm pity cookies.....

Bob is always grateful for pity cookies.

11-28-05, 12:49 PM (EST)
10. "Oh, sure."
Suck up NOW.

I'm a squirrel, eh? *taps finger on recipe book impatiently*

Bobdechemist 3932 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

11-28-05, 01:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bobdechemist Click to send private message to Bobdechemist Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Oh, sure."
You mean when I might get something out of it?
Um, yes, that always when I suck up. I'm smart like that.

A very very cute squirrel! I like squirrels. I am filled with gratitude and happiness every time I see their cute squirrely selves with their cute squirrely nuts, almost as much gratitude as I feel when friends starve themselves and their family to send me pity cookies with extra nuts. Ah squirrels.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

11-28-05, 01:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "Spanish Rice and Mac and Cheese add ons and more"
Basically brown a half a pound of hamburger meat and drain. Cook some onion and green pepper in the grease coated pan. Put the brown meat and veggies in a pot with like a cup of rice and replace some of the water with a small can of tomato sauce. Simmer until rice is tender and liquid absorbed.

Mac and whatever.

I've done it with leftover ham, a can of tuna, hot dogs. Add the meat to the macaroni as it cooks. Prepare the cheese sauce and mix in. Also good is take the other 1/2 of a pound of hamburger (this is how 1 pound of hamburger lasts all week for one graduate student for dinner and you have two different things to eat) While the MAc cooks brown it with some onion. Add the hamburger to the mac when you do the cheese sauce and you can also add in peas

Egg drop soup.

Heat up a can of chicken broth (or veggie broth) when it starts to simmer slowly pour a beaten egg into the broth while stiring the broth a bit. Chopped green onion on top as a garnish.

Sweet and sour. Stir fry up some veggies (onion carrot green pepper, pinapple if you are feeling fancy) USually when I was on the cheap I'd boil a chicken once in a while and keep the meat on hand for this sort of thing (or do about the same with a curry powder, broth and cornstarch rather than the sweet sour sauce) Mix together 1/4 cup ketchup, 1/4 cup sugar 1/4 cup vinegar (the cheap white stuff works, apple cider vinegar works too) Add a cup of water (you can use the juice from the canned pinapple for some of the water) and a teaspoon or two of corn starch. Pour the sauce into the pan with the cooked stuff and simmer until the corn starch thickens it up.

A Syren Creation

dragonflies 8051 desperate attention whore postings

11-28-05, 03:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dragonflies Click to send private message to dragonflies Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Broke Meals"
Sambal Oelek is quite a bit hotter than chili paste, isn't it? My dad eats the stuff right out of the jar, with every meal. Sweats with every meal too.

Sounds yummy though! I'm sure Vols will express gratitude for you posting this, as do I.

11-28-05, 04:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail blacknwhitedog Click to send private message to blacknwhitedog Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "what the heck is? (are?)"
LAST EDITED ON 11-28-05 AT 04:12 PM (EST)

pity cookies?
blade roast?
sambal oelek?
dhal?
pappadums?

with gratitude, Bawdy

(oops bad spelling)

11-28-05, 04:18 PM (EST)
16. "RE: what the heck is? (are?)"
pity cookies: Baked goods that Bob may or may not receive this Christmas. It depends on whether or not she stops calling me a) a squirrel and b) batshit loco f'n insane.

blade roast: Er, it was the best translation I could think of for "bas de palette"; I think it's called shoulder roast or blade roast in English. It should be flat, cheap, and fatty.

sambal oelek: is Indonesian chili and garlic paste. Very spicy, very flavourful. I put it in almost everything, including tuna noodle and cheese sauce. It gives a zip without being too hot (once you figure out how much to put in).

dhal: it's a spicy lentil sauce/dish. Recipe above. Very yummy.

pappadums: kind of like a tortilla chip made with lentil flour. They're very thin and very crisp, and they're ideal for scooping up rice and dhal.

Any more questions? *smooches Bawdy*

11-28-05, 04:22 PM (EST)
17. "RE: what the heck is? (are?)"
do you know how to make Kimchee?

come down here and cook for me?smmmooch

11-28-05, 04:34 PM (EST)
18. "RE: what the heck is? (are?)"
Nope, no idea. But I could ask my Korean friend.

I wish I could. Why don't you come over for dinner instead? It'll be ready at 5:30.

11-28-05, 04:43 PM (EST)
20. "RE: what the heck is? (are?)"
Blecch.

Why would you WANT to make kimchi?

'round here, it's sold in jars, pre-pickled and ready to be, um, "consumed"

11-28-05, 04:49 PM (EST)
22. "RE: what the heck is? (are?)"
yeah I know, it looks nasty to me- some kind of pickled hot pepper cabbage stuff

when you're in the process of adopting from Korea, they drill it into your head that you HAVE to know how to make kimchee (kimchi)

Mr. Bawdy just left for Dallas

11-28-05, 04:50 PM (EST)
24. "RE: what the heck is? (are?)"
Fermented. Fermented pickled hot pepper cabbage stuff.

What's he doing in Dallas?

11-28-05, 04:52 PM (EST)
25. "fermented"
oh yeah- you have to let it sit out in a jar for like a week before you eat it I think

database training- and staying out of trouble I hope!

11-28-05, 04:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail greenmonstah Click to send private message to greenmonstah Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Broke Meals"

Luminou's Uncle coming over for din din?

Beef may be a tad too chewy for the lose dentures.

11-28-05, 04:49 PM (EST)
23. "RE: Broke Meals"
*WHACK*

Shouldn't you be baking pity cookies?

11-28-05, 04:55 PM (EST)
26. "RE: Broke Meals"
That's just the Canadian beef talking.

Will you please drive down here and get me some pringles? I am having an intense craving.

They have been baked and are ready to be shipped. Chocolate chip. Nothing too exciting.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •